ROLIC system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have a large number of preceptors and between all of us we know a lot of people... Can't explain without giving details, but we've become pretty good at spotting an inflated CV. Also, you can figure out some of this by how the candidate responds to a question.

Ah, ok. I remember hearing about people lying on their apps for pharmacy school about their ECs. I thought people would know better once they're in pharmacy school and how easy it is to ask around and find the truth. I never got that pharmacy is a small world until I started applying to residencies and had people know my preceptors and letter writers personally. It's such a shame that people aren't above lying to get what they want...

Members don't see this ad.

Match Day can't come soon enough! I really need to get off SDN.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the program. Ours is ranking everyone that interviewed. Others do not.

What? You guys didn't interview any "wtf crazy got through our screening?" Candidates?

You guys must be either really good at screening or desperate. I'm guessing the former...what's your secret?

We have a large number of preceptors and between all of us we know a lot of people... Can't explain without giving details, but we've become pretty good at spotting an inflated CV. Also, you can figure out some of this by how the candidate responds to a question.

We caught some as well, I'll PM details when I get a chance.

What? You guys didn't interview any "wtf crazy got through our screening?" Candidates?

You guys must be either really good at screening or desperate. I'm guessing the former...what's your secret?

Agree! We for sure had some crazies get through...such a waste of time interviewing them.

So before I left for vacation, they were saying that they were ranking everyone. But I think they changed their mind since then. So we're just like everyone else (but still, ranking 22/24 is a pretty good ratio). I guess we didn't get too many crazy candidates this year.

Just a little over a week left to get your ranks in!

il_570xN.327532710.jpg

Hello everyone, I need some help on how to rank my programs. There are two programs that are side by side on my rank list and I couldn't decide which one to put higher. Both programs have shown strong interest in me. One is a large well established hospital, but only two rotations have rounds, both are my interest areas, whereas the other one is smaller but it is a teaching hospital with rounding activity in every rotation they provide, however, they are missing an important rotation. And I am considering doing a PGY2. I wonder if doing a residency at a community like teaching hospital might reduce my chance of getting PGY2. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Can you pull up on their program webpages where their current PGY 2's residents came from?
That will give you a good idea of what they prefer.

I have always heard that where you did your PGY 1 trumps jus about everything else when applying for PGY 2's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I need some help on how to rank my programs. There are two programs that are side by side on my rank list and I couldn't decide which one to put higher. Both programs have shown strong interest in me. One is a large well established hospital, but only two rotations have rounds, both are my interest areas, whereas the other one is smaller but it is a teaching hospital with rounding activity in every rotation they provide, however, they are missing an important rotation. And I am considering doing a PGY2. I wonder if doing a residency at a community like teaching hospital might reduce my chance of getting PGY2. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

do either of them have a PGY2 in your interest area? I know lots of people who do their PGY2 at the same place if it's in their interest area. That could be a deciding factor.

Thanks VOR1, that is a good idea to see where the PGY2s got their training in general practice.

What do they have you doing if you're not rounding on patients at the one program?

Last edited:

There are good programs at community teaching hospitals. Pick the experince that best fits your goals and will give you a good opportunity. If you have a strong interest in a particular area, not having a rotation in that specialty may hurt your chances. It really depends. One of my friends did a PGY2 in pediatrics and his PGY1 was at a VA.

There are good programs at community teaching hospitals. Pick the experince that best fits your goals and will give you a good opportunity. If you have a strong interest in a particular area, not having a rotation in that specialty may hurt your chances. It really depends. One of my friends did a PGY2 in pediatrics and his PGY1 was at a VA.

This. Also, an oncology residency director I know has said several times that he would prefer someone with a well-rounded PGY1 than tons of oncology experience. You need that general training and you need to have it before you start specialty training.

Very good points. Thanks you all guys. I have a better idea now. I guess PGY2 programs also do look at where we did PGY1, just like how PGY1 programs consider the quality of rotation we did as a students. When there is no rounds, pharmacists in that large hospital follow patients. They do all kinds of activities just as they would in any other places. I am just making sure I am not overlooking any important facts. Thank you all for help.

The waiting is starting to take its toll! AHH! :p

It's hard being in limbo right now. A lot of my plans will be decided on if and where I match, such as when to move out of my apartment, where to take the NAPLEX, what I need to get ready for it, etc. I like having stuff planned way in advance, and it's hard since I don't know where I'm going to be at.

I know end of this month is still early, but blah. Seems like all my other classmates have it all planned out and can relax, and I'm just waiting, waiting, and waiting some more.

It's hard being in limbo right now. A lot of my plans will be decided on if and where I match, such as when to move out of my apartment, where to take the NAPLEX, what I need to get ready for it, etc. I like having stuff planned way in advance, and it's hard since I don't know where I'm going to be at.

I know end of this month is still early, but blah. Seems like all my other classmates have it all planned out and can relax, and I'm just waiting, waiting, and waiting some more.

I had my last interview last Friday...put in ranks yesterday. My life is kinda on hold until March 22nd....I feel your pain.

My strategy is to load myself with as many assignments/projects as possible during this rotation so I don't even have time to think about residency stuff...so far it has helped a little :D

ha! This is my plan too. I'm finishing up this block at a community pharmacy (which was very nice and didn't make me make up hours missed for interviews) and my final block starts on 3/11 at a busy hospital doing acute care stuff so I know I'll be super busy the last two weeks of waiting :)

Get your lists in! Good luck to all those going into the match!

Get your lists in! Good luck to all those going into the match!

I put mine in about 2 weeks ago but your post made me double check and make sure it was good to go!

ROLIC closes in 1 hour! :scared:

So anyone else withdrawing ?

they said today on the phone if I wish to participate in a scramble and I didnt interview, I must withdraw to be eligible for scramble.

well i've quadruple checked this list, hopefully nothing is listed that i didn't mean to list :p

certified and ranked

So anyone else withdrawing ?

they said today on the phone if I wish to participate in a scramble and I didnt interview, I must withdraw to be eligible for scramble.

Why are you withdrawing?

well i've quadruple checked this list, hopefully nothing is listed that i didn't mean to list :p

certified and ranked

:laugh:

Same here. I keep logging on and checking. "OMG, what if I forgot to do something?!" Even though I see it says certified, and I got a confirmation email telling me I didn't need to do anything else and I'm entered into the match... I'm tired of being paranoid. Come on March, 22! :p

Why are you withdrawing?

You have to withdraw if you're not going to rank any programs or you didn't get any interviews.

Although, I was curious and was looking to see what happens to you if you don't withdraw but didn't complete a rank list. I didn't see anything in the rules stating what would happen. I just saw that if you fit either of those situations, you are required to withdraw.

certified and ranked

:laugh:

Same here. I keep logging on and checking. "OMG, what if I forgot to do something?!" Even though I see it says certified, and I got a confirmation email telling me I didn't need to do anything else and I'm entered into the match... I'm tired of being paranoid. Come on March, 22! :p

Count me in for the OCD roll call :laugh:

You people have too much free time. I have projects coming out the ying yang, so time is flying by.

Lucky you! :p

I've finished all my projects, so nothing left but to sit and wait. I'll be swamped after the match comes out though! :mad:

You people have too much free time. I have projects coming out the ying yang, so time is flying by.

I'm graduating in three weeks, so finishing our spectacular research project manuscript in the meanwhile ( thinking of publishing ?) and on that Friday I'm actually flying in to NYC to move all my belongings before I perma move across country a few days later. Lots of changes in life.

Lucky you! :p

I've finished all my projects, so nothing left but to sit and wait. I'll be swamped after the match comes out though! :mad:

Ditto on Finishing the projects early, all my publications and manuscripts are all done on my end. I scheduled my break/end of APPEs around this time on purpose so in case of scrambling I have all the time to focus on job searching!

And joe, at least you have your mind off of waiting!

Ditto on Finishing the projects early, all my publications and manuscripts are all done on my end. I scheduled my break/end of APPEs around this time on purpose so in case of scrambling I have all the time to focus on job searching!

And joe, at least you have your mind off of waiting!

...I don't even have one

So after last night, I'd say I am subconsciously stressed about this as I had nightmares all night about residencies. I woke up feeling regret about my final ranking order. :oops:

So after last night, I'd say I am subconsciously stressed about this as I had nightmares all night about residencies. I woke up feeling regret about my final ranking order. :oops:

No regrets! You made your choices for a reason and everything will play out the way they're supposed to, good or bad! :)

I haven't had any nightmares, but I'm stressing. I'm trying to keep that voice out of my head that keeps telling me it's not going to happen.

I just keep telling myself I've been working on it this long, I can wait another few days. It hasn't stopped me from having crazy dreams either :) March 22nd can't come fast enough!

I just keep telling myself I've been working on it this long, I can wait another few days. It hasn't stopped me from having crazy dreams either :) March 22nd can't come fast enough!

I know...trying to stay busy with rotation. I am gonna be at site on Match Day, which means I will be frantically refreshing my email every 10 seconds.

I know...trying to stay busy with rotation. I am gonna be at site on Match Day, which means I will be frantically refreshing my email every 10 seconds.

I am glad I do not have to go in to my rotation on Match Day. Regardless of the outcome, it will be nice to have a day to myself away from pharmacy.