smp (barry) vs ross university. ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana co.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i am a fl resident. i applied to med school for fall 2006; to tons of places. had one interview at colorado. got rejected everywhere.

i plan on re-applying next summer.

i recently got a call from barry saying i was accepted to the 2 yr. program.

still waiting to hear from drexel msp, rosalind franklin, bu ma.ms, & nymc.

would anyone recommend barry (or other smp) over ross university? is it hard to get a US residency and/or specialize coming from ross?

much thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

im pretty much in your same place except that i didnt apply to US med schools. i couldve gone to ross but chose to do the barry smp and will be starting the 2 year program this fall. i know i can kill off those 2 years by going to ross but id rather much improve my grades and hopefully have the chance to get into a US school (DO or MD doesnt matter to me). soemtimes i see caribbean schools as trading diplomas for dollars but thats just me and i may catch a lot of heat from someone on here that may read it. in my opinion, go to barry.

Do you know anyone who has completed the Barry program and gotten in to medical school? Do you know the average GPA one would need to get to gain acceptance?

Would it only be worth it if you can make all A's

Members don't see this ad :)
future doc??? said:
im pretty much in your same place except that i didnt apply to US med schools. i couldve gone to ross but chose to do the barry smp and will be starting the 2 year program this fall. i know i can kill off those 2 years by going to ross but id rather much improve my grades and hopefully have the chance to get into a US school (DO or MD doesnt matter to me). soemtimes i see caribbean schools as trading diplomas for dollars but thats just me and i may catch a lot of heat from someone on here that may read it. in my opinion, go to barry.

Trading diplomas for dollars??

There were more than 5,000 US caribbean grads who matched in 2006. The AAMC president recognized carib grads (named Ross and St George) in his March 2006 newsletter.

After finishing residency......thats all that matters.

This thread actually made me join SDN. I am a recent graduate of the BMS program at Barry and in my opinion it was a waste of money. The academics were great prior to them forcing one of the only two full time professors out, so now you are basically stuck with a bunch of adjuncts from , the regional DO school, who could care less about your matriculating into a professional program. The statistics they give about the number of students who matriculated into professional programs are skewed and bogus. I am not telling you to go to Ross but at least you will have a MD when you finish and you may even place in a residency of your dreams, Who knows? But if you attend Barry you'll only end up with an additional $50K in debt and still wonder if you will ever become a doctor. All in all, I suggest you look for a program that either promises you a spot in their following year's matriculating class or is at least associated with a medical school, so that you have an increased chance of getting in when you finish the program. This is only my opinion but I'm sure I could round up several more Barry Graduates who share it.

mshollywoodmd said:
This thread actually made me join SDN. I am a recent graduate of the BMS program at Barry and in my opinion it was a waste of money. The academics were great prior to them forcing one of the only two full time professors out, so now you are basically stuck with a bunch of adjuncts from , the regional DO school, who could care less about your matriculating into a professional program. The statistics they give about the number of students who matriculated into professional programs are skewed and bogus. I am not telling you to go to Ross but at least you will have a MD when you finish and you may even place in a residency of your dreams, Who knows? But if you attend Barry you'll only end up with an additional $50K in debt and still wonder if you will ever become a doctor. All in all, I suggest you look for a program that either promises you a spot in their next following year matriculating class or is at least associated with a medical school, so that you have an increased chance of getting in when you finish the program. This is only my opinion but I'm sure I could round up several more Barry Graduates who share it.

Good choice.....some of these people are ignorant about these ineffective programs that truly operate to make money....

You rather give that money to a reputable carib school....at least you will get an MD.

Shah_Patel_PT said:
Good choice.....some of these people are ignorant about these ineffective programs that truly operate to make money....

You rather give that money to a reputable carib school....at least you will get an MD.

I never try to foster my opinion on anyone. I tend to make shrewd observations and hope the other person sees my point. Between the both of us I hope we convinced him to at least reflect on his decision to attend Barry instead of Ross. I agree with your shrewd observation. :)

banana co. said:
hi. i am a fl resident. i applied to med school for fall 2006; to tons of places. had one interview at colorado. got rejected everywhere.

i plan on re-applying next summer.

i recently got a call from barry saying i was accepted to the 2 yr. program.

still waiting to hear from drexel msp, rosalind franklin, bu ma.ms, & nymc.

would anyone recommend barry (or other smp) over ross university? is it hard to get a US residency and/or specialize coming from ross?

much thanks.

I did the MBS(MS Biomedical Science) at Nova Southeastern University(NSU)...that regional DO school someone else referred too. I was very happy with the education I recieved since you take all your classes with the 1st yr DO students. And if you pass, your guranteed a spot in the following years class. Hope this helps....

Shah_Patel_PT said:

About 70% of the students who enter the NSU-MBS program matriculate into the DO program there, while some other students choose to enter other medical schools. That being said, I personally know 4 ppl who did the barry program and then started medical school at NOVA. I also know of quite a few ppl who ended up in the NSUMBS program after completing the Barry one. Bottom line, the NSU program gives you a gurantee to its DO school if you pass. The barry program isnt as tough with grades....I know theres DO haters out there, so let me say this...the carrib isnt for everyone. hope this helps...

doc3341 said:
About 70% of the students who enter the NSU-MBS program matriculate into the DO program there, while some other students choose to enter other medical schools. That being said, I personally know 4 ppl who did the barry program and then started medical school at NOVA. I also know of quite a few ppl who ended up in the NSUMBS program after completing the Barry one. Bottom line, the NSU program gives you a gurantee to its DO school if you pass. The barry program isnt as tough with grades....I know theres DO haters out there, so let me say this...the carrib isnt for everyone. hope this helps...

This point is exactly why I would not refer someone to the Barry program. If you still have to do a second masters in the same field in order to get into a medical school what exactly was the point in doing the first? I never said that you would not get into medical school after graduating from the Barry program because I do know people who did but it was not because of the program. It was due to them retaking the MCAT and adding more ECs. The people who did matriculate into MD schools from Barry stated that their interviewers never even asked them about their degree from Barry only about their undergrad grades. Most of them had to bring up the degree to the interviewers themselves.

Another thing is Barry has an affliation of sorts with Nova and if you are contemplating going the DO route it could be advantageous for you to attend Barry but nothing concrete is promised to you. I would shoot for the program at Nova that doc3341 mentioned, that way you are at least guaranteed a position.

why not take a year and do research while reapplying. It will strengthen your med school app. and residency app. down the road. You will also be making money and doing something productive and desireable in many admissions committee's eyes. I think going to the Caribbean is a huge cost and will not guarantee your acceptance either. In my view, research would be favored as you are showing you have interest in academic medicine (research). It will also give you something to talk about on interviews and most likely get you a good letter of rec. That's what I did and I got in the 2nd time around!

I had approx 8 very close friends of mine who I met at Ross, and we all did very well in the match. Im doing anesthesia at Ohio State. The others are doing ER at Duke univerity, ER at LSU shreveport, Anesthesiolgy at Wake forrest, Pathothy at wayne state, Radiology at Unv of Chicago, Surgery in houston, and OB in NYC. One of my better friends who scored and did well really wanted FP in Chicago and she Prematched at her program. The Extremely hard resdencies for U.S. applicants like DERM, Ortho, plastics, and RAD ONC are almost impossible for Ross grads unless you know someone...which is usually the same case with US grads. In the end, if you go to Ross and graduate, you will have an M.D. and the stigmata is gone as soon as you start residency...we are one of 2 carib schools who have no issues with practicing in all 50 states.

I have no idea about the other school you are talikng about....just wanted to get my positive expirence with Ross on the table.

Swaydaa said:
I had approx 8 very close friends of mine who I met at Ross, and we all did very well in the match. Im doing anesthesia at Ohio State. The others are doing ER at Duke univerity, ER at LSU shreveport, Anesthesiolgy at Wake forrest, Pathothy at wayne state, Radiology at Unv of Chicago, Surgery in houston, and OB in NYC. One of my better friends who scored and did well really wanted FP in Chicago and she Prematched at her program. The Extremely hard resdencies for U.S. applicants like DERM, Ortho, plastics, and RAD ONC are almost impossible for Ross grads unless you know someone...which is usually the same case with US grads. In the end, if you go to Ross and graduate, you will have an M.D. and the stigmata is gone as soon as you start residency...we are one of 2 carib schools who have no issues with practicing in all 50 states.

I have no idea about the other school you are talikng about....just wanted to get my positive expirence with Ross on the table.

Congrats to you and your friends for matching in your desired residency programs. :) There is a stigma associated with foreign medical schools but your experience oppugns if that stigma is warranted.

future doc??? said:
...soemtimes i see caribbean schools as trading diplomas for dollars ...

You shouldn't be so hasty with comments like these, could easily offend many.

what do you mean that the stats at Barry are bogus? They called me to say that I was accepted and said that 77% of their students got into medical school. Based on the list of schools they say their graduates were accepted to on their website, it seems like students got into a range of schools. Did you have difficulty getting in after completing the program? Are they totally lying about these stats? or is it just wildly exaggerated?

I graduated in 2004 from Duke. I did one year of research my junior year, then an independent study my senior year. After graduating I got a research fellowship that I am finishing up now. I am going to be the 2nd author on two papers and 1st author on another. My PI is an MD so I have gained tons of both clinical experience and research experience with this fellowship.

Still, it didn't help me get into medical school. My science gpa is extremely low; a 2.5 that is why I figured that i need to do some kind of program where I can improve my science courses. I'm not really convinced that more research is going to do anything for me.

I know that every person's situation is different. I figured I needed some type of special masters program or I will never get in. Given this do you still think Barry is a waste of time?

thanks and i really appreciate your opinion. if you know anyone else that i could speak to directly about the barry program i would really appreciate getting in contact.

banana co. said:
Do you know anyone who has completed the Barry program and gotten in to medical school? Do you know the average GPA one would need to get to gain acceptance?

Would it only be worth it if you can make all A's

I actually have a few people at my school that did the Barry program and another friend that's at Morehouse Medical school now. So the program obviously helps. I know they said that they had to perform well in the program but they didn't have to get all A's. From what I hear the majority of the people that graduated with them did get accepted into med schools...both DO and MD.

Swaydaa said:

The overwhelming number of spots in derm/rad onc/plastics go to grads from US medical schools---- and in most cases, it's not because people know somebody. Usually the people who get these spots are at the top of their class with tons of research. Going to a carrib school will make your hurdle that much more difficult, given that the best US students are going for these spots.

medgator said:
The overwhelming number of spots in derm/rad onc/plastics go to grads from US medical schools---- and in most cases, it's not because people know somebody. Usually the people who get these spots are at the top of their class with tons of research. Going to a carrib school will make your hurdle that much more difficult, given that the best US students are going for these spots.

This guy/gal is on crack in regards to the "In most cases, it's not because people know somebody". To exclude the "Who you know" for these ultra competitive fileds is obsurd. I personally know US Grads in the top 10% at major intitutions re-applying this year with a pristine application. It's all about supply and demand. My cousin with who scored well below me on the USMLE with average grades landed a Derm spot because my uncle had a friend directly related to the Dermatolgy program. I have seen this countless times before. If these spots had a 1000 positions a year I could see and understand the above post.
If you want an ultra-competitive residency...stick with a US school as the above poster stated. It's just very tough to get these spots NO MATTER who you are.

Swaydaa said:
This guy/gal is on crack in regards to the "In most cases, it's not because people know somebody". To exclude the "Who you know" for these ultra competitive fileds is obsurd. I personally know US Grads in the top 10% at major intitutions re-applying this year with a pristine application. It's all about supply and demand. My cousin with who scored well below me on the USMLE with average grades landed a Derm spot because my uncle had a friend directly related to the Dermatolgy program. I have seen this countless times before. If these spots had a 1000 positions a year I could see and understand the above post.
If you want an ultra-competitive residency...stick with a US school as the above poster stated. It's just very tough to get these spots NO MATTER who you are.

I am just going with my experience on interviews in the rad onc circuit. Most of the people who match dont have a direct connection via family, but instead got to know people at their department as well other departments that they rotated at. You combine this with research and solid GPA/USMLEs and you've got a decent shot--- not surefire, but decent. Every single person on the trail was a US allo grad from generally well-known state or private schools.