Locums Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Meow

9 lives ain't enough
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen much questions or answers about the locums rate for diagnostic radiologists.
Do radiologists do locums? And if so what's the potential ceiling compared to IM?

I figure that IM can see a boost from 200K -> 300K+? If the average of Rads is 400K-500K, does it get boosted to 600K-700K?
And what would be work be like? 7 on/ 7off for 600K or is it grinding 24/7 call for 600K?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen much questions or answers about the locums rate for diagnostic radiologists.
Do radiologists do locums? And if so what's the potential ceiling compared to IM?

I figure that IM can see a boost from 200K -> 300K+? If the average of Rads is 400K-500K, does it get boosted to 600K-700K?
And what would be work be like? 7 on/ 7off for 600K or is it grinding 24/7 call for 600K?

It obviously depends on the hourly rate and how much free time you have to do it. But a few additional hundred thousand is definitely doable if you want.

I’ve seen locums rates anywhere between 200-600/hr depending on shift type.

7 on/7 off daytime hours wouldn’t be that bad. And, if tele, could be in the 500 or so range at baseline.

I would strongly advise against 7/7 overnights. If you do it, that should be like 1M+. I would stick to 7 on/14 off, which should put you in the 400-500 range at baseline for tele. Should be higher 600-700 if on-site partner at baseline.

The workload is group dependent.

Also, if doing external locums… make sure your main group allows it. They usually do if there’s no geographic conflict (i.e. not a local competitor).

Lastly, those numbers are salary and bonus (if applicable). Not including benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

locums rates arent nearly high enough for be enticing for most of us. I have seen most places offer 1800-2200 per day. I have told a few random people who cold called me my minimum was 2500 per day and have never gotten a call back.

I do general rads and lite IR.

24/7 grindings lol what? 7 on 7 off jobs should be near the 1 million dollar range. most people cant and wont do that kind of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Locums isn’t worth it for less than $2500 daily. Lots of stress of going to unfamiliar location with unfamiliar workstation setup, PACS, dictation system, staff, etc. On top of that, you may need to get a new state license which you then have to maintain financially and/or get new hospital privileges that you now have to track. I find that the best moonlighting is internal. Your older partners sell their call to you or you sell your vacation to other rads. I get way more than $2500 per day because of this setup. I have plenty of older partners whose bodies can no longer handle working overnight or they want to spend more time in their vacation villas. For this reason, I have never found the need to do locums. If I did locums, I would try to find my own gigs to cut out the middlemen staffing agencies who just want a cut off your hard work. I would be looking for at least $2500, focused on my subspecialty, and reasonable setup and volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
i did locums within the last year in the rural midwest for $2750 a day 8-5 pm weekday sort of gig. general radiology. no procedures.

Reactions: 3 users
Locums isn’t worth it for less than $2500 daily. Lots of stress of going to unfamiliar location with unfamiliar workstation setup, PACS, dictation system, staff, etc. On top of that, you may need to get a new state license which you then have to maintain financially and/or get new hospital privileges that you now have to track. I find that the best moonlighting is internal. Your older partners sell their call to you or you sell your vacation to other rads. I get way more than $2500 per day because of this setup. I have plenty of older partners whose bodies can no longer handle working overnight or they want to spend more time in their vacation villas. For this reason, I have never found the need to do locums. If I did locums, I would try to find my own gigs to cut out the middlemen staffing agencies who just want a cut off your hard work. I would be looking for at least $2500, focused on my subspecialty, and reasonable setup and volume.
Even $2500 is low for a radiologist if it is a 12-hr shift. I am IM (hospitalist) and I am getting $2000 offers for 12 hrs. One of my good friends got $190/hr ($2280/day)

12 hours?! I don't know many rads pulling 12 hour shifts.

Even $2500 is low for a radiologist if it is a 12-hr shift. I am IM (hospitalist) and I am getting $2000 offers for 12 hrs. One of my good friends got $190/hr ($2280/day)
I ask minimum of $2500 for 6 hours.

I got a gig setup this Thanksgiving holiday where I'm getting $7500 for 14 hours of work. Not actually on Thanksgiving Day. I charge a premium for working on major holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I ask minimum of $2500 for 6 hours.

I got a gig setup this Thanksgiving holiday where I'm getting $7500 for 14 hours of work. Not actually on Thanksgiving Day. I charge a premium for working on major holidays.
That is an excellent rate!

Beaucoup regrets here for not doing radiology. I thought 5 years was too long since I was a non traditional student. However, IM (hospitalist) turns out to be ok salary-wise.

9C380496-437D-4539-AACF-13B4DDC4DE7A.png
45B44D4D-C66E-41F8-89C1-F339DAF808FA.png

Radiology generates a lot of money to hospitals and groups. As we learned during the pandemic, hospitals only make good profits on surgery and radiology. Everything else is pretty much a loss leader.

Radiology generates a lot of money to hospitals and groups. As we learned during the pandemic, hospitals only make good profits on surgery and radiology. Everything else is pretty much a loss leader.

Is this just on facility fees since im assuming in a PP the group gets the professional fees?

Radiology is stressful though isn’t it?