Rosalind Franklin BMS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To all those who have been accepted: did the advisor contact you? Or did you have to do that yourself? Also when is a good time to start working on the AMCAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

To all those who have been accepted: did the advisor contact you? Or did you have to do that yourself? Also when is a good time to start working on the AMCAS application?
Start ur amcas application now

Start ur amcas application now

We aren't supposed to submit the AMCAS yet, though, right?

Also for those who have been accepted and are committed, does anyone know what the required textbooks are? The booklist hasn't been posted on HelixNet yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
We aren't supposed to submit the AMCAS yet, though, right?

Also for those who have been accepted and are committed, does anyone know what the required textbooks are? The booklist hasn't been posted on HelixNet yet.
So this is my advice regarding AMCAS,
If your application is complete, as in MCAT, LORS, PS and everything is ready and you dont need more eyes on it, submit it ASAP. Waiting in my opinion does not provide much benefits and IMO will hurt if you wait too long, aka until the program starts, which idk why people would do. applying early boosts peoples chances tremendously. Also, you dont need to buy textbooks, trust me

Reactions: 1 user
If your application is complete, as in MCAT, LORS, PS and everything is ready and you dont need more eyes on it, submit it ASAP. Waiting in my opinion does not provide much benefits and IMO will hurt if you wait too long, aka until the program starts, which idk why people would do. applying early boosts peoples chances tremendously. Also, you dont need to buy textbooks, trust me
Why do you think we don't need textbooks? I feel like in undergrad reading the book before class was vital for success lol, although I guess this is much different than undergrad. Also how many students that started the BMS program this year finished, and do you know how many got into CMS?

Why do you think we don't need textbooks? I feel like in undergrad reading the book before class was vital for success lol, although I guess this is much different than undergrad. Also how many students that started the BMS program this year finished, and do you know how many got into CMS?
to succeed in the classes, all you need to do is memorize the professors powerpoints/notes, thats it. From my knowledge, around 97 started, and around 70 something finished, and I dont know yet how many got into CMS, but in my completely uneducated opinion, around 60-70% got into CMS

Thanks! My AMCAS has been done for a month, I've just been waiting because the BMS advisor instructed me not to submit it. Aren't we supposed to be waiting for a LOR from RFUMS, though?

Thanks! My AMCAS has been done for a month, I've just been waiting because the BMS advisor instructed me not to submit it. Aren't we supposed to be waiting for a LOR from RFUMS, though?
What LOR was that advisor alluding to ? PM me , I'm curious to see what they said

to succeed in the classes, all you need to do is memorize the professors powerpoints/notes, thats it. From my knowledge, around 97 started, and around 70 something finished, and I dont know yet how many got into CMS, but in my completely uneducated opinion, around 60-70% got into CMS

Hey cptnjack,

So just to clarify, you are thinking that 60-70% of the 70 something ppl that finished the program got into CMS?

Thanks,

Hey cptnjack,

So just to clarify, you are thinking that 60-70% of the 70 something ppl that finished the program got into CMS?

Thanks,
I would LIKE to say that, but there's a lot of hocus pocus with the numbers that I'm not aware of so that is my best guess, either 50-70% of either 70 something or high 90 original

can anybody describe how the conditional offer works throughout the year? Do they accept you in Jan after taking the core courses?

can anybody describe how the conditional offer works throughout the year? Do they accept you in Jan after taking the core courses?
This past year, interviews were scheduled from Jan- March depending on which slot you preferred, the ADCOM makes a decision on you after your interview based on your current grades at the time. If you have a conditional acceptance then, you must maintain A's and B's in order to keep that acceptance, which is a lot harder than it sounds

Members don't see this ad :)
This past year, interviews were scheduled from Jan- March depending on which slot you preferred, the ADCOM makes a decision on you after your interview based on your current grades at the time. If you have a conditional acceptance then, you must maintain A's and B's in order to keep that acceptance, which is a lot harder than it sounds

Isn't every acceptance a conditional acceptance? Also, what would you recommend as far as volunteering/ECs and getting involved during our BMS year, provided we have the time?

Isn't every acceptance a conditional acceptance? Also, what would you recommend as far as volunteering/ECs and getting involved during our BMS year, provided we have the time?
yes, you're right every acceptance is initially conditional until the end of the school year when they review the acceptances again and grant full acceptances. In terms of volunteering/ECs, unless the advisors say that your application is lacking in that, you dont need to go crazy volunteering and accumulating EC's , that should all have been done before you get to the program IMO. In my class, most students were involved in one or two activities, tutoring, the health clinic and other things that are very low time commitment. Remember that your sole purpose is to make the grades and kill the interview, IMO the ECs are just the cherry on the top.

yes, you're right every acceptance is initially conditional until the end of the school year when they review the acceptances again and grant full acceptances. In terms of volunteering/ECs, unless the advisors say that your application is lacking in that, you dont need to go crazy volunteering and accumulating EC's , that should all have been done before you get to the program IMO. In my class, most students were involved in one or two activities, tutoring, the health clinic and other things that are very low time commitment. Remember that your sole purpose is to make the grades and kill the interview, IMO the ECs are just the cherry on the top.

When would the advisors inform us that we need to improve something that is lacking in our application? And does this only apply to ECs/volunteering, or also MCAT/grades? For example would the advisors tell you to retake the MCAT (if your score was low) prior to matriculation to BMS? Or is an acceptance to the program implying that your MCAT/ECs/experience are good enough and you can just focus on BMS grades?

When would the advisors inform us that we need to improve something that is lacking in our application? And does this only apply to ECs/volunteering, or also MCAT/grades? For example would the advisors tell you to retake the MCAT (if your score was low) prior to matriculation to BMS? Or is an acceptance to the program implying that your MCAT/ECs/experience are good enough and you can just focus on BMS grades?
From the people that I've spoken to at the program, as long as you are accepted to the BMS program, your MCAT score doesn't matter. Your official acceptance to the CMS is fully dependent on your grades in the BMS program, your interview, and your EC's. I also specifically asked a BMS advisor over the phone about my MCAT score, and he said that he has seen people with lower scores than a 500 getting into CMS, as long as they prove themselves in the program. Hopefully @cptnjack can reaffirm this.

From the people that I've spoken to at the program, as long as you are accepted to the BMS program, your MCAT score doesn't matter. Your official acceptance to the CMS is fully dependent on your grades in the BMS program, your interview, and your EC's. I also specifically asked a BMS advisor over the phone about my MCAT score, and he said that he has seen people with lower scores than a 500 getting into CMS, as long as they prove themselves in the program. Hopefully @cptnjack can reaffirm this.
Thanks for the info, but it just doesnt seem to make sense that people with less than 500s could get into CMS when their average MCAT score on the site says 508.

Thanks for the info, but it just doesnt seem to make sense that people with less than 500s could get into CMS when their average MCAT score on the site says 508.

For what it's worth, the BMS student from the current class I talked to was accepted to the CMS with a 503.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If I remeber correctly when people got their BMS acceptances last year an advisor reached out to them letting them know about their weaknesses in their application. If you check last years thread you'll see an example of that I think. If you get in and they don't say anything, just kill the interview and get the grades.

You're exactly right, people with low MCATs have been accepted as long as they have great performance in the program.

I called the advisor early May to see if my application would be complete in terms of the ECs, and asked about the mcat also. The advisor strongly advised me not to re-take the mcat, and said that if the mcat was good enough for BMS it is also good enough for CMS. The biggest thing they look at would be the performance in the program and the interview. I got recommended specific hours to do in a certain field to make my ECs 'complete', so I would definitely email/call the advisors as soon as you can so you can complete the recommended stuff before starting BMS.

Hey, everyone! Feel free to also ask me any questions, either personally or publicly on this forum, about the BMS program and getting into CMS! I have a pretty unique perspective to add to this discussion in that I did NOT get into CMS immediately after my BMS year. Instead, I was accepted into the CMS class of '21 (aka the incoming class that starts this August) as a normal applicant after dramatically improving my application in the years that followed (MCAT, GPA, publication/poster presentations). I am more than willing to give you feedback on my experience as a BMS student and med school applicant (what I learned, info about program, what I wish I knew, other random pro-tips etc.). Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far and good luck to those awaiting a response! :)

again 508 is an average for the CMS. It is historically known that the BMS students coming in have lower stats that's why the students likely go through a year's training, an investment year to better themselves academically, to get to the point where incoming M1s are starting at. What this likely means is that the incoming M1s have higher mcat scores. Again, averages are mere averages with the scores tending to fall within both sides of it. I think its better to go by what the BMS advisors say and recommend.

does anybody know what the new curriculum for the BMS program is like?

does anybody know what the new curriculum for the BMS program is like?

The curriculum doesn't change until next year so I wouldn't worry about it. Just if we make it into CMS from BMS, we won't get credit for the med classes we have taken because the curriculum is changing!

About to apply in the next day or so. Would love if someone already accepted can answer a few questions I have!

Hey, everyone! Feel free to also ask me any questions, either personally or publicly on this forum, about the BMS program and getting into CMS! I have a pretty unique perspective to add to this discussion in that I did NOT get into CMS immediately after my BMS year. Instead, I was accepted into the CMS class of '21 (aka the incoming class that starts this August) as a normal applicant after dramatically improving my application in the years that followed (MCAT, GPA, publication/poster presentations). I am more than willing to give you feedback on my experience as a BMS student and med school applicant (what I learned, info about program, what I wish I knew, other random pro-tips etc.). Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far and good luck to those awaiting a response! :)
So did you apply for CMS during your BMS year and then reapply this past cycle? Or did you choose to wait a year after the BMS to apply to med school? What did you wish that you knew beforehand, and what pro tips do you have? I'm just nervous about being graded against the medical students, I feel like that will make it much more difficult to get A's and B's.
Also this is another question I was curious about, maybe @yoyomama2017 or @cptnjack could answer this... do students who complete the BMS program and then go to CMS directly/afterward do better on Step 1 and Step 2 since you have seen the first year medical school material twice?

So did you apply for CMS during your BMS year and then reapply this past cycle? Or did you choose to wait a year after the BMS to apply to med school? What did you wish that you knew beforehand, and what pro tips do you have? I'm just nervous about being graded against the medical students, I feel like that will make it much more difficult to get A's and B's.
Also this is another question I was curious about, maybe @yoyomama2017 or @cptnjack could answer this... do students who complete the BMS program and then go to CMS directly/afterward do better on Step 1 and Step 2 since you have seen the first year medical school material twice?
So this is kind of rumor/myth or maybe its even proven, but BMS students who go straight to CMS as an M1A status tend to have slightly lower step scores because we have a bigger gap from seeing the material from BMS year to M2 year. That again is not specifically stated, but it would make sense that would be the case since we dont have to repeat the classes we take during BMS year. But that shouldnt be an issue for you since you will have double the exposure due to the changing curriculum and status of the BMS program!

Hey! I applied to CMS during my BMS year, but did not get accepted. I then waited about two years to apply again. In that time, I took courses to improve my GPA, studied for the new MCAT (took it and drastically improved my score), and became involved with two research projects, one of which was accepted and presented at a national conference. There was no point in reapplying earlier than that without taking the necessary time to plan and execute how I was going to become a stronger, more mature applicant the next time around.

So far as tips and knowledge, I wish I had managed my stress better throughout the program and focused less on getting into CMS (counterintuitive, but I'll explain). Managing your stress is one of the most, if not the most, important thing you can do shy of ensuring you study in a way that is effective for you. In the beginning of the year, managing stress was a bit easier but as time went on it became more difficult. The reason for me was that students began getting accepted and courses did get a bit more difficult (Neuroscience and Physiology are AMAZING courses, but do require solid attention to detail). Managing your stress consistently will help you ensure that you are growing and adapting in the proper ways throughout the BMS year. You will perform more consistently on exams and come out of the experience with a deeper understanding of yourself as a student (how you study, conduct yourself, and handle life on the daily). When I say you should focus less on getting into CMS during your BMS year, I am not saying that you shouldn't care at all about it, but rather that you should focus on things you can control to maximize your viability as an applicant. Don't get caught up on things you cannot control, like rumors about other students getting into CMS before you or wondering exactly what the admissions committee is looking for. Everyone has a different path to success and one persons stats, experiences, and background may be very different from yours.

I know it maybe be a bit worrisome to be learning and taking tests with medical students, but don't let that muddy the waters. It will not actually make it more difficult to get As or Bs. It might impact the curve for a specific class, but the boundaries for grading are set before the class begins. Ultimately, it is up to you to prove how well you are adapting and learning (about the material and about yourself and how you study). The exams are all fair, along with the curving and grading scale. Unfair questions are handled appropriately by being tossed (everyone gets point) or altered (multiple answers are right). The professors and students are also very helpful. These things all pave the path for you to be able to flourish in the program. You have to be comfortable being in these classes and learning with medical students because you aspire to become one yourself. You have an attenuated version of the M1 schedule during your BMS year, which gives you a chance to prove how far you have come and how far you are willing to go. Seize that opportunity and make the most of it and give yourself the best chances of success.

Lastly, I am kind of with cptnjack on this, kind of not. I think what he says has truth to it, but it's hard to say. Another thing I can think of is that the M1A year is also attenuated, since those students don't have to retake the courses they took during their BMS year. This can make it a bit difficult during M2 year, when they have to study for boards while also managing the full load of an M2 student. However, this is going back to what I was talking about earlier. You counteract this as a M1A student by managing stress and preparing for what to expect. The students I know who did that had great success. Ultimately, whether or not it is true that there is a difference between USMLE scores has no impact on what you should be doing to prepare along the way. Don't get too caught up in averages. It's like a student at CMS looking at the average Harvard USMLE score and thinking "Well, I'm busted and there is no way I can get into the specialty I want because the CMS average on the USMLE is below that." Every single year, so many students at CMS do amazingly well on the USMLE because they focus, set goals, and take the steps needed to see them through to completion. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
so there's a character limit for the diversity statement, how long should the personal statement be??

Hey! I applied to CMS during my BMS year, but did not get accepted. I then waited about two years to apply again. In that time, I took courses to improve my GPA, studied for the new MCAT (took it and drastically improved my score), and became involved with two research projects, one of which was accepted and presented at a national conference. There was no point in reapplying earlier than that without taking the necessary time to plan and execute how I was going to become a stronger, more mature applicant the next time around.

So far as tips and knowledge, I wish I had managed my stress better throughout the program and focused less on getting into CMS (counterintuitive, but I'll explain). Managing your stress is one of the most, if not the most, important thing you can do shy of ensuring you study in a way that is effective for you. In the beginning of the year, managing stress was a bit easier but as time went on it became more difficult. The reason for me was that students began getting accepted and courses did get a bit more difficult (Neuroscience and Physiology are AMAZING courses, but do require solid attention to detail). Managing your stress consistently will help you ensure that you are growing and adapting in the proper ways throughout the BMS year. You will perform more consistently on exams and come out of the experience with a deeper understanding of yourself as a student (how you study, conduct yourself, and handle life on the daily). When I say you should focus less on getting into CMS during your BMS year, I am not saying that you shouldn't care at all about it, but rather that you should focus on things you can control to maximize your viability as an applicant. Don't get caught up on things you cannot control, like rumors about other students getting into CMS before you or wondering exactly what the admissions committee is looking for. Everyone has a different path to success and one persons stats, experiences, and background may be very different from yours.

I know it maybe be a bit worrisome to be learning and taking tests with medical students, but don't let that muddy the waters. It will not actually make it more difficult to get As or Bs. It might impact the curve for a specific class, but the boundaries for grading are set before the class begins. Ultimately, it is up to you to prove how well you are adapting and learning (about the material and about yourself and how you study). The exams are all fair, along with the curving and grading scale. Unfair questions are handled appropriately by being tossed (everyone gets point) or altered (multiple answers are right). The professors and students are also very helpful. These things all pave the path for you to be able to flourish in the program. You have to be comfortable being in these classes and learning with medical students because you aspire to become one yourself. You have an attenuated version of the M1 schedule during your BMS year, which gives you a chance to prove how far you have come and how far you are willing to go. Seize that opportunity and make the most of it and give yourself the best chances of success.

Lastly, I am kind of with cptnjack on this, kind of not. I think what he says has truth to it, but it's hard to say. Another thing I can think of is that the M1A year is also attenuated, since those students don't have to retake the courses they took during their BMS year. This can make it a bit difficult during M2 year, when they have to study for boards while also managing the full load of an M2 student. However, this is going back to what I was talking about earlier. You counteract this as a M1A student by managing stress and preparing for what to expect. The students I know who did that had great success. Ultimately, whether or not it is true that there is a difference between USMLE scores has no impact on what you should be doing to prepare along the way. Don't get too caught up in averages. It's like a student at CMS looking at the average Harvard USMLE score and thinking "Well, I'm busted and there is no way I can get into the specialty I want because the CMS average on the USMLE is below that." Every single year, so many students at CMS to amazingly well on the USMLE because they focus, set goals, and take the steps needed to see them through to completion. I hope this helps!

Well your explanation makes sense! Were you ever able to find out what held you back from CMS the first time as far as grades and such? Or was it because of your old MCAT or uGPA?

No, I was never specifically sure about why. But at that point it didn't really matter. Even if, for example, they said it was my GPA or whatever, it would not have changed the outcome. We all experience times in life when things don't go our way. We are not defined by what happens but by how we respond. The followup preparation was my focus at that point. I really wanted to come out of this whole thing stronger and wiser as a result, not bummed out or defeated. I hope that makes sense. Personally, I knew I could have managed my stress better and that was a focus of mine in the years that followed. It really helped me strengthen my application by keeping me focused! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE TODAY! So happy!! Good luck to anyone who is still waiting! It's not too late to apply! I can't wait to meet all of you this August!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, if any of you are looking for a roommate for this coming year, shoot me a message! I'm going to start searching for apartments soon and I'd much rather live with someone also attending this program!

Also, is there a facebook page for this upcoming class yet?

Hey guys, if any of you are looking for a roommate for this coming year, shoot me a message! I'm going to start searching for apartments soon and I'd much rather live with someone also attending this program!

Also, is there a facebook page for this upcoming class yet?

There is a Facebook page! Here's the link:

accepted to the program today....don't really know how i feel about the program...anybody want to try and sell me why i should do this program, especially formers BMS people?

Hey all! I'm looking for roommates as well for this fall! If anyone still needs a roommate(s) message me and we can talk!

Has anyone gotten rejected yet? Or gotten a wait-list notification? There seemed to be some posts about that in previous threads but not this year.

After receiving the acceptance email, what are we supposed to do next? Is someone from admissions supposed to contact us...? I haven't heard anything so don't know whether one should go on ahead with looking for housing and grad loan takeouts. Anyone else who received acceptance this past week, receive any notification from the administrative office?

After receiving the acceptance email, what are we supposed to do next? Is someone from admissions supposed to contact us...? I haven't heard anything so don't know whether one should go on ahead with looking for housing and grad loan takeouts. Anyone else who received acceptance this past week, receive any notification from the administrative office?

Hey! So shortly after I submitted my deposit, I received an email that it was received. Just today, I got an email with all of the information for financial aid. It seems that you have to apply for housing on your own, for the on campus housing here's the application: Apply for Student Housing

And for Woodlands: The Woodlands Off-Campus Housing Application

Last thing I got this morning was an email telling me I will be getting another email in the next 72 hours with instructions on how to set up my attention email, etc. That's all I've really gotten so far! Maybe some others can confirm this or can add on. Hope this helps!

someone calm me down and pm me, i'm flipping out about this app :(

Hey! So shortly after I submitted my deposit, I received an email that it was received. Just today, I got an email with all of the information for financial aid. It seems that you have to apply for housing on your own, for the on campus housing here's the application: Apply for Student Housing

And for Woodlands: The Woodlands Off-Campus Housing Application

Last thing I got this morning was an email telling me I will be getting another email in the next 72 hours with instructions on how to set up my attention email, etc. That's all I've really gotten so far! Maybe some others can confirm this or can add on. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Just received the similar emails. Will promptly complete all the financial aid and housing forms. Last years class was 89 students... I'm not sure how many students got into CMS. Currently at 3.5 and 505 mcat. I'm anxious that I'll go through entire program and then get rejected from CMS due to the horrible mcat score. Any thoughts anyone.

Thanks! Just received the similar emails. Will promptly complete all the financial aid and housing forms. Last years class was 89 students... I'm not sure how many students got into CMS. Currently at 3.5 and 505 mcat. I'm anxious that I'll go through entire program and then get rejected from CMS due to the horrible mcat score. Any thoughts anyone.
people have gotten into CMS with worse base stats, just do well in the med courses

For AMCAS and AACOMAS purposes, is the BMS program classified as a masters program or as a certificate program? Not sure if I should choose "master of medical science," "other masters," or "certificate" when placing this program in my application.

Last edited:
For AMCAS and AACOMAS purposes, is the BMS program classified as a masters program or as a certificate program? Not sure if I should choose "master of medical science," "other masters," or "certificate" when placing this program in my application.

It is a full degree granting program with the earned degree being a M.S in Biomedical Sciences coupled a certificate in one of 4 tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

can someone describe what the conditional offer means and how that is granted after you interview for CMS during the year?