salaries dropping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltamed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that radiology salaries will actually decline (in absolute dollars) in the future?

I know that no one can predict this, but I'd like to hear opinions based on history.

Does anyone know of physican specialties that have dropped significantly in compensation? I know that medicare and private insurance has historically cut reimbursements many times, but it seems that physicians have resisted a parallel drop in income through changing practice patterns. Does anyone have actual statistics showing that physicians have DROPPED in salary at any time historically?

Members don't see this ad.

No one can predict the future but...

I think that when scans (ie established technology) are being paid by insurers and the federal goverment you can expect that reimbursement per procedure will stay the same or more likely go down with time. If the history is any prediction on future events. In radiology there may be new and emerging technology that increases the reimbursement for certain procedures and imaging for the work up of similiar problems because they provide a uniqueness to them that cannot be found in existing technology (ie higher sensitivity/specificity for a given clinical workup).