Rotation Dress Codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
radiologygirl said:
Question- as far as blouses and shirts are concerned for women...do they have to be tucked in? And do they all have to be button down?
A lot of the shirts and tops that i am seeing just about make it below the waist but can look scruffy if tucked in.

It can be difficult to find appropriate work wear these days since all the tops are short - one reach up to turn off a patient's overhead light and you're exposing your belly! :eek:

I suggest shopping in more conservative stores for tops (ie, Talbots, Ann Taylor, etc.) or in the women's department (rather than juniors) in department stores. They tend to have longer tops.

That said, tops do not have to be tucked in, especially if they are designed to be worn out (I have several of the 3/4 sleeve length, princess seamed blouses which I wear out), nor do they have to be button up. As I mentioned before, I wear a lot of cardigan and shell ensembles or silk t-shirts. If you are covered, they are appropriate and for large busted women, may be easier to wear without risk of popping a button.

Members don't see this ad.

double elle said:
Let me just say that the uncomfortable-ness you guys experience by wearing a tie is trade-off...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather wear a tie than a tampon any day.

JudoKing01 said:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather wear a tie than a tampon any day.

Well, I've worn both and believe me, the tie is the loser in this comparison (ie, you don't feel a tampon if you've got it in right) but if you like I'm sure you can find someone to demonstrate on you! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ribsandbbqbeef said:
I say forget about all the clothes. We should all wear scrubs for every specialty. No ironing required, no heartache if we stain them with blood, doesn't look provocative, looks the role of a doc. Yee ha !

AMEN!
i second that wholeheartedly :)

And trust me - girls shoes are REALLY uncomfortable:( (even ones that are meant to be comfortable)
And our pants dont come in lots of different lengths and waists like guys... it's tuff to find a pair that fits well and looks good and is comfy. or you have to pay up the butt to get them tailored...:(

And, it's confusing as to what IS appropriate.
at our school, i havent seen anyone who wears skimpy clothes to work...
but as someone who's starting m3 year, i find shopping is tuff - i have NO clue what's appropriate or not... and, you have to try to not look too young (or your patients will wonder why a high schooler is taking care of them), or like an old lady...

Too bad there's not a handbook out there: "BRS Fashion" :p that would be great:)

jennie 21 said:
The one problem I find with dress shirts is that they tend to pull and gap a little in the front because I'm busty, which can be a problem. It's hard to find shirts that are well-tailored especially if you're large-busted.
try the stretch 3/4 length ones at NY & company (lerner). they are reasonably priced if you get them on a 2/whatever sale, very comfy and easy to care for, and fit nicely even for larger boobies :)

MSIII-IV Female Professional Uniform: Time commitment: 20 min incl. shower
1. Shirt: Ann Taylor/Express/Lerner collared button up shirt, full or 3/4 length sleeves. No visible cleavage, but its ok to leave top button undone.
2. Slacks from a store above, solid or pinstripe, some conservative color but not white. Not capri length. Get them hemmed if they touch the floor at your heel. It costs $8.
3. Belt, brown or black. Silver or gold buckle.
4. Socks: Thin, solid color OR brown/black/nude graduated compression hose
5. Shoes: Polished appearance, solid color, matches belt, not open toe.
6. Hair: Clean, natural color (highlights ok) pulled back if you come to work with wet hair or combed if you blow dried it.
7. Makeup: Concealer under eyes, simple eye shadow and mascara. Lip gloss. 5 minutes = pretty enough for the hospital while still feeling good about yourself.
8. Bag: No purses! No backpacks (look like a kid or a pack mule) Get a simple leather shoulder bag, and just carry the essentials - you dont need heavy texts on the wards. If you have a complex question look it up on UpToDate. Just carry one review book for the rotation, a small pharm book, Sanfords ID.

20 minutes to do all that? you must have really short hair :p

i also think you dont need a button up shirt... i found some nice t-shirts at similar stores that arent cotton but like, a silk blend, and they look rather profressional under a white coat:)

also - i've been told that danskos are somewhat unprofessional on wards or in the clinic (ie: they shoudl only be worn with scrubs)... though i dont agree with that and it probably varies by institution... a good alternative are HushPuppies Soft Style shoes:) It's hard to find a pair that doesnt look like old lady shoes, but once in a while they come out with some cute ones:) I got some really cute ones that are close toe/with a back and have a decent heel. Get some dr. scholl's insoles too - they're squishie:)

Ergo said:
MSIII-IV Female Professional Uniform: Time commitment: 20 min incl. shower
1. Shirt: Ann Taylor/Express/Lerner collared button up shirt, full or 3/4 length sleeves. No visible cleavage, but its ok to leave top button undone.
2. Slacks from a store above, solid or pinstripe, some conservative color but not white. Not capri length. Get them hemmed if they touch the floor at your heel. It costs $8.
3. Belt, brown or black. Silver or gold buckle.
4. Socks: Thin, solid color OR brown/black/nude graduated compression hose
5. Shoes: Polished appearance, solid color, matches belt, not open toe.
6. Hair: Clean, natural color (highlights ok) pulled back if you come to work with wet hair or combed if you blow dried it.
7. Makeup: Concealer under eyes, simple eye shadow and mascara. Lip gloss. 5 minutes = pretty enough for the hospital while still feeling good about yourself.
8. Bag: No purses! No backpacks (look like a kid or a pack mule) Get a simple leather shoulder bag, and just carry the essentials - you dont need heavy texts on the wards. If you have a complex question look it up on UpToDate. Just carry one review book for the rotation, a small pharm book, Sanfords ID.

gunit07 said:
also - i've been told that danskos are somewhat unprofessional on wards or in the clinic (ie: they shoudl only be worn with scrubs)... though i dont agree with that and it probably varies by institution.
http://www.dansko.com/images/shoe_single/large_247770202.jpg

we talking about those???

I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me they're unprofessional when the rest of me is put together and I have to be on my feet for that long. I hope I'm confused.

Oh the hilarity of it all.....

Having come from a true professional environment where 'casual fridays'
meant non-suit dress slacks and a nice polo shirt with the division or
corporate logo, it amuses me what some people call 'professional dress'.

While studying for Step I in our school's library, I bumped into a 3rd
year coming off a day in IM about to study for shelf. She was straight
from seeing patients.....

This young lady was wearing a black knee length skirt so tight she could barely walk, no hose, with white, patent leather platform heels. Since the shoes stood out and called attention to her feet, she felt it necessary to have bright pink nail polish with cutesy-poo little daisies (white with yellow centers) done on the nails that were big enough to have it done.

Being ever the fashion plate, she had fake extender nails on each hand.

The top to match the skirt was similarly tight and stretched the buttons over her moderately ample bosom and revealed a peach colored bra underneath.

Hair was appropriately piled on top of the head with large hoop earrings to top it all off.

But obviously it was considered professional as she had on her white coat with appropriately stuffed pockets......

No, I am not kidding.

Alternately, we had one young man who couldn't decide which facial hair style he preferred so he went from a goatee to a pencil line beard that ran around the jaw to a pencil line beard than ran into a fu-manchu like mustache component with no portion around the chin. Depending on mood, either a small stud earring or perhaps, if really feeling doctorish, a large fake diamond stud.

A skin tight baby blue dress shirt with raised vertical lines were paired with a blue and gold striped tie tied by a huge, monkey paw, double windsor knot that caused the tie to end about navel level.

A wide leather belt with silver buckle held up a pair of skin tight, don't bend over or squat down, anatomy revealing pants (caused one or two of the married female students to complain). The entire ensemble was topped of with a pair of thick soled Doc Martens. Since they were patent leather, which made them shiny, they were obviously dress shoes.

I almost spit coffee through my nose when he, as a 3rd year, talked about his 'clinical experience'.......

For the guys - if you haven't had to dress professionally before, you can't be faulted for not knowing....no big deal. Take the time to go to Men's Warehouse and tell them you're on a tight budget but need to dress professionally and tell them why (I'm starting hospital rotations). Buy one outfit and a comfortable pair of dress shoes. Once you have the idea down of what professional dress is all about, go off to your local outlet mall (Haggar stores are great - 2 pairs of dress slacks, 2 dress shirts and some socks and ties for around $75 - the shirts and slacks are interchangeable and now I've got 4 outfits) or JCPenney's or Dillard's/Neiman's outlet stores and stock up. Also, please, please, please, don't wear colored T shirts or white T shirts with logos under your dress shirts. Unless the dress shirts are solid colors and non-see through, you'll look like a clown......

JustPlainBill - Great advice for the guys in that post. :thumbup:

For the women - please, keep practicality in mind.

While studying for Step I in our school's library, I bumped into a 3rd year coming off a day in IM about to study for shelf. She was straight from seeing patients.....

This young lady was wearing a black knee length skirt so tight she could barely walk, no hose, with white, patent leather platform heels. Since the shoes stood out and called attention to her feet, she felt it necessary to have bright pink nail polish with cutesy-poo little daisies (white with yellow centers) done on the nails that were big enough to have it done.

Being ever the fashion plate, she had fake extender nails on each hand.

The top to match the skirt was similarly tight and stretched the buttons over her moderately ample bosom and revealed a peach colored bra underneath.

Hair was appropriately piled on top of the head with large hoop earrings to top it all off.

But obviously it was considered professional as she had on her white coat with appropriately stuffed pockets......

* If you wear short, tight skirts that don't allow you to walk easily, you will have a VERY hard time keeping up with your resident as he walks down to the Emergency Room to do a consult. If you have the wrong kind of resident, it's a very good way of earning yourself a reputation as a slacker.

* NO OPEN TOED SHOES! EVER! Sick patients have a habit of vomiting and urinating wherever and whenever they feel the need to....regardless of whether or not your feet are in the way.

* Fake nail extenders on your fingers....wait until you're asked to do a hernia exam or a breast exam on your IM rotation. That poor patient who is on the receiving end will curse you and your horrible nail extenders. Long nails are gross and really bad for physical exams.

* Large hoop earrings are also bad, particularly for peds, psych, and emergency med. 7 month old kids don't realize that the earrings go THROUGH your earlobe (and people hopped up on PCP don't care) - all they see is something shiny that they want to tug on with great force. :eek:

Aside from being unprofessional, it's just not safe. Just use a little common sense.

* Large hoop earrings are also bad, particularly for peds, psych, and emergency med. 7 month old kids don't realize that the earrings go THROUGH your earlobe (and people hopped up on PCP don't care) - all they see is something shiny that they want to tug on with great force. :eek:

Aside from being unprofessional, it's just not safe. Just use a little common sense.

Similarly, be careful with the type of IDs that hang around your neck....I once was listening to a psych patient's lungs, and he grabbed my ID and pulled me right next to his face, at which point he started screaming something in chinese at me....not cool. From then on, I abondoned my policy of not using/taking drug company stuff, and used one of those little ID clip on things.

Similarly, be careful with the type of IDs that hang around your neck....I once was listening to a psych patient's lungs, and he grabbed my ID and pulled me right next to his face, at which point he started screaming something in chinese at me....not cool. From then on, I abondoned my policy of not using/taking drug company stuff, and used one of those little ID clip on things.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm glad that you're okay after that!

(Guys, I know what you're thinking, though. No, this is not an excuse for not wearing a tie. Either use a tie clip, or wear a bowtie. Either way, though - have to wear a tie. :oops:)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm glad that you're okay after that!

(Guys, I know what you're thinking, though. No, this is not an excuse for not wearing a tie. Either use a tie clip, or wear a bowtie. Either way, though - have to wear a tie. :oops:)

It sure as crap is an excuse not to wear any sort of tie on your psych rotation. All but one of our rotation sites for psych explicitly told students in orientation materials not to wear a tie (even a ridiculous bowtie) for just this reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sure as crap is an excuse not to wear any sort of tie on your psych rotation. All but one of our rotation sites for psych explicitly told students in orientation materials not to wear a tie (even a ridiculous bowtie) for just this reason.

I think that's school dependent though. I'm sorry - it DOES suck, but at our school, I doubt that any of the guys would have gotten away without a tie of some sort. :( I think I remember the issue coming up somewhere on SDN - and I think the consensus was just to wear a tie clip.

And all the male psych attendings and residents wear ties whenever they're not on call. Since they do, the students have no excuse not to.

Must be school dependent. On my psych rotation it was no ties, and no white coats. It was kind of a pain because I couldn't carry anything with me.

Must be school dependent. On my psych rotation it was no ties, and no white coats. It was kind of a pain because I couldn't carry anything with me.

No white coats, no ties on psych here too, same reason.

No ties on Peds because the course director believes they spread infection.

No ties and no white coats on psych here.

Ties optional with white coats recommended (but not mandatory) on inpatient peds.

Ties mandatory with white coats not recommended on outpatient peds.

* Fake nail extenders on your fingers....wait until you're asked to do a hernia exam or a breast exam on your IM rotation. That poor patient who is on the receiving end will curse you and your horrible nail extenders. Long nails are gross and really bad for physical exams.

Might we also consider adding the thought of a prostate check with that? Pretty sure this :)nono:) would be me if i saw her coming at me with those nails

I say forget about all the clothes. We should all wear scrubs for every specialty. No ironing required, no heartache if we stain them with blood, doesn't look provocative, looks the role of a doc. Yee ha !
I agree 100%!

Personalized scrubs--embroidered with the clinician's name/credential, and with or without a lab coat on top--should be the standard attire across all medical specialties and care settings. This manner of dress is neutral, efficient, and, most importantly...far more sanitary and hygienic than our current system.

If I am a patient, I certainly don't want my Infectious Disease doctor examining me while dangling his filthy 20-year-old necktie over my open wound--a necktie which has been dipped repeatedly into god-knows-how-many virulent pathogens over the years--without EVER being washed (let alone properly sterilized!). It's absolutely disgusting when you really think about it.

A clean pair of scrubs is far superior, as they can be easily removed after each shift (ideally, prior to leaving the hospital), and then properly washed before being re-worn for a later shift. I think scrubs are much more professional and appropriate, given the contagious nature of medical work, and the biologically-hazardous environment in which healthcare is routinely practiced.

Plus, no one can deny the fact that we all look invariably hotter in a well-fitting pair of scrubs. ;)

Only in the operating room.

Also in the ICUs. Just started Trauma ICU and am pretty stoked I don't have to wear any form of dress clothes for the next 3 weeks. Unfortunately they recently changed the scrubs at my hospital from a nice shade (IMO) of blue to a pretty sickly green.

Now if only the rotation didn't go from 6am-6pm (too used to psychiatry's 7:30 to 2:30)

Also in the ICUs. Just started Trauma ICU and am pretty stoked I don't have to wear any form of dress clothes for the next 3 weeks. Unfortunately they recently changed the scrubs at my hospital from a nice shade (IMO) of blue to a pretty sickly green.

Now if only the rotation didn't go from 6am-6pm (too used to psychiatry's 7:30 to 2:30)

I was referring to just myself not all rotations. We were only allowed to wear scrubs in residency in the OR, SICU or when on Trauma.

I disagree that dressing identically to a man, minus the tie, means that I am assuming equal responsibility. The idea seems to be that for women to be regarded as professionals, we need to make ourselves look as slightly more feminine versions of men. Who decided that? Who decided that a shirt that buttons down the front is less professional than one that doesn't? Who decided that a flowered skirt was less appropriate than a plain skirt or trouser? Women do not have to adopt men's patterns of dressing in order to insert themselves in professions previously dominated by men. It's not that men are letting us in, as long as we comply with what men are doing. Men decided that a shirt with a tie was a professional look for them. Fair enough. I'm not knocking on the door of the professional world, asking for permission to enter as long as I start looking more like men and what their dress standards dictate. I make my own way, I dress in a manner that pleases me and conforms to the standards of the people who are in authority over me in the workplace.
As long as the organization I am working for decides that I am dressing professionally enough for their standards, and I like what I am wearing, then that is all I am concerned about.
And I don't expect 'less' of women. I disagree that 'different' means 'less'. I have high standards for myself in the way I present myself to patients and colleagues. I don't concern myself with whether or not other people who are not dressed like I am are getting treated as well as I am. That kind of whining, about who is dressing provocatively to get ahead, who has to wear uncomfortable pantyhose, who gets away with not having to wear an uncomfortable tie, etc., is boring and childish in my opinion.
I am a male, and I agree completely with you, Laura, that women's professional attire in the hospital setting need not conform to rigid/traditional/arbitrary standards (i.e., suit skirt + stiff buttoned blouse with a collar + nylons + pumps + makeup. That is unreasonable, antiquated, and impractical within the messy environment(s) where medicine is practiced.

However, I feel strongly that males in the medical profession should also be allowed the same latitude and freedom to wear pragmatic work clothing in which they feel comfortable. For example: tailored trousers + a nice sweater or polo shirt + stylish comfortable footwear (such as a sporty Kenneth Cole bowling shoe).

I think my proposal is not only sensible, logical, and pragmatic, but it would also level the playing field in terms of professional attire for male versus female physicians. What do you guys think?

@Laura: I think his point was that if women can dress professionally without wearing a tie, then why can't men?

I don't think that I would deny there is a double standard, and it's perfectly ok to condone the current practices. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the sticky wicket lies in the notion that patients don't notice when a female doctor arrives in unprofessional dress, or that this doesn't impact the perceived quality of care. You may find it suitable to do surgery followups in a hip tshirt and painted wedges, but perhaps not all of your patients will share your viewpoint. Many patients come from previous generations when fashion and dress code were not quite so flagrant or relaxed.
I take great pains to be culturally-sensitive, and to avoid making judgements about my patients because they are different from me and/or hold different points of view.

If a patient judges me simply because they disapprove of my personal clothing choices (assuming that I am clean/neat, and that my body parts are properly covered), then that is their problem. Definitely not my concern. Ultimately, it is their loss for not giving me the chance to prove my respect for them, and my sincere intent do everything I can to help them.

When Young Doctors Strut Too Much of Their Stuff

By ERIN N. MARCUS, M.D.
Published: November 21, 2006

MIAMI, Nov. 20 — When I was a new faculty physician, I worked with a resident doctor who was smart and energetic and took excellent care of her patients.
Related
Web Link
What to Wear Today? Effect of Doctor’s Attire on the Trust and Confidence of Patients (American Journal of Medicine)

There was just one problem. As she delivered her thoughtful patient presentations to me and the other attending doctors, it was hard not to notice her low-cut dress.

“You two have to say something to her,” one of my male colleagues said to me and another female doctor one afternoon. But while none of us would have hesitated to intervene had she prescribed the wrong drug for a patient, we felt weird saying something to her about her clothes. So we didn’t.

Nearly a decade later, my impression is that more young physicians and students are dressing like that resident. Every day, it seems, I see a bit of midriff here, a plunging neckline there. Open-toed sandals, displaying brightly manicured toes, seem ubiquitous.

My observations may partly reflect the city in which I work, Miami, a subtropical place known for its racy clothes. But colleagues who practice elsewhere report that they, too, have seen medical students and young doctors show up for clinical work in less-than-professional attire.

“Poor choice is not regional — I’ve seen it everywhere,” said Dr. Pamela A. Rowland, a behavioral scientist and director of the office of professional development at Dartmouth Medical School, who has studied the impact of physician clothing on patient confidence. “It always surprises me when there are dress codes for staff but not for physicians.”

Among older and middle-aged physicians (like myself), tales of salacious and sloppy trainee attire abound. One colleague commented that a particularly statuesque student “must have thought all her male patients were having strokes” when she walked in their exam room wearing a low-cut top and a miniskirt. Another complained about a male student who came to class unshaven, even though he hadn’t been on call the night before. One Midwestern medical school dean reported that her school instituted a formal dress policy after administrators noticed students revealing too much flesh while sunbathing on a small patch of grass outside the school building, directly below patients’ hospital room windows.

Patients and colleagues may dismiss a young doctor’s skills and knowledge or feel their concerns aren’t being taken seriously when the doctor is dressed in a manner more suitable for the gym or a night on the town. There are also hygiene considerations: open-toed shoes don’t protect against the spills that commonly occur in patient care, and long, flowing hair can potentially carry harmful bacteria.

“Patients don’t have your c.v. in front of them, and appearance is all they have to go by,” Dr. Rowland said. “If you don’t meet their expectations, their anxiety level increases.”

In a study published last year in The American Journal of Medicine, patients surveyed in one outpatient clinic overwhelmingly preferred doctors photographed in formal attire with a white coat to photos of doctors in scrubs, business suits and informal clothes — jeans and a T-shirt for men, an above-the-knee skirt for women. The patients also said they were more likely to divulge their social, sexual and psychological worries to the clinicians in the white coats than to the other doctors.

Plaintiffs’ attorneys sometimes ask about a doctor’s attire in malpractice depositions, Dr. Rowland said. Her research has also found that physician clothing can influence scores on board certification oral exams, in which a senior doctor assesses a younger doctor’s medical knowledge.

“You don’t want to look too attractive to be serious,” she said, adding that “a certain amount of the nerd factor” can help a doctor’s performance.

Historically, doctors have dressed differently from the rest of the population, and the doctor’s uniform in the Western world continues to evolve. Hippocrates advised doctors to be “clean in person” and “well dressed” but also recommended that they be “plump” and anoint themselves with “sweet-smelling unguents.” The white coat itself became a staple for Western doctors in the early 20th century. More recently, the British Medical Association recommended that doctors on hospital wards not wear ties, because they are seldom washed and can carry antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Many medical schools have dress codes (my employer, the University of Miami, specifies that students have hair “of a natural human color,” among other things). But enforcement is often left up to faculty members and thus can be haphazard.

Last year, I sent home an otherwise excellent student because her feet were clad in shoes that looked like flip-flops (though she claimed they were expensive leather sandals). I felt guilty about it at the time, since it meant she missed an afternoon of clinic. But I doubt she’ll ever wear them in front of patients again.

And I wonder about that resident with whom I worked many years ago. Do patients and colleagues underestimate her abilities? Ultimately, we didn’t do her a favor by pretending to ignore her clothes.

Dr. Erin N. Marcus is a general internist and assistant professor of clinical medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

SOURCE: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/health/21essa.html?_r=0

Last edited:
Dressing like a doctor: Does the white lab coat matter?

June 16, 2003|Jane E. Allen | Times Staff Writer

Although casual dress has become the fashion rule in many workplaces, we prefer our doctors to be dressed neatly and formally in the old-fashioned white lab coat. So says Dr. Lawrence J. Brandt, a medical school lecturer who has become a 21st century one-man band for the return of dress codes.

He's just written a heavily researched commentary in a major medical journal to make his case.

A few years ago, the chief of gastroenterology at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, N.Y., began noticing that many of the medical students attending his lectures were slouched and unkempt, wearing scruffy jeans and sneakers, toting filthy, beat-up backpacks. There was barely a pressed shirt or a tie to be seen. What a contrast to his medical school days in the late 1960s, when everyone was expected to be neat, well-groomed and professionally dressed.

He noticed the trend among interns and residents not only at Montefiore, but at other hospitals and medical centers as well. "I have stopped people in the halls who didn't know me and said, 'Have you looked in a mirror recently? What would your mother think if she were approached by someone looking like you?' "

Brandt, 59, wondered whether he was being stodgy, or whether a doctor's appearance truly matters. After searching medical literature for studies about attitudes toward doctors' dress, he found that patients do feel more comfortable with a doctor in the traditional white lab coat and name tag. (The exception is so-called "white-coat syndrome" in which patients' blood pressure goes up when a medical professional approaches, but that's linked to anxiety, not attire.) It holds true across all ages, gender and geographic regions.

Brandt's findings are published in an article in the June 9 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine. He noted that a doctor's appearance was important to the father of medicine, Hippocrates, who said a physician should "be clean in person, well-dressed, and anointed with sweet smelling unguents that are beyond suspicion. For all these things are pleasing to people who are ill, and he must pay attention to this."

The white coat became a medical fixture in the late 19th century, when doctors began to focus on hygiene, because it kept blood and body fluids off a doctor's street clothes. Today, it's practical, with deep pockets that hold tools of the trade, including a stethoscope, reflex hammer and personal digital assistants.

The coat has always been rich in symbolism. It confers scientific rigor and seriousness (just note how many drug ads feature a doctor in a white lab coat), along with purity. Since 1993, most U.S. medical schools have conducted the "white coat ceremony," during which medical students don the white coat they're expected to wear during the clinical part of their training. For example, UC Davis medical students learning how to perform a physical exam are told to always wear the white coat with a name tag.

Sloppy and overly informal attire "just brings the whole level of professionalism down," Brandt said. "As goes the dress, so goes the speech and so goes the personal intercourse."

Brandt believes he's the lone Montefiore doctor to impose a rigid dress code on doctors in training. "If you make the rounds with me in internal medicine, you have to dress as I believe a professional person should dress," he said

SOURCE: http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jun/16/health/he-whitecoats16

What residents and medical students should wear in the hospital

Vineet Arora, MD and Shalini Reddy, MD | Education | July 13, 2010

At a recent meeting I attended, a vigorous discussion broke out about what medical students, residents and attendings should wear, and more importantly what they should not wear.

Interestingly, patients have been asked to weigh in on this discussion. What to wear is also on the mind of many current second year medical students who may find themselves trying to take study breaks from USMLE 1 to go buy clothes for the wards. I also remember doing this as a rising third year student and wondering what to get.

1. Don’t break the bank. Stores like Target, Marshalls, Sears or JCPenney are all fine places to get clothes for the hospital. You’ll be wearing your white coat over your clothes. Save your money for your fourth year interview suit.

2. The hospital is a messy place. Buy clothes which you wouldn’t mind throwing out if you were drenched in body fluids. (Not likely to happen but would be devastating if you’re wearing Prada or Valentino).

3. Buy comfortable shoes. You’ll be on your feet most of the day. There are actually studies that demonstrate that residents (who you’ll be following around) may walk up to 6 miles when on call! It’s hard to answer “pimp” questions if you’re developing bunions and wondering when the heck you can take off those shoes. You’re feet will thank you.

4. Get a waterproof, inexpensive watch. You’re going to be washing your hands a lot. Being late to rounds is never good, but you may also lose your watch after you take it off to scrub in. A watch with an alarm can be very handy when you have to get up at 4 in the morning to pre-round for surgery.

5. Scrubs are for the hospital not for home. As a New York Times article pointed out, no one wants to sit next to someone on the subway wearing scrubs, particularly those with uncharacterizable stains on them. Scrubs are there, in part, to keep you from taking hospital germs into the community. It’s also hospital policy. Unless a resident or student is staying overnight or involved with procedures, scrubs are a ‘dressed down’ look. So plan to change from scrubs to regular clothes before you wander around outside the hospital.

6. Stock up on detergent, soap and deodorant. You’re going to be getting up close with your patients and if your clothes (or you) smell, they will feel even sicker than they already do.

7. Buy a bleach pen. This is very helpful for spot cleaning blood stains until you can get your coat back to your house for laundering. Peroxide works too.

8. White coats (and ties for men) are still part of the uniform. Yes, there are studies showing white coats and ties spreading infection. In the UK, they are already banning white coats. However, for now in the US, they are considered part of the standard attire for physicians and medical trainees and what patients have come to expect. In addition to washing your coat often, washing your hands is the #1 thing you can do to prevent infection.

9. Wash that white coat. Those aforementioned uncharacterizable stains are really gross on white coats. Not a great way to instill confidence in your abilities with patients or attendings.

10. No perfume or cologne. Remember the triggers for asthma? Perfume is one of them. Stick to “eau de soap and water.” Beware the overly scented deodorant too. Unscented soaps are typically the best for combating malodors while avoiding elicitation of bronchospasm.

And some more tips especially for women

1. Save the ‘Hospital Honey’ look for Halloween. Buy clothes for the hospital, not for going out: cover your cleavage, make sure your skirts reach at least mid-knee when you sit; shirts and pants/skirts should cover your midriff even when you raise your arms above your head. Remember, you are not dressed to kill, but dressed to heal. A patient actually called one of our attendings out for wearing loud, high heeled boots. An embarrassing reminder that we’re dressing for our patients not for each other.

2. Minimize jewelry. Make sure you don’t wear anything too expensive to work especially if you know you’ll have to take it off (e.g. engagement ring gets taken off whenever you put on gloves). Get a safety deposit box if you’re worried about leaving your jewelry at home. Stay away from hoop or dangling earrings. Your stethoscope will pull off the hoops and kids will pull off the danglers. Besides, you’ll get germs on anything that’s not attached closely to your body (e.g. stud earrings).

3. Wear OSHA compliant shoes (no open toe). We know this is especially hard in the summer, when all the high fashion sandals and pedicured feet aching to show themselves. Do everyone a favor and keep your toes covered and save your fashion forward footwear for an evening out with friends.

One of us actually took care of a female healthcare worker who had an IV pole run over their foot and contracted a MRSA foot infection – not fun! As a result, every summer, we are on the hunt for comfortable but good looking pair of “OSHA shoes”- it’s harder to find that it looks! DSW shoe warehouse is a good bet and won’t break the bank. Dansko clogs are also a safe bet and Crocs are now making comfy shoes without holes. Stay away from Crocs with holes which just provide pores for body fluids and needles to get to your feet.

4. Hold off on the fancy manicures. Your nails have to be short and you’ll be washing your hands often. Nail polish does not stand up well to frequent hand washing/Purell.

Vineet Arora is an internal medicine physician who blogs at FutureDocs, and Shalini Reddy is an internal medicine physician.

SOURCE: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/07/residents-medical-students-wear-hospital.html

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
An evidence-based approach to getting dressed

How resident clothing affects patients, colleagues, success

From the April ACP Observer, copyright © 2007 by the American College of Physicians.

By Stacey Butterfield

Flip on the TV or even open a newspaper lately, and you might get the impression that medical residents are going about their jobs in shockingly inappropriate attire—men in rumpled shirts and five o'clock shadow and women wearing tiny skirts and stilettos.

Television characters, a recent column in the New York Times, and a feature on the Today show have made physician attire a focus of public attention.

But the issue is nothing new, according to Pamela A. Rowland, MD, a behavioral scientist at Dartmouth Medical School who has studied physician dress.

"If you go back and read Hippocrates, he talks about dress. In the history of medicine in the U.S., they talk about British physicians being very neat and clean in comparison. If you go back through history, you'll see that what physicians wear has always been an issue," she said.

Dr. Rowland realized how important physicians' clothing is when she was conducting research on patient confidence and found physician dress to be a major variable. In one study, Dr. Rowland and her colleagues had patients rate doctors on their professionalism based on photographs.

The results came as a surprise to her. "The youngest physician in our national study was the second-most professional. Age wasn't the factor. It was what he was wearing," she said.

The doctors rated most professional-looking wore a tie, a jacket (either a suit jacket or a lab coat), and tied leather shoes if they were men. They also had belts and shoes of matching color leather, no jewelry except for a wedding band, and carried some tools of the trade—pens, stethoscopes, eyeglasses.

For women, shoulder-length or shorter hair, a jacket, a skirt and minimal jewelry rated highest on the professionalism scale.

It's not that patients are expecting their physicians to have perfect style sense, said Dr. Rowland. But any variation from the conservative standard draws some small amount of attention.
"You don't want what you're wearing to be noticed. You want people to focus on your face and your quality of care."
—Pamela A. Rowland, MD

"You don't want what you're wearing to be noticed. You want people to focus on your face and your quality of care," she said.

Contrary to Dr. Rowland's results, a new study of 1,116 ob/gyn patients, published in February, found that women are concentrating on quality of care more than clothing. The researchers had practicing physicians dress in business clothes, casual attire or scrubs, and then surveyed their patients about overall satisfaction. They found "no difference in the mean overall satisfaction score among the three physician attire groups," according to the study, published in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Dr. Rowland was not convinced by the data, which study authors admitted could have been influenced by many factors, including patients' tendency to evaluate doctors favorably right after their encounter. "Although I'm delighted that they are interested in the topic, too many variables in the study were not independent, controlled or reported," she said.

Peer pressure

Other physicians, as well as patients, take note of apparel, Dr. Rowland discovered in her studies. She looked at oral board exams, and found a relationship between dress and scores. "If you looked different from everybody else that was taking the exam that day, it puts a little bit of doubt when you walk into the room that you're not taking it as seriously," she said.

As if patient confidence and board scores weren't enough pressure on your outfit, it could affect malpractice claims as well. Dr. Rowland doesn't have any empirical evidence on that issue, but she does have one telling anecdote.

A patient suing over a post-surgical error said that she knew her surgeon wasn't focused on her because he came to her room in jeans, a T-shirt and athletic shoes. "Every other physician said he probably came and checked her and then went into the locker room and changed into scrubs, but what the jury saw was that he wasn't focused on her 100%," said Dr. Rowland.

The story confirms the impressions of other physicians. "I wouldn't be surprised if patients were more forgiving to doctors who in earnest made an error but look more like doctors than like hippies," said Mark Lema, MD, an anesthesiologist who has written about physician dress.

But perhaps, like hippies, concern about dress is something that dwindles away over generations? Not so, said Dr. Rowland. She studied 18- to 22-year-old patients and found that they preferred conservatively dressed doctors about as much as older patients.

Geographic location also had very little impact, to the researchers' surprise. "We really thought we might get regional differences, that California might be more casual," Dr. Rowland said.

Despite agreement on the importance of dress, doctors were divided over the current state of the situation. Dr. Rowland thinks formality is on the rise among residents, thanks to dress codes and the 80-hour rule.

"I think the hardest thing before was residents getting enough time to take care of themselves—get their hair cut, keep clean. The work hour change has made it easier," she said.

Douglas Bacon, MD, a course director at the Mayo Clinic, worries that residents are getting more casual all the time, but he is pleased by the changes he sees every so often on an individual basis. "We had a resident who gave the appearance of not being the brightest light bulb in the pack. He was a weightlifter and he used to come in wearing a muscle shirt in the summer, and he wondered why nobody respected him."

After some time, the resident began wearing a jacket and tie. "All of a sudden, the attending staff in both his specialty and others started treating him a little differently," Dr. Bacon said.

Grandma knows best

Muscle shirts aside, the most commonly cited issues with resident dress were fairly minor—failure to wear name tags, shoes without socks, fake nails.

At Christiana Care Health System in Wilmington, Del. a few residents have found a way to avoid fashion dilemmas altogether.

"Some residents do not have a lot of disposable income to purchase a full seven day a week rotating wardrobe which is more expensive than buying scrubs, or just finding them someplace in the hospital," said Allen R. Friedland, FACP, Christiana Care's medicine/pediatrics program director.

Those scrubs are the usual baggy kind, not the figure-flattering versions depicted on "Grey's Anatomy," he noted. "I think the fitted lab coats that are on the TV programs are not something any hospital wants to pay extra money for," Dr. Friedland said.

To those residents who do want to look like celebrities, physicians warned that it is possible to go too far in the dressy direction as well. At the Mayo Clinic, residents vie to be the best-dressed, but as Dr. Lema advises, "sometimes you can look too slick. No starched shirts with French cuffs or a contrasting collar with a $75 tie."

Dr. Rowland agreed that she has found a certain amount of "nerd factor" to be helpful for young doctors.

With such a range of fashion advice and criticism, it can make just putting on clothes in the morning another frustration for busy residents.

But one medical student blogger had a simple solution to the dress dilemma. "I take note of what female physicians wear, and I always ask myself, 'Would I wear this to visit my grandma?

SOURCE: http://www.acpinternist.org/archives/2007/04/dressed.htm

Putting on the style: what patients think of the way their doctor dresses.

B McKinstry and J X Wang

Br J Gen Pract. 1991 July; 41(348): 270, 275-8.

Abstract

The aim of this study was to determine how acceptable patients found different styles of doctors' dress and whether patients felt that a doctor's style of dress influenced their respect for his or her opinion. A total of 475 patients from five general practices in Lothian were surveyed using photographs of different styles in a male and female doctor and questions about their attitudes to doctors' dress in general. Overall, patients seemed to favour a more formal approach to dress, with the male doctor wearing a formal suit and tie and the female doctor in a white coat scoring the most high marks. This was particularly true of older patients and those in social classes 1 and 2. The male doctor wearing a tweed jacket and informal shirt and tie scored fewer low marks and this was therefore the least disliked of the outfits. There was a marked variation between preferences of patients registered with different practices. When asked, 28% of patients said they would be unhappy about consulting one of doctors shown, usually the ones who were informally dressed. However, some patients said they would dislike their doctor wearing a white coat. Although there are more important attributes for a general practitioner than the way he or she dresses, a majority of patients (64%) thought that the way their doctor dressed was very important or quite important. Given that 41% of the patients said they would have more confidence in the ability of one of the doctors based on their appearance it would seem logical for doctors to dress in a way that inspires confidence.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

SOURCE / FULL ARTICLE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1371685/

What to wear today? Effect of doctor's attire on the trust and confidence of patients.

Rehman SU, Nietert PJ, Cope DW, Kilpatrick AO.
Source

Ralph H. Johnson Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29464, USA. [email protected]

Am J Med. 2005 Nov;118(11):1279-86.

Abstract
PURPOSE:

There are very few studies about the impact of physicians' attire on patients' confidence and trust. The objective of this study was to determine whether the way a doctor dresses is an important factor in the degree of trust and confidence among respondents.
METHODS:

A cross-sectional descriptive study using survey methodology was conducted of patients and visitors in the waiting room of an internal medicine outpatient clinic. Respondents completed a written survey after reviewing pictures of physicians in four different dress styles. Respondents were asked questions related to their preference for physician dress as well as their trust and willingness to discuss sensitive issues.
RESULTS:

Four hundred respondents with a mean age of 52.4 years were enrolled; 54% were men, 58% were white, 38% were African-American, and 43% had greater than a high school diploma. On all questions regarding physician dress style preferences, respondents significantly favored the professional attire with white coat (76.3%, P <.0001), followed by surgical scrubs (10.2%), business dress (8.8%), and casual dress (4.7%). Their trust and confidence was significantly associated with their preference for professional dress (P <.0001). Respondents also reported that they were significantly more willing to share their social, sexual, and psychological problems with the physician who is professionally dressed (P <.0001). The importance of physician's appearance was ranked similarly between male and female respondents (P=.54); however, female physicians' dress appeared to be significantly more important to respondents than male physicians' dress (P <.001).
CONCLUSION:

Respondents overwhelmingly favor physicians in professional attire with a white coat. Wearing professional dress (ie, a white coat with more formal attire) while providing patient care by physicians may favorably influence trust and confidence-building in the medical encounter.

SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16271913

Last edited:
Preferences of parents for pediatric emergency physicians' attire.
Gonzalez Del Rey JA, Paul RI.
Source

Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio, USA.

Pediatr Emerg Care. 1995 Dec;11(6):361-4.

Abstract

While several studies have evaluated patient/parent's preference for physicians' attire in pediatric clinics, pediatric wards, and in adult emergency settings, none has been done in a pediatric emergency department (PED). Furthermore, factors that may influence these preferences such as severity of illness, time of visit, and type of emergency department (ED) visit (surgical vs medical) have not been considered. This study was designed to evaluate parents' attitudes toward pediatric emergency department physicians' professional appearance. By way of a survey, the parents/guardians of 360 patients presenting to Children's Hospital Medical Center PED in Cincinnati, Ohio, were presented with eight photographs of physician pairs (male/female) dressed in different levels of attire ranging from a formal style (white laboratory coat, dress shoes, and tie) to surgical scrubs with tennis shoes. They were asked to choose the pair of practitioners they liked the most and the least, and to indicate whether their perception of competence was affected by physician attire. Preferences were analyzed by gender, age, responsible person, insurance group, type of visit, severity of illness, and time of visit. The results showed that, when asked which physicians they would prefer the most to evaluate their child in the PED, the majority of subjects chose photographs of physicians dressed most formally (158/360 [chi 2, P < 0.0001]). When asked which physician they preferred the least, 229 subjects chose the photograph of doctors wearing no white laboratory coat, no tie, and tennis shoes (chi 2, P < 0.0001). Neither severity of illness, time of visit, insurance group, age, race, or gender of the guardian or parent had a significant statistical effect on the most preferred or disliked attire. However, subjects visiting the ED between 7 AM and 11 PM clearly preferred the formal attire when compared with the 11 PM to 7 AM shift (chi 2, P = 0.016). A significant difference was noted between the preference of surgical scrubs by the parents of patients with surgical emergencies (42/90 [58%]) vs medical patients (30/270 [23%]) (chi 2, P < 0.0001). Combining parents' selections, 75% preferred photographs of physicians wearing white laboratory coats, while 84% chose photographs of doctors who wore tennis shoes as the least liked physicians. Seventy-two percent of parents felt the physicians they preferred the most were not necessarily more capable than the other choices. Sixty-nine percent of subjects felt that it did not matter what their pediatric emergency physician was wearing. Formal attire was associated with "professional appearance" in 64% of the responses. Our study demonstrated that: 1) pediatric emergency physician's attire does not matter to most parents. However, when asked to choose, clear preferences for likes and dislikes become evident. 2) Parents/guardians prefer pediatric emergency physicians who wear formal attire, including white laboratory coat, and do not like casual dress with tennis shoes. 3) Severity of illness, insurance type, and age, race, and gender of guardians do not affect preferences. 4) Parents of patients with surgical emergencies are more likely to prefer doctors wearing surgical scrubs. 5) Parents visiting the ED during night shift (11 PM to 7 AM) showed less interest in formal attire. Our findings may assist in parent/physician interaction in a PED setting.

SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8751171

Resident physician attire: does it make a difference to our patients?

Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004 May;190(5):1484-8.
Resident physician attire: does it make a difference to our patients?
Cha A, Hecht BR, Nelson K, Hopkins MP.
Source

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Aultman Health Foundation, Canton, Ohio 44710, USA.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:

This study was performed to examine the preferences of patients regarding physician attire, and if their perception of physician competence was influenced by the physicians' clothing style.
METHODS:

Patients attending the obstetrics and gynecology clinic in which residents provided the majority of direct patient care were invited to participate in this study by completing a questionnaire. Patients were first asked to respond to 3 questions about their preference regarding physician attire. They were then asked to examine a series of photographs illustrating a variety of physician clothing styles worn by a model. Patients were asked to respond to 2 questions: 1). If your doctor is dressed in this outfit, would that make you more or less comfortable talking to your physician?, and 2). If your doctor is dressed in this outfit, would it make you feel more or less confident in his/her abilities?
RESULTS:

The majority of the respondents expressed no preference for their physician wearing a white coat (60%/110/183), or they did not respond that a physician's dress influenced their comfort level (63%/111/179) or the confidence (62%/114/181) they had in their physician. However, for both male and female physician models, the comfort level of patients and their perceptions of physician competence were the highest in response to images of physicians dressed in scrubs with a white coat, and least for casual dress.
CONCLUSION:

Resident physician attire makes a difference to patients. Our patients prefer the white coat with surgical scrubs. Casual clothing is less well liked by our patients.

SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15167876

Last edited:

Last edited:
BMJ. 2005 Dec 24;331(7531):1524-7.
Judging a book by its cover: descriptive survey of patients' preferences for doctors' appearance and mode of address.
Lill MM, Wilkinson TJ.
Source

Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Otago, New Zealand.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To document patients' preferred dress styles of their doctors and modes of address.
DESIGN:

Descriptive survey.
SETTING:

Inpatients and outpatients at a tertiary level hospital, New Zealand.
PARTICIPANTS:

202 inpatients and 249 outpatients, mean age 55.9 (SD 19.3) years.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:

Ranking of patients' opinions of photographs showing doctors wearing different dress styles. A five point Likert scale was used to measure patient comfort with particular items of appearance.
RESULTS:

Patients preferred doctors to wear semiformal attire, but the addition of a smiling face was even better. The next most preferred styles were semiformal without a smile, followed by white coat, formal suit, jeans, and casual dress. Patients were more comfortable with conservative items of clothing, such as long sleeves, covered shoes, and dress trousers or skirts than with less conservative items such as facial piercing, short tops, and earrings on men. Many less conservative items such as jeans were still acceptable to most patients. Most patients preferred to be called by their first name, to be introduced to a doctor by full name and title, and to see the doctor's name badge worn at the breast pocket. Older patients had more conservative preferences.
CONCLUSIONS:

Patients prefer doctors to wear semiformal dress and are most comfortable with conservative items; many less conservative items were, however, acceptable. A smile made a big difference.

SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16373739

Last edited: