Safe to drop out of match after receiving contract?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonefromTX

Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a current PGY-1 surgery prelim resident who accepted a PGY2 categorical position offer for next year. The Program Director at the program where I'll be continuing my residency has noticed me by phone of the PGY-2 position offer, and the program coordinator sent me the onboarding tasks and a contract to sign (I've already received it), and to send back by mail. They mentioned that I will need to drop out of the match for this year.

Is the contract legally binding for them to accept me as a resident? I'm just worried to cancel all my interviews, drop out of the match now and then they change their mind and decide to hire someone else. They seem really honest people and I don't think they'll do that at all, just hoping to get y'alls opinion on when it is safe to drop out of the match.

Members don't see this ad.

Once the contract is signed By ALL PARTIES, then I’d consider dropping out. Not before.

Reactions: 1 user
Does it become legally binding if all parties sign it, and I receive a copy of it through email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it become legally binding if all parties sign it, and I receive a copy of it through email?

A contract signed by one party is a piece of paper. A contract signed by both is a contract with the associated legal definition, meaning you could sue for breach of contract if they break it. Keep in mind that we are still vulnerable even with a signed contract, as we have neither the time nor money to pursue legal action for breach.

Reactions: 3 users
It depends on how much you want to go to the program in question.

For a generic spot, I wouldn't sign a contract before the match. Sounds kind of sketch.

Mostly because even if BOTH parties sign the contract, and the program breaches the contract, would you really want to attend a program you had to LEGALLY STRONG-ARM yourself into? That's the ultimate recipe for getting black-balled.

I would just do the match.

Reactions: 1 user