Sackler Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCLA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Will people reply to this thread when they start hearing back from Sackler? I had an interview there in early February and it is my first choice school...so I'm really anxious to hear back! I heard they can send the acceptance letters anytime between March-June.

Also...if there are any current Sackler students reading this and you want to share advice can you post your advice of your screen name/email address so we can ask questions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PM me for my email/AIM and I'll give it to you

I called the Sackler office today and they said they weren't going to be giving out any acceptances until Spring. I asked what month and they said probably April.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for Israeli psychometry preparation book for in English. I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks.

I received my acceptance letter yesterday in the mail - thin envelope. good luck to you all!

Acceptance letter today in the mail - thin envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acceptance letter today too! I live in santa barbara, california

I received my acceptance letter yesterday in the mail - thin envelope. good luck to you all!
For all you guys who just got their letters of acceptance....when did you guys interview?? And CONGRATS!

I got that thin letter on Thursday too...I was scared to open it at first, but it was an acceptance!

Anyone know how to start a facebook "Sackler 2011" group so we can all join?

hey i got put on the waitlist...does anyone know if my chances of getting off it are good or not?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted yesterday!

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to procrastinate further and try to answer them!

To the person who got waitlisted: I do know of at least one person who got in off the wait list. Remember that the admission process is not as formal as for US schools. If you really want to go, contact the office and ask if they have specific reservations about your application, and if you can provide any additional information to help address them. Good luck!

-- Punchberry, MSII

Hey congrats to all those who got in!

Would you all mind posting your stats - whether you got in or not - and what it was about your application that the admissions commitee liked or did not like? Obviously you probably do not know for sure, but just your impressions based on conversations with people at Sackler...

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, I have created a Sackler class of 2011 on facebook. To join, all you have to do is search for "Sackler class of 2011". See you all on facebook.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone post the 2007 Sackler Match List by any chance? ... just curious

I saw it hanging somewhere around the campus near the student lounge but it has since dissapeared... What I remember from it and from the match night was that there was 1 optho, 1 rads, 1 ortho, 5 general surgeries, 3 anesthes, at least 1 EM, and a bunch of IM and Peds (one was at John's Hopkins). Most matched in the NY area, but there was 1 chicago, 1 LA, 1 Miami, 1 Tulane, 1 Baltimore, 1 Virginia, and I think 1 Philly. That's all I remember. Just ask the school for the list. They will give it out to you. They were pretty happy about the matches. It should be noted that the optho and one of the anesthes went outside the match (early-matched).

.I am a 4th year with to much time on my hands so I thought I would help out with the match list. 3 for Anesthesiology, 3 for EM, 5 for General Surgery, 4 for IM, 4 for OB/GYN, 1 for Ophthalmology, 1 for Orthopedics, 8 for Peds, 1 for PM&R, 2 for Psychiatry, and one for Radiology. Hope that helps. Sackler was the best 4 years of my life. You will enjoy it. If you have any questions, send me a msg. Good luck to everyone. :D

"I am a 4th year with to much time on my hands so I thought I would help out with the match list. 3 for Anesthesiology, 3 for EM, 5 for General Surgery, 4 for IM, 4 for OB/GYN, 1 for Ophthalmology, 1 for Orthopedics, 8 for Peds, 1 for PM&R, 2 for Psychiatry, and one for Radiology. Hope that helps. Sackler was the best 4 years of my life. You will enjoy it. If you have any questions, send me a msg. Good luck to everyone."

I have a question about how many people match from Sackler. I was told by the admissions office that 100% of all their students match- is this true? How many people are in the class of 2007? From the match details above, i count only 33, but I thought Sackler had a class of between 70-90 people- what about everyone else? Could someone shed some light on Sackler match statistics?????? Much thanks

I was told by the admissions office that 100% of all their students match- is this true?

No. Most people match, but every year a couple don't. I don't know the statistics.

How many people are in the class of 2007? From the match details above, i count only 33, but I thought Sackler had a class of between 70-90 people- what about everyone else?

Currently, each class is a different size. Some of the classes that started with a bad political situation are smaller. Supposedly the target class size has been 60, but there are currently almost 80 first years, 60-something second years, 50-something third years, and 30-something fourth years. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact numbers.

"Supposedly the target class size has been 60, but there are currently almost 80 first years, 60-something second years, 50-something third years, and 30-something fourth years."

Wow, even with a bad political situation, I am suprised to hear the drastic reduction in class size- are people dropping out of the program (and, why?), or is this just due to a 'bad political situation'? When I try and ask these type of questions to the NY office, it is like pulling teeth from a croc, whereas other medical institutions readily publish and keep such statistics, so I am very interested to attend Sackler but am cautious due to this fact..........

.Sorry. 11 for IM and 9 for Peds. There might have been more. This is a rough list. There are 40+ of us. Almost everyone matched this year. I don’t know the exact stats either. This was an exceptional year. At least 5 people opted to take a year off for personal reasons (family, babies, relationships, etc.) Overall, it was an impressive match for our small class. There was a lot of variety in pretty competitive specialties and people matched into top hospitals. .

Wow, even with a bad political situation, I am suprised to hear the drastic reduction in class size- are people dropping out of the program (and, why?), or is this just due to a 'bad political situation'?

The difference in the number of graduating students is due to a difference in the number of students who start each year. Almost nobody leaves, although some people take a year off, etc.

Thanks, 'punchberry' and 'EMDOC2' for your reply- I appreciate it. When I went in for the interview at Sackler the office gave me a list of current students with their contact details in case I had any further questions. I've e-mailed five of them, but haven't received any responses, so I thought since Sackler students seem to be checking SDN maybe I would get a better response if I just posted my questions for all to see..... Here it goes- a list of rather random questions in no particular order of importance:

1) demographics of the students- how old are most
people and will I stick out if I am not Jewish?

2) How do you find the cost of living in Tel Aviv-
cheap, expensive?

3) Are you satisfied with the quality of education you
are receiving? How large are the lectures, labs?

4) For your clinical rotations do you have the
opportunity to work with the Russian, Ethiopian, or
Palestinian populations?

5) What are the electrical outlets in Israel- like in
the US, Germany, UK, Italia????

6) Any comments on life in TA? Temperature of the
beach water? Is there a good rec facility or pool at
the university?

7) Do you know of any students who placed into
residencies in the Pacific NW, ie Seattle, Portland?

8) ARE YOU HAPPY?!?!?!?!

9) Do you have to do anything special to come back to
the US and practice, ie sit for any extra tests for foreign
medical grads, etc?

12) Housing- good/bad, does Sackler help you find a
place?

13) Have you heard of any students defering for a year
(am thinking to finish my MPH and do a public health study somewhere
for a short period of time abroad.......), and am not sure if Sackler will
let me defer or what their policy is.......

14) did you feel prepared for the USMLE?

15) any other words of wisdom you may have!

Thanks in advance!

In response to the above questions. I am a first year student and will answer as best I can.

1. The oldest person in our class is 31 (we are a class of 77). 8 of our classmates arent jewish, and that doesnt affect anything, they do fine here, and are not singled out.

2. Living in Ramat Aviv is fine, I have a nice apartment that could technically have 3 people living in it, but I have 1 roommate. I pay 480 for rent, and then pay utilities on top of that.

3. How large are the lectures? Umm, the size of your class. But usually a lot of people skip. Labs are boring, except for anatomy lab.

4. Im just a first year, but as far as I know all rotations are done in Israel, and electives are done in the states your 4th year.

5. The outlets are 220v at 60hz maybe? Most US things, laptops say 110-220v on them, so you can just slap an adapter on and they work. For other things, you just get a transformer.

6. Great sports center, I am not a member, also a good nice beach that is walking distance for most people living near the school.

8. I miss certain things about America, but ultimately I am happy here. I like my class, we mostly all get along, so its nice.

9. As far as I know, we do USMLE step 1, Step 2 CS and CK, like all the other students.

Why you skipped 10,11 is beyond me.

12. Sackler helps you find a place, I had one previously found. Some places suck, but they are livable, and beat the awful dorms. My place is great, but ive seen much nicer.

13. No Idea on deferring. Some religious kids will do 2 years then take a year off to study at yeshiva.

14. Cant answer this one, but Sackler gives students a lot of time to prepare for the USMLE, and the scores of this years 3rd year class were impressive, with 2 perfect scores.

15. Words of wisdom. Eat all the taco bell, subway, and other terrible food for you before you come here. Maybe get a book on hebrew, and start learning, as it will help a lot.

Does anyone know what orientation consists of exactly and if it is helpful?

For us, it was Aug 15th - August 30th. It's very important. You get to hang out with all the people in your class, find housing, spend time relaxing in Israel, meet the administration, attend white coat ceremony, etc etc. When we went on trips to Jerusalem, Ein Gedi, Masada, and the Dead Sea it felt like I was back on my Teen Mission (or for others, their birthright trips). It's a fun time. At times, you'll feel like a camper with counselors (but they're called "guides").

There was also a one-night orientation near the end of July in NYC, LA, and I think Toronto, for people to ask questions to second year students (and in NYC, the NY Sackler office staff). The best information you will recieve is from current students.

Hi Maji- Thanks for taking the time to comment to all my questions. (After reading through other SDN comments a few were answered, so I deleted number 10,11- but neglected to re-number properly------ apologies for the confusion :)

Do classes usually start from 8am and go till 5pm? What is an average week schedule wise for first and second year students? Also, are there any specific resources you suggest for learning Hebrew? Are there opportunities to find an apartment with Israeli students- I've found from living abroad when you live with native speakers you pick up the language fast- is there an on-line housing board that many students use?

Do any other current Sackler students have any comments to the question list above?

I have a lot of family in Israel including an awesome grandma who lives in Tel Aviv. I was thinking about living with her to save some money my first year, but I'm worried that I will miss out on the student social scene at Sackler. Any thoughts?

Most people who have family in Israel do not live with them. Whether that is a condition of proximity to the school or missing out on the social scene, it depends on each individual I assume. I know of two girls in my class who live with their immediate families (one in hertzylia and the other I cannot recall). There was also another classmate who lived with family at the start of the year but then moved in with other students a few months in.

No question though, you would be saving considerable money if you lived with family.

For any current or graduated Sackler students, do you know what the average, or range, of board scores were on Step 1 and Step 2?

Classes vary on day to day, first trimester its pretty easy, classes somedays are 10-2 or 9-1, but by the end of the year its full blown 9-5 or 8-5. This is a long day for those who choose to attend class, but attending class isnt required for most things, unless you personally gain from attending (i do not).

Im not sure the averages on the USMLE, but i do know that two third years apparently scored perfectly on step 1, and that the average is pretty good.

Also, I am attaching the match list for the class of 2007.
Match List 2007

Classes vary on day to day, first trimester its pretty easy, classes somedays are 10-2 or 9-1, but by the end of the year its full blown 9-5 or 8-5. This is a long day for those who choose to attend class, but attending class isnt required for most things, unless you personally gain from attending (i do not).

Im not sure the averages on the USMLE, but i do know that two third years apparently scored perfectly on step 1, and that the average is pretty good.

Also, I am attaching the match list for the class of 2007.
Match List 2007

Wow I'm so impressed with the match list! there's an ophtho match, that's very cool! Thanks for attaching it.

Maybe not related but what are my chances of getting accepted at sackler now?

I have a 3.89 GPA
MCAT Bio 8 Phy 9 Ver 3
Lots of volunteer
I am on the wait list of DO school but in case I dont get a spot here I want to be able to use my year.
I love israel too so why not to come ther
but do you think they would take me with my status?

Thank you

ummm...with a 3 in verbal it'll be hard to get in anywhere especially this late in the year...you could always do january acceptance at ross or sgu in the caribbean..or retake the mcat

ps...to the person asking about the waitlist...i was on it for 2 weeks before getting my acceptance letter

My advice- don't buy the books in the states- get 'em in Israel

you need to retake the mcat... verbal is the most important section on the MCAT.. with your GPA, you should have no problem scoring higher overall.

you need to retake the mcat... verbal is the most important section on the MCAT.. with your GPA, you should have no problem scoring higher overall.
Well the problem is I dont have time for retaking MCAT for 2007 entering class any more so my only option would be taking TOEFL to compensate that maybe.

my question is if they would consider me as a candidate... having in mind that is my only weak point and english is not my second language or maybe 3rd.

i've never heard of someone getting into sackler with a 3 in verbal... granted this isn't something people go around and broadcast if they did get that subset score. the caliber of students here is reflected in their USMLE scores and their residency placement. you have to remember, that for many students, they either only wanted to attend med school in israel, or were deciding between US MD/US DO and sackler.. of course, there were others who just missed US MD in terms of credentials, but didn't adhere to the DO philosophy and thus this became a viable option for.

i honestly don't know what your chances are; i wish you the best of luck.. you may need it.

overall, most people that have made their scores public here scored somewhere in the high 20s and low-to-mid 30s...

when is going to med school in fall 2007 so important? you'll have plenty of time to become a doctor if you wait a year or two or five. you may want a backup plan and focus on the weak spots in your application... i personally think very low of those schools down in the 'tropics' (because of their for-profit nature), but i do know a few people who go to them and they'll get you where you want to go eventually... have you looked in that avenue?... i know some of those schools don't even require an MCAT!!

well for one..the good schools down there are ross and st. georges...i havent heard much about any others in the 'tropics'...also..one of the biggest hospitals where i live has many ross and sgu residents...so the stigma isnt as bad as it used to be...my boss is a doctor and he says that theyre decent schools

another thing...i asked a lot of people for their advice if i should apply to med schools...actually...my boss in my undergraduate research job flat out said he wouldnt write me a letter of recommendation because he didnt think i would get accepted anywhere...if i listened to him i would not be in sackler's class of 2011...if you dont try you'll never know

Well the problem is I dont have time for retaking MCAT for 2007 entering class any more so my only option would be taking TOEFL to compensate that maybe.

my question is if they would consider me as a candidate... having in mind that is my only weak point and english is not my second language or maybe 3rd.

I dont think that TOEFL will cut it. I took both. TOEFL is very easy comparing to MCAT verbal..very very easy.

well class of 2011 starts in like 3 months...why do you want to go this year?? that 3 in verbal is really hurting your chances of getting in anywhere...plus..you scored an 8 and a 9 on the other sections..those were in english too..

im not trying to sound like an ass...english is my 2nd language too

dont understand how yall can be critical on a person with a low MCAT score. If you had a superb MCAT score why arent you in a US medical school? People come on here her for advice and not to be criticized. Wiscobadger, with a 20 you can get into a couple of postbacs with guaranteed admissions, if you have any questions about that, send me a message.

dont understand how yall can be critical on a person with a low MCAT score. If you had a superb MCAT score why arent you in a US medical school? People come on here her for advice and not to be criticized. Wiscobadger, with a 20 you can get into a couple of postbacs with guaranteed admissions, if you have any questions about that, send me a message.

huh? People come on hear for honest advice and opinions. If they wanted "sugar-coating" they could get that from their parents or friends. I don't think anyone was trying to be intentionally rude.

And in regards to your other points:

1. Many Sackler students did gain admission to US medical schools but chose to study in Israel for varying reasons. Although some of my classmates GPAs may have been slightly lower than US averages, many scored very well on the MCAT (30+). The reason why Sackler students perform very well on the USMLE Step 1 has probably more to due with the caliber and intelligence of the students than on the teaching at the medical school.

2. The person who was wondering about his/her chances of gaining admission to an MD medical school with a strong GPA and a low MCAT would not be helped by a postbac program since those programs are there for people who have lower GPAs (not lower MCAT scores). The only remedy for a low MCAT score is to retake the test. This is the problem with standardized tests. It's the only numerical tool adcoms can use to compare various candidates even though some people are naturally better test-takers than others.

huh? People come on hear for honest advice and opinions. If they wanted "sugar-coating" they could get that from their parents or friends. I don't think anyone was trying to be intentionally rude.

And in regards to your other points:

1. Many Sackler students did gain admission to US medical schools but chose to study in Israel for varying reasons. Although some of my classmates GPAs may have been slightly lower than US averages, many scored very well on the MCAT (30+). The reason why Sackler students perform very well on the USMLE Step 1 has probably more to due with the caliber and intelligence of the students than on the teaching at the medical school.

2. The person who was wondering about his/her chances of gaining admission to an MD medical school with a strong GPA and a low MCAT would not be helped by a postbac program since those programs are there for people who have lower GPAs (not lower MCAT scores). The only remedy for a low MCAT score is to retake the test. This is the problem with standardized tests. It's the only numerical tool adcoms can use to compare various candidates even some people are naturally better test-takers than others.
Thank you all.. and by no means I wanted to start a fight. I respect sacklers students and I can see that they have high standards.

I dont think I need any postbac since my GPA is good and I took almost all kind of science and non science course.

I think my only chance for this year might be taking the TOEFL test just to prove that the MCAT verbal score is not showing the real me. maybe that can buy me a chance from addmissions.

other than that I will retake the MCAT and apply for next year.
It is just such a pain hearing from family that I am wasting my year and I should start something else instead.

For anyone on the waitlist I am opening a spot up at Sackler as I have decided to stay in the U.S. Good luck!!!! :D

my family also kept telling me about wasting a year...it sucks..but in the long run who cares...its just a year and you have plenty of time to become a doctor...plus..its you going to med school..not your family..so they should just respect that you are forced to take a year off

Ahh.. the infamous "thin letter"! I got accepted to Sackler for (2011) and was wondering how many of us were there? The SDN forum has been very informative esp. with some of the major questions I had.
I have a general question though.. how does the financial part work for students going abroad to study medicine (no state loans etc.)? What kind of loans have you'll applied for??
Also how's the faculty and lectures... are they approachable and helpful etc.?
How important is Hebrew for clinicals?

Thanks so much!!

Marie

P.S.: I think it would be good idea to have a "Sackler 2011 class" on facebook

Ahh.. the infamous "thin letter"! I got accepted to Sackler for (2011) and was wondering how many of us were there? The SDN forum has been very informative esp. with some of the major questions I had.
I have a general question though.. how does the financial part work for students going abroad to study medicine (no state loans etc.)? What kind of loans have you'll applied for??
Also how's the faculty and lectures... are they approachable and helpful etc.?
How important is Hebrew for clinicals?

Thanks so much!!

Marie

P.S.: I think it would be good idea to have a "Sackler 2011 class" on facebook

1. The school will provide you with the information regarding student loans. If you need them, there is the Federal Stafford Loan and the Federal Plus Loan which would cover all your expenses in Israel. You can always check around for some scholarship money too. Generally, Jewish federations will give money to students studying in Israel.

2. Some of the lectures are amazing; some aren't that good. They are generally approachable and helpful moreso than most of my professors in undergrad.

3. From what I hear, Hebrew is important in clinicals-- not just to interact with patients but to here what the doctors are saying to each other when they are not speaking to the students in english.

4. One of your classmates is a step ahead of you. There is a facebook group entitled "Sackler class of 2011"

Thanks for replying :)

QUOTE=ijcMD;5240006]1. The school will provide you with the information regarding student loans. If you need them, there is the Federal Stafford Loan and the Federal Plus Loan which would cover all your expenses in Israel. You can always check around for some scholarship money too. Generally, Jewish federations will give money to students studying in Israel.

2. Some of the lectures are amazing; some aren't that good. They are generally approachable and helpful moreso than most of my professors in undergrad.

3. From what I hear, Hebrew is important in clinicals-- not just to interact with patients but to here what the doctors are saying to each other when they are not speaking to the students in english.

4. One of your classmates is a step ahead of you. There is a facebook group entitled "Sackler class of 2011"[/QUOTE]

Thank you all.. and by no means I wanted to start a fight. I respect sacklers students and I can see that they have high standards.

I dont think I need any postbac since my GPA is good and I took almost all kind of science and non science course.

I think my only chance for this year might be taking the TOEFL test just to prove that the MCAT verbal score is not showing the real me. maybe that can buy me a chance from addmissions.

other than that I will retake the MCAT and apply for next year.
It is just such a pain hearing from family that I am wasting my year and I should start something else instead.

The MCAT verbal section supposedly tests your critical thinking skills, not your knowledge of the english language. so i'm not sure if the TOEFL will help you in that sense. but good luck to you either way!

I need help from any current sackler student, please

I hope to apply this coming year to sackler, and i have completed all prereqs except organic chemistry which i plan to take this fall.

Should i take a heavy course load of upper level science courses ( something which i havent done in the past) , OR should I just take the organic chem. and spend some time building up my research and volunteer resume ( which isnt presently that great)

basically, the question is, will Sackler mind that my past science courses werent concentrated, but were done over the course of a few years during my Non-science major. Do they really want to see that i can handle a very heavy courseload, or would they rather see commitment thru research and volunteer work?