Seven Ways to Boost Your Income with Medical Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regardless of immediate surroundings, it is a frequently posed inquiry on SDN...in the physician's forums, in the medical student/pre-med forums, in the Med Business forum:

"What are some ways to make more money in practice?"
"I am looking to make a lateral move out of the hospital, what else can I do with my MD?"
"I have lost my interest in medicine. The rub is I am 300k in debt. Could you be kind enough to direct me to the nearest bridge?"
"I am interested in getting my MBA. Why? Well, I want to make more money. Is that viable?"

For seemingly countless reasons, we strive to look beyond the traditional role of "clinician", the solemn and sage caricature bestowed upon those bearing the initials MD/DO... And while the reasons for this self-dictated journey appear innumerable, this is primarily due to linguistic variation rather than actual motivational variation. In fact, we realize that the overwhelming majority of those reasons for "seeking alternatives" are derived from a mere handful of root catalysts.

From the vanilla "overhead is rising and revenue is stagnant/decreasing -- my PP is not bringing in a healthy profit anymore" to the neapolitan "my 8 to 6 gig is automaton drudgery, there's got to be some way to spice up my career", the majority of impetuses stem from A) Money, and/or B) Interest (or lack thereof).

In the Med Business forum, the traditional recommendation is as certain as death, taxes, and decreasing reimbursements: "You should look into healthcare consulting, Old Sport!"

While healthcare consulting is an option for people looking to expand their horizons, more often than not it isn't going to be the opportunity that allows the individual to ride off into the sunset on a horse named McKinsey. Consulting has very real time requirements; demands which many are not cognizant of. It is not a 9-5, 40 hr/week job. Those that are, are the exceptions not the rules and the consultants likely pay the price with their own take-home pay. Instead you will be often working 60+ hours per week, serving clients that you might feel are insufferable while being forced to remain objective and concerned solely with the client's best interests (even at the sake of your own)... Hmm, vis-à-vis, it sounds kind of like some other profession that you are familiar with, no? A common point of interest is the traveling. Oh, how exciting! However, while traveling on your company's dime might sound enticing, the novelty will wear off -- just as it did in the clinic -- and you will be left perhaps even more unhappy than you were originally. Your white coat-prisoner's garb merely switched out to a suit and noose tie.

Nevertheless, consulting can be an excellent career for many and might be the right transition for Joe Smith, Jaded-MD... but it is a decision that requires more than reading job descriptions online. DD is vital and should be exhaustive.

Now, that's all well and good, I scared you away from consulting for the time being, but you haven't come any closer to solving your issues with A) Money, and/or B) Interest. Medscape recently published an article titled, "Seven Ways to Boost Your Income with Medical Activities". I found this to be not only a hearty list of realistic possibilities, but perhaps, more importantly, it is a balanced article; listing both the pro's and con's of each point.

The Seven opportunities are listed below:

1. Offer New Services Based on a Fresh Strategy
2. Join Forces With Pharmaceutical Companies
3. Round at Nursing Homes
4. Get Hired as a Medical Director
5. Team Up With Attorneys
6. Consult for Wall Street
7. Become a Media Darling

You will see that some options are more vague than others and some are more easily accomplished than others. However, the take home message is notable: there are options at your disposal if, as a MD/DO, you find your profits (or interest level) down. If you find yourself dreading the morning because it means another day in the clinic, perhaps the answer isn't "I must abandon the clinic and go into healthcare consulting" by default. No, perhaps the answer simply lies in a healthy supplementation of variety - administered on an as-needed basis.

The full article can be read via the link below. It requires an account for access; however, given that membership is free it's well worth the registration effort given the longitudinal payoff of their resources.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/754968

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Regardless of immediate surroundings, it is a frequently posed inquiry on SDN...in the physician's forums, in the medical student/pre-med forums, in the Med Business forum:

"What are some ways to make more money in practice?"
"I am looking to make a lateral move out of the hospital, what else can I do with my MD?"
"I have lost my interest in medicine. The rub is I am 300k in debt. Could you be kind enough to direct me to the nearest bridge?"
"I am interested in getting my MBA. Why? Well, I want to make more money. Is that viable?"

For seemingly countless reasons, we strive to look beyond the traditional role of "clinician", the solemn and sage caricature bestowed upon those bearing the initials MD/DO... And while the reasons for this self-dictated journey appear innumerable, this is primarily due to linguistic variation rather than actual motivational variation. In fact, we realize that the overwhelming majority of those reasons for "seeking alternatives" are derived from a mere handful of root catalysts.

From the vanilla "overhead is rising and revenue is stagnant/decreasing -- my PP is not bringing in a healthy profit anymore" to the neapolitan "my 8 to 6 gig is automaton drudgery, there's got to be some way to spice up my career", the majority of impetuses stem from A) Money, and/or B) Interest (or lack thereof).

In the Med Business forum, the traditional recommendation is as certain as death, taxes, and decreasing reimbursements: "You should look into healthcare consulting, Old Sport!"

While healthcare consulting is an option for people looking to expand their horizons, more often than not it isn't going to be the opportunity that allows the individual to ride off into the sunset on a horse named McKinsey. Consulting has very real time requirements; demands which many are not cognizant of. It is not a 9-5, 40 hr/week job. Those that are, are the exceptions not the rules and the consultants likely pay the price with their own take-home pay. Instead you will be often working 60+ hours per week, serving clients that you might feel are insufferable while being forced to remain objective and concerned solely with the client's best interests (even at the sake of your own)... Hmm, vis-à-vis, it sounds kind of like some other profession that you are familiar with, no? A common point of interest is the traveling. Oh, how exciting! However, while traveling on your company's dime might sound enticing, the novelty will wear off -- just as it did in the clinic -- and you will be left perhaps even more unhappy than you were originally. Your white coat-prisoner's garb merely switched out to a suit and noose tie.

Nevertheless, consulting can be an excellent career for many and might be the right transition for Joe Smith, Jaded-MD... but it is a decision that requires more than reading job descriptions online. DD is vital and should be exhaustive.

Now, that's all well and good, I scared you away from consulting for the time being, but you haven't come any closer to solving your issues with A) Money, and/or B) Interest. Medscape recently published an article titled, "Seven Ways to Boost Your Income with Medical Activities". I found this to be not only a hearty list of realistic possibilities, but perhaps, more importantly, it is a balanced article; listing both the pro's and con's of each point.

The Seven opportunities are listed below:

1. Offer New Services Based on a Fresh Strategy
2. Join Forces With Pharmaceutical Companies
3. Round at Nursing Homes
4. Get Hired as a Medical Director
5. Team Up With Attorneys
6. Consult for Wall Street
7. Become a Media Darling

You will see that some options are more vague than others and some are more easily accomplished than others. However, the take home message is notable: there are options at your disposal if, as a MD/DO, you find your profits (or interest level) down. If you find yourself dreading the morning because it means another day in the clinic, perhaps the answer isn't "I must abandon the clinic and go into healthcare consulting" by default. No, perhaps the answer simply lies in a healthy supplementation of variety - administered on an as-needed basis.

The full article can be read via the link below. It requires an account for access; however, given that membership is free it's well worth the registration effort given the longitudinal payoff of their resources.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/754968

Consulting is a great gig imo, especially at a place like McKinsey. Yes you will work hard, but *gasp* they will actually reward you for working the 60 hours a week that you work, vs. making you feel like a rich, overpaid doctor for *only* working 60 hours at your specialty. So while it may not be a white horse, it is a great alternative to those sick of the constant pressure of medicine. The pay is also pretty great. It starts in the primary care range and goes up to infinity if you make partner. Even if you don't, you'll be looking at over 300k within 5 years if you are good. If you don't then you are out of a job, but even if you do get laid off, people from a place like Mckinsey will have many doors open for them. There are a large number of consulting firms out there, and healthcare consulting has become a booming field in the past few years. Lastly, given that for most healthcare consulting gigs an MD is a requirement, it also limits the applicant pool vs. consulting and fighting for positions with MBA douches, sorry MBA applicants.

Consulting is a great gig imo, especially at a place like McKinsey. Yes you will work hard, but *gasp* they will actually reward you for working the 60 hours a week that you work, vs. making you feel like a rich, overpaid doctor for *only* working 60 hours at your specialty. So while it may not be a white horse, it is a great alternative to those sick of the constant pressure of medicine. The pay is also pretty great. It starts in the primary care range and goes up to infinity if you make partner. Even if you don't, you'll be looking at over 300k within 5 years if you are good. If you don't then you are out of a job, but even if you do get laid off, people from a place like Mckinsey will have many doors open for them. There are a large number of consulting firms out there, and healthcare consulting has become a booming field in the past few years. Lastly, given that for most healthcare consulting gigs an MD is a requirement, it also limits the applicant pool vs. consulting and fighting for positions with MBA douches, sorry MBA applicants.

I agree, if one is adamant about consulting, MBB is a great way to go. However, like I mentioned above, it's important to not view it as a silver bullet (not saying that statement directly applies to your perceptions, of course).

You are absolutely correct with the fact that salaries at the top firms start in the 100-140k range, but it is important to consider things from an hourly pay standpoint. The 60 hrs/week figure I mentioned was the average; I have associates that work in consulting that complain that things can ramp up to ~100 hrs/week when a huge project is on the table or deadline approaching... This will be "well-being suicide" for the person that enters into the field with a warped, unbalanced perception of what being a consultant actually entails. Minds can go numb while working on the 17th version of a powerpoint presentation at 3AM. Some physicians mention the stress that residency can put on the marriage/family unit with mandatory nights at the hospital...well, it isn't necessarily any brighter when it's mandatory that you are on the other side of the country Monday-Thursday, jet-lagged on Friday, just to start all over again in a couple days. It's not the panacea for everyone...

With that said, I guess those things all factor into the lore that most consultants leave consulting within a 3-year window of their start date. The "up or out policy" also plays a role, of course. (Granted, that some of those people likely moved on to better positions outside the profession [a la the exit strategies you mentioned].)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, if one is adamant about consulting, MBB is a great way to go. However, like I mentioned above, it's important to not view it as a silver bullet (not saying that statement directly applies to your perceptions, of course).

You are absolutely correct with the fact that salaries at the top firms start in the 100-140k range, but it is important to consider things from an hourly pay standpoint. The 60 hrs/week figure I mentioned was the average; I have associates that work in consulting that complain that things can ramp up to ~100 hrs/week when a huge project is on the table or deadline approaching... This will be "well-being suicide" for the person that enters into the field with a warped, unbalanced perception of what being a consultant actually entails. Minds can go numb while working on the 17th version of a powerpoint presentation at 3AM. Some physicians mention the stress that residency can put on the marriage/family unit with mandatory nights at the hospital...well, it isn't necessarily any brighter when it's mandatory that you are on the other side of the country Monday-Thursday, jet-lagged on Friday, just to start all over again in a couple days. It's not the panacea for everyone...

With that said, I guess those things all factor into the lore that most consultants leave consulting within a 3-year window of their start date. The "up or out policy" also plays a role, of course. (Granted, that some of those people likely moved on to better positions outside the profession [a la the exit strategies you mentioned].)

I think we agree on this. I think if you go into thinking that hey I'll work hard and hours may suck at times, but I'll also be rewarded then people will do ok. Also let's remember that McK. is top of the line. Many other consulting gigs at lower end places are also financially rewarding, although perhaps not to the same extent, and have nicer hours. I recently saw a position at Aeon (sp??) and they were asking for a healthcare consulting, 6figs, 25% travel, work from home otherwise. It's pretty freaking awsome imo particularly for the burnt out people. I think a lot of our peers will be going this consulting route is the carnage is too high with Obamacare.

I think we agree on this. I think if you go into thinking that hey I'll work hard and hours may suck at times, but I'll also be rewarded then people will do ok. Also let's remember that McK. is top of the line. Many other consulting gigs at lower end places are also financially rewarding, although perhaps not to the same extent, and have nicer hours. I recently saw a position at Aeon (sp??) and they were asking for a healthcare consulting, 6figs, 25% travel, work from home otherwise. It's pretty freaking awsome imo particularly for the burnt out people. I think a lot of our peers will be going this consulting route is the carnage is too high with Obamacare.

I think that we do, too. :thumbup: