Good MBA oriented Activities for Summer of M1/M2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biobossx99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a question. Most people who go to medical school traditionally do research (clinical, basic or international) during their first summer between year one and year two. However, if you're interested in going into the MD/MBA route, what other possible MBA oriented activities would people suggest?

I thought about doing some sort of internship and perhaps take my GMAT during the summer, but I wasn't sure what organizations would be good to solicit for a young M1.

I'm currently Pre-M1 and will be attending a medical school without an established MD\MBA program (though it's my top choice and one of the best schools I could've gotten into). I'm still trying to figure out how I'll fit the MBA with the MD.

Any Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Im also wondering the same thing...

This response may also be too late, but I'm sure you aren't the only people with this question.

It helps to specify what you plan to do with the MD/MBA. I spent the summer after M1 working with our hospital's quality improvement team working on discharge planning / etc programs, because I'd ultimately like to do hospital admin.

That said, I think one thing that can be really valuable is to find a physician in an executive position and e-mail them to see if you can intern/shadow/whatever. Offer to put together some sort of project with/for them, and you have an opportunity to get experience, exposure, and possibly a rec letter.

Also, if you're more interested in policy, the AMA and other national organizations have positions for medical students on legislative action committees, etc.