Shenandoah University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone!!!....i'm applying to pharmacy schools this summer...soo nervous!!!...esp since i didnt take my pcat yet....any1 who got into shanendoah....could u please share ur stats :)

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago to see if they recieved my deposit, they got back to me saying they did. I also sent them my shot record and physical information. But I haven't even started looking up a place to live.

I do not know if i want to sign anything yet about a place to live, because I am still on hold for Mercer..and I have not heard back from other schools. However, I do not think that I will get accepted to anyother school and I like Shenandoah University. Should I go ahead and sign somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know if i want to sign anything yet about a place to live, because I am still on hold for Mercer..and I have not heard back from other schools. However, I do not think that I will get accepted to anyother school and I like Shenandoah University. Should I go ahead and sign somewhere?

I also am waiting to hear a final decision from Mercer, even though I know I will end up at Shenandoah. I think if you have that strong of a feeling that you are not going to get in anywhere else, you should go ahead and sign a contract to live somewhere in Winchester, especially if the place you are looking at currently is filling up quickly, etc.

I didn't really care for Mercer anyways, I liked the people, but didn't really care for their facilities....

I also am waiting to hear a final decision from Mercer, even though I know I will end up at Shenandoah. I think if you have that strong of a feeling that you are not going to get in anywhere else, you should go ahead and sign a contract to live somewhere in Winchester, especially if the place you are looking at currently is filling up quickly, etc.

I didn't really care for Mercer anyways, I liked the people, but didn't really care for their facilities....

I think you are right. I do not think I will get into Mercer because its already mid-march..and when I call them they do not give me a straight answer...Do you know any females that are looking for a roommate that are going to Shenandoah?

I think you are right. I do not think I will get into Mercer because its already mid-march..and when I call them they do not give me a straight answer...Do you know any females that are looking for a roommate that are going to Shenandoah?

I haven't heard anything about anyone needing roommates, but I also haven't talked to too many people who are attending Shenandoah... I'll keep you posted if I hear anything! :)

I haven't heard anything about anyone needing roommates, but I also haven't talked to too many people who are attending Shenandoah... I'll keep you posted if I hear anything! :)

hey has anyone mailed in their health forms yet? Or heard from the school recently?

If I remember correctly, it will be well into summer before you hear anything from the school. Just get the required stuff done, find an apt/job, and sit back and relax and wait for orientation to begin

when are any of you (especially out-of-state people) gonna start looking for apartments? For those who are already taking classes, did you pay for the first 3 months right away (~late May to early June) just to get a good apartment, or what?

I'm clueless right now

I was just wondering what the weather in like in Winchester? Does it snow in the winter sometimes and how are the road conditions during the winter? Thanks.

I probably will not be looking until sometime in May. But one thing for sure I'm sure the cost of living is better than here in California.

Does anyone know about families that are renting out rooms. I'm just considering my options. Also is anyone is from out of state and willing to share an apartment I would definitely be interested. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about families that are renting out rooms. I'm just considering my options. Also is anyone is from out of state and willing to share an apartment I would definitely be interested. Thanks.

I am thinking about buying/renting a condo that is 2 bedroom and 2 bath. If you are interested let me know. I am not going to buy anything till probably may though.

May is probably your best bet. The housing here is somewhat limited and the current p3's will be heading out on rotation in May so that should free some up.

I personally got my apartment in June because it was the one I wanted and I had planned on working here anyway.

I posted a link previously in the thread with a bunch of contact numbers for the various complexes in the area.

I believe you have a yahoo group set up for your class, that is a great tool to set up your roommates with. It's how I met mine and we plan to renew our lease as is.

I had a question about the two campuses. What is the difference between the Ashburn campus and Winchester one? Do those at Ashburn stay there for the whole four years? Any information about the campuses will help. Thanks

do we get to pick which campus we go to? How does the two campus work?

How do we know which campus we'll be at? Haven't received any correspondance from the school for weeks (i.e. financial aid packet, curriculum details, etc).

If you havent heard about the Ashburn campus, chances are you're not going there. What happens with the Ashburn campus is the students do their 4th year undergrad/1st year Grad there. After the first year, they get a B.S. in Pharmacogenomics and then join us at Winchester for the 2nd year.

There's pros and cons to this. You have the same classes as us taught by different teachers, but you are an hour away. You have to move again or commute 45 minutes from Winchester. It can be a little awkward because you will have to assimilate into the Winchester campus and we're waiting to see what thats going to be like this fall.

I got my financial aid packet 2 weeks ago and mailed my acceptance of the loans back last week. It took about 1 month after I filled out the FAFSA, so if its been about that for you, I would try calling.

Also, I haven't filled out the health form yet... I'm waiting until May when I go back home and get my physical done.

hey,

I called Donna about a week ago...and she said they were deciding on which campus everyone was going to go to in about 1/2 weeks...you can call and request which campus you want to go to. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Does anyone know how rotations work for 4th year? Will they be in Winchester or are there other sites that we could go to??

yea, let's see if we can last until the 3rd year b4 we start asking about our rotations during our 4th year...

Does anyone know how rotations work for 4th year? Will they be in Winchester or are there other sites that we could go to??

We have clusters for our rotations. The clusters are areas within VA, MD, and DC. During your P3 year, you will rank 3 clusters and will randomly be assigned 1 of them for your rotations. You have to do all of your rotations within that cluster. Be warned, though, that MBA students get preferential selection for Winchester, so if you aren't an MBA student, good luck getting picked for the Winchester cluster.

If there is 1 thing that I'm not pleased with about SU, it's the rotation situation, as I had planned before I moved up here to do most, if not all, of my rotations in WA state.

What are the living arrangements for the rotations out side of Winchester? Do you need to rent a place on your own or does the school make living arrangements?

Thanks for the info

What are the living arrangements for the rotations out side of Winchester? Do you need to rent a place on your own or does the school make living arrangements?

Thanks for the info

The school does not make arrangements for you. One benefit, I suppose, to having the clusters is all of your rotations are in that cluster, with the radius of each cluster being about an hour's drive at most. That should cut back on having to move around during your 4th year.

Thanks so much for the info!! =)

has anyone starting in the fall found a place to live?

are the emails the only information about housing that we will get from the school? Or will we be getting any official letters about it through snail-mail?

I think that we are only getting stuff from emails...try to check out the facebook group for the c/o 2011

When is a good time to buy books? Are books more money at the bookstore? Does any P2 student have any books I could buy? Also - why is the orientation a week long...? Thanks to anyone who could help me :)

When is a good time to buy books? Are books more money at the bookstore? Does any P2 student have any books I could buy? Also - why is the orientation a week long...? Thanks to anyone who could help me :)

During orientation, you'll get access to SU's pharmacy website. There will be a list of the recommended books along with the ISBN numbers (in case you'd rather look for them online for a cheaper price, hint hint). Honestly, the only book I bought for my first semester at SU two years ago was the medical terminology book for IBHS lab, which you will need. Other classmates of mine bought other books, especially the A&P and Biochem books, but I never used them. That, however, was a personal decision, and I had a strong science background coming into pharmacy school. I saved all my book buying (other than Ceutics II in the spring of the P1 year) for my second year of pharmacy school, for which books are almost a necessity.

Orientation is a week long, and unfortunately, it's mandatory and incredibly boring. Heh. My condolences for having to attend the whole week, but we've all had to do the same. :)

During orientation, you'll get access to SU's pharmacy website. There will be a list of the recommended books along with the ISBN numbers (in case you'd rather look for them online for a cheaper price, hint hint). Honestly, the only book I bought for my first semester at SU two years ago was the medical terminology book for IBHS lab, which you will need. Other classmates of mine bought other books, especially the A&P and Biochem books, but I never used them. That, however, was a personal decision, and I had a strong science background coming into pharmacy school. I saved all my book buying (other than Ceutics II in the spring of the P1 year) for my second year of pharmacy school, for which books are almost a necessity.

Orientation is a week long, and unfortunately, it's mandatory and incredibly boring. Heh. My condolences for having to attend the whole week, but we've all had to do the same. :)

Thanks for your help...Did you other friends use the books they bought? It sounds like the teachers just test from the PP slides.

I have a question if anyone can answer...I was looking at the combined MBA program available at Shenandoah and am confused as to when students finish the "foundational courses" that are necessary for admission into the PharmD/MBA program (the courses such as micro/macro economics, principles of accounting I and II, principles of management, and principles of marketing)

I was wondering when students take these courses? Before they start pharmacy school? Is it worth it to take a class this summer?

Thanks in advance!!

Is there a required Chapel course that has to be taken by all pharmacy students?

Is there a required Chapel course that has to be taken by all pharmacy students?

No. Shenandoah is affliated with Methodists but is not a religious school. The designated chapel hour block on Fridays is just for people who wish to take time during the week to attend something on main campus.

You guys ready for orientation? :eek::scared::sleep:

I might be there during next week. I'll have to see if my mad communication skills are needed. :p:D

On Friday evening of that week, in the past, there has been a get together at Jim Barnett Park sponsored by CVS. I don't know for sure if that is occurring this year, but I'm willing to bet it is. It'll be a good opportunity to meet other students from the school. :)