Should I do an SMP or formal postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hadv3r

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, please move it if you feel the need to)

I am a current reapplicant applying mainly TMDSAS. Stats are ~3.57 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA + 516 MCAT (130/129/130/127).

First cycle (EY 2022) I applied with ~300 clinical hours, 25 shadowing, 200 volunteering, and various leadership positions on campus. I ended up getting 3 IIs (TCU, Baylor, TCOM) but ultimately rejected at all 3.

Second cycle (EY 2023) I improved my clinical hours up to about ~2000 (plus currently working as an MA so will have more), ~350 volunteering hours, 25 more shadowing hours, new tutoring experience, and significantly improved my essays. Currently I have 4 IIs (McGovern, Baylor, TCOM, and UT Tyler), and I know the cycle is still very early and the TMDSAS match is in March, but I have not received a prematch and I feel exactly where I was a year ago.

I think the only thing holding me back is my GPA (which I find frusturating considering I have ~4.0 in my last 60 credits/big upward trend) and a 516 MCAT. I believe if I don't get in this year I will have to improve that GPA and most likely retake the MCAT since I would have to take another year off. I believe I could get my MCAT to a 520 since the only section holding me back was P/S.

Some background info, I have about ~125 credits and if I did a formal postbac I could get my cumulative up to a ~3.7 and science to around a ~3.55ish. This is assuming during my postbac I would do 30 credits in total (15 each semester). I feel as if this is my best route, but I've been told by others to do an SMP. My question is, would it be better to do an SMP or a formal postbac given my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Were the last 60 credits heavily in science courses? The upward trend is strong, but if your sGPA is at 3.39, it might be that you had a good deal of non-science courses.

Interview skills are the first thing I’d look at, especially since Baylor and TCOM were interested again.

I would not suggest an SMP in your case.

Reactions: 1 users
Were the last 60 credits heavily in science courses? The upward trend is strong, but if your sGPA is at 3.39, it might be that you had a good deal of non-science courses.

Interview skills are the first thing I’d look at, especially since Baylor and TCOM were interested again.

I would not suggest an SMP in your case.
I don't have my spreadsheet on me rn, but about 40 credits were hard sciences (genetics, biochem, immunobiology, microbiology, physics, etc.). Some of them were also in "easier" science classes like marine biology and invertebrate biology.

Maybe my interview skills suck, but I am pretty sure they're not bad. At the worst, they're probably average. I have had multiple mock interviews and I was told that I do seem nervous when the interview first starts but afterwards my personality comes out, and in my last few mock interviews they told me that I was a lot better and no real major areas of improvement.

I appreciate the feedback. I will most likely just avoid doing an SMP. I do think my only areas of improvement are increasing that GPA and building a better narrative around more focused ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have my spreadsheet on me rn, but about 40 credits were hard sciences (genetics, biochem, immunobiology, microbiology, physics, etc.). Some of them were also in "easier" science classes like marine biology and invertebrate biology.

Maybe my interview skills suck, but I am pretty sure they're not bad. At the worst, they're probably average. I have had multiple mock interviews and I was told that I do seem nervous when the interview first starts but afterwards my personality comes out, and in my last few mock interviews they told me that I was a lot better and no real major areas of improvement.

I appreciate the feedback. I will most likely just avoid doing an SMP. I do think my only areas of improvement are increasing that GPA and building a better narrative around more focused ECs.
Many people w/ average interview ability get waitlisted or rejected. You're competing against plenty of people with better GPAs and nearly the same MCAT.

I think the # of II's you're garnering means you don't need to go the SMP route. Clearly you're getting your foot in the door with your numbers. Your MCAT is good, but your GPA (and typically the higher weighted of the two) is below average. You can't afford for your interview to be just average or below average.

I would really, really dedicate a lot of time to interview prep. Find new mock interviewers. I usually don't advocate paying for those types of services, but you have 4 golden ticket opportunities and you can't strike out on all 4. Each of those schools (sans UTT given it's new) have pretty good odds at getting in after the interview.

As someone that went through multiple cycles with a similar GPA, I can relate to how frustrating it can be. I think it's probably prudent to plan on taking more courses in the Spring, and make them harder courses, not easy stuff like marine and invert bio, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
@Darrow O'Lykos thank you so much for the reply!

i think you’re right in that an average interview can sink an application. Tbh, I am a pretty social guy and a pretty good communicator. While I may be a bit nervous initially during the interview, I feel like I came across as enthusiastic. It’s just so hard to gauge since I can’t get feedback from schools.

I did pay for Mappd’s interview prep, and while it was ok it was not worth the money. Maybe I need to look into another service.

Also, to your knowledge is not getting a prematch with an early interview a bad sign, or should I just be patient at this point?

Oh and thanks again for the advice, seems like an SMP is definitely not for me. I think rather than doing a formal postbac I’ll instead do a DIY postbac and just add a few classes to my app just in case and maybe a more impactful job!

i think you’re right in that an average interview can sink an application. Tbh, I am a pretty social guy and a pretty good communicator. While I may be a bit nervous initially during the interview, I feel like I came across as enthusiastic. It’s just so hard to gauge since I can’t get feedback from schools.

I did pay for Mappd’s interview prep, and while it was ok it was not worth the money. Maybe I need to look into another service.

Also, to your knowledge is not getting a prematch with an early interview a bad sign, or should I just be patient at this point?

Oh and thanks again for the advice, seems like an SMP is definitely not for me. I think rather than doing a formal postbac I’ll instead do a DIY postbac and just add a few classes to my app just in case and maybe a more impactful job!

I think the majority of TMDSAS matriculants do not get a pre-match offer. I know it's insanely hard to wait, but it's all you can do.

Although my situation slightly differed from yours, read the link to the post in my signature if you want more insight on how I went about things. A better job won't really impact your application IMO. If you're going to focus on something to improve, focus on the grades. I know you're in the position of not really needing a SMP, but you still might find some helpful advice in that linked post. But yeah, take some courses in the Spring that'll actually be on your transcript should you need to re-apply in the summer (planned coursework doesn't mean diddly squat). If you get a match, you can likely withdraw for a partial refund, and the schools won't care when you send finalized transcripts.

• Love

Just saying there is an element of interview prep with Becoming a Student Doctor. Next cohort begins really soon in January.

Just saying there is an element of interview prep with Becoming a Student Doctor. Next cohort begins really soon in January.
Hmmm I've never heard of this till now. It does seem like a cool way to learn more about the healthcare system. I'll read more about it, thank you!