Shenandoah University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helster

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to an interivew for shenandoah university in VA..I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or info about the interview/school? I seem to be getting interviews places but not getting in..and it really sucks. please help if you can . THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, First things first, don't be nervous. The interview isn't that bad at all. It's a closed file (interviewers only know your name) conducted by a professor and a student. Be prepared to answer the typical "why pharmacy/why shenandoah" question, but be more prepared to answer and take a stand on an ethical issue. It's important to remember for any interview to carefully think over your answers, just tell them you need a couple seconds, it generally won't be counted against you in anyway.

thanks for the advice :) Do you go there? and if you do..do you like it? Also, how do u suggest preparing for the writing sample?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice :) Do you go there? and if you do..do you like it? Also, how do u suggest preparing for the writing sample?

Yeah Im a P1 (First year). I love the school because the professors and faculty take the time to get to know you. It's almost like one big family at the school. The area is quiet and in the middle of nowhere, but there is always something to get involved in or with.

As for the writing sample, you get 30 minutes to answer an ethical dilemna. They aren't focusing as much on what stance you take, but more on whether or not you can clearly choose a position and adequately reinforce it, more or less no repetition of the same idea

oh okay...thanks again. Hopefully it will go well. Is it really hard to get into? I am from out of state and I was wondering if that would make it harder for me to get into. In any case..thanks for your help. and hopefull i will finally get in somewhere.

Don't worry- if they let Roxbury in they'll let anybody in!!!! HAHAH! Just kidding!
I'm also a P1 at SU and it really is like a big family. The interviewers will really try and make you comfortable so just try and relax.
Make sure that you stick by your answers in your interview. They want to see that you have a strong ethical stance. Like, Rox said I think it matters more that you can back up your opinion and aren't fickle about your answers.
Just be prepared for situational questions like "If you saw (unethical situation), what would you do?".
As far as being out of state, I would say MOST of our students are not from Virginia. I actually only know of a handful. Since it's private they really don't care where you're from.
Good luck! (And read the interview feedback it will help a lot!)

hey thanks guys...I am from florida too...why do u pick to go to shenandoah? I will happy to get accepted anywhere, but from what you guys are saying im glad you guys really like it. Thanks for the interview advice...if you have anymore please share hehe. but thanks again

Is anyone in the MBA/PharmD program at Shenandoah university? In my pharmCAS application I didnt write that i wanted to do it..but after reading about the program I am interested in doing that if i get accepted...should i even bring that up at my interview if i didnt previously write that on my application?

I interviewed with Shenandoah yesterday and just got my acceptance email today. I really liked the staff and students. Everyone was extremely friendly and made me feel comfortable. The interview was really easy....the easiest I've had so far. First, a student welcomed me and took me to see a professor. They told me that they hadnt seen my grades or PCAT and just wanted to talk to me. It's important not to give a rehearsed answer they told me. Be prepared for the usual Why pharmacy, why shenandoah, what are your positives, negatives, etc.

The essay question is a simple ethical one...and they give you plenty of time.

They replied instantly, faster than any other school.

as for the MBA program, i asked them about it in my interview and they seemed very happy that i read into their program and knew about it, so i would atleast bring it up

Congrats Asterix, I wonder if you were one of the 3 I saw yesterday when I was talking to Mary Beth

You can't even apply for the MBA program until the 2nd year I think, maybe it starts the summer between P1 and P2. You need to have an undergraduate degree and a bunch of faculty references, including one from the Dean.

Congratulations Asterix. I also recived my admission email a few minutes ago. Shenandoah University seems to be very cool school.

Congratulations Asterix. I also recived my admission email a few minutes ago. Shenandoah University seems to be very cool school.

oh wow congrats guys :) Do you guys have any suggestions about the why shenandoah question? do they get back to everyone that promptly? how did you guys prepare for the interview? thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
A great big ol' congrats to you all!!! I'll be seeing you next August!

what was your pcat score like? I'm taking it in January and planning on applying to Shenandoah.

Congrats everyone! :) How did you guys prepare for the interview? As you can tell I am nervous... I have been looking at the school website and the interview feedbacks on this site, other than that I do not know waht to do? Also I am not completely sure what to say about the why shenandoah question? If all you new admintants can help me I would really appreciate it. thanks

Congrats everyone! :) How did you guys prepare for the interview? As you can tell I am nervous... I have been looking at the school website and the interview feedbacks on this site, other than that I do not know waht to do? Also I am not completely sure what to say about the why shenandoah question? If all you new admintants can help me I would really appreciate it. thanks

Don't be so nervous! I think the SDN stuff is pretty sufficient. I hesitate to answer your "why Shenandoah question" because it's really about YOU and why YOu would want to go to Shenandoah. If you are really stuck, you can PM me and we can work it out.

Good luck!

Who did you all interview with?

Don't be so nervous! I think the SDN stuff is pretty sufficient. I hesitate to answer your "why Shenandoah question" because it's really about YOU and why YOu would want to go to Shenandoah. If you are really stuck, you can PM me and we can work it out.

Good luck!

hey,

Thanks for the advice. I am new to this forum stuff, so how do i PM you? I think i have an answer to the why shenandoah question...but i still want to know how to PM someone, and maybe i can share what i have prepared. In any case, thanks again and have a happy thanksgiving.

hey,

Thanks for the advice. I am new to this forum stuff, so how do i PM you? I think i have an answer to the why shenandoah question...but i still want to know how to PM someone, and maybe i can share what i have prepared. In any case, thanks again and have a happy thanksgiving.

Click once by my name (Utterdevotion) on the left hand side. A small menu should open. Click on "Send a Private Message to Utterdevotion"
And you're all set to go! :)

I look forward to it!

I also got into Shenandoah. I also got accepted to VCU, but I will call them Monday to turn them down. Both are good schools, but Shenandoah definitely is in the better neighborhood! I will feel completely safe attending here, and everyone is super nice!

To everyone accepted, are you applying to other schools? If accepted somewhere else, will you go to another school? Just curious.

Hey guys! I was also accepted into Shenandoah!

VCU is in downtown Richmond. Richmond is kind of a dirty town similar to Baltimore.

However, I always like going to the places that look kind of that way.

Detroit, Richmond, Baltimore, New Haven and Gary, Indiana are all quite similar.

My bit of advice: When the interviewer asks you about your community service, do NOT tell him that community service is not a priority in your life right now. I followed that up with explaining how I had a toddler, had returned to school full-time after working for 10 years in the nonprofit sector, and was continuing to work part-time (also at a nonprofit). However, it really set the wrong tone, and for the rest of the interview, the faculty interviewer glared at me and made interesting comments.

I was accepted to my first choice school so it all worked out okay, but I wish I had phrased my answer a little more delicately.

am I too late to apply .The deadline is March 1.I plan to submit by dec 15

VCU is in downtown Richmond. Richmond is kind of a dirty town similar to Baltimore.

However, I always like going to the places that look kind of that way.

Detroit, Richmond, Baltimore, New Haven and Gary, Indiana are all quite similar.

U r rite...Richmond is kinda of a dirty town. But there's a lot to do here and its a perfect location from the beach, DC and mountains. And VCU is a great school. However, the crime rates are high and Richmond is not for everyone. I can understand why people dont choose Richmond.

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much the essay portion is worth in teh whole acceptance process...can anyone help me with that..it is concerning me because in the past i have become nervous or something...so i just wanted to know more about it. thanks

The essay portion is just to see if you can write a logical response to an ethical predicament. Just dont repeat yourself. All the essays are graded by the same faculty member so you don't have to worry about different grading styles.

I'm from a suburb/city area (so sorry for the bias). Shenandoah is a very pretty place, but... what do you guys do for fun in such a country-like area?

Thanks! :)

For fun? lol

umm, there's two bars.....

we play intramural sports against the main campus kids
hang out

I basically work and go to class. The rest of my time is studying, we usually go out on thursdays because we just have lab on fridays

I wouldn't say that I ever get bored though. Pretty much always have something to do

does this school have a secondary?

i've looked on their website, waited maybe for an email...nothing... i hope i'm not missing it?

any ideas?

i actually took the pcat there, and i agree it is very pretty, serene... Congrats to all of you who got accepted!

congrats you guys!

i just received an email telling me that they received everything and that my application is under review. How long was it before you guys heard from them for an interview?

does this school have a secondary?

i've looked on their website, waited maybe for an email...nothing... i hope i'm not missing it?

any ideas?

i actually took the pcat there, and i agree it is very pretty, serene... Congrats to all of you who got accepted!

There's no supplemental, but you have to pay a supplemental fee of $30.00. If you go to this website it tells you where to send it, and everything else you need to know about applying :)

http://pharmacy.su.edu/PharmWeb/indexmenu/NavIndex.cfm?fuseaction=Admissions

Hope that helps! :)

When I was looking on the interview feedback one of the questions was "should/ should not alcohol and tobacco products be sold at a retail/community pharmacy. (ESSAY QUESTION) you had to choose a side and argue it." what do you guys think of that question..and how it should be answered? I do not really understand the question...what do you guys think ..please help

When I was looking on the interview feedback one of the questions was "should/ should not alcohol and tobacco products be sold at a retail/community pharmacy. (ESSAY QUESTION) you had to choose a side and argue it." what do you guys think of that question..and how it should be answered? I do not really understand the question...what do you guys think ..please help

You can answer however you like, but choose a stance and stick with it and present it in a logical fashion.

IMO, since tobacco products are sold in the store portion of a pharmacy chain rather than behind the pharmacy counter and since the pharmacy chain is a business just like any other business, it is fine because I would never have to sign off on it as a pharmacist. I do not advocate smoking, but the pharmacy portion of a community pharmacy is in many ways separate from the main store.

:) Thanks for your help guys. My interview is on monday...and I was wondering how long the whole process should take..if it starts at 9am? Also do they let teh people who did not get in know as fast as they let the people who did get accepted via email? Anyways thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

i got accepted on the 21st also. My interview was on Nov 6th and the whole process lasted only 1.5 hours. I was surprised about how casual the interview was and also how fast the whole process is.

i got accepted on the 21st also. My interview was on Nov 6th and the whole process lasted only 1.5 hours. I was surprised about how casual the interview was and also how fast the whole process is.

Congrats on getting in....thanks for the info

So I just came back yest from my interview. Overall I think the interview part went well, but do any of you guys subscribe to pharmaceutical journals? I was asked that..The essay was also okay, but from teh directions part it seems as though it is considered heavily which also makes me nervous. I liked how we were by ourselves and not in a big group...i hate when i have to see everyone else that has also applied. Anyways thanks for all the help guys...hopefully ill have a positive result like everyone else on this forum.

for those that got accepted, when did you apply?

I submitted my applications back in november, and havn't heard much from them. Makes me feel kind of down. Did you complete all your pre-reqs prior to applying?

I submitted Sept 26 and they got my printouts in mid Oct. I heard from them within a couple of weeks from them receiving my printout application

Submitted Sept 28
Print out Oct 9
Heard from them about 2 weeks later.
Scheduled my interview for Nov 13th
Got accepted right before Thanksgiving. :)

Ok, so those of you have been accepted what was your gpa and pcat. I just submitted (I'm a procrastinator, so kill me) and am just curious. Also, how many schools did you apply to and did they ask what you would do if you were not accepted?

Ok, so those of you have been accepted what was your gpa and pcat. I just submitted (I'm a procrastinator, so kill me) and am just curious. Also, how many schools did you apply to and did they ask what you would do if you were not accepted?

I said that I would re-apply to pharmacy school. ....which is the truth.

I said that I would re-apply to pharmacy school. ....which is the truth.

Umm, I dont remember that question at my Shenandoah interview (and I would have remembered). My interview was a conversation, not a Q&A drill. You have to go into any interview with a positive attitude.

If I was asked that question, I would respond to it something like "I'm not going to worry about it at this time. All I can tell you right now is that I am determined to get into pharmacy school and work hard everyday to achieve this dream." It may be true that you would apply next year, but that would also show less confidence. Your delivery is also important if you say that you would apply next year. If you say it in a negative or saddened tone, they will pick up on that. But I wouldn't worry about that question too much because it most probably won't be asked.

Hehe I love how I keep answering after Tennisboy :p

I was asked that question. And I said something along the lines of - I couldn't imagine myself doing anything but pharmacy. I have a love and passion for such a career. So if I don't get in this year, I will figure out what I did wrong, get more experience, fix up my application, and apply again. I then added something like "I really hope that doesn't happen!" *nervous laugh*

And my interviewers smiled and said "I hope so too!" :)

But yes, as Tennisboy said - a positive attitude is the most important part.

I had a question for those who were accepted to Shenandoah. I just wanted to clarify that our deposit is not due until March...this just sounds strange to me, I always thought the deposits would be due like 2 weeks after acceptance. Does this mean that we are guaranteed a position in the class until March, when our deposit is due?? Are you guys gona turn it in now or later? Thanks!

Just wondering,
How much is the deposit anyway? Thanks.