Ross vs. St. George's quality of education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ross or SGU?

• ROSS

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • SGU

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters
I am a first termer at SGU, I got a 24 on my MCAT and honestly feel like I was not prepared for how much work this was going to be. I really do love my classes and find the topics interesting, however, I study all day everyday to keep up. If you are afraid of the new MCAT and aren't willing to put in the work to earn a better score then there's no way you'll survive at any medical school. That's the truth whether you want to believe it or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a first termer at SGU, I got a 24 on my MCAT and honestly feel like I was not prepared for how much work this was going to be. I really do love my classes and find the topics interesting, however, I study all day everyday to keep up. If you are afraid of the new MCAT and aren't willing to put in the work to earn a better score then there's no way you'll survive at any medical school. That's the truth whether you want to believe it or not.
Welcome to medical school. I got a 35 and feel the same way.

Please go back and look at my posting history, I have never tried to make this path look "rosy". I'm not particularly proud of my education, I consistently say that people should go through multiple cycles of MD/DO admissions before even considering the Caribbean.

All I try to do is present an accurate picture of Caribbean medical school, not the sensationalism so prevelant on this forum put forth by people that really have no idea what they are talking about. I rely on numbers, not nonsense opinion.

and to your other points,
1. As I've said before, if your metric is access to any specialty you want, then you should also be telling people not to go to DO schools. The number of AOA positions in competitive positions is exceedingly small (~200) compared to total yearly DO matriculants(>5000), and DOs perform very similar to US-IMGs in the NRMP. The vast majority of DO students are limited to the same primary care specialties as Caribbean grads, so by your logic people shouldn't go DO either.
2. The vast majority of matches from Ross/SGU are categorical. According to their match lists, it's probably ~5% that are prelim only.
There's a big difference between Carib schools and DO schools though- our overall attrition is far lower and placement rates are equal to (and arguably better) than the best of the best Carib schools.