Rotation Dress Codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For call nights--Brikenstock clogs. They've survived dozens of call nights and kept my feet comfy. Be careful running up the stairs, though...

For all other days--various Born shoes. I probably have 5 or 6 different pairs, from clogs to sandals (always ok in clinic, and usually ok in the hospital too as long as there's not a JCAHO inspection going on) to mary jane's, and I love them.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all...I was wondering if any one had any info regarding type of hair/hairstyle that is acceptable. I have dreadlocks which have a spirtual meaning for me. I was wondering if anyone knew how well I would be accepted. Will the locks be a problem? Hope not....thanks :confused: :scared:

i can't imagine why people would have a problem with dreadlocks. and if they do, then maybe its their problem...

Members don't see this ad :)
Roots,

There are a couple people here at my school w/ locks. I don't think administration has any problem with it. I haven't spoken to them at all about whether or not they have come into any strife on the wards.

Thanks for sharing. I figure as long as they are neat they should not be an issue. They also can be kept up in a tam out of sight. I wonder how they will play out during the quest for a residency. Maybe they will keep me out of programs that just are not right for me?? Thanks

rootsdr said:
. Will the locks be a problem? Hope not....thanks :confused: :scared:

I agree that there is no single best answer.

Depending on where you are at, I'm sure that some faculty will knock you down a bit on their clinical evaluations, even if they don't say anything directly to you. Frankly, some patients (and some physicians) will assume that you are less capable/smart/dedicated/etc if you appearance is outside the "norm" for what is "expected" of physicians (this goes for more than just locks). At the same time, your look (simply put) may look perfect for you and won't be a liability.

I'm not saying that the above should be the norm, but I think it would be a concern for me if I thought something about my personal look was a liability vis-a-vis preceptor evaluations or otherwise hindered the doc-patient relationship.

StringBean said:
So, I was just wondering if any of you women out there have found that any particular shoes help to get you through all the hours on your feet during rotations. I don't have the greatest back to begin with so I was thinking I would get some really good shoes but I don't know where to start. I'd assume that some of the nursing shoes are pretty comfy cuz they're made for women on who are on their feet all day... but I was hoping that some of you may have some more ideas for some cute, comfy, but appropriate shoes to wear throughout rotations. Any advice would be would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
~Bean :)

try Klogs --they're super comfortable and well designed with vents. Also have about a 2 inch heel so they give you some height

Oh, how I miss wearing open toed shoes. :(

I didn't want to start a new thread for this question of mine so here goes. What's the policy for earrings during surgical rotations. Can you keep small studs on or must they be removed. Thanks. :oops:

dangit! is there anything more stylish to wear that wont kill my feet after 14 hrs? i hate clogs and danskos are terribly big and clunky looking. why can't we wear manolo and prada? becoming a doctor condemns you from wearing pretty shoes for the rest of your career! :oops:

for the previous earring question. i keep all 6 of my piercings in. nobody will give you trouble. i even have a necklace. just remember to get rid of rings bracelets watches before you scrub.

vietcongs said:
dangit! is there anything more stylish to wear that wont kill my feet after 14 hrs? i hate clogs and danskos are terribly big and clunky looking. why can't we wear manolo and prada? becoming a doctor condemns you from wearing pretty shoes for the rest of your career! :oops:

I feel you, I just don't know what I'm going to do come 3rd year. I think I'll wear the cute pumps from 8-5, then when my poor feet can't take it anymore I'll cave and put on the clogs.

Women Against Clogs Unite :thumbup:

I bought a pair of danskos the other day via the internet. I received them yesterday. I actually like them and they do feel comfortable, but I am worried about one thing- it seems like they don't fit just right (more an issue in the toe area). I'm a size 7, so I bought what the conversion chart told me to get (size 37). Are you supposed to buy a larger size than normal?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love my danskos. I have two pair - a clog and a strappy shoe. They are very comfortable and I can wear them for 36 + hrs with no problems.

However, when I want to look professional and stylish, I found that Franco Sarto pumps are pretty comfy. They usually last me about 10 hrs max. They have all sorts of stylish pumps, and I found that their one-inch heel is fine for being on your feet all day. They are a little pricey too, but look better with skirts, etc. My Franco Sartos took a little longer to break in than the danskos.

I too would like to know of another brand of stylish, comfy pumps to wear for extended periods of time. Anyone else????

Just had to let you girls know that I found that certain Naturalizer shoes manage to be comfortable and relatively cute for the hospital. Naturalizer is a sturdy brand, hopefully they'll last throughout third year.
There are a lot of ugly Naturalizer syles out there, but I managed to find 3 pairs that are great for dress pants. (Vanessa is one of the styles) For thosed 'blessed' with high arches as I am, I use the arch support that I usually buy for my running shoes (superfeet) and it works well. Also...moleskin is my best friend when breaking in shoes ;)

I've had it for 7 years, it's small and cute. Do you think a nose ring will really freak anyone out (co-workers or patients)?

I've been wearing mine (a small, plain stud). I do, however, keep a clear retaininer with me so that I can take it out if anyone has a problem with it. So far, nobody has said anything negative. One nurse in radiology asked me about it and a psych tech grilled me trying to get me to say that i got my nose pierced to be rebellious :laugh:

If it's small and cute it's probably ok. Especially on a girl. I'm not sexist but there is a difference. If a guy wore one it would be be percieved in a very different way. Really, those things are way mainstream these days. I had my nose pierced years ago, and back then for a lot of people it was like red to a bull, which was fine with me cuz I was sort of a rebel without a clue back then.

I have a similar issue with my tattoo. It's on my shoulder and can't be seen even in scrubs. That's also pretty mainstream these days. Most people don't mind it, and patients with tattoos get a real kick out of it. (people with tattoos love to talk about their tattoos BTW). But a few classmates, the sort who identify and side with authority in all cases regardless of reason, have opined to me that it's just wrong and that I should have it removed. I'll do that when they learn to stop making facial expressions that resemble a cat's ass and do something about their tone of voice. ie. never. ha ha :)

I would fight it to the death!!! Its not like you showed up with a shaved head and tatoos all over your neck, and those stretch-wide earlobe rings!! People need to be more tolerant, and when they are not, then I believe they should be shown that their views are not the views that dictate the behavior of others. I have always been rather conservative when it comes to fiscal issues, but I am rather liberal in terms of personal liberties.

I would think it would be OK, as long as it wasn't a big bullring. I kind of like those little tiny studs, gold, silver, or jewel. They don't bother me on guys, either, but I do tend to wonder if they are gay. Sorry if that offends anyone :oops:

The thing is that it really doesn't matter what we think. The preceptors give out the grades and they're subjective. That's why I have a backup with the retainer.

Medicine is a very conservative field (in general) and there are going to be some fogeys out there who'll find it to be a big deal. As I said, so far it hasn't been an issue for me, but I'm not planning to make any kind of scene if someone does have a problem with it. I'd rather suck it up and get a good grade than piss a fogey off and get dinged. Simply pragmatic on my part.

phoenixsupra said:
I'll do that when they learn to stop making facial expressions that resemble a cat's ass and do something about their tone of voice. ie. never. ha ha :)

:laugh:

That's a good one.

I have my upper ear pierced and I have wondered the same thing, but no one's said anything so far ...

VienneseWaltz said:
I have my upper ear pierced and I have wondered the same thing, but no one's said anything so far ...

I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone said anything about that.

To give you an idea: I have one ear with 4 piercings (one is in cartilage like yours...but I don't always wear it), the other with 2, plus the nose ring. Again, nobody's said anything even hinting at me needing to take any of them out.

All of these piercings have small, simple jewelry in them, & I dress conservatively & professionally.

I've seen several residents wearing nose rings without issues but they have all been of Indian background so I don't know if there is a religious belief behind this and therefore it would be politically incorrect for the administration to request their removal.

Hey, the way I look at it, people with pierced noses have an extra baby nostrile, just in case.

OK, I'm like 41 and have a tat on my ankle and two holes in each ear. So I'm a little bit of a rebel... so what!!!... they will get over it when I wow them with my sparkling personality... :D Oh, yeah... and I'm gay. :p But it hasn't stopped me yet!!! Good luck all

DrMom said:
I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone said anything about that.

To give you an idea: I have one ear with 4 piercings (one is in cartilage like yours...but I don't always wear it), the other with 2, plus the nose ring. Again, nobody's said anything even hinting at me needing to take any of them out.

Yeah, I guess it was a lot more shocking back in 1993 when I had it done. :p

fourthyearmed said:
I've seen several residents wearing nose rings without issues but they have all been of Indian background so I don't know if there is a religious belief behind this and therefore it would be politically incorrect for the administration to request their removal.

It's pretty normal in indian culture to have nose rings (it's part of the traditional bridal jewelry for example) thus yes, it would be pretty much obviously racist for someone to have a problem with an indian medical student/doctor having a nose ring.

So--south asians get a free pass for nose rings--just another example of the many wonderful things about being indian :)

Kanga said:
I've had it for 7 years, it's small and cute. Do you think a nose ring will really freak anyone out (co-workers or patients)?

The question is, do you think it will freak anyone out. Because, if you do, it probably will. And if it's important to you (personally) then you should do like Dr. Mom and wear a retainer. OTOH, if you think it's petty for people to feel weird about these things, and you don't care what they think (ie it's not about the nose ring it's about your competency), then go ahead and wear it.

I don't know if that made sense. It's the way that I would consider the situation. :D

no one's complained about my prince albert yet

automaton said:
no one's complained about my prince albert yet

Dude, hush. Admitting that is like wearing a big sign that says "I Don't Get Any From My Patients."

a big sign would be pretty redundant considering it's stamped on my forehead

I think a good, general rule is this: Did you wear it in your interview?

If you weren't afraid to wear it in your interview, then by all means, feel free. However, if it is something you felt the need to hide from your interviewers, well....

Boomer said:
I think a good, general rule is this: Did you wear it in your interview?

If you weren't afraid to wear it in your interview, then by all means, feel free. However, if it is something you felt the need to hide from your interviewers, well....

I think people just need to wear what is comfortable for them, and those who find themselves uncomfortable around people who choose to express themselves need to be more accepting. Patients often appreciate that a doctor is not a stuffed-shirted right winger who only cares about their mutual funds!

I am proud to hear that Dr.Mom is so contemporary!!

I guess the point I was making was that if you felt the need to hide something like this to get into med school, then, at least while you're a student, you should probably keep it hidden.

If you wore it to your interview and we're accepted....have at it.

--Your friendly stuffed-shirt right winger who cares VERY deeply about his mutual funds.

as long as it is not one of those hanging down from your columella (i think thats the word for the lower edge of nasal septum) that makes you look like one of those bulls...:))

I wore mine throughout 3rd year and got 2 comments that were anywhere near negative. One patient said it was the only thing he didn't like, but that I was so nice, etc. that he didn't care. The other was a surgery attending who made a joke about wearing scrap metal in my nose; the really funny part was that the other attending hadn't even noticed it (this was ~2 weeks in). At this point, I often forget I have it, at least in terms of thinking about what I should wear/look like.

As a side note, I think it's much more discriminatory to make everyone except[/] indian students/doctors take out a nose ring, since that's basing something on race. Making everyone take it out is mostly just culturally insensitive. IMHO.

So i was watching ER today, and saw a new 4th year, Roberto someone wearing a tie on his ER rotation. Do guys always wear a shirt/tie on their rotations during 3/4th year or is that too formal?

bigbody said:
So i was watching ER today, and saw a new 4th year, Roberto someone wearing a tie on his ER rotation. Do guys always wear a shirt/tie on their rotations during 3/4th year or is that too formal?

I wear a shirt and tie almost all of the time, although not in the ER. That was straight scrubbin'.

I'm an EM resident, and I often wear a tie during the day. As an intern, I didn't wear the short coat, but I wear the long coat buttoned up. If I'm REALLY worried my tie will get in something, I just tuck it in between the 2nd and 3rd buttons. Anyone who says anything about infection risk is talking out of their asses. EVEN IF a tie is TOTALLY contaminated, there's no evidence there's an infection risk. As a comparison, when you were a kid, when you got cut, did your mother put your cut under the running water? How many got infected? Tap water irrigation has been shown time and again to be safe, and, yet, were you to culture faucets, you would be just amazed at what grows out (as far as gnarly bugs).

Why do I wear a tie? Looks more professional sometimes, and it's just what I'm accustomed to. In the afternoon, it's hit or miss, but, overnight, I usually wear an open collared shirt (often in a subdued tropical print). About half of my colleagues, and about 40% of all the residents in my program, wear "street clothes" with the white coat while working.

Our department put in a dress code, and it was either scrubs, or dress pants (Dockers qualify) and a collared shirt with buttons (tie recommended, but not required). Always, the white coat. Several people have been busting it, and they're going to get busted.

edit: Ah, I was talking about the ED. As a student, I went with the flow. Rarely did I see a man that wasn't in scrubs that wasn't in a tie (across the board). Even in psych, the few attendings I saw, half wore a tie. Women have a little more leeway, since they can wear a dress or skirt, or pants, and there isn't a great correlate to the tie - whereas one guy, who's on the bottom of the totem pole, without a tie (when everyone else has one) stands out.

In general, if you're a male medical student and you're in a patient contact position, you should be either wearing a shirt and tie or wearing scrubs.

So the next question is, when is it OK to wear scrubs? There are different standards about when to wear scrubs that vary by hospital and service. On medicine services, people usually only wear scrubs when on call (though there are exceptions). On surgical services, most students live in scrubs, though I've heard there are departments that insist students should be in a shirt and tie when they're not actually going to the OR. In any outpatient setting I've been in, I was supposed to be wearing a shirt and tie if possible. On inpatient psych, I wore a tie just so people would know I wasn't a patient!

I can see the ED as being kind of a gray zone; not really an outpatient setting, but not really an OR setting, either. Maybe that's why some ED docs wear scrub tops with khakis.

In all of these cases, it's worthwhile to figure out what the culture is in a particular setting and go with that flow.

It can't hurt to err on the side of being too-formal on the first day. If there are specific rules for that ED, hopefully they will be in the orientation materials -- so if you get orientation materials beforehand (this includes the department web site, btw), and dress code is NOT covered, then make your best guess.

There are places where Apollyon there might look like the most professional, capable dude in the place; there are places where he'd blend right in; and there are places where the rest of the staff might give him crap all day, asking if he has a job interview.

On non-ER rotations, esp. those that feature clinic time, a shirt and tie under the white coat is absolutely appropriate for guys, even if it's not required. The great thing about a tie is that it's easy to get rid of, if it turns out the clinic's standard is an open collar.

Nothing screams "clueless newbie student" like inappropriate dress.

ears said:
I can see the ED as being kind of a gray zone; not really an outpatient setting, but not really an OR setting, either. Maybe that's why some ED docs wear scrub tops with khakis.

That's what I forgot - the "official uniform" of the ED. Take a look - about 80% of the time, in a guy that is not wearing scrubs, he will have on khakis, a t-shirt, and a scrub top. One variation is no t-shirt. Take a look and see.

Oh, and, how can you tell the difference between who works in psych and who lives there? See who has a belt and shoelaces. (I'm not kidding.) Otherwise, it can be a grey zone there, too.

ears said:
Nah, it's partly because the running shoes or Dansko clogs look ridiculous with dress pants. Also partly because it sends a subtle message to patients that "I am so dedicated to your care that I am not afraid to get disgusting fluids on my shirt, if I need to." And finally, it's because the ED docs think it looks cool. :D