Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
people who got calls, were they acceptance calls?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I have some weird news. I was place on a hold list. It is apparently different than the waitlist. I was told that it means the committee liked your app enough that they would've liked to offer you a seat and that you met the qualifications that they were looking for, however, there are no seats left to offer. I guess that differs from the waitlist in that despite there being seats, you are not offered one initially.

So... I wait again. If anyone else has clarification on this status, or updates let me know. @anaxx what was your status from the phone call, if you don't mind?

Good luck, guys and gals.
@monster11291

Members don't see this ad :)
well... the promising thing with that is that it sounds like when a seat opens up you will be at the top of the list to be given it!
I have met with several students that were pulled off the actual wait list as late as July. So... I have a feeling that it is very likely a seat will be offered to you soon enough ;)

well... the promising thing with that is that it sounds like when a seat opens up you will be at the top of the list to be given it!
I have met with several students that were pulled off the actual wait list as late as July. So... I have a feeling that it is very likely a seat will be offered to you soon enough ;)

Thanks lulumed!

Question for you. If you have not received an interview invite at this point does this mean that interviews are only being given out for the waitlist and then the list is ranked? Since I did not yet get an interview invite, even though I was told I was a "great match for the program" and that Paula was "excited to try to get me an interview" this would probably mean if anything that I would be placed on the bottom of the waitlist correct?

Question for you. If you have not received an interview invite at this point does this mean that interviews are only being given out for the waitlist and then the list is ranked? Since I did not yet get an interview invite, even though I was told I was a "great match for the program" and that Paula was "excited to try to get me an interview" this would probably mean if anything that I would be placed on the bottom of the waitlist correct?

I have no idea. I guess it would be for either the hold, or waitlist, logically. I don't work for, or attend the school, so I can't answer that definitively. I think they are interviewing until the end of April.

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea. I guess it would be for either the hold, or waitlist, logically. I don't work for, or attend the school, so I can't answer that definitively. I think they are interviewing until the end of April.

Yeah I hear you. Just called them and spoke with Erin (still not sure of her role there) who said the class was still 2/3 full and constantly fluctuating. I'm a histotechnologist at a gastroenterology lab in South Jersey. The gastro doc here wrote me an amazing letter. He did his fellowship at Stratford and the Dean was an intern on his first hematology service in 1976. Mentions it. I hope they actually read every application. If I was to be offered an interview, it would be soon I suppose due to my mediocre stats.

Yeah I hear you. Just called them and spoke with Erin (still not sure of her role there) who said the class was still 2/3 full and constantly fluctuating. I'm a histotechnologist at a gastroenterology lab in South Jersey. The gastro doc here wrote me an amazing letter. He did his fellowship at Stratford and the Dean was an intern on his first hematology service in 1976. Mentions it. I hope they actually read every application. If I was to be offered an interview, it would be soon I suppose due to my mediocre stats.

Good luck!

Interviewed 2/13, getting pretty anxious

Hey guys I have some weird news. I was place on a hold list. It is apparently different than the waitlist. I was told that it means the committee liked your app enough that they would've liked to offer you a seat and that you met the qualifications that they were looking for, however, there are no seats left to offer. I guess that differs from the waitlist in that despite there being seats, you are not offered one initially.

So... I wait again. If anyone else has clarification on this status, or updates let me know. @anaxx what was your status from the phone call, if you don't mind?

Unfortunately i was also placed on hold when i first applied in a previous cycle. Since then all i have heard is 'your a good fit we would love to have you keep applying etc' and they never offered me another intv since that cycle despite GPA going up and earning a Masters with a higher GPA. I dont wanna make it sound like a negative, but my exp with the 'hold/alternate list' has not been great =\ I sincerely wish you a better exp with it then i had, but i thought u should know that maybe you should continue to show a strong interest and not get to comfortable. I wish i had but here i am hoping to hear from them

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately i was also placed on hold when i first applied in a previous cycle. Since then all i have heard is 'your a good fit we would love to have you keep applying etc' and they never offered me another intv since that cycle despite GPA going up and earning a Masters with a higher GPA. I dont wanna make it sound like a negative, but my exp with the 'hold/alternate list' has not been great =\ I sincerely wish you a better exp with it then i had, but i thought u should know that maybe you should continue to show a strong interest and not get to comfortable. I wish i had but here i am hoping to hear from them
There is a difference between pre-interview hold, and post-interview hold. I am currently a second year student at SOM and as far as I know there has never been a post-interview hold list before. I'm assuming this unique situation is a result of the extremely high number of applicants this year. Since a large number of students end up being pulled from the actual wait list, being placed on a post-interview hold at this time is as close to a guaranteed acceptance as is possible.

Reactions: 2 users
RowanSOM only requires one deposit of 195 dollars, the lowest among all osteopathic schools. Especially when the average matriculant stats for RowanSOM are just slightly lower than other MD schools in the area and many OOS students might opt to attend another school due to high OOS tuition, there should be big waitlist movement. I am confident that a post-interview hold will very likely become an acceptance.

I hope we see movement this cycle. This wait is pure torture!

Thanks for the input, but as others have pointed out, may I ask, were you on a pre-interview, or post-interview hold?

RowanSOM only requires one deposit of 195 dollars, the lowest among all osteopathic schools. Especially when the average matriculant stats for RowanSOM are just slightly lower than other MD schools in the area and many OOS students might opt to attend another school due to high OOS tuition, there should be big waitlist movement. I am confident that a post-interview hold will very likely become an acceptance.

Two of the students who gave us a tour on the interview day said they were on hold and then got accepted after a few days. They interviewed in March last year. They were told that they were accepted but not officially because no seats were available and that they were on "hold", not waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!! OMG! I literally cried.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!! OMG! I literally cried.

OMG Congrats! When did you interview? I'm trying to gauge when they'll get to March interviewees.

Thanks for the input, but as others have pointed out, may I ask, were you on a pre-interview, or post-interview hold?

Post-interview. I had a late intv and the intv-er seemed to rly like me and he told me outright that if i dont get in this cycle apply again because the class was starting to fill up. Got the 'hold/alternate' letter in the mail about a week or two later but nothing came of it and then not even an intv this time around yet. Its a great school, and I am honestly disappointed not to hear from them again as i had made a point of keeping in touch and talking to Ms. Paula and some others in the office to get some honest input about what they thought i could/should improve to increase my chances but all i ever heard was 'you seem like a rly good fit'. Again im not trying to by any means put down the school (would still call it my top choice dream school) nor am i trying to discourage you in any way, just wanted to tell you to rly try to update them etc as while i did that the following cycle i feel like maybe they felt i wasnt interested enough when they put me on the alternate/hold list that first yr.

Post-interview. I had a late intv and the intv-er seemed to rly like me and he told me outright that if i dont get in this cycle apply again because the class was starting to fill up. Got the 'hold/alternate' letter in the mail about a week or two later but nothing came of it and then not even an intv this time around yet. Its a great school, and I am honestly disappointed not to hear from them again as i had made a point of keeping in touch and talking to Ms. Paula and some others in the office to get some honest input about what they thought i could/should improve to increase my chances but all i ever heard was 'you seem like a rly good fit'. Again im not trying to by any means put down the school (would still call it my top choice dream school) nor am i trying to discourage you in any way, just wanted to tell you to rly try to update them etc as while i did that the following cycle i feel like maybe they felt i wasnt interested enough when they put me on the alternate/hold list that first yr.
Hm this is all very tough to understand. I trust what admissions told me. That is, the hold list is optimal compared to the waitlist; that students would be selected for seats from there prior to the waitlist; and that they did this last year for the first time. While I truly appreciate your concerns, I think perhaps this is a different scenario and I should be optimistic. As I was also called, not notified by letter for this designation. Further, I now have two anecdotal experiences about this. The one provided by you and the one by @brood910. Haha with about 27 more data points I'd be able to make a statistically sound call on this. For now though, I'll remain hopeful and heed any and all advice.

Last edited:
Hm this is all very tough to understand. I trust what admissions told me. That is, the hold list is optimal compared to the waitlist; that students would be selected for seats from there prior to the waitlist; and that they did this last year for the first time. While I truly appreciate your concerns. I think perhaps this is a different scenario and I should be optimistic. As I was also called, not notified by letter for this designation. Further, I now have two anecdotal experiences about this. The one provided by you and the one by @brood910. Haha with about 27 more data points I'd be able to make a statistically sound call on this. For now though, I'll remain hopeful and heed any and all advice.

^^Agreed. I'm looking forward to hearing of your acceptance!

Hm this is all very tough to understand. I trust what admissions told me. That is, the hold list is optimal compared to the waitlist; that students would be selected for seats from there prior to the waitlist; and that they did this last year for the first time. While I truly appreciate your concerns, I think perhaps this is a different scenario and I should be optimistic. As I was also called, not notified by letter for this designation. Further, I now have two anecdotal experiences about this. The one provided by you and the one by @brood910. Haha with about 27 more data points I'd be able to make a statistically sound call on this. For now though, I'll remain hopeful and heed any and all advice.
Definetly stay extermely optimistic!! U received a call so this means they loved U as a candidate!! U probably will definetly have good movement!!

Accepted this morning via phone call!

Interviewed 2/27. OOS with strong IS ties.

Don't give up hope just yet.

Of course you should optimistic, esp since you got a phone call its different from my scenario alrdy. I wish you all the best!

I was also placed on hold. I think we have a very high chance of getting accepted soon so I wouldn't be too worried. Good luck!

anaxx what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Accepted this morning via phone call!

Interviewed 2/27. OOS with strong IS ties.

Don't give up hope just yet.
Hey if u don't mind me asking what were Ur stats? And who did U interview with? U can pm me too...

Accepted Students Day was a blast! A couple of notes for those still interested but either are waiting / couldn't make it:

+ Prematric Starts ≈ Late June, about 50% of last years class did it and most loved it.
+ They don't use standard microscopes for histo! Which is a relief for those like myself who get terrible headaches from them.
- Unfortunately they did not tour us to Kennedy hospital.
+ Very tight knit class. Top of the line for DO's. One faculty described R-SOM as 'a big fish in a little pond' and making connections with North/Central hospitals is easy 'because they all have our alumni on their staff'
+ Very Jersey oriented but with 4th year possibilities for expansion to Philly, etc. Hospitals agreements northbound include Jersey Shore, Christ of JC, Overlook and Morristown among others.
-/+ For those interested in trauma/ER/burns; Some of the bigger hospitals are not represented a la Newark/NB/St. Barnabas. But Cooper of Camden is.
- Doesn't seem to be a ton of in house scholarship money. They gave out ≈ 125K last year according to the presentation. For comparisons sake, the average class is ≈ 160 for an approximate total of 640.
+ Financial Aid staff is top notch, and send out emails super frequently about external scholarship opportunities according to students
+ Anatomy Lab is pretty run of the mill, which is a big plus considering how bad anatomy labs can get. No windows unfortunately, but it is not in a dungeon.
+ OMM room is gawgeous!
+ Area is safe, compact and seems like a friendly place.
+/- For those used to large places (a la Rutgers NB students) there could be a learning curve. When I say it is compact, I mean it.
+ One nice thing about that is that the staff is just as nice as could be :)
+ For a DO school, research is very accessible.

Final thoughts:

IF you are gung ho, D.O., this is THE place to be. If you are on the fence between the pathics; Rowan puts their best foot forward and can go punch for punch with a large number of MD schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
For anyone set on going to RowanU, how are you guys finding housing and/or roommates? Also, is there a facebook group set for the Rowan University Class of 2019?

Accepted Students Day was a blast! A couple of notes for those still interested but either are waiting / couldn't make it:

+ Prematric Starts ≈ 6/27, about 50% of last years class did it and most loved it.
+ They don't use standard microscopes for histo! Which is a relief for those like myself who get terrible headaches from them.
+ Very tight knit class. Top of the line for DO's. One faculty described R-SOM as 'a big fish in a little pond' and making connections with North/Central hospitals is easy 'because they all have our alumni on their staff'
+ Very Jersey oriented but with 4th year possibilities for expansion to Philly, etc. Hospitals agreements northbound include Jersey Shore, Christ of JC, Overlook and Morristown among others.
-/+ For those interested in trauma/ER/burns; Some of the bigger hospitals are not represented a la Newark/NB/St. Barnabas. But Cooper of Camden is.
- Doesn't seem to be a ton of in house scholarship money. They gave out ≈ 125K last year according to the presentation. For comparisons sake, the average class is ≈ 160 for an approximate total of 640.
+ Financial Aid staff is top notch, and send out emails super frequently about external scholarship opportunities according to students
+ Anatomy Lab is pretty run of the mill, which is a big plus considering how bad anatomy labs can get. No windows unfortunately, but it is not in a dungeon.
+ OMM room is gawgeous!
+/- For those used to large places (a la Rutgers NB students) there could be a learning curve. When I say it is compact, I mean it.

Final thoughts:

IF you are gung ho, D.O., this is THE place to be. If you are on the fence between the pathics; Rowan puts their best foot forward and can go punch for punch with a large number of MD schools.

WOW! Excellent post. I can't thank you enough for this. I am an OOSer who could not make it. I'm glad i made the decision to attend. This is arguably the best school in the nation. Again thanks for the post. Super helpful!

+ Prematric Starts ≈ 6/27, about 50% of last years class did it and most loved it.
+ OMM room is gawgeous!

Final thoughts:

Congratulations on your acceptance! Glad you liked what you saw, and appreciate all the information you keep posting! :)

Guys,

If I haven't heard anything after my secondary application has been completed (and it has been a month and a half) , would it be safe to assume that they won't get back to me and I shouldn't even think about getting in this cycle (Rowan). Congratulations to all that have got in and best of luck to you on hold/i'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you to get accepted.

Guys,

If I haven't heard anything after my secondary application has been completed (and it has been a month and a half) , would it be safe to assume that they won't get back to me and I shouldn't even think about getting in this cycle (Rowan). Congratulations to all that have got in and best of luck to you on hold/i'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you to get accepted.

While there is still hope. I would start making alternative plans ATM. Look into postbacc programs. I believe Rowan has one. Also check out postbacc's with strong linkage agreements. Goodluck!

+ OMM room is gawgeous!

Final thoughts:

Just to clarify, did they change the pre-matriculation start date? I am currently registered for the program, and the schedule sent by the coordinator indicated the start date as June 22nd.

While there is still hope. I would start making alternative plans ATM. Look into postbacc programs. I believe Rowan has one. Also check out postbacc's with strong linkage agreements. Goodluck!
I did my postbacc already, I just applied very very late .

Do you get the rejection mail right away after interview if you are rejected? I interviewed two weeks ago, and I have heard nothing so far..

Just to clarify, did they change the pre-matriculation start date? I am currently registered for the program, and the schedule sent by the coordinator indicated the start date as June 22nd.

You're probably right. I ballparked it. Editing to say Late June instead.

What do you mean by the above?
Rowan SOM is approx 16 acres, 25 with Kennedy Hosptital. Those used to larger campuses, like Rutgers, and its 2,688 acre New Brunswick campus, it could take a little getting used to in the beginning. More of a fun fact than anything important though.

With enormous hesitation I am likely withdrawing my acceptance here. Hope the seat makes someone ecstatic :)

Reactions: 4 users