Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The problem I saw with Citibank is that if you pay off your loan early (lets say in 9yrs instead of 10yrs) the six months no payment benefit kinda goes away.
Withouth that, Citibank is much more expensive than the rest.

Jimmy

Man, these financial aid posts were kind of a reality check. I had somehow managed to totally push the loan thing out of my mind for awhile. Just out of curiosity, is anyone else applying for the National Health Service Corps? The program sounds really cool to me, but every once in awhile a SDN'er really trashes it and then I start second guessing it...

Anyway, I will post whenever I decide which loan company to use...its always nice to know that whatever you're jumping into ($200,000 of debt lets say), someone else is jumping beside you.

Lates,
Bobby

Members don't see this ad.

I went with T.H.E. for my loans (if anyone's interested). I was attracted to 1) Their rates 2) Their customer service boasting 3) The fact that they don't penalize you for missing a payment 4) That they're not for profitThats all I've got,Bobby

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I really need to get into contact with Jill Porter at Rush. Does anyone know her email? If so, could you post it for me? Thank you so much!

Erica

I went with T.H.E. as well, mostly because I know I'll eventually miss a payment, if only because of some oversight, and I don't want to lose my benefits because of that. Chances of me making every payment on time and getting all of the benefits through Sallie Mae (Medloans) = slim to none.

I imagine some people are still looking for housing. There are tons of places for rent around Rush, mostly 2+ bedroom apartments though. I found a nice 2 room place within a few blocks of Rush on a really quiet street. Just had to get down there with my mom and gf in the minivan and make them write down the miniscule phone numbers of all the places for rent while I rolled down the block in the minivan, looking menacing. It was worth it though, as some of the apartments I looked at were true crap, and it took several viewings to wade through those.

2 comments about the places for rent near rush:
1. Phone numbers are way too small, you invariably have to get out of your car to write them down.
2. Put some info on your listings! I called a TON of numbers only to find they were really expensive, 3 bedrooms, etc. It would have saved all of us time to just put that info on the For Rent sign.
/Rant over

At first, I actually signed up for Medloans (salliemae) until I realized I made a mistake and cancelled it. Now I'm debating between T.H.E. and Chase. Lets see how it works out. I spoke with a Fin Aid counsellor and he wasn't too much of help but did say to compare the banks by what percent of students actually get the benefits in the end. With that in mind, T.H.E. seems to be the best although I don't have any info on Chase except for what is on their website.

Thanks for your help guys.

I went with T.H.E. as well, mostly because I know I'll eventually miss a payment, if only because of some oversight, and I don't want to lose my benefits because of that. Chances of me making every payment on time and getting all of the benefits through Sallie Mae (Medloans) = slim to none.

I imagine some people are still looking for housing. There are tons of places for rent around Rush, mostly 2+ bedroom apartments though. I found a nice 2 room place within a few blocks of Rush on a really quiet street. Just had to get down there with my mom and gf in the minivan and make them write down the miniscule phone numbers of all the places for rent while I rolled down the block in the minivan, looking menacing. It was worth it though, as some of the apartments I looked at were true crap, and it took several viewings to wade through those.

2 comments about the places for rent near rush:
1. Phone numbers are way too small, you invariably have to get out of your car to write them down.
2. Put some info on your listings! I called a TON of numbers only to find they were really expensive, 3 bedrooms, etc. It would have saved all of us time to just put that info on the For Rent sign.
/Rant over

hey everyone, I'm new to this thread but I'll be attending Rush in the fall as well. I'm 21 just graduated from college, and I'm an out of stater from San Fran so I'm def. new to the city. Since I wont be getting into Chicago till August I was wondering if I could get some housing tips before I settle on a place.
I researched the area a lil bit and while Bucktown, Pilsen, and Ukranian Village seem like good choices, i dont have a car and they're about 2-3 miles away. Do you guys have any other recommendations that are about a 10 -15 min walk from campus? Otherwise the default'll be a studio in student housing which seems quite a bit more expensive than comparable places esp since its a single

Also, a lot of the other places I looked at were 2+bedrooms so for you people who are living off campus did you use the Rush roommate surveys (or something like roommates.com) to find a roommate or are you rooming with family/friends or other non-Rush people? Any help is much appreciated and I can't wait till we all get together in the fall.

hey everyone, I'm new to this thread but I'll be attending Rush in the fall as well. I'm 21 just graduated from college, and I'm an out of stater from San Fran so I'm def. new to the city. Since I wont be getting into Chicago till August I was wondering if I could get some housing tips before I settle on a place.
I researched the area a lil bit and while Bucktown, Pilsen, and Ukranian Village seem like good choices, i dont have a car and they're about 2-3 miles away. Do you guys have any other recommendations that are about a 10 -15 min walk from campus? Otherwise the default'll be a studio in student housing which seems quite a bit more expensive than comparable places esp since its a single

Also, a lot of the other places I looked at were 2+bedrooms so for you people who are living off campus did you use the Rush roommate surveys (or something like roommates.com) to find a roommate or are you rooming with family/friends or other non-Rush people? Any help is much appreciated and I can't wait till we all get together in the fall.

Congrats on choosing Rush/Chicago Dazed! For roommates, I'd try craigslist.org...there are a lot of postings for Chicago. In terms of distance, the EL train is really the way people get around in Chicago. Rush is right on the blue/pink line, so its definitely worth looking around for places that are only a few blocks from a Blue/Pink line station and only a few EL stops from Rush. The blue/pink run straight downtown and to OHare as well, so that will be useful in terms of having a social life (if that exists for med students:) and travelling back home. Also, when theres not a foot of snow on the streets, its ridiculously easy to bike around Chicago (flat as a pancake, very different from SanFran). Hope that helps. Bobby

Hey guys...I just had an encounter with a pretty incompetent doctor. I went to my doctor's office to get the immunization form filled out, and she didn't even understand the form. She kept asking me questions about the specific tests and if I need them or not, if I am immune, etc. I was thinking to myself "why can't you just look in my records? I have come to your office before!" And plus, she has all my records from my pediatrician as well. She even thought that I needed one of the tests listed on the form which I in fact don't need. I had to read the form to her in the doctor's office and explain to her what it is saying and why I didn't need that specific test. Seriously. I just ended up really irritated in the end. To top it all off, I gave her the form at least a week in advance for her to read it and let me know if she needed any more information before I came into her office.

Maybe it is just me...but I would expect that a doctor wouldn't have to ask the patient to explain immunizations, titers, and serology results.

Sorry to vent...I'm just pretty annoyed at the experience :(

Wow...I hope my post didn't put a damper on the thread...sorry!

Anyways...a little more than 2 months left until school starts! I'm getting excited (and a bit nervous to start school again) :)

mdapp06

Hello Everyone,

So I sent an email to Dr. Pripstein of Lifetime Medical Associates asking for some clarification on these immunization requirements. He said that anyone in the Chicago area could come to the Lifetime Medical Associates office and have blood drawn and tested for a fee. (This eliminates the middle man and confusion over paperwork, since they created the form and they ultimately need the info). The do accept insurance to pay for this, although I am not sure if many insurance companies cover it.

Also, and here is the secret part, he said that if you wait until AFTER you matriculate, you can come to the Lifetime Medical Associates office and get everything done for $20!!!!!!!!!!!! While they "do not encourage students to wait until after matriculation" it can be done and it is a whole ton cheaper.

Not sure which option I am going to go with, but I wanted to let everyone out there know what was up (and maybe avoid MDapp06's headache at the doctors office:laugh:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

So I sent an email to Dr. Pripstein of Lifetime Medical Associates asking for some clarification on these immunization requirements. He said that anyone in the Chicago area could come to the Lifetime Medical Associates office and have blood drawn and tested for a fee. (This eliminates the middle man and confusion over paperwork, since they created the form and they ultimately need the info). The do accept insurance to pay for this, although I am not sure if many insurance companies cover it.

Also, and here is the secret part, he said that if you wait until AFTER you matriculate, you can come to the Lifetime Medical Associates office and get everything done for $20!!!!!!!!!!!! While they "do not encourage students to wait until after matriculation" it can be done and it is a whole ton cheaper.

Not sure which option I am going to go with, but I wanted to let everyone out there know what was up (and maybe avoid MDapp06's headache at the doctors office:laugh:)

Wow--thanks for the info alb759! If I had known that I could have waited until after matriculation, I could have saved a whole lot of hassle and money! :)

mdapp06

Hey guys. I sent in an email to Jill Porter on Wednesday...haven't received a reply yet. Anyone know if she's on break? I don't want to be impatient, at the same time, I am getting a little restless.

Any info would help!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hey guys. I sent in an email to Jill Porter on Wednesday...haven't received a reply yet. Anyone know if she's on break? I don't want to be impatient, at the same time, I am getting a little restless.

Any info would help!

Thanks! :thumbup:

I think Jill works part-time (some days she is in the office, other days she is at home). You might be able to call the office and get ahold of her or someone else who can answer your question...

mdapp06

yeah, I sent her an email about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I'm definitely going to email her again.

J

I think Jill works part-time (some days she is in the office, other days she is at home). You might be able to call the office and get ahold of her or someone else who can answer your question...

mdapp06

yeah, I sent her an email about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I'm definitely going to email her again.

J

So I dropped by the admissions office (Yeah, I stalk my admissions office staff :D) yesterday. Jill Porter was not in the office since Wednesday of last week. She got in yesterday though and replied to my mail.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Hi All...I just wanted to check if anyone has received mailings from Rush lately? I haven't received anything since I got my financial aid award. No info on books, orientation, classes, etc...

I wanted to make sure I'm not the only one waiting around to get more info from Rush :)

mdapp06

Hi All...I just wanted to check if anyone has received mailings from Rush lately? I haven't received anything since I got my financial aid award. No info on books, orientation, classes, etc...

I wanted to make sure I'm not the only one waiting around to get more info from Rush :)

mdapp06

Awhile back I talked to Jill on the phone, and in regards to...

books, she said that people usually buy books recommended from M2's or professors; there isn't really a "required" book list. Also, each year at the beginning AMSA has a huge used book sale.

orientation, we get all of the billing and what not figured out...didn't really get any info on this...

classes, um...well...nothing again...

I don't think that was helpful, but the general message was enjoy your summer before orientation starts.

Does anyone know specifically how the deal with the UIC gym works? I'm finding conflicting info on this, and didn't make it to second look. Do we have to pay the affiliate rate ($450) and then get reimbursed some portion of that by rush? There's a Cardinal fitness close to rush and those are $20 a month...looks like I might be going there instead if the UIC gym ends up costing a lot more.

Here's the website to the new UIC facility.

http://screc.ops.uic.edu/rec/index.htm

From what I remember, I think we are refunded $150 of the $450 that we have to pay. I did not know there was any other ones close by but the UIC facility does seem pretty nice.

Does anyone know specifically how the deal with the UIC gym works? I'm finding conflicting info on this, and didn't make it to second look. Do we have to pay the affiliate rate ($450) and then get reimbursed some portion of that by rush? There's a Cardinal fitness close to rush and those are $20 a month...looks like I might be going there instead if the UIC gym ends up costing a lot more.

That's right, we end up paying $300. But we do not have access to the new and very nice student recreation facility on the UIC east campus. The affiliate membership is only for the sports and fitness center on the west side.

Paco, where did you find a Cardinal Fitness near Rush? I couldn't find one on their website.

Here's the website to the new UIC facility.

http://screc.ops.uic.edu/rec/index.htm

From what I remember, I think we are refunded $150 of the $450 that we have to pay. I did not know there was any other ones close by but the UIC facility does seem pretty nice.

Hey all-

Something my buddy and I found out-

If you graduated from a University of Illinois campus (UIUC, UIC, UIS), then if you sign up to be an alumni ($30/year for UIUC), then you get a discounted rate at the UIC gym for $400. Basically, you're paying $430 for the gym and alumni association membership, versus $450 for just the gym.

Just giving those a heads up...

Hey Guys,

I received a phone call from Dr. Susan Jacob yesterday for an invitation to attend Rush University as part of the Class of 2011. I am stoked and will definitely be attending. I want to thank some people on this thread that I contacted as I waited to hear back. I really wasn't sure if it was going to happen or not but I can't tell you how excited I am to come back home to Chicago and start medical school. I look forward to meeting you all very soon. Let the paperwork nightmare begin!

- Devang

Hey Guys,

I received a phone call from Dr. Susan Jacob yesterday for an invitation to attend Rush University as part of the Class of 2011. I am stoked and will definitely be attending. I want to thank some people on this thread that I contacted as I waited to hear back. I really wasn't sure if it was going to happen or not but I can't tell you how excited I am to come back home to Chicago and start medical school. I look forward to meeting you all very soon. Let the paperwork nightmare begin!

- Devang

Congrats!!

I didn't think med school would be this expensive even before it started! I called Lifetime MA today and got the same info about the testing being a lot cheaper with rush insurance ($20 copay and that's it!). I don't know if I want to wait till after I get my Rush insurance though, to do my immunization testing. Any thoughts on this anyone? What's everyone else doing?

Also, is there any chance of this (the TB, MMR, Hep B, Vc, and Tetanus) costing under 300?

they've got a cardinal fitness about a mile from rush at their west loop location: 1301 W. Madison Street

That's right, we end up paying $300. But we do not have access to the new and very nice student recreation facility on the UIC east campus. The affiliate membership is only for the sports and fitness center on the west side.

Paco, where did you find a Cardinal Fitness near Rush? I couldn't find one on their website.

I didn't think med school would be this expensive even before it started! I called Lifetime MA today and got the same info about the testing being a lot cheaper with rush insurance ($20 copay and that's it!). I don't know if I want to wait till after I get my Rush insurance though, to do my immunization testing. Any thoughts on this anyone? What's everyone else doing?

Also, is there any chance of this (the TB, MMR, Hep B, Vc, and Tetanus) costing under 300?

Yo Happy Snake--I would definitely wait. The slight time advantage of getting it done early is not nearly as sweet as the monetary advantage of waiting. I work in a lab, so I was able to skip the bill (a perk for once:), but if I were in your shoes, I would wait for the $20 copay. Word. Bobby. PS: Congrats to d.parihk and welcome to Rush!

I emailed Jill Porter couple weeks ago regarding the immunization questions. I asked her if we can wait until matriculation to get those forms filled out or do we have to complete them before we start. She basically told me to wait until they, along with lifetime medical, figure out what incoming students should do. I'll try to remember to post back if I do hear anything. Personally, I am not about to spend close to $500 on something if I don't have to.

by the way, does anyone prefer to meet up sometime soon. I know Mr.Dorian was trying to organize something.

Jimmy

Yo Happy Snake--I would definitely wait. The slight time advantage of getting it done early is not nearly as sweet as the monetary advantage of waiting. I work in a lab, so I was able to skip the bill (a perk for once:), but if I were in your shoes, I would wait for the $20 copay. Word. Bobby. PS: Congrats to d.parihk and welcome to Rush!

Yo Happy Snake--I would definitely wait. ..........wait for the $20 copay.

I emailed Jill Porter ........on something if I don't have to.

by the way, does anyone prefer to meet up sometime soon. I know Mr.Dorian was trying to organize something.

Jimmy

Thanks guys. I guess I won't pawn my iPod and other prized posessions to pay for all this...just yet.:thumbup:

Jimmy

Hey guys-

I know it's been forever, but it's still in the works. My schedule is pretty messed up around move-in time. I am leaning towards something the last week of August though. It'll probably be a casual bbq (if someone has a grill...) or picnic w/ beer and bags (aka cornhole) outside of Center Court, then walking over to Taylor Street bars (need to talk to some managers and see if we can get any deals :cool:). I was also thinking just heading out to north avenue beach, but this would be easier. Any other ideas?

So what's everyone doing?

I downloaded some textbooks. Haven't read any though. Don't think I will, any time soon.

Still waiting for a final fin. aid award letter. Anyone still waiting for this?

Cheers!

So what's everyone doing?

I downloaded some textbooks. Haven't read any though. Don't think I will, any time soon.

Still waiting for a final fin. aid award letter. Anyone still waiting for this?

Cheers!

Totally still waiting about financial aid. They gave me a huge run-around about a month ago, and I haven't heard anything since.

To Devang: congrats on your acceptance! the wait (and anxiety) paid off :)

To everyone else: I will concede and make the first formal offer for a (somewhat sedate) house party one night of the week before orientation. My place is in Wicker Park, so if you all get bored with me, there is plenty of other entertainment :) As to the other ideas (aka bbq and beach) I say we go for those too, cuz we are gonna have limited opportunities for recreation once this thing gets under way. We can make it a week of leisure.

Anyways, shoot me some replys about what day of the week might be better (I was thinking Thursday, August 30, but anything would pretty much be fine). If anyone already in Chi-town wants to get together, before then, that would be cool too.

Totally still waiting about financial aid. They gave me a huge run-around about a month ago, and I haven't heard anything since.

To everyone else: I will concede and make the first formal offer for a (somewhat sedate) house party one night of the week before orientation. My place is in Wicker Park, so if you all get bored with me, there is plenty of other entertainment :) As to the other ideas (aka bbq and beach) I say we go for those too, cuz we are gonna have limited opportunities for recreation once this thing gets under way. We can make it a week of leisure.

Anyways, shoot me some replys about what day of the week might be better (I was thinking Thursday, August 30, but anything would pretty much be fine). If anyone already in Chi-town wants to get together, before then, that would be cool too.

Definitely in for house party, beach, etc. Also, I'm actually a Cubs fan, but I wouldn't mind going to a pre-orientation week Sox game sometime (seeing as we'll be spending alot of time in the West Loop area). Let me know if there's any interest and I'll look into a good (cheap) game date. Bobby. ps: If anyone needs help moving furniture or anything the week before school, just let me know pps: Sorry my entries are always so crowded...my computer is ancient and doesn't want to acknowledge my finger pressing the 'return' button:)

Hi and welcome to Rush!
I'm an M2, and I just thought I'd offer my services to answer any questions you have while you wait this summer. Is it killin' ya yet?? Enjoy the summer while you can!

Just a tip for those of you talking about getting immunizations at LMA... The deal sounds too good to be true: $20 for medical care! It kinda is. The $20 covers a very limited amount of stuff, and chances are, if you're covered under some other insurance now, it's got better coverage. Yes, you would think that people in med school should get better insurance, but it doesn't work that way. The benefits are changing for this fall, but I can report that people in my class were thrown around through a whole mess of paperwork, just to get some things even partly covered. One thing they did do for us was cover titers. We didn't have to pay if all we needed was that, but if your titers came back negative, then you have to pay full price for the inoculation.

Have fun this last month!

Oh, just because Rush physicians are the Sox physicians, doesn't mean you have to change loyalties, or even go to games... :)

Just ask if you have questions!
Patty

I'm in as well. Let me know if I can be of any help. I should be moved in by then so I'll hopefully be closeer to the city by then.

Jimmy

Hey all,

Congrats to the new acceptances! For those currently living in bucktown/wicker park area (in an area you like) could you keep your eyes/ears open for 1-2 bedroom apts in your building or block (or something a friend is moving out of) and PM me if you get a chance with the phone number? I am not from the chicago area and would appreciate any guidance...( maybe we could carpool/ride the train together in the future :p)

And, is anyone else kinda bored yet with all this "summer" time (can't wait to get back into the classroom:rolleyes:)? I recently watched Sicko and it has given me way too much to think about...anyone else seen it (And feel guilty about wanting to learn French)?

Can't wait for all BBQ action to begin!

Did everyone get the Rush Welcome Packet? I can't believe that orientation is only about a month away!

Is anyone thinking of joining the fee-based student groups (there are some fliers in the mailing)?

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer...

mdapp06

Did everyone get the Rush Welcome Packet? I can't believe that orientation is only about a month away!

Is anyone thinking of joining the fee-based student groups (there are some fliers in the mailing)?

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer...

mdapp06

Nothing yet. Still going back and forth with Financial Aid. Hopefully, all that will be settled in the next couple of weeks...I hope. Maybe.

Hi all, I got the official word from Jill that I'm in for the class of 2011! Looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation week! :D

Hi all, I got the official word from Jill that I'm in for the class of 2011! Looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation week! :D

Congratulations! Welcome :)

mdapp06

Wassup Fellow Classmates!

My name is Carl and I'm just saying hi and that I'll be starting in 1 month at Rush, too, and am SO excited about it :D! I very much look forward to these next chapters in my life, as well as using SDN more often to connect with people, especially you guys. I'm almost ready for the summer to end, but that doesn't mean I'm overly anxious to delve into all that studying, but I bet you guys catch my drift, huh :laugh:? To everyone who just got news of acceptance, CONGRATULATIONS, and I can't wait to meet you guys in about 1 month! Is anyone staying in Center Court Gardens?? Also, I know that this may be a weird question, but does anyone know the typical schedule of a typical RMC M1 students (i.e, when does class start each day, etc.) or if it's possible for us to download textbooks anywhere?

Best and Blessings,
Carl

Wassup Fellow Classmates!

My name is Carl and I'm just saying hi and that I'll be starting in 1 month at Rush, too, and am SO excited about it :D! I very much look forward to these next chapters in my life, as well as using SDN more often to connect with people, especially you guys. I'm almost ready for the summer to end, but that doesn't mean I'm overly anxious to delve into all that studying, but I bet you guys catch my drift, huh :laugh:? To everyone who just got news of acceptance, CONGRATULATIONS, and I can't wait to meet you guys in about 1 month! Is anyone staying in Center Court Gardens?? Also, I know that this may be a weird question, but does anyone know the typical schedule of a typical RMC M1 students (i.e, when does class start each day, etc.) or if it's possible for us to download textbooks anywhere?

Best and Blessings,
Carl

Congrats to the new acceptances!

As far as an M1 schedule, at the interview day they showed us a paper that had stuff typically from 9-4. They said sometimes there are half days as they may cancel the morning lectures or afternoon lab. As far as I saw there are no night classes and they guaranteed nothing starting before 9 am. Along those same lines, I think exams are pretty much always held on Fridays. For books, I know the M2s put out a guide for helpful texts, but there is no "required" texts for any class. I think some of the anatomy atlases can be found online, but as to downloading full books for other topics, I don't know what is available. Hope that info helps.

Abby

NICE MAN!!!! I REMEMBER YOU FROM INTERVIEW DAY?!?!

Sorry for the eccentric excitement. Won't happen again. :)

NICE MAN!!!! I REMEMBER YOU FROM INTERVIEW DAY?!?!

Sorry for the eccentric excitement. Won't happen again. :)

Yeah haha, we might have been the only two SDN fanatics at that interview! :D Let me know if you want to chill in Chicago sometime before orientation.