SMP Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarosan

Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping to get some advice on whether I should apply to a SMP. I had a 3.40 cGPA/3.10 sGPA as an undergrad. After that, I applied to a traditional masters program in Pharmacology, where I have received a 3.80 GPA so far, and which I am going to be graduating in May.

From my understanding, a traditional masters program grades are viewed as inflated, so I am debating on whether applying to a SMP is right in my case. Or should I work on my ECs and studying for the MCAT?

For reference,
-10 hours shadowing
-250 hours volunteering in a hospital
-10 hours + 20 hours + 30 hours non clinical volunteering as a soup kitchen, high school tutor, contract tracer
-60 hours as a HS volleyball scorekeeper
-1000+ hours pharm tech

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you need a MCAT for SMP programs. I would go all out studying for that and do lite volunteering (community based) if you can. In my experience schools are more interested in that compared to any other EC.

Hello,
I was hoping to get some advice on whether I should apply to a SMP. I had a 3.40 cGPA/3.10 sGPA as an undergrad. After that, I applied to a traditional masters program in Pharmacology, where I have received a 3.80 GPA so far, and which I am going to be graduating in May.

From my understanding, a traditional masters program grades are viewed as inflated, so I am debating on whether applying to a SMP is right in my case. Or should I work on my ECs and studying for the MCAT?

For reference,
-10 hours shadowing
-250 hours volunteering in a hospital
-10 hours + 20 hours + 30 hours non clinical volunteering as a soup kitchen, high school tutor, contract tracer
-60 hours as a HS volleyball scorekeeper
-1000+ hours pharm tech
Your MS GPA will count for DO schools.

But if you're boning for the MD, then yes, do a SMP. OR, a DYI post-bac

You still need more shadowing hours and nonclinical volunteering