Ross University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eragon8192

Reaction score
Lets get this going :) Rossies '25!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied but still not sure if I will go if accepted, just soooo far away! I guess we’ll see!

yes I have my interview scheduled! I think the idea would be amazing, it looks gorgeous there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I submitted Aug 1, they emailed me inquiring on Aug 13, and my interview is early Sep!

Currently debating applying to Ross.... They kind of have a revolving door with application cycles so even if I didnt apply this cycle I could still shoot for another cycle instead. They don't require VMCAS from what I heard from their rep that came to my school last year so the $120 VMCAS application fee ontop of their $100 application fee isn't appealing. But, my sole reason for applying is that this is my second time applying to my in state school and I dont really care to apply anywhere else because even if I did get in to another school my sole intention would be to transfer as a second year, but with only 20 seats it's not very likely. I strengthened my application, but I'm still hindered by a bad sophomore year so it's just tough. I feel like I would get into Ross, but even if I did idk if I would accept it or try again next year to my in state but w/o being able to really do much more to help my application. Anybody else in this struggle bus or have any words or wisdom or advice??

Currently debating applying to Ross.... They kind of have a revolving door with application cycles so even if I didnt apply this cycle I could still shoot for another cycle instead. They don't require VMCAS from what I heard from their rep that came to my school last year so the $120 VMCAS application fee ontop of their $100 application fee isn't appealing. But, my sole reason for applying is that this is my second time applying to my in state school and I dont really care to apply anywhere else because even if I did get in to another school my sole intention would be to transfer as a second year, but with only 20 seats it's not very likely. I strengthened my application, but I'm still hindered by a bad sophomore year so it's just tough. I feel like I would get into Ross, but even if I did idk if I would accept it or try again next year to my in state but w/o being able to really do much more to help my application. Anybody else in this struggle bus or have any words or wisdom or advice??

What are your stats like and what is your IS. If you apply through vmcas there isn’t an additional fee.

Ya after looking at their site I realized it was either/or option not a requirement to submit both fees.
Tons of experience in all areas.
Solid LORs: 2 DVMs that have graduated from my in state and a phD professor and my manager at the clinic I work at.
All of my GPAs from the 4 colleges I attended during undergrad have 3.__ except for one where my 45hrs there landed me a 2.42 my science GPA is a 2.79 (B-) and my last 45 is over a 3.5.
I just had a really rough patch, but trying to recover a GPA from that isnt easy. This is my second application cycle and I talked with the admissions advisor from my in-state and she went over what to improve on for the current cycle and I made all the improvements. I'm just worried that my efforts aren't really moving me much higher because of past mistakes.

IS - WIMU program (Utah State University) which only has 20 seats

Ya after looking at their site I realized it was either/or option not a requirement to submit both fees.
Tons of experience in all areas.
Solid LORs: 2 DVMs that have graduated from my in state and a phD professor and my manager at the clinic I work at.
All of my GPAs from the 4 colleges I attended during undergrad have 3.__ except for one where my 45hrs there landed me a 2.42 my science GPA is a 2.79 (B-) and my last 45 is over a 3.5.
I just had a really rough patch, but trying to recover a GPA from that isnt easy. This is my second application cycle and I talked with the admissions advisor from my in-state and she went over what to improve on for the current cycle and I made all the improvements. I'm just worried that my efforts aren't really moving me much higher because of past mistakes.

I feel like a lot of places are moving away from gap’s. If you’ve got thousands of hours in each experience I think that makes up for gpa especially if you used the explanation statement to show how you’ve worked on overcoming that rough patch. I’d still apply to Ross if you want a sort of safety net.

Current student (getting ready to start 5th semester!), feel free to let me know if you have any questions :)

Hi Everyone! I applied this cycle for RUSVM and got accepted! Just so you all know if you are applying for the Spring or Summer 2021 start terms, you are considered class of 2024 :) I'm not too sure on Fall. Also, if you decide to apply for the Spring 2021 term, don't forget that they aren't requiring GRE... ONLY for that term!

Here are some helpful hints regarding my application process this cycle. If you would like to know anymore, feel free to PM me as well! :

Applying: I spoke with Mr. Nwafor, one of the admission advisors, and he advised to apply via the RUSVM portal as opposed to VMCAS. He explained that you will hear quicker that way, will save on the submissions fee, and there has been a little bit of history where students who apply via VMCAS are neglected for long periods of time and/or lost. So that is how I applied. There is a section where it says to upload your resume/CV but it's optional. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO IT. I'll explain why in the next section... If you are unsure of when you want to start (ei. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start Spring 2021 or Summer 2021), apply for the later option. Reason being, it is easier for you to request moving your matriculation date to sooner than pushing it back later. When you push it back later, you must provide a good reason and there are not guarantees they'll let you. However, there is a bigger chance they'll let you move your matriculation date up sooner.

Interview: I had my interview with Dr. Schroeder. This was my favorite interview ever!!! It started off with my interviewer telling me about herself and the school, and it was overall a conversation! Now, the reason I tell you to upload your resume is because they focus the interview around your experiences. ei. "What did you learn here?" "What skills/values did you gain from here that may contribute as a student/vet?" etc. Know your resume inside and out! Timelines included! They then ask you the usual questions such as: Why do you want to be a vet? What are your strengths and weaknesses? and How do you study? (ei. flashcards, videos, etc.). Finally, it is concluded by you asking questions about the program/university. They email you a bunch of youtube videos before your interview. Watch them and try to come up with 2 more questions. Even if you don't have any questions at all... Come with them! Don't be nervous, the interviewers are really good at making you feel comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process!*

*They do record your interview for the committee to review as they make a decision on your application.

Decisions: My interviewer told me at the end of my interview that I should hear back in two weeks. Unfortunately, I did not. I heard back about a month later. The good thing about applying via their direct website portal instead of VMCAS is that you get to follow along on your status updates so you'd know where you are and when they make a decision when they're getting ready to call. Your interviewer will call you and send you an email regarding your decision. I had my phone on do not disturb because I was asleep, but I woke up to SIX phone calls back to back from Dr. Schroeder. She was very persistent at making sure I found out that I was accepted, and honestly, I'm not even mad. Really kicked off the rest of my day haha. If you applied to a term that doesn't start for a while, and the term that starts before still has spots open, they will more than likely ask if you'd be interested in starting earlier. You are not obligated to say yes at all, or you can tell them you'd like to think about it and ask for the contact information of the person whom you'd need to contact once your decision is made. I, personally, applied for Jan. 2021, but a family thing happened and before I got my interview invite, I asked to push my start date to May 2021. Of course, I had to give a reason, but it was smooth sailing from there. By the time it got to the committee there really wasn't any remnants indicating that I wanted to start before May 2021. When Dr. Schroeder called me, she asked if I was interested in the January 2021 date and I said yes. I graduate undergrad in December, my family thing happened to quickly resolve itself, and with COVID going on, I might as well get a start on vet school rather than twiddling my thumbs for 5 months, even 9 months if I go to a U.S. school. Plus, RUSVM's program seems amazing, and I am super excited to start!

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi Everyone! I applied this cycle for RUSVM and got accepted! Just so you all know if you are applying for the Spring or Summer 2021 start terms, you are considered class of 2024 :) I'm not too sure on Fall. Also, if you decide to apply for the Spring 2021 term, don't forget that they aren't requiring GRE... ONLY for that term!

Here are some helpful hints regarding my application process this cycle. If you would like to know anymore, feel free to PM me as well! :

Applying: I spoke with Mr. Nwafor, one of the admission advisors, and he advised to apply via the RUSVM portal as opposed to VMCAS. He explained that you will hear quicker that way, will save on the submissions fee, and there has been a little bit of history where students who apply via VMCAS are neglected for long periods of time and/or lost. So that is how I applied. There is a section where it says to upload your resume/CV but it's optional. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO IT. I'll explain why in the next section... If you are unsure of when you want to start (ei. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start Spring 2021 or Summer 2021), apply for the later option. Reason being, it is easier for you to request moving your matriculation date to sooner than pushing it back later. When you push it back later, you must provide a good reason and there are not guarantees they'll let you. However, there is a bigger chance they'll let you move your matriculation date up sooner.

Interview: I had my interview with Dr. Schroeder. This was my favorite interview ever!!! It started off with my interviewer telling me about herself and the school, and it was overall a conversation! Now, the reason I tell you to upload your resume is because they focus the interview around your experiences. ei. "What did you learn here?" "What skills/values did you gain from here that may contribute as a student/vet?" etc. Know your resume inside and out! Timelines included! They then ask you the usual questions such as: Why do you want to be a vet? What are your strengths and weaknesses? and How do you study? (ei. flashcards, videos, etc.). Finally, it is concluded by you asking questions about the program/university. They email you a bunch of youtube videos before your interview. Watch them and try to come up with 2 more questions. Even if you don't have any questions at all... Come with them! Don't be nervous, the interviewers are really good at making you feel comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process!*

*They do record your interview for the committee to review as they make a decision on your application.

Decisions: My interviewer told me at the end of my interview that I should hear back in two weeks. Unfortunately, I did not. I heard back about a month later. The good thing about applying via their direct website portal instead of VMCAS is that you get to follow along on your status updates so you'd know where you are and when they make a decision when they're getting ready to call. Your interviewer will call you and send you an email regarding your decision. I had my phone on do not disturb because I was asleep, but I woke up to SIX phone calls back to back from Dr. Schroeder. She was very persistent at making sure I found out that I was accepted, and honestly, I'm not even mad. Really kicked off the rest of my day haha. If you applied to a term that doesn't start for a while, and the term that starts before still has spots open, they will more than likely ask if you'd be interested in starting earlier. You are not obligated to say yes at all, or you can tell them you'd like to think about it and ask for the contact information of the person whom you'd need to contact once your decision is made. I, personally, applied for Jan. 2021, but a family thing happened and before I got my interview invite, I asked to push my start date to May 2021. Of course, I had to give a reason, but it was smooth sailing from there. By the time it got to the committee there really wasn't any remnants indicating that I wanted to start before May 2021. When Dr. Schroeder called me, she asked if I was interested in the January 2021 date and I said yes. I graduate undergrad in December, my family thing happened to quickly resolve itself, and with COVID going on, I might as well get a start on vet school rather than twiddling my thumbs for 5 months, even 9 months if I go to a U.S. school. Plus, RUSVM's program seems amazing, and I am super excited to start!

I hope this helps!

Dang, one day too late I applied via VMCAS even though it was a little more $ than applying directly through Ross website because all of my info I needed was already there . I was actually about to ask how long it typically takes before we hear back since I would assume they process way faster than the states. I hope I dont end up as a 'lost' applicant.... I really just want some piece of mind that I've got an IN somewhere while I'm waiting for my in-state decision. I was a nervous wreck last year and I'm probably going to be the same this year

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to get worried! I submitted my app on the 16th of august and thought they sent out interview invites pretty soon after receiving the app. I also emailed them because there is supposed to be a place to look at the status of your app but I cant find it. Is that just when you apply through ross rather than through VMCAS?

I'm starting to get worried! I submitted my app on the 16th of august and thought they sent out interview invites pretty soon after receiving the app. I also emailed them because there is supposed to be a place to look at the status of your app but I cant find it. Is that just when you apply through ross rather than through VMCAS?

When you hear about interviews will depend usually on what semester you applied for. I applied to start Fall 2019 (submitted app couple weeks before cycle ended), got invite mid-Nov, interviewed early Dec, and was accepted in mid-Jan. I ended up moving up to the Summer semester after being accepted though. Fall semester applicants usually hear a little later than Spring (Jan start) or Summer (May start) applicants since they need to focus on filling those classes first. But of course things can always vary!

I applied through VMCAS and remember getting a link to the checklist emailed to me, but not much else about it unfortunately—hopefully someone else will be able to give more info on that!

@LaineyLou Have you gotten any emails from Ross since submitting? I submitted 8/3, and soon afterward I received an email from a woman introducing herself stating if I were to receive an interview, she would be the one to interview me, and to reach out to her if I have questions, as well as an email telling me they've received my application and it is under admission committee review. I haven't heard anything from Ross since, but figured the small amount of communication is better than silence, so at least I know they received my application!

When you hear about interviews will depend usually on what semester you applied for. I applied to start Fall 2019 (submitted app couple weeks before cycle ended), got invite mid-Nov, interviewed early Dec, and was accepted in mid-Jan. I ended up moving up to the Summer semester after being accepted though. Fall semester applicants usually hear a little later than Spring (Jan start) or Summer (May start) applicants since they need to focus on filling those classes first. But of course things can always vary!

I applied through VMCAS and remember getting a link to the checklist emailed to me, but not much else about it unfortunately—hopefully someone else will be able to give more info on that!

Thanks for your input! Hopefully I’ll get a chance to interview!

@LaineyLou Have you gotten any emails from Ross since submitting? I submitted 8/3, and soon afterward I received an email from a woman introducing herself stating if I were to receive an interview, she would be the one to interview me, and to reach out to her if I have questions, as well as an email telling me they've received my application and it is under admission committee review. I haven't heard anything from Ross since, but figured the small amount of communication is better than silence, so at least I know they received my application!

I got a very generic email but nothing personalized! Now I’m panicking!

@biomajor2019 Did you apply through their website or through VMCAS?

I applied through VMCAS!

@biomajor2019 When did you submit your application and for what start date are you shooting for?

Just trying to figure out if maybe they responded with a personal email to you if it's due to a sooner start date for classes or/and if you applied earlier as opposed to later when their is a higher volume of people sending in applications.

@biomajor2019 When did you submit your application and for what start date are you shooting for?

Just trying to figure out if maybe they responded with a personal email to you if it's due to a sooner start date for classes or/and if you applied earlier as opposed to later when their is a higher volume of people sending in applications.
I submitted 8/3, applying for Fall 2021!

Anyone else watch a bunch of island vlogs to get a better idea of what the island will be like and what living there will be like? lol :p still a little terrified of failing out, but I know if it's where I end up going that I'll do fine, but the thought is for sure horrifying...

Anyone else watch a bunch of island vlogs to get a better idea of what the island will be like and what living there will be like? lol :p still a little terrified of failing out, but I know if it's where I end up going that I'll do fine, but the thought is for sure horrifying...
Yes! and I work with a Ross grad and she has nothing but good things to say about the school and has been so excited that I'm applying! I ask her questions from time to time and she always has great things to say about her time spent there and the alumni seem very supportive! She said shes apart of a few groups for Ross Alumni and whenever I have a question she can't answer to let her know, and she'll reach out to them!
I really like that, because it definitely shows Ross must be doing something right! :)

Yes! and I work with a Ross grad and she has nothing but good things to say about the school and has been so excited that I'm applying! I ask her questions from time to time and she always has great things to say about her time spent there and the alumni seem very supportive! She said shes apart of a few groups for Ross Alumni and whenever I have a question she can't answer to let her know, and she'll reach out to them!
I really like that, because it definitely shows Ross must be doing something right! :)

@biomajor2019 you probably already know but you should apply for the Alumni Legacy Scholarship, $5,000 for the first semester is definitely a plus. I work with a Rossie alum as well and have been asking her tons of questions. I'm very adaptable and adventurous so island life seems like a dream. The only thing that would deter me from accepting would be if I got into my IS just because of debt and the failing out possibility. It sounds like the majority of what she saw as students that ended up failing out were the ones who partied too much and didnt buckle down. TBH Ross was my last choice until recently when on a whim I started looking into it and doing my own research and asking questions. I just had heard so many non-rossie vets kind of ream the school. But, in all fairness I work at a Banfield which has a stigma for sure as well, but out of the 7years in this field and working at 3 other private practice clinics 2 of which were AHAA accredited my current clinic is by far superior to my past clinics. We even have just recently become AHAA accredited. What I've come to find is that everything is what you make out of it and to not let stigmas hold you back from finding the truth out for yourself.

@biomajor2019 you probably already know but you should apply for the Alumni Legacy Scholarship, $5,000 for the first semester is definitely a plus. I work with a Rossie alum as well and have been asking her tons of questions. I'm very adaptable and adventurous so island life seems like a dream. The only thing that would deter me from accepting would be if I got into my IS just because of debt and the failing out possibility. It sounds like the majority of what she saw as students that ended up failing out were the ones who partied too much and didnt buckle down. TBH Ross was my last choice until recently when on a whim I started looking into it and doing my own research and asking questions. I just had heard so many non-rossie vets kind of ream the school. But, in all fairness I work at a Banfield which has a stigma for sure as well, but out of the 7years in this field and working at 3 other private practice clinics 2 of which were AHAA accredited my current clinic is by far superior to my past clinics. We even have just recently become AHAA accredited. What I've come to find is that everything is what you make out of it and to not let stigmas hold you back from finding the truth out for yourself.
Yes! The one thing that would hold me back is I have 4 pets whom I love dearly and could never re-home or have family watch for me while in school (2 birds, 1 rabbit and a dog). I feel the process to bring them to the island would be a lot!

The best advice I can give is to ASK FOR HELP EARLY. One of my friends failed out, but she never told anyone how bad she was doing until the week of finals. She didn’t get a tutor, or use the student success center, or go to any TA sessions. I know it’s scary and hard but if you put the work in you should be fine!
seriously, utilize every single asset you can and find what study methods work best for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Ditto what exotics just said! Get help early, there’s soooo many resources so take advantage of them! Use TAs & tutors, ask professors for guidance, etc. I know a couple people who failed out and also people who have failed a single class. Really all of them waited until it was too late in the semester to get help, when it was very hard to raise up their grades. Really can’t stress enough getting a tutor if you need it, as lots of peeps say “it’s cheaper to pay for a tutor than to repeat a class.”

Reactions: 3 users

I received my interview invite a few weeks after I got the email saying that my application was received. I submitted mine at the end of July through VMCAS. Hang in there! :happy:

I submitted 8/3, applying for Fall 2021!
So I wouldn't be too worried just yet! Because you're applying for Fall, they're still trying to fill up this upcoming fall, Spring 2021, and May 2021 seats! It might be a little while before you hear back. I applied back in March of this year and didn't hear back until late June because they were still trying to fill up the 3 start days prior to when I had applied.

In terms of failing I agree with both exotics and futurefelinevet in terms of get help early, reach out to professors, TAs, and tutors and keep on top of your studies. A lot of people either don't ask for help or they just are not focused like they should be and end up parting and treating school like a vacation cause they're on a Caribbean island. It's ok to have fun and go out, go to the beach, go snorkeling, etc but you have to remember to keep the balance between fun and school. People fail out in every school it's not unique to Ross and I would encourage anyone just do your best. Personal story, I almost failed anatomy I, because I was overwhelmed and to be honest I didn't seek help till the very end cause I was extremely nervous to do so and due to my generalized anxiety I ended up needing accommodations cause during practicals I would get in my head and just couldn't pull the info out even though I knew it. I also had some other personal stuff going on that impacted my ability to focus properly. Luckily I was able to do well on the final and just narrowly pass anatomy. So when I went on to anatomy II. I made sure to get a tutor and ask if I needed help, I went to the speed sessions held by some tutors and had my lab mates quiz me on stuff before the exam and I ended up doing significantly better in GA II. Now I'm headed into fourth semester and doing even better than before. Moral of the story if you need help get it as soon as possible and if you are struggling don't start to think you can't do it. You can do it, just remember not every excels at the same subjects.

In terms of interviews, just try to keep calm. I know people in my semester who didn't get interview invites till January. Some people didn't even interview until March. Generally for fall, most of invites tend to come out around November.

Anyone have any insight on when to enroll if debating transferring or if it even really matters. I'm not banking on it, but I'm wanting to see if I were to go with start date X compared to Y I would only wait a few weeks before classes start back up at the new university compared to waiting months for summer to end.

Anyone have any insight on when to enroll if debating transferring or if it even really matters. I'm not banking on it, but I'm wanting to see if I were to go with start date X compared to Y I would only wait a few weeks before classes start back up at the new university compared to waiting months for summer to end.
I think there’s at least one person on here who transferred from Ross to a US school so hopefully they will be able to shed more light on things! Not sure exactly what semester would work best, but it would probably depend on what school you plan on transferring to (how the curriculum lines up with Ross). I know people who transferred to Illinois, Iowa, and Florida. All were during or after third semester when they transferred and they either entered as first years or second years at the new school. Sometimes you end up retaking a course or two that you have already taken at Ross, again just because of how the curriculums compare.

So I was accepted to transfer but ended up declining my slot and sticking with Ross. I started in the fall and some Schools want a third semester under your belt, others only want one. But if I’m being completely honest, I wish I hadn’t put so much time and effort obsessing with transferring out and would have just enjoyed the school I was already in.
But if you’re dead set on attempting to transfer, starting in the fall would be your best bet.

Anyone else starting in January? I was supposed to start in may 2020 but I ended up deferring due to Covid stuff. I thought about using the time to apply to more schools again but then just made the decision I really wanted to start school on the island and stop giving myself anxiety in applying again.
Also to anyone starting in January do you know what out class color would be? I want to try and join the Facebook group!

Anyone else starting in January? I was supposed to start in may 2020 but I ended up deferring due to Covid stuff. I thought about using the time to apply to more schools again but then just made the decision I really wanted to start school on the island and stop giving myself anxiety in applying again.
Also to anyone starting in January do you know what out class color would be? I want to try and join the Facebook group!
Your class color should be red! I’m not sure if they’ll have a Facebook page yet but they’ll make one soon!

Me!! We'll be classmates! I tried to PM you but you aren't accepting them.

Your class color should be red! I’m not sure if they’ll have a Facebook page yet but they’ll make one soon!
Roughly when do they make one?

Me!! We'll be classmates! I tried to PM you but you aren't accepting them.

Roughly when do they make one?
Usually 2-3 months before the semester starts I would say! They should send you an email with a link to it. Be sure to join “Ross University Students” (you can join that one now, just have that you’re attending Ross with the start date as public on your profile). Past and present students are a part of it and can give lots and lots of helpful information!!

I was looking into shipping a barrel to the island and just shipping alone is ~$250. Is it reasonable to ship a barrel? I feel like all the stuff I would bring with me in my barrel would cost less than $250 to buy it all new on the island. The only thing that I would be worried about is dog food, I saw from videos that the grocery stores have dog/cat food, but I dont want to feed my dogs anything other than Science Diet or Royal Canine. How long would it take to get in contact with someone out there to order food or could I just walk into the hills store on island and buy what I need at a discounted rate for being a student pretty quick? How many days worth of dog food should I bring with me to be on the safe side?

I was looking into shipping a barrel to the island and just shipping alone is ~$250. Is it reasonable to ship a barrel? I feel like all the stuff I would bring with me in my barrel would cost less than $250 to buy it all new on the island. The only thing that I would be worried about is dog food, I saw from videos that the grocery stores have dog/cat food, but I dont want to feed my dogs anything other than Science Diet or Royal Canine. How long would it take to get in contact with someone out there to order food or could I just walk into the hills store on island and buy what I need at a discounted rate for being a student pretty quick? How many days worth of dog food should I bring with me to be on the safe side?

There’s a Hills Store on campus that’s open three days a week. Not every Science Diet diet is available, but there’s a pretty good selection both for dogs and cats. You can also place a bulk order once a semester to have a large amount of food shipped in. You place it the semester beforehand and it arrives about halfway through the next semester. Once you’re a student the reps will email you about it and place info on your class Facebook page. There’s a discount program with Royal Canin but you can’t ship it to island, you would have to import it yourself. I always fed RC or Purina prior to starting school, but switched all of my pets to Hill’s now for convenience. For bringing food, I would recommend bringing enough food for 1-2 weeks. The Hills store isn’t usually open during orientation week since the school is on break during that time, but does open the first week of classes.

I never shipped a barrel down but I did bring six suitcases down when I moved (between me and my dad). It was honestly probably way too much. You can find so much on island. Yeah some things are a little more expensive, but it’s honestly not usually that bad. You can also buy sooooo many things off of other students. Some things I would recommend bringing are any sort of electronics including headphones (all electronics are VERY expensive!), particular toiletries you like (unless it’s a common major brand), and a mattress pad. Also, recommend using space saver bags for clothing and other soft items.

To any current students, what kind of stethoscope did you buy? I saw online it said a littmann 2, is that what most people like/get?

To any current students, what kind of stethoscope did you buy? I saw online it said a littmann 2, is that what most people like/get?
I got a Littmann Cardio IV, but I think the II would work great too! I’ve used both before.

Just trying to plan for the future: do we bring enough contacts for the total duration that we are there or is it easy and relatively cheap to get more contacts on the island?

Just trying to plan for the future: do we bring enough contacts for the total duration that we are there or is it easy and relatively cheap to get more contacts on the island?
I always bring my full supply because I have kind of a weird prescription and I use daily lenses. There are optometrists on island so I would imagine you could get them—but not sure what brands and prescriptions they carry, sorry!

Reactions: 1 users
I watched the 'reasons to start in January' video Ross recently conducted and I thought they mentioned that if you start in January the time in between your last semester and starting clinicals is a pretty fast transition compared to the other start dates? Can anyone confirm this or did I just imagine that they said that??

I watched the 'reasons to start in January' video Ross recently conducted and I thought they mentioned that if you start in January the time in between your last semester and starting clinicals is a pretty fast transition compared to the other start dates? Can anyone confirm this or did I just imagine that they said that??
I haven’t heard of that before (I’m a May start though), but given that you would end 7th in the month of May and most 4th years in US schools start clinics around May/June so I could see it. From talking to uppers, I know that your start date for clinics really varies based on the school you’re going to. Sometimes people have 1-2 weeks off before starting, others have a month.

In addition to what future said: it mostly depends on your clinical school, once you get to that point it’s best to talk to someone who is currently or went to that school for clinics to get a better idea of when you’d be starting. However, it can change on a semester to semester basis. So you usually have at least a week before you start clinics but you maybe have longer depending.

I just thought of something because I was reading about that seminar, did they possibly bring up that it’s a fast transition to internships/residencies? Because that is true for the Jan class. You finish in May so you’re able to jump right into an internship or residency like the US grads. For the other two start dates you have to wait. For instance, I was a May start and will finish in end of Aug 2022 but since internships & residencies traditionally begin before then, if I end up being interested in doing either I would have to wait to start until the following year (because I would just be missing the start dates). Sept starts finish in late Dec so they would have to wait a few months as well.