Med School Activities to be Competitive for an MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyon_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in pursuing a 1-year MBA program between my 3rd and 4th year of med school at an outside business school. Any ideas of most valuable activities to be competitive for an MBA as a med student? To start off the list, here's what I've thought of so far:
  • intern with healthcare startups
  • clinical trial research? not sure
  • start a business/nonprofit in an area I'm interested in
  • side note: would an LoR from a supervisor at a lab where you're a student worker work as a letter from a current boss?
Any other ideas for activities?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in med school already? What year? Does your institution have an MBA program associated with it?

Unless its a linkage to the out-side institution, many worth-going MBA programs want multiple years of professional/related experience with a bachelors degree or masters (often 5 and 3 years, respectively), or will accept people with doctoral degrees without necessarily needing additional experience (being a med student doesn't count for this - would need to have a PhD or other doctoral degree already).

- If interning, it would be more worthwhile to be at more established places rather than a startup.
- Possibly.
- You should not start a business/non-profit if its only for "experience" to get into an MBA - you should only be doing so if that's something you truly want to do. If it was, it's likely something that would have already been done or already in the works as opposed to being asked if you should on a forum for the purposes of an MBA admission.
- Possibly, but how strong of a letter it would be would depend.

Last edited:
Are you in med school already? What year? Does your institution have an MBA program associated with it?

Unless its a linkage to the out-side institution, many worth-going MBA programs want multiple years of professional/related experience with a bachelors degree or masters (often 5 and 3 years, respectively), or will accept people with doctoral degrees without necessarily needing additional experience (being a med student doesn't count for this - would need to have a PhD or other doctoral degree already).

- If interning, it would be more worthwhile to be at more established places rather than a startup.
- Possibly.
- You should not start a business/non-profit if its only for "experience" to get into an MBA - you should only be doing so if that's something you truly want to do. If it was, it's likely something that would have already been done or already in the works as opposed to being asked if you should on a forum for the purposes of an MBA admission.
- Possibly, but how strong of a letter it would be would depend.
thank you! to answer your question I’m a 1st year med student and am planning to pursue an MBA between my 3rd and 4th year that does not have a linkage to my school.

I agree it’s important to only do things you truly want to do. I’m hoping to get more ideas in case there’s something interesting I haven’t thought of before. I have a genuine interest in both medicine and entrepreneurship, so I don’t see new ideas to get experience for an MBA as contrary to what I want personally. I’d welcome your or others’ suggestions for activities that mesh medicine/business.

as you mentioned experience requirements, are there different expectations for applicants who are applying during med school/residency vs traditional applicants?

thank you! to answer your question I’m a 1st year med student and am planning to pursue an MBA between my 3rd and 4th year that does not have a linkage to my school.

I agree it’s important to only do things you truly want to do. I’m hoping to get more ideas in case there’s something interesting I haven’t thought of before. I have a genuine interest in both medicine and entrepreneurship, so I don’t see new ideas to get experience for an MBA as contrary to what I want personally. I’d welcome your or others’ suggestions for activities that mesh medicine/business.

as you mentioned experience requirements, are there different expectations for applicants who are applying during med school/residency vs traditional applicants?
It will depend on the school. Check with them directly, or browse their website for admissions requirements and/or FAQs.