This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any way to make your application stick out? also, It says to send in 2 letters of recommendation. Is it frowned upon to send 3? (As you can tell, still stressed. Genuinely have never wanted anything more in my entire LIFE.)
It's not frowned upon to send 3, especially if they are all strong rec letters! It's also nice to have a back up in case a rec letter doesn't make it to you in time.

Speaking for someone who has applied to the program twice, it's okay to be stressed just take it one step at a time! I'm a strong believer of the sayings "everything happens for a reason", "if at first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again" and "hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny."

Good luck to you and everyone else who is applying cycle 2!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone having troubles with their consolidated letter packet being received?
Had a similar issue! If you don't hear from Mr. Stevens sometime next week, I would reach out to him to see if it's arrived (or track your packet if you mailed it certified).

Reactions: 1 user
It's not frowned upon to send 3, especially if they are all strong rec letters! It's also nice to have a back up in case a rec letter doesn't make it to you in time.

Speaking for someone who has applied to the program twice, it's okay to be stressed just take it one step at a time! I'm a strong believer of the sayings "everything happens for a reason", "if at first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again" and "hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny."

Good luck to you and everyone else who is applying cycle 2!

May I ask if the reason why you weren't accepted the first time was due to deadline issues or unsatisfied requirements? If it's something personal, please do not answer. Good luck to you. I hope that you get accepted this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask if the reason why you weren't accepted the first time was due to deadline issues or unsatisfied requirements? If it's something personal, please do not answer. Good luck to you. I hope that you get accepted this time around.
Had a few classes to take! Thank you very much :)

Does the program director look favorable on reapplicants?

Had a few classes to take! Thank you very much :)

You should be good to go this time!

Mr. Stevens is supposed to be back in his office tomorrow, so hopefully everyone who has submitted their consolidated packet gets the green light to submit their application.

Yes! I was planning to wait to announce this but, I received an invite to the program for cycle 1. I worked closely with Mr. Stevens to enhance my application this time around and it paid off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If an applicant is not accepted the first time around the admissions committee will usually make recommendations for you before you apply the second time. I can not emphasize this enough...if you do what they say before you apply the second time then it basically is a guarantee that you get in. Still need go through admissions day again and everything but it is basically a guarantee. Hopefully that answers your question!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations, ANTIdoc! I am very happy for you.

Thank you both for your responses. I'm still a bit confused about what the admissions day exam entails. Is this something we should prepare for in advance? I have only seen this mentioned in previous posts but not in the program application. Also, does anyone know roughly how many applicants the program gets a year or per cycle?

Had a similar issue! If you don't hear from Mr. Stevens sometime next week, I would reach out to him to see if it's arrived (or track your packet if you mailed it certified).
Ok thanks. I’ve been talking to Mr. Shea because Mr. Stevens and I have beef lolol. My packet was signed for showing it had arrived to the campus, but it has yet to show in the application and it’s making me nervous

Yes! I was planning to wait to announce this but, I received an invite to the program for cycle 1. I worked closely with Mr. Stevens to enhance my application this time around and it paid off.

First and foremost, congratulations on your admittance! I just wanted to ask you when were you notified ? I havnt heard anything yet. I went to admissions day in November and I am still waiting for a response. This is so stressful. Lol

Hello all! I was doing a search online and just came across this page! I wish you guys well this application cycle. I applied cycle one and received an acceptance into the program for this June. Please feel free to ask me anything or message me. Thank you @UMVoyager for creating this page. Congrats to all who have made it into the program this cycle. I look forward to meeting you all! :)

First and foremost, congratulations on your admittance! I just wanted to ask you when were you notified ? I havnt heard anything yet. I went to admissions day in November and I am still waiting for a response. This is so stressful. Lol
Thank you so much! I received a phone call a few weeks ago. Ohhhhh I have been there, trust me lol... I would wait it out a little bit longer and if you haven't heard anything within the next week or two give Mr. Stevens a call!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I was doing a search online and just came across this page! I wish you guys well this application cycle. I applied cycle one and received an acceptance into the program for this June. Please feel free to ask me anything or message me. Thank you @UMVoyager for creating this page. Congrats to all who have made it into the program this cycle. I look forward to meeting you all! :)
Welcome future classmate! :welcome:

Welcome future classmate! :welcome:
Thanks so much! I am super excited to start this amazing program. I have heard so many great things about it. I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

images

Beef?! Sending prayers your way, in the past I received a phone call telling me it arrived and to submit my application.
Yeah lol. He promised me something over phone conversation and then later said he never said such things and basically called me delusional

I had receipts but I figured I best let it go.

Thank you so much! I received a phone call a few weeks ago. Ohhhhh I have been there, trust me lol... I would wait it out a little bit longer and if you haven't heard anything within the next week or two give Mr. Stevens a call!
Hi Kariz001, I received a call in December as well. I agree with @ANTIdoc in waiting a little bit. I think they might be busy because of the holidays. Wishing you the best of luck! :)

Thanks so much! I am super excited to start this amazing program. I have heard so many great things about it. I look forward to meeting everyone soon!
Hey! I mailed in my consolidated packet today (should be received by Wednesday)! I just have a few more responses left for the essay questions. How long are those meant to be? also is there any way you make that stick out?

Hey! I mailed in my consolidated packet today (should be received by Wednesday)! I just have a few more responses left for the essay questions. How long are those meant to be? also is there any way you make that stick out?

Hi AspiringDoctor19, congrats on completing most of your application! I think the essays do not have a word limit. However, I would not overwrite or say the same things throughout portions of an essay. I think if you feel that you have said what you needed to say and wholeheartedly answer the question then you should be fine. I think in terms of standing out it is important to just be yourself. I found it helpful to really incorporate a lot of what I have learned from my own life and academic experiences into the essays. I think they just want to see that you are relatable and really value their mission statement. Have you gotten a chance to look at it? I would definitely find a way to tie your own personal experiences to the mission statement in statement when writing your essays. Hope it goes well! Feel free to ask me anything else.

@ANTIdoc @Williams93 i am definitely gonna give Mr. Stevens a call in the next week or so. Are you guys from out of state ?

Thanks for answering my questions btw ! :)
Wishing you two the best of luck in the program!

For the consolidated packet, does everyone just mail your official transcripts to yourself and then combine everything to send? Or is it okay to send the transcripts separately to them?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

@ANTIdoc @Williams93 i am definitely gonna give Mr. Stevens a call in the next week or so. Are you guys from out of state ?

Hope you hear some news soon! Yes, I'm out of state!

@Kojo90 Yes, mail your transcripts to yourself then include them with everything else needed for the consolidated packet.

Last edited:

Thanks so much @Kariz001! Yes, you should definitely hear something soon. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :) Also, I am out of state as well.

How do we complete the supplemental form if we don’t have any future classes we plan on taking?

How do we complete the supplemental form if we don’t have any future classes we plan on taking?
I think you can just leave that part of the form blank as long as you fill out the information of your previous academic record. I believe that is what I did. I would get a second opinion just in case. :)

For those in Cycle 2 - has anyone received the green light to submit their application? My consolidated packet was delivered a while ago.

They received my packet. However I didn’t include the supplemental form because I thought I didn’t need to since I wasn’t taking anymore classes. I was wrong lol

Also does anyone know what happens on admissions day? I’ve been searching the website and haven’t seen anything about what to expect

Like there is the obvious interview, but I recall people saying there was testing?

They received my packet. However I didn’t include the supplemental form because I thought I didn’t need to since I wasn’t taking anymore classes. I was wrong lol

Also does anyone know what happens on admissions day? I’ve been searching the website and haven’t seen anything about what to expect

Like there is the obvious interview, but I recall people saying there was testing?

From what I understand, the admission day test is a multiple choice exam which evaluates your general science knowledge. @UMVoyager said in a previous post that we do not need to study for it. I also want to know more about this exam.

Here's info I found from previous threads about the tests:

"From what I've seen on old posts… the tests aren't MCAT style questions. They are more so basic questions to test your knowledge. I believe the results are factored with interview scores to select which individuals are accepted."

"I would just like to say do NOT freak out over these admissions day exams. They are straightforward multiple choice exams to just test your knowledge. These scores are only a fraction of your admissions decision. I know people who scored below the average on certain exams and still got in. However, it might send a red flag if someone performs below the average in every section. That is probably the only instance where the scores sway a decision in the admissions process."

You'll get more information about Admissions Day if you receive an invite! Good luck, everyone.

@ANTIdoc thanks for bringing that piece of information to the current thread. Saved me some time! haha BUT YES @Altruism1 I agree with what I said on previous threads. It is just an assessment with what you know now. They will use those scores to see what areas need improvement and what you will need to focus more on while studying for the MCAT.

Hello, is any one else from the South and above age 25 applying to this program?

Has anyone heard anything back, or are we all playing the waiting game? :yawn:

Does Medprep take grade replacement into consideration when calculating your overall GPA and BCMP? Or do they calculate it like AMCAS? I have a 2.2 BCMP (AMCAS) and was wondering if it is even possible to raise that to a 2.8 while in the program since that is the requirement to get into SIUSOM. WIll it even be worth it?
I think MEDPREP takes into consideration your last 60 credits and they can re-formulate a BCPM off of that. I am not too sure on that. I am pretty sure that SIU School of Medicine will also take your last 60 credits and reformulate a BCPM from that. Whether it is all of your credits or the last 60 credits, the school will look at the higher one.

@UMVoyager, can you tell us a bit more about the interview in terms of how long it is, how many faculty members are in the room, and some common questions that may be asked. Also, if you're flying in from a different state, should you arrive a day early and are there hotels near the school to stay for a day? Were you in-state or did you fly in, and what was your experience like during this process? Thank you.

Hello, can anyone else update me how long it took for your application to show the option submit after your package arrived in Carbondale? Thank you.

Thank you. Has anyone else in the past submitted close to due date and still managed to get in?

Thank you. Has anyone else in the past submitted close to due date and still managed to get in?
I’m wondering the same because it took them about 2 months to mark my packet received so I could submit it lol.

I just received my DENIAL letter. But, I m not surprised. I met some wonderful scholars and staff but, I must vent. whatever you do don't appear to be threatening, misunderstood or piss of Mr. stevens. Why? He is the gatekeeper of the program. If you want to enter the program worship the ground he (or anyone during admissions day) walks on. Study in-depth ACS gen chem exams, Biochemistry, and GRE quantitative and verbal style questions prior to admissions day. You will thank me later. I m not upset that I didn't gain admittance though. I have found comfort knowing that this particular "Door" was not mines to open. However, I must shed light on how toxic and political this program can be for empaths like myself. The ratio of women to men is disproportionate and because it such a close-knit community the drama is evident. Immediately upon entering on admissions day, I felt out of place, unwelcome, and targeted. As a gender-nonconforming, strong-minded and experienced professional, I witnessed firsthand just how I wouldn't be a good fit. Despite feeling this way, I strived to cross my T's and dot my I's in the name of my ancestors. To my luck, it wasn't enough. I reached out for more help after learning of my denial and was told that I couldn't be informed and given a copy and pasted line from the letter. How personable. For a program geared towards developing America's most vulnerable groups for medical school, MEDPREP is adopting principles/practices (or having staff that are) that unfortunately do the opposite (at least in my case). I'll take my talent and money elsewhere. Thanks, MEDPREP for traumatizing this experience even more for this Black Man. Nevertheless, I'll still be striving towards Medical school one "No" at at time!!!

@RealTalk911 I have been rejected before many times. All you need is that one yes, and when you get that yes it will all make sense. Continue to persevere and I am confident you will be admitted in a program that is a great match for you!

I just received my DENIAL letter. But, I m not surprised. I met some wonderful scholars and staff but, I must vent. whatever you do don't appear to be threatening, misunderstood or piss of Mr. stevens. Why? He is the gatekeeper of the program. If you want to enter the program worship the ground he (or anyone during admissions day) walks on. Study in-depth ACS gen chem exams, Biochemistry, and GRE quantitative and verbal style questions prior to admissions day. You will thank me later. I m not upset that I didn't gain admittance though. I have found comfort knowing that this particular "Door" was not mines to open. However, I must shed light on how toxic and political this program can be for empaths like myself. The ratio of women to men is disproportionate and because it such a close-knit community the drama is evident. Immediately upon entering on admissions day, I felt out of place, unwelcome, and targeted. As a gender-nonconforming, strong-minded and experienced professional, I witnessed firsthand just how I wouldn't be a good fit. Despite feeling this way, I strived to cross my T's and dot my I's in the name of my ancestors. To my luck, it wasn't enough. I reached out for more help after learning of my denial and was told that I couldn't be informed and given a copy and pasted line from the letter. How personable. For a program geared towards developing America's most vulnerable groups for medical school, MEDPREP is adopting principles/practices (or having staff that are) that unfortunately do the opposite (at least in my case). I'll take my talent and money elsewhere. Thanks, MEDPREP for traumatizing this experience even more for this Black Man. Nevertheless, I'll still be striving towards Medical school one "No" at at time!!!

I got denied as well! This was just another bump in our journey! Keep preserving, I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors! By any chance, were you part of the nov 16th admissions day ?

@RealTalk911 Keep your head up, man. I'm not sure what happened between you and Mr. Stevens, but from the emails, he seemed like a really nice guy. Good luck to you.