SMP for another gap year? Advice appreciated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buschlight777

Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.4sgpa and 3.6cgpa at a top 5 college and you want to do an SMP? lol, sheesh, but you don't need it at all. That's usually for folks with sub 3.0 gpa (science & cumulative) and/or where taking postbacc courses wouldn't have an impact at all. You would probably do more harm than good that route.

I would look at the school list that you applied to for last year, maybe it was too tier-heavy or something. Also, look into the secondaries/essays you wrote.

@Faha ?

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical employment/volunteering hours with patient contact ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical employment/volunteering hours with patient contact ?

Thank you so much for your responses! I am a VA resident. I now have about 1900 hours of scribing (worked full-time this past year) and have about 230 volunteer hours (50 from college philanthropy chair, 180 new from volunteer EMT past 5 months).

3.4sgpa and 3.6cgpa at a top 5 college and you want to do an SMP? lol, sheesh, but you don't need it at all. That's usually for folks with sub 3.0 gpa (science & cumulative) and/or where taking postbacc courses wouldn't have an impact at all. You would probably do more harm than good that route.

I would look at the school list that you applied to for last year, maybe it was too tier-heavy or something. Also, look into the secondaries/essays you wrote.

@Faha ?

Thanks for the response! I definitely didn't apply to any top 30 schools, but I may have applied to a few too many FL schools. My main concern is that my GPA on MSAR for most schools is below average and I was told my a MD admissions committee that my GPA is my only weakness a SMP could help that. Figured this program could allow me to prove myself and mitigate some risk of not having to take a 3rd gap year if I do well, but of course it will be a ton of work and expensive (although the expense isn't much different in the long run lol)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
UVA (reach)
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
George Washington
Wake Forest
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson