Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Congrats to the new acceptances! I finally found an apartment (It was hard being an out-of-towner)!!! Decided on Bucktown/Wicker Park area. And I also decided on T.H.E as a lender....hope that was the right way to go! I still haven't gotten any welcome packet from Rush (probably shuffling between addresses)....when did you guys get yours and was there any really pertinent info?

Also, if anyone is looking for a good summer reading book that is medically related, Medicine's 10 Greatest Discoveries (Yale Nota Bene) by Meyer Friedman and Gerald W. Friedland was an easy and informative read...I would highly recommend it!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to the new acceptances!

As far as an M1 schedule, at the interview day they showed us a paper that had stuff typically from 9-4. They said sometimes there are half days as they may cancel the morning lectures or afternoon lab. As far as I saw there are no night classes and they guaranteed nothing starting before 9 am. Along those same lines, I think exams are pretty much always held on Fridays. For books, I know the M2s put out a guide for helpful texts, but there is no "required" texts for any class. I think some of the anatomy atlases can be found online, but as to downloading full books for other topics, I don't know what is available. Hope that info helps.

Abby

Just a heads up: first quarter M1 is 9-4 or 9-5 + studying. The first couple weeks everyone will go to every class and be completely overwhelmed. This is OK because you need to go through all the bull**** together to meet your classmates. After a month or so, classes will be 60-70% full, depending on the class. (At the end of the year, lectures will be 40-50% full) Some classes, like anatomy lecture, will always be full. Unless you are one of the "I am held-hostage-by-my-guilt-for-not-going-to-class" people, try to figure out which classes you need to go to, and which you are better off studying in the library/home/bookstore for. *Hint* Biochemistry 2nd and 3rd quarter is a class you should *almost* never attend. If you learn to use your time wisely, you will study better and more efficiently, and perform better on exams.

Exams are held in week-long blocks every 5 weeks, usually from Friday to Friday (4 exams) with tests friday, monday, wednesday, friday. It's nice because this is typically the only thing you have to worry about. There are no other assignments, except a short ethics paper the first two quarters (takes an hour or two).

Also: try to attend the events that are planned each night during the first week. These are typically just hangouts at bars/restaurants. They are usually pretty fun, lots of people show up, including M2s. It helped me a lot to talk to the upperclassmen when I was an M1 so you know what to expect. After a while you will realize that at the beginning of each quarter is the time to have fun, as your day will be literally consumed by nothing but studying during exam week and 1-2 weeks prior. Take advantage when you can. Don't freak out and think medical school is unmanageable and your life is over. It's not. Just find out what helps you learn and disregard the other stuff.

chef_NU thanx for the info.

Someone earlier had asked about banks near by. I was in the area the other day and noticed a Bank of America branch close by (within couple of blocks of Rush on Ashland) and there's also a Staples around Rush as well. If you like gourmet food, there's also a taco bell w/ KFC on Ashland and Ogden.

Does anyone here know any good places to eat or drink close by. I'll be living at center court gardens possibly without a car and was just curious. Any dive bars around? or cheap places to drink? or just to hang out outdoors?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are chase atms in armour academic facility (where your classes are). There's also a number of banks within 10-15 minutes walk of campus on taylor street (just head east).

The taco bell and staples are close by, but north of 290 (the expressway bordering rush on the north side). Just a warning: north of 290 is ghetto and try to avoid it if you can. This is also where the United Center is, so if you see any Bulls/Hawks games during the year try to arrange a ride home after the game. There's plenty of places to eat on Taylor (check out De Pasada, Yummy Thai, Japonica, Pompei) that are within 10 minutes walk on campus. A bar called Hawkeyes, which you will become very familiar with soon, is about 10 minutes walk from campus with good food and cheap drinks. A nice place to hang out during the week or on slow nights, but Friday and Saturday you probably want to go into Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville.

Hey all-

Moving in August 31 for sure now, just wanted to know when everyone else was going to be around for some pre-orientation social gatherings.

I do still plan on organizing some sort of get together too, for all those that PMed me their email addresses.

M1s-

orientation is just a few weeks away and i envy the hell out of you guys. that first week is a blast meeting everyone and socializing like crazy way before you have to buckle down and worry about exams. all of you guys should definitely come to every event even if you don't drink. and if you do drink, the drink specials are awesome so get ready to drink a lot. a word of caution though; don't way over drink that first night and embarrass yourself/try to make out with every cute girl in your class. if only the M2s last year had warned me i would have really appreciated that. all kidding aside though, a lot of us m2s (like me) are doing nothing with the rest of the summer but going out and trying to take full advantage of these last few weeks so if you're in town early and are bored to death and contemplating reading netter to get ahead, i would suggest you get a hold of one of us and come out.

omar

Probably the most important advice I can give new M1s: stay the hell away from this omar guy. He will start you down a path to destruction.

i think chef_nu is adam hart and i must agree with him. however if you hang out with hart he'll lead you down a path of speaking english with a lazy southern drawl. i'de personally prefer the path of destruction.

Hey All,

As the beginning of medical school comes along, I hope everyone is enjoying the last few free days of the summer. I am currently looking for a roommate for some condo renting options. Is anyone still looking for a roommate? Also, I know that a lot of you might be from the Chicago area. Do any of you guys know of someone looking for a roommate. Please let me know. Thanks! See you all in a few weeks.

- Devang

I think d.parikh is looking for a roommate

Hey guys-this is aimed mostly for the California kids, but I was wondering if anyone is going to be driving a uhaul out to Rush from either the San Fran Area or from the Denver area?? I am just driving out in my car and had arranged a friend with a truck to take my mattress. Well that just fell through!!! So if anyone is driving a truck and has some extra space for a mattress, maybe a tv, I would love to talk!!! I can help pay for gas if you can take my stuff. Just message me or you can call me at 925-639-9716.

Thanks!

Nicole

been to four different places...looks like I'll HAVE to spend the 400+ for the immunizations. so here goes my mastercard...:mad:

Wait till you get to Rush. I spoke with Jill Porter and she said you can definitely wait till then. The only drawback to waiting is that Rush is going to give bookstore credit to those who have completed everything. So you will be out of luck for that but according to her, the credit won't be anywhere close to what you'll be spending on the immunizations.

been to four different places...looks like I'll HAVE to spend the 400+ for the immunizations. so here goes my mastercard...:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait till you get to Rush. I spoke with Jill Porter and she said you can definitely wait till then. The only drawback to waiting is that Rush is going to give bookstore credit to those who have completed everything. So you will be out of luck for that but according to her, the credit won't be anywhere close to what you'll be spending on the immunizations.

Thanks jrock. I mailed Jill Porter a few days back on this and didn't get a reply. Also the welcome packet said they needed to have it by the 24th. I guess "some rules can be bent"! Anyways, that's great news (for my credit, especially!) Cheers and see you at the orientation! Thanks again.

Hey,
So how exactly are we expected to dress on the first day of orientation? Does it matter at all? I'm just curious if med school is going to be a lot like college in that people just show up to 9am class in sweats on a winter day.

Hope that everyone is having a good summer and I'm excited to meet everybody.

Mark Lazarus

Stupid question, I'm planning my commute, and seeing as my apartment is really close to Damen in Wicker Park, I'm looking to take the number 50 bus to Damen and Harrison, and walk the rest of the way. Now, I know some of the areas around the Hospital can be kinda rough, so I want to know if this commute will take me thru Stabsville. Am I good to go? Thanks!

P.S. I'm really excited, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Mark, I remember reading somewhere that it is mostly casual throughout orientation but considering that most of the ppl are going to ignore that (myself included), I'm just dressing up in dress shirt and pants.

ArgaWagra, it doesn't seem too bad. After three years of commuting from near O'hare to NU, I don't know why anyone would want to take the CTA.

Hey,
So how exactly are we expected to dress on the first day of orientation? Does it matter at all? I'm just curious if med school is going to be a lot like college in that people just show up to 9am class in sweats on a winter day.

Mark Lazarus

Hey,

Mark Lazarus

You need to wear a suit for orientation. no exceptions.

During the regular school year the guys will need to wear a button down shirt and dress pants to class, preferably khakis (but black ones will do). Casual/fun dress days will be designated on the schedules that will be distributed on the first day of class. Usually, one day out of the week ends up being a casual dress day where you can wear a t-shirt and sweat pants etc. Shorts are strictly prohibited, however! Also flip flops, hats, bandanas, and extravagant piercings/fragrances are frowned upon. So keep that in mind.

Moreover, different rules apply when it is raining outside or the temperature is below zero. A sheet explaining the various dress codes related to temperature and weather will be handed out your second day of orientation. I suggest you take some time out to study it well. The way you dress reflects highly on your character in the eyes of the faculty.

Good Luck
murdah, m2

wait.. you didn't say when we can wear our superhero costume. Don't tell me I've to throw them all away.

During the regular school year the guys will need to wear a button down shirt and dress pants to class, preferably khakis (but black ones will do). Casual/fun dress days will be designated on the schedules that will be distributed on the first day of class. Usually, one day out of the week ends up being a casual dress day where you can wear a t-shirt and sweat pants etc. Shorts are strictly prohibited, however! Also flip flops, hats, bandanas, and extravagant piercings/fragrances are frowned upon. So keep that in mind.

Moreover, different rules apply when it is raining outside or the temperature is below zero. A sheet explaining the various dress codes related to temperature and weather will be handed out your second day of orientation. I suggest you take some time out to study it well. The way you dress reflects highly on your character in the eyes of the faculty.

Good Luck
murdah, m2

also, to continue its_murdah's post on dress codes, there is to be no facial hair on any male student during lectures or laboratories. males must also have their hair cut short and conservative. any liberal long or "unkempt hair styles" as they refer to it as is strictly not tolerated. these rules only apply to males though, female facial hair is completely allowed. hope this helps.

omar, M2

Good Luck
murdah, m2

Does that mean the ladies need to wear ankle length skirts as well? And no bare shoulder, I presume?

hey just wondering if any of you have the direct number for Jill Porter's office. I've tried to email her a couple times and haven't gotten a response. Thanks

Has anyone gotten a bill from Rush yet for tuition and such? They seem to take their time with things, but I'm surprised they haven't asked for money yet.

Also, I've moved in and I'm down to hang anytime if people want. I live in an apartment within a block of Center Court. I'm really liking this area.

Why does Rush start so late? All my other friends have started med school already, its unnerving to start so much later.

Has anyone gotten a bill from Rush yet for tuition and such? They seem to take their time with things, but I'm surprised they haven't asked for money yet.

Also, I've moved in and I'm down to hang anytime if people want. I live in an apartment within a block of Center Court. I'm really liking this area.

Why does Rush start so late? All my other friends have started med school already, its unnerving to start so much later.

I don't think you have to worry too much about tuition bill or any other bills from Rush. Your loan money goes directly to Rush and they'll refund the money leftover after tuition+insurance, any student fees (plus rent, if you live at center court). Basically, you'll get your living expenses refunded along with any money for books and supplies.

I think U of C is the only school that starts later than us. Oh well, a little bit longer to enjoy the summer. I don't think I mind it as much. Most of my friends have already taken their first exam. I like to remind them that my classes are about 3 wks away.

Hi all...Is anyone buying a new laptop for school? I was considering buying a tablet pc, but I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions or if it is unnecessary to have a tablet pc. Also if anyone has suggestions on brands (Apple, Dell, HP, etc.)...feel free to let me know :)

Thanks!

mdapp06

Hi all...Is anyone buying a new laptop for school? I was considering buying a tablet pc, but I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions or if it is unnecessary to have a tablet pc. Also if anyone has suggestions on brands (Apple, Dell, HP, etc.)...feel free to let me know :)

Thanks!

mdapp06

as a one-time tablet user, i have this to say: they are heavy and not good enough at handwriting recognition to be worth it. (caveat i was using a two-year-old toshiba and standing up the entire time, which may affect my outlook). if you like to type your notes, just get a laptop.

now, if you have your heart set on a tablet-type model, i would consider the samsung Q1. It is kind of a cross between a tablet and a PDA but it is small, light and runs Windows. having used one of these as well, i can say that it is small, light and you may go blind trying to read icons. however, its handwriting recognition is a little faster than the toshiba's and its totally portable. you can get a stand and mini keyboard to go with it too, and it technically could serve as your only computing device.

in terms of traditional laptops, i am a mac fanatic, but if you don't want to spend lots the IBM thinkpads are nicely sized and have an extremely long battery life.

hope some of that ramble helps

abby

an additional thought: Iihave one (thats 1) extra ticket for the Cubs/Brewers game at Wrigley on August 28th, starting at 19:05. if you are a Cubs fan (logo-ed clothing is not optional) and are in town by then, PM me if you would be interested in going. the lucky first responder gets to accompany me to the game. if others are interested maybe we can all meet up for drinks in Wrigleyville afterward. yay for pre-orientation fun and for the Cubs' shot at the pennant!

Go Cubbies!

abby

one more postscripted thought: anyone in the WickerPark/Bucktown area want a ride to orientation on Sept 5? i can squeeze four more in. let me know.

one more postscripted thought: anyone in the WickerPark/Bucktown area want a ride to orientation on Sept 5? i can squeeze four more in. let me know.

I would be interested in a ride to orientation! I am on Oakley and North, is that near you? If you still have room, PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.

Also, when did you all get your welcome packets...my mail is still being forwarded and I was wondering if I was missing out on any important info in the packet?

I cannot believe school is about to start!

Going along with the carpool idea for orientation, I can pickup anyone living in the N or NW suburbs located reasonably close along the I-94 route. Maybe we can split the cost of parking if it's not free. :D Send me a message if interested.

Going along with the carpool idea for orientation, I can pickup anyone living in the N or NW suburbs located reasonably close along the I-94 route. Maybe we can split the cost of parking if it's not free. :D Send me a message if interested.

Same goes for me. I live near O'hare so I pick ppl up around that area.

Hey all-
I’m moving into Center Court August 31, and want to have as many social gatherings as possible before orientation starts. I definitely don’t know the area well, but figured hitting up Taylor Street is a must before school starts, as well as Lincoln Square and Wicker Park. Before figuring all that out, my roommate and I are having a party on Saturday Sept 1. More details to come. If interested (and I don’t already have your email), PM me. I’ll send out an email early next week w/ more details. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Does anyone have a rough idea of when the Dean's Office Summer Research Program begins and ends? I know it goes for roughly eight weeks, but does it start right after spring quarter finishes? And do M1's often land these spots? Thanks.

The hand writing recog software learns very well and fast...I used the Thinkpad running Vista. It's brilliant. I am just waiting for an excuse to buy one.

I don't know if you guys were there or not, but the RU Caring health fair was a blast. Plus, I got to pitch in with some physicals alongside one of the M4s.

I'm all moved in and i want to hang out!

I've been doing walking neighborhood tours an trying out all the delicious restaurants in Pilsen, but I'm ready to meet some Rush students. They're taking forever hooking up the wi-fi in my apartment, so the best way to get ahold of me is my cell 217-493-1642.

Call me anytime before orientation if anyone wants to get a coffee, do something cultural, hit the bars, or just hang out.

Word,
Bobby Redwood (M1)

Exactly 1 week until orientation...:D Did everyone get the welcome email today?

I'm excited!

mdapp06

Hey Rush-ins (I just thought of that:)

First of all, Abby and I met to watch the Cubbies vanquish the Brewers last night and felt compelled to toast Rush during our victory celebration (we took it as a good omen for the upcoming year)

Second of all, we discovered that hanging out with fellow Rush students is SO fun that it really can't wait until orientation to begin.

Thus the following idea was born:

This Friday at 2pm we will be meeting at North beach for a RUSH SAND BEACH VOLLEYBALL GAME...even if there are only 4 of us it will be a blast! Then, if we're feeling up to it, we can shake out the sand and cruise over to Grant park to catch the outdoor Chicago Jazz Festival.

So M1's-M4's...come play on Friday, because moving in is boring and soon we'll all be pale.

Word,
Bobby (217-493-1642)

My roommate and I would like to invite you to our place this Saturday night for a get together. I sent out an email with more info, so if you would like it, PM me your address. Thanks, and see you guys Saturday.

In response to sand volleyball, I have to take a raincheck, as I'm moving in Friday, but it sounds awesome. Go Cubbies.

To echo Bobby's post: hanging out with Rush kids is way fun.

If you are around, please come play volleyball with us this Friday. The weather here gets bad fast, so come and enjoy it while you can!

Hope to see you there.

abby (217-899-1033)

Just curious, who here is living somewhere a good ways from Rush, like Rogers Park? Gonna be a fun commute :thumbup:

Rush Volleyball, sounds like fun. I live in the south loop (that's about 5 minutes from Rush) and I will be driving to North Ave beach, so if anyone wants to catch a ride with me I can fit 3 people, or 4 if you are all feeling friendly. Give me a call if you are interested, or if you just to hang out some other time.

Cynthia (847-477-0747)

Just curious, who here is living somewhere a good ways from Rush, like Rogers Park? Gonna be a fun commute :thumbup:

I am living in Oak Park, just off of the Green line. I figure it is a good 25 minute commute, but nothing I am not used to coming from L.A. See you guys next week!

Volleyball roll call:

Abby
Bobby
Cynthia
Christina

Others?

Gimme a call or just show up at North Ave Beach and shout our names maniacally until you either find us or get kicked out:)

B

This is a copy of the email I sent out to the list Dave had. Apparently, that was not good coverage, so hopefully the rest of you will see it in time.

hey everyone

i hope you all had a good labor day weekend. as promised saturday night, you are all invited to my place for a cookout today, tuesday septemeber 4, at 2. i am going to costco to get some hot dogs and buns, as well as some potato or macaroni salad. i will also supply some pop, but feel free to bring any beer/meat/side dishes that you would like to share.

my address is 1521 Haddon #4D (for you center courters take the #9 Ashland bus, get off at Thomas and walk north one block, then turn right at the fire station. for anyone else go to the blue line division stop and walk south down ashland one block. again, turn at the fire station) ring the buzzer in the front #404 or call my cell 217-899-1033.

pass this on to anyone who hasn't received it yet. hope to see you all today

abby

Hey class,

I see its been a year since anyone checked this thread; THEREFORE, I am offering a free beer (or french fries:) at Moretti's to the next person who checks this thread!!!

It is your reward for being a fellow procrastinator and scholar of the mundane.

I await your posts...even if it takes another year,
Bobby