Rosalind Franklin BMS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! I am interested! Although I did choose the on campus housing on fasfa earlier today...
Aw man sorry, I got matched with a roommate already and I accepted because I wanted to get it out of the way. Good luck on finding a roommate though!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I noticed in my RFU student account that I need to make a payment for "student receivables," does anyone know what this is?

I noticed in my RFU student account that I need to make a payment for "student receivables," does anyone know what this is?
First tuition installment I believe. Due two weeks before loans disperse. Welcome to grad school! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Slightly random question, but what kind of attire is most common in class settings? Labs?

First tuition installment I believe. Due two weeks before loans disperse. Welcome to grad school! lol
if I remember last year, if you are signed up to take out loans, the schools financial aid office takes care of it. If you guys have any questions regarding financial aid or loans, call up the financial aid office at rfums, they are super friendly and helpful!

Can any previous students give any insight into the different tracks? I'm choosing between Health Administration and Population health, and just wanted to know what they were like in terms of work load and which were more interesting/popular among other students.

Can any previous students give any insight into the different tracks? I'm choosing between Health Administration and Population health, and just wanted to know what they were like in terms of work load and which were more interesting/popular among other students.
I'm not sure if you're in the Facebook group for this years BMS class, but there is a post in there where the former BMS student went into detail about the different tracks and our opinions.

My plan was to apply to ~30 schools and update with first trimester grades as I got them from BMS, however half the internet is now shouting at me saying that's a horrible plan and no one will take me.
Just out of curiosity, how does one go about doing this? I know AMCAS let's you update the application with activities, but how do I send updated grades? From last year I seem to remember a lot of schools stating they don't accept transcripts sent directly to them, only through AMCAS.

Just out of curiosity, how does one go about doing this? I know AMCAS let's you update the application with activities, but how do I send updated grades? From last year I seem to remember a lot of schools stating they don't accept transcripts sent directly to them, only through AMCAS.
for me personally, I contacted schools regarding if they accepted grade updates from a masters program/med school classes; and a lot of them did; which is when I sent letters from our BMS program director with our grades to the respective schools

Members don't see this ad :)
What stats did you all get in with if you dont mind me asking? GPA, MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want the perspective of someone who didn't get into CMS, I'd be happy to answer any questions over PM. Overall, I agree with most of the people who did get in, but maybe i'll have a different perspective.

Last edited:
If you want the perspective of someone who didn't get into CMS, I'd be happy to answer any questions over PM. Overall, I agree with most of the people who did get in, but maybe i'll have a different perspective.

Would love to get your perspective. PM me?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).
I just met with my advisor last week and he told me the minimum MCAT for the medical school is 496.

I just met with my advisor last week and he told me the minimum MCAT for the medical school is 496.
I can confirm this too, I met with my advisor last week as well and he said the same thing, I think he even said that their number was a 495 or so. Throughout orientation they said to us multiple times that this program was to prove to the CMS admissions committee that we are much more than our MCAT scores and GPA's. Those two numbers will not affect the decision we get from the committee, we just need to get all A's and B's. People have gotten in with all B's, and i have spoken to CMS med students who got into BMS then CMS with a 23 on the old MCAT.
When I was waiting to talk to my advisor after a group session, another BMS student excitedly reported her new MCAT score of a 510 to my advisor. He congratulated her for the score, and she proceeded to ask him about how this would affect her in the long run for a spot in CMS. He said it didn't really matter as long as it was above a 495, since if any BMS student gets a C in any course, they will not get in.
Also, my advisor said that the curriculum is changing next year, so BMS students will not be taking classes with medical students, but will be taking classes only with other BMS students. This is because CMS is switching to a systems based approach, and it would be way too difficult to incorporate masters students into the classes. Basically, I'm not exactly sure how awesome this program is going to be next year, because I kinda think that this might be the last year when it is truly glorious/too good to be true. The whole point of it was to tell the committee that "I can score better than these med students you admitted." Taking that away will make this program like BU MAMS in my opinion. They said they might still have a high linkage though!

All in all, call the advisors. They are amazing and will work with you to no end on any questions you have.

This really bites. I was planning to apply to the program next year for the 2018-2019 BMS class but if they dont have a good linkage then I dont see a point of attending.

I dont see how the linkage can be high after this year if we arent taking any medical school courses. Hpw will the admissions committe know that we are on par with their med students if we arent taking the same classes as them :(

This really bites. I was planning to apply to the program next year for the 2018-2019 BMS class but if they dont have a good linkage then I dont see a point of attending.

I dont see how the linkage can be high after this year if we arent taking any medical school courses. Hpw will the admissions committe know that we are on par with their med students if we arent taking the same classes as them :(

I think you should definitely still apply, but you should really check with the advisors on what the linkage rate is supposed to be. My gut feeling is that they are still going to have a great linkage, but maybe they will be like "you need a MCAT above 500 to be considered." It's just a hunch, but I think it's still worth it to apply. Call them and talk to them, they are super open to questions

I tried calling today but the lady didn't seem like she knew too much. I think it's too early right now to know how it's going to affect the matriculation rate. I'm going to call them again in a minth

I sent them an email as well. I'll keep you guys posted

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Oh gotchya, didn't know that.
Common Questions about the Biomedical Sciences MS
If you look at the second question , the answer states enrolled students will be given an interview. In my opinion RFU has a highish acceptance rate compared to many other SMPs, unfortunately we still don't know how many students from BMS will be matriculating but as blastedheath said it should be in the 40s.
Another point I want to make is that I may harbor slight positive bias in regards to the program because of my individual success given my situation. However as you can see there are definitely people who didn't gain admission into CMS, so even though I'm trying to be as partial as possible it's always good to hear the other side of the story, unfortunately it seems like not many of my classmates post on sdn.

Does anyone know how the science gpa is calculated? Is it the same rules as AMCAS where Math is included or is it just strictly science classes?

To put it this way, I was accepted to BU's MAMS program and am definitely going to the BMS program in August.

One way I made my decision is the fact that 30 out of the 150 MAMS students get into BU, they have no guaranteed interview, and you don't take classes with med students (you take classes taught by the same professors, that's it). I didn't even bother with Georgetown since they offer 15 or so out of the 100 students seats at Georgetown's med school. Also, while you technically take med school classes, they are all live streamed, which sounds a little ridiculous to me.

RFU's BMS program boasts that 70 percent of its students get into CMS, and we all get guaranteed interviews at CMS. The linkage is clearly strongest at RFU in my opinion. Maybe it's a littler stronger at cincinatti's program, or temple's, but RFU is plenty strong for me.

When did you apply and when did you hear back about the BU program? I’m still waiting to hear back from them. Thanks!

When did you apply and when did you hear back about the BU program? I’m still waiting to hear back from them. Thanks!
I applied last year, and I'm not too sure about how long it took for me to hear back... I was banking on getting into BMS, and here i am!

Hey! I was wondering if any of you who went to the program last year could tell me if you recommend I bring a car? I dont know if I should bring a car or just uber everywhere.