Rosalind Franklin BMS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students (or anyone else) comment on the course electives? The website shows the curriculum for each quarter and the number of elective credit hours, but does not specify what the elective options are. And when is course registration and all that jazz?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you guys receive the student financial aid application email back in February? Do we really have to fill out all of the application types in each of the boxes or can we just fill out a FAFSA form?

Here is the RFU BMS FB group!

Did you guys receive the student financial aid application email back in February? Do we really have to fill out all of the application types in each of the boxes or can we just fill out a FAFSA form?

You have to fill out all of those forms if you plan on getting loans for the program. But the first step you should do is file FAFSA. Most people if they are getting loans will need the Unsubsidized Stafford loan and the Grad Plus loan. Luckily, the deadline to submit everything is June 23rd so you can take your time doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
App complete on 12/21. 3.4/502 very good ECs but still no decision and it is past the 4-6 week mark. Definitely getting a little nervous. Anyone else??

Congratulations on your acceptance! Do you mind me asking what kind of EC's you had? My stats are pretty similar to yours, just wondering where I stand in terms of ECs. Thanks!

Is it too late to apply for this program? I wonder if they are already close to being full. I am planning on submitting by the end of this coming week.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Do you mind me asking what kind of EC's you had? My stats are pretty similar to yours, just wondering where I stand in terms of ECs. Thanks!

Messaged you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an email saying that I'm missing a pre req in inorganic/general chemistry...because I got a C minus in it. I let them know that I'm retaking it over the summer, so hopefully they'll still consider me.

Any more stats of people getting accepted rejected?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I just got accepted to RFU BMS program. I'm Canadian and I don't know how to get a student visa or what to write for social security number (since I'm not a US citizen) - is anyone in my shoes? Just curious, does "the 50% of graduates getting into CMS" hold true for internationals as well?

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just got accepted to this program and most likely attending.
Any current/future students have recommendations for affordable housing?
Also looking for a female roommate if anyone is interested!

Hey everyone, just got accepted to this program and most likely attending.
Any current/future students have recommendations for affordable housing?
Also looking for a female roommate if anyone is interested!

Congratulations! Can I ask when your application was complete?

Hi everyone! ...

Hey everyone ...

Congrats on getting in guys! I was reading old threads when I was applying and in a thread that is maybe 2-3 years old, I remember one Canadian did the program and then got into CMS. Not much of a data point, but better than nothing I guess. I think it might be best to ask the program director or counselor if they got any statistics on Canadians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys for the BMS initial contact and advising appointments that we make, what's our mode of communication supposed to be? I tried calling the advisor that emailed me about making an appointment during the time of my appointment and didn't get a response.

Hey guys for the BMS initial contact and advising appointments that we make, what's our mode of communication supposed to be? I tried calling the advisor that emailed me about making an appointment during the time of my appointment and didn't get a response.

Try giving her an email and confirm the time/method you want the communication in. Might take a few days to get it figured out. She said she was cool with doing it on google hangouts or the phone to me. I did it by calling her number.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, long time lurker on RFU BMS forums. I am a Canadian student and just recently got accepted. Since I found it helpful when I was going through the forums, I thought i'd share my stats/turn-around time for my application.

Got accepted after about 2 weeks;
Application completed email: March 28
Accepted: April 10th
sGPA: 3.2, cGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 502
ECs:I'd say pretty good, main ones would be: ~250hrs shadowing/clinical with family physician, 400+ hrs of volunteering in a hospital setting, 1 year chemical engineering based research

Being from Canada, this program will be a huge financial investment (~70k CAD after tuition and living expenses), so I would like to ask if any current students this year were given stats on matriculation numbers from BMS to CMS from last year or this years cycle (probably too early but I thought i'd put it out there anyways). If there are any M1s that came from BMS and doesn't mind me messaging them a few more qs, let me know! Thanks!
unofficially the current stats is around 50-70% acceptance rate into CMS for this year

Can any current students (or anyone else) comment on the course electives? The website shows the curriculum for each quarter and the number of elective credit hours, but does not specify what the elective options are. And when is course registration and all that jazz?
in the beginning of the year you select the certificate track that you want, nutrition, leadership, health policy etc (i forgot the others), and registration is automatically done for you every quarter so you dont have to worry about it

Do you know when you'll get the official stats? Also, any idea how this program is going to change/will be affected by the 2018 curriculum change?
The full stats will probably be known by June. The program shouldn't be affected by the curriculum according to my sources.

The full stats will probably be known by June. The program shouldn't be affected by the curriculum according to my sources.
I see on the website there are only 89 students in the class but I see on threads from last year there were over 100 students per class. Have they decreased the class size?

Has anyone called the BMS Cohort Yovanna Pomarico yet? I think she keeps mixing up BMS and CMS in her emails and it's confusing me...

Has anyone called the BMS Cohort Yovanna Pomarico yet? I think she keeps mixing up BMS and CMS in her emails and it's confusing me...

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one! I emailed her back explaining my confusion and she has not gotten back to me either.

Any acceptances/rejections? Its been 3 weeks since my application was marked complete and I haven't heard back yet. I know they say 4-6 weeks but many seemed to have heard back in 2 weeks. Just wondering if I am the only one :/

So questions for current RFU BMS students:

If you get above a certain GPA in the program/MCAT score, will you be given an interview at the RFU Med school?
How difficult is it to get a stellar GPA at the program? I know it is difficult, but I just want to know if it is possible or not...
Where are all the classes located?
How are the facilities/classrooms?
Are the professors helpful? I've heard that in some special masters programs, the SMP students are just an after thought/revenue stream for the medical school since the tuition is pretty high.
For the students that don't get into the RFU Med school, do they find success applying to other programs?
How much does one's MCAT score improve?
Is there time for volunteering/research?
How large are the class sizes?

I am a current BMS student and have been accepted into CMS so I believe I can answer these questions.

From my understanding, everyone is granted an interview to the medical school regardless of their GPA/MCAT score.
To be accepted into CMS, you need to maintain at least a B in every class as well as performing well in your interview. Maintaining a B is difficult but it is extremely doable if you put in the effort. If accepted into BMS, your MCAT score is sufficient to be accepted into CMS.
All the classes (at least for a BMS student) are located in our main auditorium. All lectures are also recorded and put online if you cannot attend lecture or if you don't want to go (a lot of students prefer not to go). The facilities are all nice and are modern. We are also building a new research lab soon.
The professors are extremely helpful if you go to them with questions. They won't even know that you are an SMP student and will not treat you any differently.
I can't answer any questions about getting into other medical schools or improvements in MCAT score since I have no experience with that.
During the BMS year, I would recommend not doing any research. There are several clubs and volunteer opportunities available that you participate in but this is not required. If you get accepted into CMS after BMS year, you will have ample time to do research then.
The BMS class has historically been around 100 students plus/minus 15.

For those of you that are wondering if it is too late to submit an application, it is not. I submitted mine in late May last year and found out approximately two weeks later.

Overall, I think BMS is a great program if you want to attend CMS eventually. As long as you are willing to work hard, you will ultimately be rewarded at the end.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a current BMS student and have been accepted into CMS so I believe I can answer these questions.

From my understanding, everyone is granted an interview to the medical school regardless of their GPA/MCAT score.
To be accepted into CMS, you need to maintain at least a B in every class as well as performing well in your interview. Maintaining a B is difficult but it is extremely doable if you put in the effort. If accepted into BMS, your MCAT score is sufficient to be accepted into CMS.
All the classes (at least for a BMS student) are located in our main auditorium. All lectures are also recorded and put online if you cannot attend lecture or if you don't want to go (a lot of students prefer not to go). The facilities are all nice and are modern. We are also building a new research lab soon.
The professors are extremely helpful if you go to them with questions. They won't even know that you are an SMP student and will not treat you any differently.
I can't answer any questions about getting into other medical schools or improvements in MCAT score since I have no experience with that.
During the BMS year, I would recommend not doing any research. There are several clubs and volunteer opportunities available that you participate in but this is not required. If you get accepted into CMS after BMS year, you will have ample time to do research then.
The BMS class has historically been around 100 students plus/minus 15.

For those of you that are wondering if it is too late to submit an application, it is not. I submitted mine in late May last year and found out approximately two weeks later.

Overall, I think BMS is a great program if you want to attend CMS eventually. As long as you are willing to work hard, you will ultimately be rewarded at the end.
Thanks for answering my questions! So I was just admitted today, but I didn't submit an MCAT score, but a GRE instead... should I apply this June with my old MCAT score, and retake it by the end of the summer and submit it? Or should I wait to take the MCAT after I complete the program, and apply next June (2018)? I am trying to get on the phone with admissions, but they are always hit or miss. Also, just a statistical question, how many people out of the 90 or so get into CMS? Thanks!

Thanks for answering my questions! So I was just admitted today, but I didn't submit an MCAT score, but a GRE instead... should I apply this June with my old MCAT score, and retake it by the end of the summer and submit it? Or should I wait to take the MCAT after I complete the program, and apply next June (2018)? I am trying to get on the phone with admissions, but they are always hit or miss. Also, just a statistical question, how many people out of the 90 or so get into CMS? Thanks!
if you are trying to start med school regardless of where by august 2018, have an mcat score finished by this summer at the latest so it doesnt delay your amcas and aacomas applications to other medical schools. to matriculate into CMS for the 2018 start you need an mcat for your amcas application. Historically its been 50-70% acceptance into CMS of the class

if you are trying to start med school regardless of where by august 2018, have an mcat score finished by this summer at the latest so it doesnt delay your amcas and aacomas applications to other medical schools. to matriculate into CMS for the 2018 start you need an mcat for your amcas application. Historically its been 50-70% acceptance into CMS of the class
What is your opinion on taking the MCAT in June of 2018, and then submitting to amcas in July of 2018, for admittance into CMS for Autumn 2019? I looked at a past thread that said it would be a little difficult considering you attain credit for the classes you take during the BMS program, and getting back into the groove of things after a year long gap, would make things a little difficult. Have people done this? And I don't mind at all going in for Autumn of 2019, i'm not in a rush, I just want to do things correctly.

What is your opinion on taking the MCAT in June of 2018, and then submitting to amcas in July of 2018, for admittance into CMS for Autumn 2019? I looked at a past thread that said it would be a little difficult considering you attain credit for the classes you take during the BMS program, and getting back into the groove of things after a year long gap, would make things a little difficult. Have people done this? And I don't mind at all going in for Autumn of 2019, i'm not in a rush, I just want to do things correctly.
the bms class starting in august of this year wont be getting credit for the classes they complete in their BMS year to carry over to their M1 year in CMS, so that credit part of your statement you can disregard. I mean you can do that technically, its really up to you, there is technically no "correct" way to do it, just depends on if you want to start CMS in 2018, or 2019, you might best ask the bms program itself to see what the advisors say

Congratulations on your acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what were you GRE scores? I already applied with DAT scored but I am taking my GRE next week and I want to know where I stand.

Congratulations on your acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what were you GRE scores? I already applied with DAT scored but I am taking my GRE next week and I want to know where I stand.
Thanks! I got a 155/155/4.5 with about a week of studying. I honestly didn't think I was going to get in, but I think they really look at your application holistically, everything from your uGPA, to your trend with grades, to your EC's. And once you get in, they are really good about returning your calls. I've been able to talk with someone at the BMS program about once a week for the past few weeks or so.

Thanks! I got a 155/155/4.5 with about a week of studying. I honestly didn't think I was going to get in, but I think they really look at your application holistically, everything from your uGPA, to your trend with grades, to your EC's. And once you get in, they are really good about returning your calls. I've been able to talk with someone at the BMS program about once a week for the past few weeks or so.

Thank you for your reply! I really hope to get in. When was your application completed and how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Thank you for your reply! I really hope to get in. When was your application completed and how long did it take for you to hear back from them?
No problem! It took them a while for me, probably between 3 and 4 weeks

Question for everyone who's already applied: It says letters of recommendation "be from the agency or university for which the recommender works or teaches"... Does this mean letters from Interfolio would not be accepted?

Hi friends,

I was accepted to this year's BMS class with a 3.6 GPA, low MCAT (literally too embarrassed to even say it on here, haha), a lot of really great clinical experience. I applied in May and was accepted exactly one week later. I am not a URM. I still don't know exactly how I got in but definitely plan to go here this Fall and work my arse off, especially since they won't be taking into account my MCAT for when I apply to CMS.

Just wanted to share something encouraging to all of you who are still unsure of where you're gonna go this year. YOU NEED TO PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. I am 3 years out of undergrad, and that low MCAT was my 3rd time (1st attempt at new MCAT, but still). I knew I needed an SMP to get my best chances at med school but even then I was too afraid to apply. You literally will never know where you may end up and that's ok! I was unsure about RFU, but after reading about how happy all their students are with the program and faculty, I am so grateful to be going here this upcoming fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Question for everyone who's already applied: It says letters of recommendation "be from the agency or university for which the recommender works or teaches"... Does this mean letters from Interfolio would not be accepted?

I sent my LORs through interfolio!

Hey! Your words of encouragement were very needed!!! Congratulations on your acceptance! That's amazing. My application was completed on the 10th and I was wondering if I should contact admissions and ask them for updates? Would you suggest that?
Hi friends,

I was accepted to this year's BMS class with a 3.6 GPA, low MCAT (literally too embarrassed to even say it on here, haha), a lot of really great clinical experience. I applied in May and was accepted exactly one week later. I am not a URM. I still don't know exactly how I got in but definitely plan to go here this Fall and work my arse off, especially since they won't be taking into account my MCAT for when I apply to CMS.

Just wanted to share something encouraging to all of you who are still unsure of where you're gonna go this year. YOU NEED TO PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. I am 3 years out of undergrad, and that low MCAT was my 3rd time (1st attempt at new MCAT, but still). I knew I needed an SMP to get my best chances at med school but even then I was too afraid to apply. You literally will never know where you may end up and that's ok! I was unsure about RFU, but after reading about how happy all their students are with the program and faculty, I am so grateful to be going here this upcoming fall!

Hey! Your words of encouragement were very needed!!! Congratulations on your acceptance! That's amazing. My application was completed on the 10th and I was wondering if I should contact admissions and ask them for updates? Would you suggest that?

Thank you!! It seems like most people are hearing back after about 2 weeks so I would wait a couple more weeks?

Just applied! Hopefully it's not too late, but I'm relived I sent it in regardless. Anyone know the latest we can expect to hear back???

Questions for people who completed/completing the BMS program: What are the steps to submitting our AMCAS? Should we submit our application early? Will there be a chance for us to submit/update new LORs in the future?

Thank you for your help.

Questions for people who completed/completing the BMS program: What are the steps to submitting our AMCAS? Should we submit our application early? Will there be a chance for us to submit/update new LORs in the future?

Thank you for your help.

Didn't complete the BMS program but I asked an advisor the first question. She said it doesn't matter when you apply as long as you apply before the deadline. She also said they'll be offering help with personal statements soon for people that have been accepted into the program!

Just applied! Hopefully it's not too late, but I'm relived I sent it in regardless. Anyone know the latest we can expect to hear back???

Well the deadline to apply is June 30th, so I'm sure people will hear back after then but since you applied now you'll probabaly hear back before then! I think people who apply in April - May usually hear back within 2-3 weeks! Best of luck! :)

does anybody know what the percentage of applicants that got in from the BMS program into CMS is this year? Also, does anybody know what the new curriculum for BMS students is going to be like?

Is it true that there are still a lot of seats left in the class? Someone earlier said that a lot of students who applied in May-June got accepted. I have yet to get accepted so I'm just a bit nervous. I did email them and they said the committee will be meeting on June 15 so I guess I have to wait until then!

Hi everyone! I was just accepted to the 2017 BMS class and plan to attend this fall.

Like most of the people here, I am using this program as an academic enhancer for a low uGPA. I was surprised at my admission to BMS because my stats are lower than the BMS class profile stats reported on the RFU website (2.9/505)

The only reason I am doing this program is because of the "clean slate" idea that CMS will look at your performance in BMS when considering you for admission.

With a below average GPA, I would certainly need to aim for all A's to prove my aptitude to CMS, but does this mean straight A's or no acceptance? The idea of not getting in with one or two B's, after working so hard is daunting

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I was just accepted to the 2017 BMS class and plan to attend this fall.

Like most of the people here, I am using this program as an academic enhancer for a low uGPA. I was surprised at my admission to BMS because my stats are lower than the BMS class profile stats reported on the RFU website (2.9/505)

The only reason I am doing this program is because of the "clean slate" idea that CMS will look at your performance in BMS when considering you for admission.

With a below average GPA, I would certainly need to aim for all A's to prove my aptitude to CMS, but does this mean straight A's or no acceptance? The idea of not getting in with one or two B's, after working so hard is daunting
My stats are similar (lower GPA, higher MCAT though); hopefully I get in too! Where did you hear about this "clean slate" concept?

The running idea within the program is that if you get into BMS your undergrad stats and mcat are good enough (unless bms tells you otherwise) for an acceptance to CMS. All you have to do is get good grades in the program and do well on the interview, if one of those two messes up then you might have an issue