Rosalind Franklin BMS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, just got an acceptance email! Took a bit over 9 weeks to hear back!

I actually got rejected last year when I applied in June with an expired MCAT score but took the GRE and was complete by late June. So they obviously like it if you apply again. I don't want to state specifics about myself but I'm the usual low gpa and high mcat applicant but with a red flag on my account.

Hope y'all hear back soon!
congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, just got an acceptance email! Took a bit over 9 weeks to hear back!

I actually got rejected last year when I applied in June with an expired MCAT score but took the GRE and was complete by late June. So they obviously like it if you apply again. I don't want to state specifics about myself but I'm the usual low gpa and high mcat applicant but with a red flag on my account.

Hope y'all hear back soon!

Just got my acceptance too!! Congrats to you as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance letter as well! Trying to choose between here or Toledo's program but I'm leaning towards RFU.

I was submitted Jan 5, verified Jan 9 and just got my acceptance today. We have 5 days to give a decision to attend?!?

3.2gpa 512 mcat, standard ecs
The deposit is $100. That just means you must make a despoit by then but I recommend you do it now unless you know for sure you aren't going to go.
That's how I saw it. When I clicked on the link it said two days...

Congratulations on the acceptance!

does anyone know if I can submit LORs that are not specific to this program? LORs for medical school can be used for this program too, right?

does anyone know if I can submit LORs that are not specific to this program? LORs for medical school can be used for this program too, right?
I used my same letters from my AMCAS app and was accepted, so it's probably fine! It still may be preferred to have specific letters for masters programs though.

you should be fine with LORs for med school, thats what I used, but I remember someone from last years cycle had an issue, just send in the lor for med and if theres an issue, im sure u can get around it

It's guaranteed as long as you're in good standing. Which is 3.0? Not sure about that the GPA

Last edited:
Hi all - So I chose to put down the 100$ deposit, but I actually just interviewed at a med school. If I end up getting in, all I will do is lose the 100 from RFU, correct? Kind of a scary situation with all of these "acceptance contracts" :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance! I guess they didn't specify the gpa requirements with you? I hope its a 3.0, though!

If I do well in the BMS program, do I automatically get into other RFUMS programs like the medical school?
There are no guarantees of acceptance to any RFUMS programs. BMS students must apply to other RFUMS programs in the same manner as all other applicants. However, students who are actively enrolled in BMS course work and meet the requirements of other RFU programs will be granted an interview providing they remain actively enrolled in BMS at the time of the interview. Admission to another school or program at Rosalind Franklin University is independent of a student’s performance in or completion of the BMS program. Applicants should contact the RFUMS program that they are interested in before applying to BMS to assure that the applicant meets any program specific requirements.
https://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/ac...rams/biomedical-sciences-ms/common-questions/

All I know about the policy is from the common questions and from reading the past threads. I haven't heard anything from the school since I submitted my intent to go there.

Hi all - So I chose to put down the 100$ deposit, but I actually just interviewed at a med school. If I end up getting in, all I will do is lose the 100 from RFU, correct? Kind of a scary situation with all of these "acceptance contracts" :dead:
Congrats man! That's how I understand it. Hope you get into medical school! Were you accepted last Friday like everyone else?

It's guaranteed as long as you're in good standing. Which is 3.0? Not sure about that the GPA
Good standing so far means just dont do anything bad in terms of professionalism, disciplinary action or failing grades, but I could be wrong

Hi all, I'm pre-dental so I'm not sure how common it is for pre-dents to apply to RFU's MS in BMS D':
I submitted my application February 9th & it was verified February 13th. Just waiting to hear back!

Did anyone here write the diversity optional essay? I'm having issues trying to figure out what part of diversity to write about. What's a good word count?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Hi all, I'm pre-dental so I'm not sure how common it is for pre-dents to apply to RFU's MS in BMS D':
I submitted my application February 9th & it was verified February 13th. Just waiting to hear back!
I think there are 1 or 2 pre-dents in the current BMS class, not sure anymore though

Saw that Woodlands off campus housing application is available for starting today. Is anyone who is accepted and most likely going to RFU BMS want to be roommates for a double bedroom?
Looking at the dual entry (2br/2ba) or the Ash (2br/1ba) model.

Let me know if you're interested. Looking for a male roommate. PM for more details.
Thanks!

Saw that Woodlands off campus housing application is available for starting today. Is anyone who is accepted and most likely going to RFU BMS want to be roommates for a double bedroom?
Looking at the dual entry (2br/2ba) or the Ash (2br/1ba) model.

Let me know if you're interested. Looking for a male roommate. PM for more details.
Thanks!
I messaged you!...I think. I've never posted on this site before haha =)

Is there a Facebook group or anything yet? I know it's still pretty early, just curious

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My application was completed and verified today. I have a 3.52 cgpa, 3.39 sgpa and 501 MCAT score. ECs are pretty standard. Around 200 hours of volunteering at various places, 2 years of research (I have presented at 2 conferences and will potentially have a honors thesis before I graduate). What do you think are my chances of getting into this program?

My application was completed and verified today. I have a 3.52 cgpa, 3.39 sgpa and 501 MCAT score. ECs are pretty standard. Around 200 hours of volunteering at various places, 2 years of research (I have presented at 2 conferences and will potentially have a honors thesis before I graduate). What do you think are my chances of getting into this program?

Reading last year's thread, I see people with similar stats were accepted so you should have a good chance!
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rosalind-franklin-bms-2016-2017.1179347/

Last edited:
So once you are accepted, the BMS team wants to connect with you to answer any questions you might have. What I learned is that if we enter BMS in August 2017, we will not have advanced standing for the following year should we get into CMS. This is because of a new curriculum change is coming in 2018. I don't know what the new change is going to be, but thought some folks might find this helpful. They also reiterated that if you do well in the BMS program (As and Bs but no Cs) and the interview, your chances of getting into CMS are pretty good. Don't worry too much about your incoming stats once you are accepted into BMS.

Congrats to the folks who have been accepted! I decided I'm going to apply to this program tonight. For those who complete the program, do you still submit an AMCAS to apply to medical school? Or are participants just focused on attending Rosalind Franklin? Just want to clarify.
^ I think it depends on what your stats are coming into the program. Should you have a decent MCAT/GPA and think you can get into other places then it might be wise to apply to other places and send them an update of your BMS grades as you progress through your classes during the school year. If not, it might be best to think you are going to CMS as long as you make the grade cutoffs in BMS and don't bomb your interview. Lastly, it might also be wise to also apply to DO schools since no one can say with 100% certainty that they will do well in BMS or the interview. Good luck getting into the program!

Is there anything on this website that shows the success rate of participants in this program? I would like to know the number of students who matriculate to Rosalind Franklin for medical school, or any medical school, upon completion of the program.

There is nothing written out on the website other than that everyone in good standing in the BMS program will get an interview. But from past threads you can gather that usually around 60%+ of people who complete (not talking about starting the program but rather finishing) the program get into CMS. [I think there was one year where it might have been below 60%]

Hey Brew, what did advanced standing mean previously?

So once you are accepted, the BMS team wants to connect with you to answer any questions you might have. What I learned is that if we enter BMS in August 2017, we will not have advanced standing for the following year should we get into CMS. This is because of a new curriculum change is coming in 2018. I don't know what the new change is going to be, but thought some folks might find this helpful. They also reiterated that if you do well in the BMS program (As and Bs but no Cs) and the interview, your chances of getting into CMS are pretty good. Don't worry too much about your incoming stats once you are accepted into BMS.

^ I think it depends on what your stats are coming into the program. Should you have a decent MCAT/GPA and think you can get into other places then it might be wise to apply to other places and send them an update of your BMS grades as you progress through your classes during the school year. If not, it might be best to think you are going to CMS as long as you make the grade cutoffs in BMS and don't bomb your interview. Lastly, it might also be wise to also apply to DO schools since no one can say with 100% certainty that they will do well in BMS or the interview. Good luck getting into the program!

I talked to someone in the previous class about this. Basically in the past, if you took a course that was both part of the BMS curriculum and the M1 curriculum, you would be called "M1A" and wouldn't have to re-take the class again if you got accepted into the medical school.

What clutch100 said. You didn't have to take the same class your first year of CMS if you took it during BMS but because the curriculum is changing, even if you get into CMS from BMS, you will be taking all the classes that normal 1st years take as a CMS student and not get the M1A advanced standing starting with the 2017-2018 BMS class

When it comes time for step studying you'll be glad that you didn't have the M1A easy year. Very tough to retain physio, biochem, neuro, and molecular biology over 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users

Was this the appointment we signed for from the email? I picked a time for last Thursday but no one contacted me. Other than a call to about the date of orientation changing.

Was this the appointment we signed for from the email? I picked a time for last Thursday but no one contacted me. Other than a call to about the date of orientation changing.

I would contact the person that contacted you for the appointment times to clarify the situation. I wasn't sure if we were doing it through the phone or google hangouts so I sent her a reply. In the end, I called her at the time of the appointment.

Mine was also last Thursday. There wasn't much new information given that you couldn't find out from past SDN threads though. RFU just wanted to answer any questions you might have had about the BMS program.

For those of you who were accepted into this program, are you applying to medical school this cycle as well?
you shoudl apply to MD and DO schools as well for this coming cycle so that you can potentially go on interviews at other schools during the program

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to this, is it necessary to enter in the classes that I withdrew from? I withdrew from Biochemistry in undergrad, but I retook it after college.
if it appears on ur transcripts i think you have to enter it, there might be a way to tag that you withdrew? best to ask the BMS program admins

I'm curious as to whether this program is appropriate for me to apply to:

I'm from Northern Virginia and my stats are as follows: 3.3 science GPA, 3.51 overall GPA, 499 MCAT after retake (125/125/125/124). URM, went to a top-1o university, great extracurriculars (2000+ hours in AmeriCorps hospice volunteer w/homeless people, RA in college, university award for commitment to service, tutored urm in math/science, research fellows program/1 publication, etc.). Would it be a good idea to apply? MCAT is low, but I'm not sure if I have time to retake. I'm starting a full time job soon because I am low income/ disadvantaged (no money to apply for medical school), and am afraid I will do worse if I retake...
I don't think your GPA matches up with your MCAT at all! I think if you can make the time to study for the MCAT and learn how to take the MCAT, you can substancially raise your score from a 499.

If you think you can pull off at least a 506, I think you would have a decent shot at some MD schools without an SMP program (considering you're at URM from a disadvantaged area). If you don't want to re-take the MCAT though, I guess this program would be solid for you since supposidly your MCAT score doesn't matter upon acceptance.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Last edited:
I'm curious as to whether this program is appropriate for me to apply to:

I'm from Northern Virginia and my stats are as follows: 3.3 science GPA, 3.51 overall GPA, 499 MCAT after retake (125/125/125/124). URM, went to a top-1o university, great extracurriculars (2000+ hours in AmeriCorps hospice volunteer w/homeless people, RA in college, university award for commitment to service, tutored urm in math/science, research fellows program/1 publication, etc.). Would it be a good idea to apply? MCAT is low, but I'm not sure if I have time to retake. I'm starting a full time job soon because I am low income/ disadvantaged (no money to apply for medical school), and am afraid I will do worse if I retake...

I would also apply to URM specific programs that have guaranteed admission if you complete the program. Those seem to have good results getting into medical school and usually much smaller in class size so you get more individualized attention!

Thanks @brew ...where I can find URM programs like that? Sorry for the silly question, I honestly am like so new to searching for these masters programs and post bacc programs. It's like there were so many resources under my nose and I wasn't aware of it.:( Are you talking about programs like Medpath at OSU?
I know Drexel has a well-known one:

http://drexel.edu/medicine/Academics/Graduate-School/Drexel-Pathway-to-Medical-School/

UC Davis also has a well-known one, although it's only for California residents. I'm sure if you googled around for "underepresented minority medical masters programs/SMPs" or something of that sort, a lot more should show up.

Thanks @brew ...where I can find URM programs like that? Sorry for the silly question, I honestly am like so new to searching for these masters programs and post bacc programs. It's like there were so many resources under my nose and I wasn't aware of it.:( Are you talking about programs like Medpath at OSU?

Here is a good list to start out with. Dr.Midlife posted it a while ago but I'm sure all these programs exist. Look at "Category 5: URMs and/or underserved (18 programs)" If the link doesn't work any more, just google the title of the program and it should help you find it!
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ms-smps-postbacs-et-al-june-2009-list.640302/

I thought there was another NY school that had a program (I was thinking Albany...), but I'm having a hard time searching for it. Give these a glance for the time being

Hey everyone! I just visited campus on Saturday and spoke with BMS and CMS faculty so I might be able to answer a few of these questions.

I applied in December 2016 and was accepted 9-10 weeks later. Not as timely as they had said, but it sounds like it's been about ~9 weeks for everyone else on here too.

The BMS advisor said everyone is granted an interview for CMS while you are in the program (this fall/winter for us) as long as you are in good academic standing (like As and Bs). Does anyone know if MCAT score and undergrad GPA are still important for us when applying to CMS this cycle, or if it's mainly your grades in the BMS program? I'm debating if I should retake my MCAT to try for a higher score or not. Do you guys mind sharing your MCAT scores and if you plan to retake it or not?

Hey everyone! I just visited campus on Saturday and spoke with BMS and CMS faculty so I might be able to answer a few of these questions.

I applied in December 2016 and was accepted 9-10 weeks later. Not as timely as they had said, but it sounds like it's been about ~9 weeks for everyone else on here too.

The BMS advisor said everyone is granted an interview for CMS while you are in the program (this fall/winter for us) as long as you are in good academic standing (like As and Bs). Does anyone know if MCAT score and undergrad GPA are still important for us when applying to CMS this cycle, or if it's mainly your grades in the BMS program? I'm debating if I should retake my MCAT to try for a higher score or not. Do you guys mind sharing your MCAT scores and if you plan to retake it or not?

Hi! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

How'd you like the campus?

Here is what I gathered from taking to people in the program and past threads. Your BMS grades/interview/professionalism at school are the most important in getting you into CMS. Should you not be able to get into CMS because of one or more of the three reasons above then you will need a higher MCAT to get into other schools (DO/MD), depending on your stats, that you should apply to during the BMS program as a back up plan. Determining if you need a MCAT retake depends on how much higher you think you can do based off of practice exams (use AAMC ones to judge) and how you stand in comparison MCAT-wise to the other schools (schools other than CMS) are you applying to. Hope this helps!

How'd you like the campus?

Here is what I gathered from taking to people in the program and past threads. Your BMS grades/interview/professionalism at school are the most important in getting you into CMS. Should you not be able to get into CMS because of one or more of the three reasons above then you will need a higher MCAT to get into other schools (DO/MD), depending on your stats, that you should apply to during the BMS program as a back up plan. Determining if you need a MCAT retake depends on how much higher you think you can do based off of practice exams (use AAMC ones to judge) and how you stand in comparison MCAT-wise to the other schools (schools other than CMS) are you applying to. Hope this helps!

Overall I loved the campus- the facilities are gorgeous, the library is huge, and everyone was super nice. I like that students from different programs (BMS CMS, pharmacy, etc) all take classes together. The students seemed to be very collaborative versus competitive, which is nice and much different than my undergrad experience. I'm excited for next year!

Last edited:
I spoke with the BMS advisor today and was told once you are accepted into the BMS program your MCAT score will be sufficient for CMS, in other words no need to retake it if you are only going to apply to CMS this cycle. Hope this helps!

Can you just apply to this program with a GRE score? The website is a little vague on this... I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT at the end of the summer, that is the reason why I ask.
they used to accept GRE for the admission, but im not sure now, best to check with the program

Hey all, I recently got accepted into the BMS program but I have already committed to another program. Does anyone know that if the "Intent to Enroll" form has the option to decline the acceptance offer?

Edit: Have to submit "Intent to Enroll" form to either accept or decline admission. They gave me 5 days to do so upon sending the email :oops: I was hesistant because they asked for SSN .-.

Last edited:
Hey all, I recently got accepted into the BMS program but I have already committed to another program. Does anyone know that if the "Intent to Enroll" form has the option to decline the acceptance offer?
If you don't mind me asking, which program are you choosing over rfu?

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats when you applied to RFU?
Congratulations on your acceptances!

If you don't mind me asking, which program are you choosing over rfu?
I chose USC's MS in Global Medicine!

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats when you applied to RFU?
Congratulations on your acceptances!
Thank you!! I have an undergrad GPA of 3.26 and science GPA of 3.09. DAT scores of 21 AA/ 20 TS. 100+ volunteering hours along with dental shadowing hours.

Is the new curriculum starting next year or Fall 2018?

This fall I believe. Not sure if the new curriculum is reflected on their website or if that is outdated. The only thing I'd change about this program is for BMS students to take anatomy, most other BMS programs include anatomy. Also, if accepted into CMS the following year, we will no longer have M1A status is my understanding and we will now have to retake the M1 classes we took in BMS year :/

This fall I believe. Not sure if the new curriculum is reflected on their website or if that is outdated. The only thing I'd change about this program is for BMS students to take anatomy, most other BMS programs include anatomy. Also, if accepted into CMS the following year, we will no longer have M1A status is my understanding and we will now have to retake the M1 classes we took in BMS year :/
new curriculum is for fall 2018 according to the higher ups