Should I choose Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbplayr75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice.

I am trying to decide what sort of medical field to go into.
I've got a few freinds that I study with that are going to POD school and swear up and down it's the best field to get into.
They say the schools aren't impossible to get into and that you make great money.

I was just wondering if most of this is true?

How diffcult is are admissions?

Is there really a demand for POD's?

If there are any POD's that read this, could you tell me,

Do you really like your job?

Thanks a Ton!

Members don't see this ad.

fbplayr75 said:
I need some advice.

Thanks a Ton!

Do you have feet? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
fbplayr75 said:
I need some advice.

I've got a few freinds that I study with that are going to POD school and swear up and down it's the best field to get into.
They say the schools aren't impossible to get into and that you make great money.

Thanks a Ton!

Admissions are must what difficult but definitely not on the same plane as allopathic schools. If you look at the statistics, there are about 700 applicants per year and 500 of them are accepted each year. That means that over 71% of the applicants are accepted each year. Some schools are harder to get into than others (CPMS has about 300 applicants per year and accepts about 50-60, that is less than 20%).

Demand, yes there is a major demand. It is the same as all of the other health care industries. Baby boomers and diabetics will fatten the pockets of our future pods.

I love the work that I have done so far. I bitch and moan at times b/c of the amount of work (clinic from 7am-6pm and then writing SOAP notes until 10 at night) but I love it. I've been in the OR twice and that is the coolest!

I would say go shadow a pod and see what you think.

fbplayr75 said:
I need some advice.

Thanks a Ton!

Feelgood already answered the questions but I just wanted to add that the best to make this decision is yourself. You can't make a big decision without being wholeheartedly convinced that this is for you.

I personally love my career choice and I have no regrets - Not everyone will share our passion about this career. Like every profession, some hate their jobs while others embrace it - so my advice is to shadow, and continue to investigate this profession - not because "school's not impossible" or "the money is great" but because you want to invest and dedicate the rest of your life to this profession in serving the public.

Best of luck