New salary numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think 7 on them time off is fairly common for both em and rads. Also, rads shifts are shorter than EM shifts, in my experience.

To get back to the original point. Most rads are working bankers hours. I don’t know any EMs doing that.
The only rads I know who are working banker's hours are mamo. Who do you think provides the read on the cta at 2 am on Saturday?

Or does the lumbar puncture on the weekend when the hospitalist says he doesn't know how?

Members don't see this ad.

I said MOST, not ALL. Most imaging is done during regular daytime hours. A lot of it is performed at outpatient centers. Only a minority of rads work nights. I know zero EM docs working exclusively daytime hours.

IR is not a prerequisite for neuro IR. Going IR -> NIR as actually very atypical. It’s usually DR -> neuro -> NIR

You negotiate the length of your fellowship. If you have extensive neuro experience with your R4 elective time most will make your fellowship only 1 year. If you took your elective time to pursue something else, then yes neuro would be 2 years.

nowhere in this scheme is IR a requirement other than what your DR residency requires

Wait really?? How does it only take 1 year to learn the regular end-vascular techniques let alone in the brain?

EDIT: after looking at a few places online it looks like the path is generally DR -> Neuro fellowship -> then 2 years of NIR fellowship

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait really?? How does it only take 1 year to learn the regular end-vascular techniques let alone in the brain?

EDIT: after looking at a few places online it looks like the path is generally DR -> Neuro fellowship -> then 2 years of NIR fellowship

There are some places, e.g. MIR, that let you do a one year post-neurorads fellowship IF you have sufficient cerebral angiography and Neuro ICU exposure garnered during your residency / neurorads fellowship. The amount isn’t trivial, and a lot of people won’t be able to qualify. There are some other lower-tier fellowships that do the same, but generally those are ones you don’t want to go to because they’re far less likely to guarantee a true, appropriately paid NIR position as an attending.

Generally if you want to make a boatload of cash, it would be better to take more call and dive deep into your vacation time than to do NIR.

Reactions: 1 users
There are some places, e.g. MIR, that let you do a one year post-neurorads fellowship IF you have sufficient cerebral angiography and Neuro ICU exposure garnered during your residency / neurorads fellowship. The amount isn’t trivial, and a lot of people won’t be able to qualify. There are some other lower-tier fellowships that do the same, but generally those are ones you don’t want to go to because they’re far less likely to guarantee a true, appropriately paid NIR position as an attending.

Generally if you want to make a boatload of cash, it would be better to take more call and dive deep into your vacation time than to do NIR.
Are there situations in which NIR makes disproportionately more than DR + (#of call shifts x call pay)? I.e. some sort of bonus just for being there

Are there situations in which NIR makes disproportionately more than DR + (#of call shifts x call pay)? I.e. some sort of bonus just for being there
Yeah you can make neurosurgery type money doing NIR but that entails taking a lot of stroke call which means you're coming in in the middle of the night to do thrombectomies.

Lol if you make 650 thats more than 80%> of rads.

Def made the right choice switching to whatever it is ure in now.
Depends where you live. If you live in the midwest you can easily make 650 if you work hard.

Reactions: 2 users
I think not, although there’s a guy in academia at a uni of california doing NIR who makes 1.1 million (salaries for UC are publicly available). My understanding is that thrombectomy RVU is pretty low in the teens, and it’s the embolisms that pay really well (and these are done in the morning).

Reactions: 1 users