PGY2 - Hospital System Pharmacy Administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papichulooo_92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Multi-part question; feel free to expand on any portion or just your opinion on the topic.

- Is there a job market/need for graduate of a PGY2-HSPA?
- Difference of someone who does a combined program vs un-combined program?
- Clinical skills lost as a PGY2-HSPA resident/graduate?
- Tips on securing a PGY2-HSPA residency?

Members don't see this ad.

- Is there a job market/need for graduate of a PGY2-HSPA? - there always will - just like everything else - they are more and more competitive
- Difference of someone who does a combined program vs un-combined program? - not a clue
- Clinical skills lost as a PGY2-HSPA resident/graduate? yup - but you aren't taking a this residency to have a clinical based job
- Tips on securing a PGY2-HSPA residency? - same as everything- network and beef up your cv with leadership/management experience

1. as above

2. I did a separate PGY1 at another hospital and now doing a PGY2 for another health system (or more accurately I'm still within the same health system but at a different "sister" hospital) - difference would be that you would be more comfortable and familiar with the hospital had you already gone through that first year there - I would say it helps from that sense when I speak with my other HSPA PGY-2 brethren about this.

3. My PGY-2 has a required IM rotation and you can have another elective to be something clinical too. In addition my staffing weekends include the Friday so I can have more patient contact time. It is definitely much less than my PGY1 but electives aside and all the other fluff that happens during PGY-1 I wouldn't say its much less in my case. Then again that's only pertinent to my experience. Your going through HSPA because your ultimate career goal will most likely not have a focus in patient care. That being said I have a handful of friends who went through a PGY-2 in HSPA and then worked as a clinical staff pharmacist after for a year or two to brush up on clinical stuff before heading into the real deal admin-y jobs.

4. As above - also showing an interest in what HSPA is and being able to have a tangible career goal helps (manager, director, coordinator) etc.