Rotation Dress Codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tazmaniac said:
Boy, we sure whine a lot. :laugh:

Thank goodness I'm on the west coast where it's occasionally ok to wear hawaiian shirts to work. :hardy:

-Todd MS-IV USC

This is true. Different parts of the country have very different standards of dress. For example, in AZ and TX the work wear is VERY casual. VERY. Among men and women.

I know a lot of guys who do wear the ties to work, but if they picked out nice shirts or sweaters with some good kahakis, it would be acceptable. it seems to me that a lot of men (specifically young ones) don't know how to dress nicely without a tie. Which is fine, I suppose, but there are options. granted, I am speaking from the SW part of the country, where I would like to reiterate, we are VERY casual.

Vietcongs, you have a wonderful argument. To wear an equivalent outfit to the man's shirt and tie requires pumps and pantyhose. Blech. I have YET to wear pumps or hose to any day of my rotation.

I think the best way to find the right look is to look at what the people in charge of you are wearing. Except for the few freakish weirdos (eg the psych doc in a sweatsuit), you will never go wrong trying to emaulate them in their appearance.

Here's a horror story of a resident (female) that I worked with: wore a skirt that was much too big - had it safety pinned (safety pin was apparent) and 4 inch sandals to work one day (sandals were common in this place among women) and a ratty nasty tank top. It was gross. I had to comment. I did. (Specifically on the safety pin.) But I'm like that and this woman was so annoying. My husband and son actually had to see her one day for care, and my husband says that all he can remember is how slutty she looked. Isn't that sad that we advance in our rights and then our appearance holds us back? Sad.

I don't care if someone is casually dressed or professionally dressed. On first impression, I want them to be clean and their clothes not be in disrepair and to not be showing too much skin. But again, I am from the SW and we care less about professional appearance than other parts of the country.

Members don't see this ad.

ribsandbbqbeef said:
It's also disgusting how women use their looks to flirt with male residents & attendings to get preferential treatment over the guys. How do they expect men to treat them equally if they use cheap shots like that. Guys don't do that at the hospital to get preferential treatment.

But to be fair, guys are also weak for succumbing to a woman's good looks & flirtations. Some guys can ignore that, but for most guys, it's their own fault for letting the woman affect them. Need to use the head on our shoulders, not the other one :eek:

LOL, just can't win. Women (claim) that they don't like men checking out their chests, but then they wear T-shirts with printing on them. No, I'm not checking out your chest size, just trying to read whatever is on there. Don't like it? Don't wear anything that requires any degree of concentration.

ribsandbbqbeef said:
I disagree. Women CHOOSE to go to work with makeup. You can't reasonably say that guys have to wear shirt & ties because women choose to spend so much time on their face. Plenty of my classmates go to work without makeup & I'm sure they sleep in an extra 1/2 hour for that.

As far as the rest of the thread goes, I don't really care what women wear to work. However if you really want to be fair, then women should dress more professionally and be in either pants-suit or skirt-suit (minus the jacket, like guys). This is a profession and EVERYONE should look professional. If women want to be treated equally, they should abide by the same dress code.

I remember seeing a girl wear a stringy tight tank top under a white coat and nothing else, and another girl wear a mini skirt with leather thigh high boots to work. I personally didn't mind the eye candy, but I also definitely did not think it was appropriate hospital attire for a doctor.

Just to add my opinion to the argument- I hate wearing makeup, but every time i don't wear it, fifty million people comment on how tired i look that day, or some other poorly disguised reference to what our society deems socially acceptable for women to look like. I don't really have that bad of skin or anything, it's just that people expect women to wear makeup to work and it SUCKS! (sorry, sore spot)

I do agree that women should wear professional pants and shirts that keep covered parts covered, but must also point out that most stores (in my modest price range) either carry "party" clothes or "grandma" clothes for women. Trying to find a pair of decent pants that don't reveal exactly which style of underpants you are wearing, yet don't wrinkle horrible the second you step out the door can take months- and I personally am sick of not being able to find decent yet stylish clothes without leaving my 150 mile radius. anything "timless" or "classic" costs about twice as much as the other stuff, too- some students may not be able to afford decent women's clothing, where as men can wear stuff from Sam's/Costco and it looks identical to the designer label stuff.
Just my own frustration...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had an opinion on this subject for sometime. And of course, who like the chokechain necktie. Scanning the literature, there hasn't been a good study for some time. Perhaps those looking for a paper before residency should take heed. I found an interesting article and included the abstract. I believe the lest line states it nicely:

"The worst are women-doctors": nineteenth-century attitudes toward the appearance and professionalism of women physicians.

Shifrin S.

Will you think it queer if I say a word as to dress from a man's standpoint? If you want to see ill-dressed people, the worst are women-doctors, platform ladies, college professors (men), and the folks generally who are over-valuers of learning. In the effort to dress the mind, I pray you not to forget the body. I never saw a professional woman who had not lost some charm. There comes a little hardness, less thought as to how prettily to do or say things; affected plainness of dress; something goes. It seems to me a duty for men and women to seem as well to be gracious in dress and manner.

Trans Stud Coll Physicians Phila. 1994 Dec;16(5):47-65.

The trick to the makeup problem is never to wear it in the first place. I'd much rather suprise people by looking unusally good on a day I choose to wear makeup than have one's baseline perceptions affected by foundation, etc.

I know a few female residents that often get mistaken for nurses or phlebotomists. I always get a chuckle out of it.... thinking that's what you get for wearing sweat pants and sneakers to work. Geez, show some class.... you're a doctor.

I agree....you are a professional so dress like it. GEEZE

mollybo said:
The trick to the makeup problem is never to wear it in the first place. I'd much rather suprise people by looking unusally good on a day I choose to wear makeup than have one's baseline perceptions affected by foundation, etc.

oh man... i can tell right now you are the woman for me, marry me?? :love: :D

Ursus Martimus said:
I have had an opinion on this subject for sometime. And of course, who like the chokechain necktie. Scanning the literature, there hasn't been a good study for some time. Perhaps those looking for a paper before residency should take heed. I found an interesting article and included the abstract. I believe the lest line states it nicely:

"The worst are women-doctors": nineteenth-century attitudes toward the appearance and professionalism of women physicians.

Shifrin S.

Will you think it queer if I say a word as to dress from a man's standpoint? If you want to see ill-dressed people, the worst are women-doctors, platform ladies, college professors (men), and the folks generally who are over-valuers of learning. In the effort to dress the mind, I pray you not to forget the body. I never saw a professional woman who had not lost some charm. There comes a little hardness, less thought as to how prettily to do or say things; affected plainness of dress; something goes. It seems to me a duty for men and women to seem as well to be gracious in dress and manner.

Trans Stud Coll Physicians Phila. 1994 Dec;16(5):47-65.

queer hehe

mollybo said:

This statement right here makes you automatically wifey material. :thumbup:

Laura JC said:
As a child of the 60's and a self-respecting woman I just HAVE to respond to this....
We "want to be treated equally"?
Guess what. We ARE equal. No matter what we wear, what we do that you don't like, what moods we display that you don't care for, how much makeup we wear or not wear. We ARE equal. There is plenty of stuff that men do that I don't like, but I would not dream of basing whether or not they deserve equal rights or equal treatment on whether or not I happen to understand or like the things men do.

In light of your comments, it is laughable that you are preaching to women how to be "professional". So cut out the misogynistic inuendo, put your short pants away, take your thumb out of your mouth, put on your shirt and tie and be a grown-up.

The general argument has been, "To recieve equal treatment, assume equal responsibility." The statement of "if you want to be treated equally..." doesn't impinge upon the equal rights of all women, simply those who do not act as equals. If a female does not dress appropriately in a professional setting, than she is not equal. This is not a sexist comment, because a man who does not dress appropriately is also not an equal. You seem to express the same idea in your closing statement, "put on your shirt and tie and be a grown-up." Why, as a feminist, would you expect less of a woman?

AlternateSome1 said:
The general argument has been, "To recieve equal treatment, assume equal responsibility." The statement of "if you want to be treated equally..." doesn't impinge upon the equal rights of all women, simply those who do not act as equals. If a female does not dress appropriately in a professional setting, than she is not equal. This is not a sexist comment, because a man who does not dress appropriately is also not an equal. You seem to express the same idea in your closing statement, "put on your shirt and tie and be a grown-up." Why, as a feminist, would you expect less of a woman?

I disagree that dressing identically to a man, minus the tie, means that I am assuming equal responsibility. The idea seems to be that for women to be regarded as professionals, we need to make ourselves look as slightly more feminine versions of men. Who decided that? Who decided that a shirt that buttons down the front is less professional than one that doesn't? Who decided that a flowered skirt was less appropriate than a plain skirt or trouser? Women do not have to adopt men's patterns of dressing in order to insert themselves in professions previously dominated by men. It's not that men are letting us in, as long as we comply with what men are doing. Men decided that a shirt with a tie was a professional look for them. Fair enough. I'm not knocking on the door of the professional world, asking for permission to enter as long as I start looking more like men and what their dress standards dictate. I make my own way, I dress in a manner that pleases me and conforms to the standards of the people who are in authority over me in the workplace.
As long as the organization I am working for decides that I am dressing professionally enough for their standards, and I like what I am wearing, then that is all I am concerned about.
And I don't expect 'less' of women. I disagree that 'different' means 'less'. I have high standards for myself in the way I present myself to patients and colleagues. I don't concern myself with whether or not other people who are not dressed like I am are getting treated as well as I am. That kind of whining, about who is dressing provocatively to get ahead, who has to wear uncomfortable pantyhose, who gets away with not having to wear an uncomfortable tie, etc., is boring and childish in my opinion.

Laura JC said:
As long as the organization I am working for decides that I am dressing professionally enough for their standards, and I like what I am wearing, then that is all I am concerned about.

I think the point is that there really are no standards for women. One day I decided to wear a nice shirt without a tie- I got sent home to put on a tie while the girl standing next to me was just fine with her too-tight t-shirt with "Hot Chick" printed on the front and tennis shoes.
Standards? not less?

Members don't see this ad :)
student.ie said:
I think the point is that there really are no standards for women. One day I decided to wear a nice shirt without a tie- I got sent home to put on a tie while the girl standing next to me was just fine with her too-tight t-shirt with "Hot Chick" printed on the front and tennis shoes.
Standards? not less?

You mean you weren't aware that you were required to wear a tie? Because if you knew you were supposed to wear one and didn't, it sounds like the problem is your willingness to follow the rules, not the fact that your colleague's shirt was too tight.
Unless of course, there are no written rules for either the women OR the men there, in which case it is apparently judged by individual superiors whether or not a particular student is appropriately dressed. But no, that can't be it, because you wouldn't have said there are no standards for WOMEN only.
I presume tight t shirts on the female students are a big problem where you are, because I doubt you would try to make a point about general standards concerning professional clothing based on one anecdote, right?

@Laura: I think his point was that if women can dress professionally without wearing a tie, then why can't men?

I don't think that I would deny there is a double standard, and it's perfectly ok to condone the current practices. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the sticky wicket lies in the notion that patients don't notice when a female doctor arrives in unprofessional dress, or that this doesn't impact the perceived quality of care. You may find it suitable to do surgery followups in a hip tshirt and painted wedges, but perhaps not all of your patients will share your viewpoint. Many patients come from previous generations when fashion and dress code were not quite so flagrant or relaxed.

I agree with what you are saying about patient perceptions. I actually choose to dress up quite a bit when I'm around patients. It's my personal preference, and I probably could get away with more casual stuff.
The objection I have was to the original notion in some of the earlier posts that tied up clothing choices with equal treatment. I think it's a ridiculous thing to whine about, there was even a post about how 'life sucks' because of it. Good grief.

If there are men out there who are REALLY concerned about unfair expectations of men in regard to dress, then they should do something about it. Put in a formal complaint, push for uniform standards, whatever, have some courage and do something about it. Perhaps men aren't so accustomed to having to push for their rights, and push for equality, so maybe it's time they did. Women have had to do it, why can't men?

Laura JC said:
I agree with what you are saying about patient perceptions. I actually choose to dress up quite a bit when I'm around patients. It's my personal preference, and I probably could get away with more casual stuff.
The objection I have was to the original notion in some of the earlier posts that tied up clothing choices with equal treatment. I think it's a ridiculous thing to whine about, there was even a post about how 'life sucks' because of it. Good grief.

If there are men out there who are REALLY concerned about unfair expectations of men in regard to dress, then they should do something about it. Put in a formal complaint, push for uniform standards, whatever, have some courage and do something about it. Perhaps men aren't so accustomed to having to push for their rights, and push for equality, so maybe it's time they did. Women have had to do it, why can't men?

because judges and jurors love slutty dressed women on the stand in tears much more so than men.... addtionally, as such that is all they are in their eyes... slutty helpless women who cant do anything right so have pitty on them.

anyways sure... to stand up for my concerns ill do something, any female residents (or male residents for that matter) that come in in anything other than proper attire is sent home for the day, and it goes on record as not showing up... something harsh to that effect. do it again, and you gotta repeat the year, if you are actually allowed to stay. this is a highly respected profession because of the PROFESSIONALS in it. the most highly trained individuals should not look slutty. should be formal attire. short short skirts or form fitting anything would be unacceptable. nothing should be provocative. and wearing a button up dress shirt means you are supposed to button the buttons, not button a few here and there, and let the whole world look at your chest. pathetic and demeaning...

a woman walks in in formal professional dressed up attire, now there is someone to be respected. listen to what she says because she probablly knows her stuff. another woman walks in in a tank top, open toed flip flops, and sweats... and im thinking did someone order pizza?? same "fits" for men as well.

"If there are men out there who are REALLY concerned about unfair expectations of men in regard to dress, then they should do something about it." What is expected is not really unfair, what is unfair is the relaxed attitude towards the dress of women given by the people in charge. but i guess its not really that bad. you get what you put into it. and then maybe women who dress like that are doing it on purpose and are really putting a lot into it... i mean when they dress like that and get away with it there is so much talk behind their backs about it that they have to deal with. and probablly a good chance they are banging someone. so yea... i guess they are putting a lot into it... but then you gotta watch out for those who dress like that to attract "perceived sexual advances" and then sue ppl. I suppose highly paid doctors are good targets in that respect... have fun, men, women, one and all.........

Laura JC said:
I disagree that dressing identically to a man, minus the tie, means that I am assuming equal responsibility. The idea seems to be that for women to be regarded as professionals, we need to make ourselves look as slightly more feminine versions of men. Who decided that? Who decided that a shirt that buttons down the front is less professional than one that doesn't? Who decided that a flowered skirt was less appropriate than a plain skirt or trouser? Women do not have to adopt men's patterns of dressing in order to insert themselves in professions previously dominated by men. It's not that men are letting us in, as long as we comply with what men are doing. Men decided that a shirt with a tie was a professional look for them. Fair enough. I'm not knocking on the door of the professional world, asking for permission to enter as long as I start looking more like men and what their dress standards dictate. I make my own way, I dress in a manner that pleases me and conforms to the standards of the people who are in authority over me in the workplace.
And I don't expect 'less' of women. I disagree that 'different' means 'less'. I have high standards for myself in the way I present myself to patients and colleagues. I don't concern myself with whether or not other people who are not dressed like I am are getting treated as well as I am. That kind of whining, about who is dressing provocatively to get ahead, who has to wear uncomfortable pantyhose, who gets away with not having to wear an uncomfortable tie, etc., is boring and childish in my opinion.

As was expressed by previous posters, I do not believe that women should necessarily dress identically to men. I am not quite sure where that idea came from, as my post was clearly about appropriate dress in a professional situation. Equal, in my mind, is the idea that men and women should have comparable dress codes and enforcement of said dress codes set by the hospitals in which they work. These standards should be set by both women and men, and should adequately reflect the current social views of professionalism while keeping in mind the nature of the health profession. It is hard to believe that you find the expression of the desire for equal treatment to be "boring and childish" "whining."

AlternateSome1 said:
As was expressed by previous posters, I do not believe that women should necessarily dress identical to men. I am not quite sure where that idea came from, as my post was clearly about appropriate dress in a professional situation. Equal, in my mind, is the idea that men and women should have comparable dress codes and enforcement of said dress codes set by the hospitals in which they work. These standards should be set by both women and men, and should adequately reflect the current social views of professionalism while keeping in mind the nature of the health profession. It is hard to believe that you find the expression of the desire for equal treatment to be "boring and childish" "whining."

I agree. Why is it that men have to wear slacks (not sweats, not jeans), a dress shirt/tie, and dress shoes (not sandals, or sneakers) and women can wear sweats, t-shirts, tank tops, etc? How is that professional?

And, how is noting that occurance misogynistic?

Laura JC said:
Put in a formal complaint, push for uniform standards, whatever, have some courage and do something about it. Perhaps men aren't so accustomed to having to push for their rights, and push for equality, so maybe it's time they did. Women have had to do it, why can't men?

Very ironic. You posted that women are equal and have equal rights, they don't have to do anything for them. Now you are suggesting that men should have to fight for their rights. Isn't this a double standard? Also, are you under the impression that any discussion of a negative situation is whining and that action should be the first recourse for any problem?

Anasazi23 said:
Do any of the other guys doing rotations out there notice the differences in the way students/residents dress? It does bother me to some degree that if a male student/resident does not come to work (aside from surgery, etc) in a shirt, tie, and dress shoes, he is either reprimanded or sent home. Conversely, women routinely dress in whatever way they want, with nary a problem. This includes everything from sneakers, sweatshirts, t-shirts or GAP-like sweaters to out and out jogging suits.

I understand that in this day and age, people are super-sensitive about asking a woman to dress "nicer" for fear of harrassment lawsuits, but this is ridiculous. I would love to come to work in a nice sweater once in a while....I know that as an attending things tend to be different, but this disparity is really beginning to bug me.

In sum - a man comes to work without a tie and he gets in trouble, a woman can dress like veritable crap and get away with it routinely.

Any opinions?

I've seen the same thing happen with respect to EMS. Males are harshly reprimanded for breaking dresscode, but females have worn flip flops onto the ambulance which is a huge health hazard without a comment.

CanuckPAGirl said:
I've seen the same thing happen with respect to EMS. Males are harshly reprimanded for breaking dresscode, but females have worn flip flops onto the ambulance which is a huge health hazard without a comment.
That, I have never seen. All the rescue squads, etc. that I've had experience with (which is at least 5) require males and females to wear black, steel-toed boots. They also all have the same uniform requirements in terms of pants & shirts.

i always though everyone just wore scrubs.
now i better go shopping.
personally i like the idea of dressing nice. it separates you from the rest of the staff.

Flip flops? Sweatpants? Tee shirts with "hot chick" printed on them? Holy cow. I never saw a female at my school try to get away with that sort of thing. (I'm still trying to figure out how someone mangaged to get through the day wearing open toed shoes on the wards without at least one person freaking out about the blatant OSHA violation.) Look, I will agree with you on this. If the females at your school are getting away with this sort of attire, someone should say something.

On the other hand, not all schools/attendings are quite as militant towards the males. At my school, it seemed like more often than not, I saw the guys traipsing around in scrubs on the wards whereas more than once I was told that it was unprofessional to wear scrubs outside of the OR. (I still did it from time to time...it just seemed that the guys got away with it a lot more..)

I do think it's frustrating that there is not a more clearly defined idea of what is "professional" attire for females. It would make choosing my wardrobe a lot easier if there were. The days I came to the hospital in a long skirt and jacket, I always got funny comments or people would ask me if I had an interview that day. No, I'm just trying to look professional...geez. At least the guys KNOW that they are in the clear wearing a shirt and tie. When we started med school, one of our lecturers was advising us about appropriate dress for the wards. Naturally, he was very specific about the men's attire, but refused to make much of a comment about what the women should wear. He just said "Well, my wife would tell you that wearing a skirt sends a strong professional message." And he left it at that. Honestly, if the administration wasn't so wishy-washy about what was appropriate, we females would have a better idea of what they expect us to wear.

Weil-Felix said:
Flip flops? Sweatpants? Tee shirts with "hot chick" printed on them? Holy cow. I never saw a female at my school try to get away with that sort of thing. (I'm still trying to figure out how someone mangaged to get through the day wearing open toed shoes on the wards without at least one person freaking out about the blatant OSHA violation.) Look, I will agree with you on this. If the females at your school are getting away with this sort of attire, someone should say something.

On the other hand, not all schools/attendings are quite as militant towards the males. At my school, it seemed like more often than not, I saw the guys traipsing around in scrubs on the wards whereas more than once I was told that it was unprofessional to wear scrubs outside of the OR. (I still did it from time to time...it just seemed that the guys got away with it a lot more..)

I do think it's frustrating that there is not a more clearly defined idea of what is "professional" attire for females. It would make choosing my wardrobe a lot easier if there were. The days I came to the hospital in a long skirt and jacket, I always got funny comments or people would ask me if I had an interview that day. No, I'm just trying to look professional...geez. At least the guys KNOW that they are in the clear wearing a shirt and tie. When we started med school, one of our lecturers was advising us about appropriate dress for the wards. Naturally, he was very specific about the men's attire, but refused to make much of a comment about what the women should wear. He just said "Well, my wife would tell you that wearing a skirt sends a strong professional message." And he left it at that. Honestly, if the administration wasn't so wishy-washy about what was appropriate, we females would have a better idea of what they expect us to wear.

Sweats with "Hollister" printed on the butt? WTF is Hollister, anyway? First time I saw some girls (young females) in them I thought the local HS was having some sort of game with a team from Hollister, CA.

There are two reasons why men don't comment on womens fashions, the first being that most men don't have a clue, the second being that if a man tried to tell a woman what to wear, the ACLU and NOW would be all over him.

Also, women have a lot more options. I just wish that they'd use more judgement. Looking like the cover of some fashion magazine isn't the appropriate way to dress for almost any job, in almost any location.

Whats wrong with wearing (when not in scrubs) slacks and a shirt with a collar? Closed-toe shoes (which are an OSHA requirement, btw). How hard is that for women?

Frankly, I think the problem is that most students / residents have never had a real job. You almost never see a woman in an office setting dressed in sweats or t-shirts (without a jacket). Well, except perhaps at Hooters. Save your fashionable club wear for the club.

Face it, ladies, it's a uniform. Same as for the guys, except you don't have to tie a noose around your neck every day. I'd much rather have gone to work in the summer in sandals and shorts than a suit, but that just wasn't appropriate (and IBM had fairly strict rules). Even when I was supervising construction projects and getting wet concrete on me, I was in dockers, never jeans. Now that I'm back in school, I can't remember the last time I wore long pants - maybe for the MCAT? Free and easy, in shorts - but, if I need to look professional I have the clothes for it.

flighterdoc said:
Sweats with "Hollister" printed on the butt? WTF is Hollister, anyway? First time I saw some girls (young females) in them I thought the local HS was having some sort of game with a team from Hollister, CA.

Man, and I thought I was old ;) (I'm 30). Hollister is actually an Abercrombie spinoff of surfing type clothing. No idea if it relates to Hollister, CA... but if it did it would be ironic, since that town is rather crappy, and several miles from any beach.

samurai_lincoln said:
Man, and I thought I was old ;) (I'm 30). Hollister is actually an Abercrombie spinoff of surfing type clothing. No idea if it relates to Hollister, CA... but if it did it would be ironic, since that town is rather crappy, and several miles from any beach.

Thanks

You're not old 'til you're stinking up a casket.

I plan on cremation.

So, I was just wondering if any of you women out there have found that any particular shoes help to get you through all the hours on your feet during rotations. I don't have the greatest back to begin with so I was thinking I would get some really good shoes but I don't know where to start. I'd assume that some of the nursing shoes are pretty comfy cuz they're made for women on who are on their feet all day... but I was hoping that some of you may have some more ideas for some cute, comfy, but appropriate shoes to wear throughout rotations. Any advice would be would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
~Bean :)

Try Dansko clogs - you can get shiny ones that look okay with dress pants. They are ugly, but everyone has them, and they really are very comfy.

I wear Clarks clogs - they look good with dressy clothes as well as with scrubs, and they are very comfortable. My feet never hurt during surgery, so they worked for me!

kcrd said:
Try Dansko clogs - you can get shiny ones that look okay with dress pants. They are ugly, but everyone has them, and they really are very comfy.
You can get Danskos that aren't ugly. These are similar to the ones I have, which are super comfortable.

mariah_blue.jpg

gwyn779 said:
You can get Danskos that aren't ugly. These are similar to the ones I have, which are super comfortable.

mariah_blue.jpg

FYI - an open heel is supposed to be an osha violation.

Danskos are the very best. They cost about $100 but are worth every penny. They are the ONLY shoes I wear every day. And they are not ugly.

Another vote for the Danskos.

I did an EM research elective this past year. I had regular MS1 classes from 8-12 and then would pull and 11 hour shift in a very busy ED. Wouldn't have survived without my Danskos!

WARNING!!! DO NOT GET DANSKOS!!!!

If you do, try wearing them inside for a few days (don't wear them outside), if they're not comfortable by then, return them ASAP. They will not get better. I wore them for like 2 months thinking they just need to be broken-in, but they just kept getting worse and worse. For some reason there is a subset of us that found Danskos extremely uncomfortable, and rather more like incredible torture.

If you are one of those people, get MERRELLS! They are THE BEST!

I used to have a pair of danskos which were farily comfortable but I found myself turning an ankle pretty frequently. There is a new nicer looking pair that just came out (don't know what model, sorry) that a coworker wears and she says they are quite comfortable, they also have a wider heel and are more stable. CUrrently, I am wearing z-coils...they are pretty ugly but they are by far the most comfortable shoes that I have worn...(they are not dressy looking though...). I have the clog version of the shoe, they are very stable and my feet don't slip out of them when I walk/run. One of our cardiac surgeons that stands in the OR all day also wears them and he also thinks they are quite comfy...YOu can look them up on their website www.zcoil.com.
The shoes can also be modified for those that have feet issues: pronation/supination/plantar fasciaitis, etc...

Attachments

• zcoil.bmp
    12.9 KB · Views: 279
I have a high arch and Dansko's kill my feet. Clark's are softer. Even the Ariot (sp?) are better, but much more expensive.

MD'05 said:
I have a high arch and Dansko's kill my feet. Clark's are softer. Even the Ariot (sp?) are better, but much more expensive.

Yeah I have the high arch as well. That must have been the problem.

If you have a high arch, do not get Danskos!

I couldn't believe I was doing it, but I bought a pair of birkenstocks for rotations. I just couldn't bear the clogs. The birks are kinda like slides, black, completely dressy enough for clinic days - but I am in CA, so what passes for acceptable is different out here. And hella comfortable - surgery, call nights are no problem. If you can't stomach the clogs, there are other options.

I also wear the "professional" style danskos in box leather (= shinny like dress shoes). I don't think they're that ugly especially since it means my back and legs don't hurt at the end of the day. If you're not fond of the original dansko sole, then try the golden gate collection. they arch support is different, but they're more fashionable and are a bit more cushy.
www.dankso.com
If you know what you want and what size fits, you can often find deals on ebay or www.danskooutlet.com has factory seconds.

I don't have skirt-appropriate shoes that offer anywhere near the comfort -- I'm a shoe hog and have easily 40 pairs of shoes. So if I'm going to be wearing a skirt, I plan to do it on a day when I know I won't be standing the entire day.

I'm going to get a pair of Danskos, but I'm not sure whether to get the Professional (closed heel) or Sonja (open heel) model. An open heel would be nice for summer, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work for OBGyn (my first rotation - second is Peds). Any input?

btw - should I expect to be in scrubs the whole time for OB, thus giving me more time to get some new clothes?

I'd go with shoes with open heels because they are easier to slide your feet out of (I would always fidget during surgery so my legs and feet wouldn't fall asleep, and one of the things I would do is slide my feet in and out of my shoes).

And yes, you will pretty much be wearing scrubs most of the time when you are on Ob/Gyn.

flighterdoc said:
FYI - an open heel is supposed to be an osha violation.
Well, nobody's cared about it all year. Plus I see tons of other people wearing open heels at the hospital. For anything that I think it would matter in (surgery, OB) you wear booties anyway.

I'm think it's just open-toe, which I know they care about.

Has anyone found these types of shoes in narrow sizes? I have such skinny feet that the regular size ones just keep falling off. Thanks!

I have narrow feet, and my Danskos stay on. I was quite skeptical, as I've always fallen out of my shoes, but they do stay on. They are snug across the top of the foot, and have loose heels. They feel weird at first, but are pretty comfy. I also find that I can slip in and out of them easily when I want to - which is a nice perk for quick naps. If you wore them awhile and you're still falling out, I don't know what to suggest. Sorry.

I have prescription orthotics, so most of my shoes are comfy. Still, if you know you're going to be standing for 20 hours in a row, a pocket of ibuprofin goes a long way.

i just started year 3 and had to go from a wardrobe of sneakers/f-me shoes to frumpy orthopedic wear. So far i've been the most comfortable in a few styles of Aerosoles that do not completely make me look like some sort of spinster librarian. Also for days when you just don't care, Merrell makes absolutely wonderful (but kinda expensive, $70-80, but they're worth it) shoes..hard to explain..like clogs but with backs. kind of like what a fourth-grader would draw on a stick figure to indicate that it is shod. you can stand in them all day and not want to die. Ecco makes shoes that slide under the "hey..is that a sneaker??" radar so you can actually wear them outside your hospital sphere. very comfortable but again, not cheap.
good luck!
zan :)

I also have narrow feet and orthotics made for me. Can you wear your orthotics in any of these shoes? That would make me the most comfortable.

I just went to a shoe store the other day to try on some dankso shoes and the saleslady informed me they recently began carrying Narrow sizes. I tried on a 36 and it was way too big, but a 36 narrow was awesome. And I never buy narrow shoes.