Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Dr. Dorian, adding pictures is a fun idea.
This is me... It's nice to meet all of you. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• eqmd2011.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 285
Hey everyone, count me in as well! I'm really looking forward to starting at Rush, I really loved it when I interviewed. Didn't make it out to second look, had a paper due that I wanted to get just right, but I'm looking forward to attending!

P.S. I've been away from SDN for quite a while, cheers to everyone!

Edit: I'm looking at living in Wicker Park/Bucktown. Pros/Cons? Other recommendations?

My friend lives in Wicker Park right now (she attends Depaul's Law school in the loop) and she loves it. I guess the only downside is the commute.

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering...what is the combined tuition, fees, and mandatory insurance cost for Rush? I looked on the financial aid website, but those numbers are for the 2006-2007 academic year. Also, I wasn't able to attend Second Look and haven't gotten my financial aid package yet (I was just recently accepted to Rush). I read earlier on this thread that the total cost of attendance is 62,000, but I was wondering what the tuition, fees, and insurance part is of that total cost.

My other question is what is the maximum amount that Rush offers for the unsubsidized Federal Stafford? I know the subsidized is 8,500, but is the maximum amount for the unsubsidized Stafford only 30,000?

Thanks for helping me out :)

mdapp06

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, count me in as well! I'm really looking forward to starting at Rush, I really loved it when I interviewed. Didn't make it out to second look, had a paper due that I wanted to get just right, but I'm looking forward to attending!

P.S. I've been away from SDN for quite a while, cheers to everyone!

Edit: I'm looking at living in Wicker Park/Bucktown. Pros/Cons? Other recommendations?

Hello Everyone,

Just found out on Thursday that I am accepted at Rush. Yippee!

Wanted to say to anyone who is considering living in Wicker Park - it is awesome. I have been here for a year and it is a nice environment to come home to and unwind in after a long day. Rent is reasonable and the shops/restaurants/bars are unique and quirky. Also, the side-streets are super quiet and safe, even late at night. Just make sure to look EAST of Western Ave and WEST of Ashland (at least between Division and North).

It took me about 12 min by car to get to my Rush interview at 9am, if that helps anyone with gaging distances. The Ashland bus is (miraculously) one of the more timely routes run by the CTA. The only big issue is if you want to take the train, you have to go all the way into the loop to get back out to the medical district.

Anyway, congrats to the rest of you and I look forward to meeting all of you. Keep posting about any get-togethers over the summer. (May I suggest Looptopia or Taste of Chicago?)

Hello Everyone,

Just found out on Thursday that I am accepted at Rush. Yippee!

Wanted to say to anyone who is considering living in Wicker Park - it is awesome. I have been here for a year and it is a nice environment to come home to and unwind in after a long day. Rent is reasonable and the shops/restaurants/bars are unique and quirky. Also, the side-streets are super quiet and safe, even late at night. Just make sure to look EAST of Western Ave and WEST of Ashland (at least between Division and North).

It took me about 12 min by car to get to my Rush interview at 9am, if that helps anyone with gaging distances. The Ashland bus is (miraculously) one of the more timely routes run by the CTA. The only big issue is if you want to take the train, you have to go all the way into the loop to get back out to the medical district.

Anyway, congrats to the rest of you and I look forward to meeting all of you. Keep posting about any get-togethers over the summer. (May I suggest Looptopia or Taste of Chicago?)

<----- that's me

Look earlier in this post for thoughts on wicker park/bucktown/ukranian village. It is a great area and a quick (and consistent) drive right down Ashland to Rush. Sooo convenient! There are a ton of great restaurants, bars, etc.
I :love: it!

hey folks- haven't posted on this post in a while. for personal reasons i had to withdraw from rush. i hope all of you the best and i hope the newly available spot will be filled well.

signing out,
-ndteej

Hey all-

I thought I would try to organize some sort of get together before orientation (which starts Sept. 4). I was thinking the week before that (Aug.27 - Sept. 2) we could do something. To see who is interested (and to not spam this thread too much), PM me if you are interested, which days would be best for you, any ideas (I was thinking beach, bar hopping, whatever) and your email address (so I can get a hold of everyone easier).

Dave

Here I am next to a space module from my recent trip to D.C. :cool:

Attachments

• jonathan.jpg
    jonathan.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 237
Hi everyone...

I am bumping this thread with a few fun facts: Rush is named after Benjamin Rush, who was the only formally trained physician who signed the Declaration of Independence. George Washington was his first patient. Also, Rush Medical College was chartered on March 2, 1837, two days before Chicago received its city charter.

Feel free to add your own fun facts too :)

mdapp06

Come on people! Only 2 people have PM'ed me that were interested in getting together! PM me your availability anytime the last 2 weeks of August before orientation. I am moving into Center Court Gardens Aug 22,23, or 24. When will everyone be in the area?

Come on people! Only 2 people have PM'ed me that were interested in getting together! PM me your availability anytime the last 2 weeks of August before orientation. I am moving into Center Court Gardens Aug 22,23, or 24. When will everyone be in the area?

I'm up for it. I'll be moving in around Aug 25 but I can meet up anytime.

After extolling the virtues of Wicker Park living, I am here to post a fun opportunity for anyone currently in the Chi-town area.

The South Lake County EMS Region (based in Highland Park) is holding a disaster drill on Friday June 22 in the morning. They are looking for volunteer victims who would get to participate in the whole process from fire-rescue, to ambulance transport, to treatment in the ED. Volunteers are obligated from 7 am to noon.

This is stricly volunteer (no cash) but it can be a fun time, plus you get to see the other (in the field, on the street) side of healthcare.

If anyone is interested or wants more details, shoot me a private message including your email address.

Hope everyone's finals went well!

hi,
I was supposed to travel europe month of august (1-30approximately depending on airfare) and my travel buddy has bailed out on me. Would any of you guys be interested in doing this or already have arranged to travel within these dates? Im not fixed on seeing any particular countries , but to backpack and have fun. PM or something if anyone is interested..or already have plans and dont mind an extra person tagging along

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, my husband and I are seriously considering getting a studio at The Streeter in Streeterville...anyone have any feedback on that place? We're from St. Louis and I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here. Thanks so much. :)

as far as living,

I think that the streeterville/goldcoast/old town areas are the more expensive areas and some pockets aren't very accessible by the L
Another great area (also expensive) is Lincoln Park
Cheaper areas are bucktown/wicker park (more artsy)

Here are some good websites to look at to check out the areas

realtor.com
dreamtown.com
chicago craigslist
chicagoreader.com

just check the map...some people claim locations that they are not in (as said before, try to stay east of western ave.)

Goodluck!

as far as living,

I think that the streeterville/goldcoast/old town areas are the more expensive areas and some pockets aren't very accessible by the L
Another great area (also expensive) is Lincoln Park
Cheaper areas are bucktown/wicker park (more artsy)

Here are some good websites to look at to check out the areas

realtor.com
dreamtown.com
chicago craigslist
chicagoreader.com

just check the map...some people claim locations that they are not in (as said before, try to stay east of western ave.)

Goodluck!

Thanks alot for the advice. I appreciate any help I can get! :)

Hey everyone. I have an honest question. I am just wondering...is anyone else scared? I mean, lately I have really shifted from completely thrilled about getting into medical school to...um...pretty frightened :scared:.

I'm wondering if it's just me (maybe the new school, new city, new everything is getting to me a bit) or if this is a pretty natural thing that's happening to everyone (or most everyone). I'm sure I'll settle down when school starts and everything calms, but for now this apprehension about getting started is growing. What do you guys think?

Hey everyone. I have an honest question. I am just wondering...is anyone else scared? I mean, lately I have really shifted from completely thrilled about getting into medical school to...um...pretty frightened :scared:.

I'm wondering if it's just me (maybe the new school, new city, new everything is getting to me a bit) or if this is a pretty natural thing that's happening to everyone (or most everyone). I'm sure I'll settle down when school starts and everything calms, but for now this apprehension about getting started is growing. What do you guys think?

I'm scared too! I'm feeling apprehensive about all the change that will happen in my life...but I'm sure it will just require some adjustment. I'm not really moving to a new city (technically I kind of am, since I live in the suburbs of Chicago now...but its not like Chicago is completely new to me)...but I still feel scared. I think we will all feel fine once we are past the first few weeks of school.

Where are you moving from?

mdapp06

I'm scared too! I'm feeling apprehensive about all the change that will happen in my life...but I'm sure it will just require some adjustment. I'm not really moving to a new city (technically I kind of am, since I live in the suburbs of Chicago now...but its not like Chicago is completely new to me)...but I still feel scared. I think we will all feel fine once we are past the first few weeks of school.

Where are you moving from?

mdapp06

Oh...you have no idea how relieved you've made me! I feel so much better just knowing that I'm not alone in this. Thank you so much!

I'm moving from a small suburb of St. Louis. Chicago is totally foreign to me. I drove past it once...ha. I am trying to just be really excited about it because I've always dreamed of living there...but a part of me is afraid of such a change. I figure, though, that I will feel better when we all get together and get in the swing of things, just like you said. Thanks so much MDapp06!:oops:

Hi everyone...

I am bumping this thread with a few fun facts: Rush is named after Benjamin Rush, who was the only formally trained physician who signed the Declaration of Independence. George Washington was his first patient. Also, Rush Medical College was chartered on March 2, 1837, two days before Chicago received its city charter.

Feel free to add your own fun facts too :)

mdapp06

Thanks for the interesting info! :D

It's definitely not just you. I'm trying to figure out how I plan on making my brain an enormous sponge come September...

It's definitely not just you. I'm trying to figure out how I plan on making my brain an enormous sponge come September...

Wow...me, too. If I can be brutally honest about myself...I've been imagining that I'm the only incoming student that's worried at all. I've thought, "Maybe everyone else is comfortable and not going to have any problem adjusting at all and I'm the ONLY ONE that's completely worried..."

I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to learn everything I need to learn, too. I'm glad I'm not alone, Dr. D!

I've got a couple of quick questions. Does anyone know what day the white coat ceremony is on? Have they sent details out about this and/or orientation yet?

Also, how long did it take you guys to hear back about Financial Aid once you submitted your FAFSA? Did it come by snail mail or email? I was accepted off the wait list, so I guess some of you might not know since I'm sure the earlier acceptances were sent off in one big batch or something. I'm just getting a little antsy to get all my stuff squared away for Sept. :oops:

I've got a couple of quick questions. Does anyone know what day the white coat ceremony is on? Have they sent details out about this and/or orientation yet?

Also, how long did it take you guys to hear back about Financial Aid once you submitted your FAFSA? Did it come by snail mail or email? I was accepted off the wait list, so I guess some of you might not know since I'm sure the earlier acceptances were sent off in one big batch or something. I'm just getting a little antsy to get all my stuff squared away for Sept. :oops:

I am pretty sure that the white coat ceremony is Friday, September 7th (the Friday of Orientation Week). For financial aid, in addition to the FAFSA you have to complete a separate institutional aid form if you want to be eligible for institutional grants. Here is the link to the financial aid webpage: http://www.rushu.rush.edu/finaid/. If you haven't heard from the financial aid office, I would give them a call.

hope this helps!

mdapp06

I am pretty sure that the white coat ceremony is Friday, September 7th (the Friday of Orientation Week). For financial aid, in addition to the FAFSA you have to complete a separate institutional aid form if you want to be eligible for institutional grants. Here is the link to the financial aid webpage: http://www.rushu.rush.edu/finaid/. If you haven't heard from the financial aid office, I would give them a call.

hope this helps!

mdapp06

Yeah I filled out the Student institutional aid form and the Parent one both online. I did get an email from them earlier this week saying they received my FAFSA and that they needed me to sign a copy of their Credit Policy Statement. I put this in snail mail, but according to that they don't need my signed copy to award my aid, only to disperse it. So anyways, I was just curious about how long it takes. Thanks!

so.. anyone else from California planning on going to Rush?

Hi guys-thought I'd join the thread. I'm 100% going to Rush. I'm Nicole, from San Francisco and am pretty freaking nervous about moving to Chicago. But I think I will love it!!! For the other out of state-ers-when do you plan on moving out? I am not really feeling the university housing situation, but would consider it if that is really where most of the M1's live. Definitely looking for a roommate...what is everyone else doing?

I'll be around most likely-once I figure out where I'm going to live.

Congrats! Welcome to the class!

After I submitted FAFSA, Rush emailed me within a few weeks about what to do. After finalizing the institutional forms and what not (online if I remember correctly), the offer letter was mailed via snail mail to me. I just returned it earlier this week, so I don't know what the next steps are.

Welcome NicSF,

I am not really feeling the Rush housing either, but I have decided to live there for a few reasons I'll share with u if u think it would help. Right now, I have a friend that is an M2 that lives there and she highly recomends it. I wanted to live in the Medical District Apartments, but couldn't bring myself to spen so much money. In addition, the rush apartments come with a free parking spot. I also find it to be safe in that there is security guards on foot patrol 24/7 and that the units are surrounded by wealthy townhomes, a hotel, Rush University, and the expressway. Lastly, I think it is nice that all the tenats are Rush Students. It makes it easy to meet up with friends, get notes and help from people, and to go out on the weekends with in a big Rush group. This is the logic I used to convince myself to try out the Rush apartments for at least my first year. Hope this helps.

JBro

Hey, guys. Looks like this thread is starting to pick up. I just wanted to add that I am also starting to freak out. I am really excited about finally starting med school, but it is pretty daunting. Also I'm moving from Los Angeles, and I'm still not entirely sure how that is going to go. I'm planning on moving out there in mid-August. Anyway, you guys better be really cool, because I have to spend the next four years with you! Ha! Just kidding. Congratulations again, everyone. See you in a couple of months.

Steve

Also, does anyone know if Rush students can get a U-Pass (student pass) for the CTA? I couldn't find info about it on either the CTA's or Rush's website. Or does Rush have a transportation office (again, something not to be found on their website, hmmm).

Also, does anyone know if Rush students can get a U-Pass (student pass) for the CTA? I couldn't find info about it on either the CTA's or Rush's website. Or does Rush have a transportation office (again, something not to be found on their website, hmmm).

Regarding CTA U-pass I'm almost sure that Rush does participate in the U-pass program. The CTA website somewhere has all the universities listed and Rush is not on that list. I've also asked someone during the 2nd look weekend and they denied it too.

To the rest, its good to be nervous as it will keep you on your toes but don't freat out too much. As you go through it, you'll adjust. Last year, I went through a post-bac program which was mostly composed of M1 courses and everyone I knew adjusted to it as they went through the program. As long as you keep on top of the materials and not procastinating til the exam comes, you all should be ok.

J

Welcome NicSF,

I am not really feeling the Rush housing either, but I have decided to live there for a few reasons I'll share with u if u think it would help. Right now, I have a friend that is an M2 that lives there and she highly recomends it. I wanted to live in the Medical District Apartments, but couldn't bring myself to spen so much money. In addition, the rush apartments come with a free parking spot. I also find it to be safe in that there is security guards on foot patrol 24/7 and that the units are surrounded by wealthy townhomes, a hotel, Rush University, and the expressway. Lastly, I think it is nice that all the tenats are Rush Students. It makes it easy to meet up with friends, get notes and help from people, and to go out on the weekends with in a big Rush group. This is the logic I used to convince myself to try out the Rush apartments for at least my first year. Hope this helps.

JBro

Couldn't agree more. I probably will not live there M2 onwards, but for the first year I think it'll be a good way to meet other students (walk over, grab a beer, etc. etc.). To be honest, a big selling point for me was the small open courtyards, as I imagined they would be a great place for random cornhole games. :)

Regarding CTA U-pass I'm almost sure that Rush does participate in the U-pass program. The CTA website somewhere has all the universities listed and Rush is not on that list. I've also asked someone during the 2nd look weekend and they denied it too.

To the rest, its good to be nervous as it will keep you on your toes but don't freat out too much. As you go through it, you'll adjust. Last year, I went through a post-bac program which was mostly composed of M1 courses and everyone I knew adjusted to it as they went through the program. As long as you keep on top of the materials and not procastinating til the exam comes, you all should be ok.

J

Thanks for the encouragement!

Hey guys! I have 3 schools to choose from and have been leaning heavily toward Rush. Just to make sure I'm chosing the right place, I found several current Rush med students on facebook and wrote them to ask them what they thought of Rush. I basically told them that I have been really nervous about med school lately and I asked them if they would choose Rush again if they could go back and do it all over. Here are some quotes from what they had to say in response to my question:

"Hands down rush is the best decision I made. I was accepted to Loyola UIC and Rush and I know we are the happiest students." --Rush med student, Class of 2010

"...so would I choose Rush again if I had a choice--yes! There is so much potential in this place!" --Rush med student, Class of 2009

"Without question, absolutely, I love it here. When I applied to medical school, at least initially, I never saw myself going to Rush; however, I had a wonderful experience here both during my interview and during second look day. After additional research - and a lot of soul searching - I made my choice, and I've been happy here ever since. The facilities are great (and improving), all of the faculty that I've had so far seem very student oriented, and the physicians that work here are more than accomodating and want to teach medical students. I've also made a ton of really good friends here. I'm pretty partial, and I can only speak for Rush, but I think we're the best....plus you really can't beat Chicago, especially in the summer!" --Rush med student, class of 2010

"I would choose Rush again. Why are you terrified? I remember being pretty nervous last year but med school is NOT as hard as I thought it would be. Plus, during first year we got tutoring in many of the subjects and that really helped me." --Rush med student, Class of 2009

"Really, do NOT freak out. You remind me of myself last year. I was scared of going to med school cuz i thought that I'd either flunk out or have no life at all because i'll spend night and day studying. SO not true. If the school accepted you, that means you are already up to their standards and are likely to succeed. So don't worry. :)"

So, those are some quotes I got back from current Rush students. I really don't think they'd have any reason not to tell me the truth, so I am very comforted by their words. I know most of you guys on here have already made up your minds and for you, I hope that this solidifies your choice and makes you that much more excited. For everyone who may still be making up your mind, I hope this helps you, too. This is a big decision and I just wanted to share these responses here because they've really encouraged me. I was very, very glad to hear someone say that med school has been easier than they expected!

I hope this helps. :)

Unfortunately, I do not believe Rush participates in the UPass program. Most of the schools that do are either undergrad or vocational (with a few exceptions). However, you can purchase a Chicago Card or Chicago Card Plus from the CTA. Basically the regular Chicago Card is just like a standard CTA ticket except you get to ride for $0.25 less. You add money when you need it and it subtracts the fare everytime you ride. The Chicago Card Plus gives you an option for unlimited rides during a 30-day period for $75. (You would have to ride about 43 times in one month to really make it worth the money). These cards will get you rides on the EL, CTA buses and Pace buses in the suburbs, but not on the Metra.

Here is a link to the CTA website: http://www.transitchicago.com/

Hope this helps. Also, to add to the testimonials, a friend of mine is just finishing her M1 year at Rush and she absolutely loved it. She says it was not nearly as stressful as undergrad. :)

I hope everyone takes a big breath . . . and relaxes. We are gonna have a kickass year ahead, and everyone will have a blast! Meanwhile, the hard part is over until September, so enjoy your summer!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys...just wondering...do we have a facebook page? I noticed some other schools have a facebook group page for their school and class year, but I couldn't find one for us...

mdapp06:)

I was looking for a facebook group for Rush too! I'll make one up for us. I'll just call it Rush University Medical College... I'll have it up tonight.

Joe

I was looking for a facebook group for Rush too! I'll make one up for us. I'll just call it Rush University Medical College... I'll have it up tonight.

Joe

Hey Joe! Thanks for setting up a facebook page! :)

Erica

*** deleted double post***

SDN posted even though it said it didn't

I was wondering if everyone is planning on having their family attend the white coat ceremony? I guess this is directed more towards those from out of state. Is the ceremony a very big thing? I know my family would attend if I asked them to but I just don't know if it's worth it to shell out the $250+ plane ticket per person to fly them from California plus the cost of hotel and having them take off from school and work. I'm actually leaving the country soon and will be gone till right before school starts, so I need to decide on this by next week but it doesn't seem like they've set a date yet.

So would I be the only person there without my family? Is this something that I should definitely have my family fly over to attend?

I was wondering if everyone is planning on having their family attend the white coat ceremony? .....

So would I be the only person there without my family? Is this something that I should definitely have my family fly over to attend?

Hey, I'm coming from out of state and I'm not planning on having my family attend. I don't have any details about the ceremony but my impression is that it would not be worth the expense. I recall someone somewhre at some point (helpful I know) mentioning that there isn't enough room for all the families to congregate in the ceremony hall (wherever that is) so some have to sit in ANOTHER ROOM and watch it on a TV screen. Someone please either corroborate or correct this if you know. But in any case, I still don't think it's worth the expense, mostly b/c I'm from CA and the financial/time cost for my four family members would be a bit much...

I'll be around most likely-once I figure out where I'm going to live.

Hey folks,I'm a bit nervous too. Definitely about the brain->sponge transformation thats supposed to magically happen (well put by the way DrDorian), but also about just being a student again. I took a year off and am currently working at a pretty cushy lab job. Right now (sorry upperclassmen) 40 hours a week actually feels like quite alot...its a little intimidating to know I may be working 1.5 or twice as much! Still, its nice to read those words of encouragement from the M2-4's. I'm sure we'll all be fine. In terms of hanging out, I'm moving up to Chicago on August 15th (did I already post this...I'm deja-vuing here) and would love to meet up with anyone and everyone. I have no plans for three weeks except to get the apartment together and possibly take a camping trip in Wisconsin somewhere...and of course throw the first class of 2011 bash (my roommate's not moving up till mid-september, so I'm looking forward to an empty house hoo-rah sometime around orientation!) Also, for those looking for housing. I want to put in a shout out for Pilsen (lower west side hispanic neighborhood, one EL stop away from Rush). My friend lives there now and she loves it. The rent is cheaper than most areas (especially those right around Rush) and its pretty happening on 18th street at night. I got an apartment right on 18th and Throop St. and its totally cute with lots of famililes for (literally) half the price of the average 2BR around Taylor St. I'm rambling, but check out Pilsen...it rocks. Alright, the centrifuge is calling. Congrats to those who just got in, I'm really looking forward to meeting eveyone.Bobby

Have any of you guys started working on the Vaccine/serology test paperwork? If in Chicago where did you go to get it done and did your insurance cover it? If it was not covered, how much did you end up paying out of pocket?

Jimmy

Have any of you guys started working on the Vaccine/serology test paperwork? If in Chicago where did you go to get it done and did your insurance cover it? If it was not covered, how much did you end up paying out of pocket?

Jimmy

I'm also working on this now and it's kind of a pain in the ass. I'm not in the city, but I'm trying to get Oc Med at the hospital I work at to cover them. We'll see if this works out. I accidentally got mischarged for the Hep-B titer when I was done with the vaccine sequence and the bill was $106. If I have to pay for an MMR serology plus a Tetanus booster, I'm going to be a little irritated with what it's going to cost. Fortunately I had the Hep-B and Varicella serologies through work already.

Jonathan

Hey folks,I'm a bit nervous too. Definitely about the brain->sponge transformation thats supposed to magically happen (well put by the way DrDorian), but also about just being a student again. I took a year off and am currently working at a pretty cushy lab job. Right now (sorry upperclassmen) 40 hours a week actually feels like quite alot...its a little intimidating to know I may be working 1.5 or twice as much! Still, its nice to read those words of encouragement from the M2-4's. I'm sure we'll all be fine. In terms of hanging out, I'm moving up to Chicago on August 15th (did I already post this...I'm deja-vuing here) and would love to meet up with anyone and everyone. I have no plans for three weeks except to get the apartment together and possibly take a camping trip in Wisconsin somewhere...and of course throw the first class of 2011 bash (my roommate's not moving up till mid-september, so I'm looking forward to an empty house hoo-rah sometime around orientation!) Also, for those looking for housing. I want to put in a shout out for Pilsen (lower west side hispanic neighborhood, one EL stop away from Rush). My friend lives there now and she loves it. The rent is cheaper than most areas (especially those right around Rush) and its pretty happening on 18th street at night. I got an apartment right on 18th and Throop St. and its totally cute with lots of famililes for (literally) half the price of the average 2BR around Taylor St. I'm rambling, but check out Pilsen...it rocks. Alright, the centrifuge is calling. Congrats to those who just got in, I'm really looking forward to meeting eveyone.Bobby

Hey Bobby,

Thanks for the living info. I'm looking forward to meeting you, too! And, don't worry. I'm sure that we'll all adjust quickly to the demands :)eek:) of medical school. The words of our upperclassmen have really calmed me a great deal. I'll definitely check out Pilsen, so thanks for the heads up.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Erica

Hey guys. Regarding the serology requirements: My hep-B vaccine was $55/shot (3 shots total) and the titer was $50. My TB test was $9. My tetanus shot was $6. These were all done at a hospital in St. Louis, so if you're not from Missouri or Southern Illinois, I'm sorry--this probably doesn't help much...:oops:

None of these things were covered by my insurance. I'm still looking for a place that will perform the other tests affordably... Hope this helps someone!

Erica

Hey guys. Regarding the serology requirements: My hep-B vaccine was $55/shot (3 shots total) and the titer was $50. My TB test was $9. My tetanus shot was $6. These were all done at a hospital in St. Louis, so if you're not from Missouri or Southern Illinois, I'm sorry--this probably doesn't help much...:oops:

None of these things were covered by my insurance. I'm still looking for a place that will perform the other tests affordably... Hope this helps someone!

Erica

Thank you. Now I know what to expect. I just didn't want to go somewhere and just say yes to whatever they tell me.

Jimmy

Allright, another (probably stupid) question. How are you all going about selecting a lender for your loans? The comparisons they have on the Rush website seems to indicate Medloans (salliemae) is the cheapest but there's only four banks compared. Just looking around at Chase I found decent loan terms but not sure how to compare that to the rest.

Jimmy

Allright, another (probably stupid) question. How are you all going about selecting a lender for your loans? The comparisons they have on the Rush website seems to indicate Medloans (salliemae) is the cheapest but there's only four banks compared. Just looking around at Chase I found decent loan terms but not sure how to compare that to the rest.

Jimmy

The medloans is newer, but has great rates. Talking with the fin aid committee, they said that a lot of people go with Citibank (as did I). All in all, a lot of them have similar rates.

The medloans is newer, but has great rates. Talking with the fin aid committee, they said that a lot of people go with Citibank (as did I). All in all, a lot of them have similar rates.

The problem I saw with Citibank is that if you pay off your loan early (lets say in 9yrs instead of 10yrs) the six months no payment benefit kinda goes away.
Withouth that, Citibank is much more expensive than the rest.

Jimmy