Program-Specific Info / Q's Sacred Heart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BHfutureOT

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone who has applied to Sacred Heart has heard back yet? At the information session they said they get back to you pretty quickly but it has been over a month since I applied and I know they are rolling so I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything about interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I submitted my application to Sacred Heart at the start of October. I received an email about an invitation to interview on November 5th, and I had the interview (along with ~20 other applicants) on November 16th. I have not heard back yet about a decision. Hope this helps!

Hi! I submitted my application to Sacred Heart at the start of October. I received an email about an invitation to interview on November 5th, and I had the interview (along with ~20 other applicants) on November 16th. I have not heard back yet about a decision. Hope this helps!
Hi! I am currently a student in the MSOT program at SHU. If you have any questions then feel free to ask! I love our program and am very happy I chose SHU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am currently a student in the MSOT program at SHU. If you have any questions then feel free to ask! I love our program and am very happy I chose SHU!
What's campus life like? How is diversity on campus/in the general area?

What's campus life like? How is diversity on campus/in the general area?
The CHE (Center for healthcare education) is a building about a mile off campus where all the classes are held. So you never actually go to the main campus. The CHE is where classes for all health professions are. So you dont get the experience of campus life fully. But you do become close with those in your cohort of 60 first years. We do have a fairly diverse class, with different races and people who just graduated undergrad, and someone who is 28 years old. Fairfield is not the most diverse area though, so that is a downside. If you have any more questions I am happy to answer them!

Hello! I interviewed on November 16th and received an acceptance on 12/2!

I applied at the end of August and I just got an interview invitation for December 16th this week! I wouldn't give up yet. They're definitely still looking at candidates :)

I applied at the end of August and I just got an interview invitation for December 16th this week! I wouldn't give up yet. They're definitely still looking at candidates :)
Good luck with the intwerview! I will probably be on the zoom call as a current student willing to answer questions! Let me know if you have any questions, the professors are really laid back!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for letting me know! I applied mid-October and was getting nervous as they said they let you know pretty quickly. Good luck on your interview!!!

I will probably be on the zoom call as a current student willing to answer questions! Let me know if you have any questions

Thank you Thughey, I look forward to meeting you!

Based on the email, the interview will be significantly different from my previous interviews. The length and the group interview aspects are both new to me. The longest interview I've had so far was 1 hour and it included a written component and a meeting with current students.

Is there anything you would suggest interviewees do to prepare for SHU's interview?

Thank you Thughey, I look forward to meeting you!

Based on the email, the interview will be significantly different from my previous interviews. The length and the group interview aspects are both new to me. The longest interview I've had so far was 1 hour and it included a written component and a meeting with current students.

Is there anything you would suggest interviewees do to prepare for SHU's interview?
For the group part show the faculty you listen to other people in the group. So say "Johnny that was a great point you made about... it made me think of..." That shows you are actively listening!

For the individual just be yourself! I know that sounds cheesy but the professors here really care about who you are as a person, outside of all your stats. So be personable and show them who you are as a person!

For the individual just be yourself!
I just thought of another question if you don't mind!

It wasn't clear in the invitation, but the website mentions that interviews are typically conducted round-robin style with 5 different faculty members each asking a different question. Do you know if this style of interview is preserved in the Zoom format?

I just know that we've had a lot of issues figuring out breakout rooms at my work. It can be a lot to manage, but I can see how it might work if they're better at Zoom than us!

It wasn't clear in the invitation, but the website mentions that interviews are typically conducted round-robin style with 5 different faculty members each asking a different question. Do you know if this style of interview is preserved in the Zoom format?

I just know that we've had a lot of issues figuring out breakout rooms at my work. It can be a lot to manage, but I can see how it might work if they're better at Zoom than us!
There is no round-robin for this zoom interview! It is the group interview then you meet with one faculty member for I think like 10 mins ish.

Members don't see this ad :)

I hope your interview went well! Who did you have for the one on one?

I hope your interview went well! Who did you have for the one on one?
I think that my interview went well! I had Lola Halperin and she made the interview really easy even though I was super nervous.

I did have some technical difficulties during the PBL exercise - my screen glitched out a few minutes in and I couldn't see anyone but I could still hear them and they could see and hear me. It really threw me off not being able to see anything, but I still contributed and I took your advice. I just had to say "like the person who was just talking said" instead of saying their names!

Do you have any idea when we should expect to hear back? I don't remember if anyone gave a timeframe beyond "soon".

I also wanted to say that I'm really impressed by your passion for Sacred Heart and thank you for answering everyone's questions :)

I think that my interview went well! I had Lola Halperin and she made the interview really easy even though I was super nervous.

I did have some technical difficulties during the PBL exercise - my screen glitched out a few minutes in and I couldn't see anyone but I could still hear them and they could see and hear me. It really threw me off not being able to see anything, but I still contributed and I took your advice. I just had to say "like the person who was just talking said" instead of saying their names!

Do you have any idea when we should expect to hear back? I don't remember if anyone gave a timeframe beyond "soon".

I also wanted to say that I'm really impressed by your passion for Sacred Heart and thank you for answering everyone's questions :)
I am glad it went well! I love Lola and she is so personable and nice to everyone! In terms of hearing back, I heard back the next day, but some people heard back within the week. I am not sure if that may be delayed though because we are online. Thank you so much I sometimes felt like I was just ranting haha, but glad it came off well! I do love this program and am happy to answer any other questions you have! I hope you hear good news soon!

Hey @Thughey !! I just finished my interview and I had a question I forgot to ask. How are exams at SHU? Since a majority of the learning happens through PBL, I was curious to know if the class exam format was more open ended as well. How does SHU prepare its students for the NBCOT?

Hey @Thughey !! I just finished my interview and I had a question I forgot to ask. How are exams at SHU? Since a majority of the learning happens through PBL, I was curious to know if the class exam format was more open ended as well. How does SHU prepare its students for the NBCOT?
I hope your interview went well! Exams are definitely tough, but I do feel prepared for the NBCOT. All the exams are multiple-choice, because the NBCOT is multiple choice! SHU does offer courses to prepare you as well for the NBCOT. Please let me know if you have any other questions! I would be happy to chat more!

I hope your interview went well! Exams are definitely tough, but I do feel prepared for the NBCOT. All the exams are multiple-choice, because the NBCOT is multiple choice! SHU does offer courses to prepare you as well for the NBCOT. Please let me know if you have any other questions! I would be happy to chat more!
Thanks for the quick response! Are the NBCOT prep courses free/embedded into the curriculum or at an additional cost?

Edit: My interview went well! I was interviewed by Sheelagh and she told me good job at the end of my interview! :) I had a few additional questions if you don't mind answering

1) How often do students write essays? I know you said all exams are multiple choice, but are there some classes where we have to do essay/critical writing?
2) From what time to what time do students take classes? Is it mostly in the morning? Is it all day?
3) Do you work with cadavers in the anatomy lab?

I wasn't sure about SHU before but I really enjoyed my interview process and am seriously considering Sacred Heart!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response! Are the NBCOT prep courses free/embedded into the curriculum or at an additional cost?

Edit: My interview went well! I was interviewed by Sheelagh and she told me good job at the end of my interview! :) I had a few additional questions if you don't mind answering

1) How often do students write essays? I know you said all exams are multiple choice, but are there some classes where we have to do essay/critical writing?
2) From what time to what time do students take classes? Is it mostly in the morning? Is it all day?
3) Do you work with cadavers in the anatomy lab?

I wasn't sure about SHU before but I really enjoyed my interview process and am seriously considering Sacred Heart!
The NBCOT courses are free and are taken after you complete FW! We dont write essays that much at all. We do writing in Problem based learning but it is like a page that we write once a week. Classes can range. Sometimes I had one class at 12. Then other days I was there from 9-6. Yes, we do work with cadavers. I love it!

Does anyone know if there is a final interview date for Sacred Heart? I applied a few months ago and haven’t heard anything yet.

I’m shaking. I just found out I got in. My interview was only two days ago!

Hi everyone! Bumping this thread.

I’m having a really hard time choosing between Sacred Heart and Salus. I love that SHU gives a month long winter break, and even a spring break. I love that they have an entire trimester dedicated to mental health too.
They sent out the schedule for the fall semester and I really like it. I also noticed they scheduled the AOTA conference in the academic schedule. Do all students have the opportunity to attend?

Hi everyone! Bumping this thread.

I’m having a really hard time choosing between Sacred Heart and Salus. I love that SHU gives a month long winter break, and even a spring break. I love that they have an entire trimester dedicated to mental health too.
They sent out the schedule for the fall semester and I really like it. I also noticed they scheduled the AOTA conference in the academic schedule. Do all students have the opportunity to attend?
Yes, all students do have the opportunity to attend! SHU gives a specific amount of money each year for students to spend on conferences. That money covers most of the fees for the AOTA conference, you just cover transportation/hotel costs!
SHU also gives 3 weeks off from the first week of August till the start of September, which is a much-needed break!
I love the mental health semester, that is something that really helps SHU stand out from other OT programs.

Let me know if you have any other questions!