This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello!

What do you mean you're on the Nutrition track? The BMS degree has a nutrition track? or are you doing a whole different degree?

Calvangri is correct! So on top of your medical school courses, you also take 4 completely online courses throughout the year (1 during fall, 2 during winter and 1 during spring quarter). There are four tracks to choose from and you will get a separate certificate in that subject at the end which is really nice. It’s basically just another credential to have. The certificate looks just like the degree! You choose from Nutrition, Health Administration, Health Professions Education and Population Health Strategies. These classes are typically low time commitment and much easier than the medical coursework. When you’re an M1, you can choose to continue taking courses on your track to earn another masters! I’m in the nutrition track and I really love it! If you have specific questions about it feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Calvangri is correct! So on top of your medical school courses, you also take 4 completely online courses throughout the year (1 during fall, 2 during winter and 1 during spring quarter). There are four tracks to choose from and you will get a separate certificate in that subject at the end which is really nice. It’s basically just another credential to have. The certificate looks just like the degree! You choose from Nutrition, Health Administration, Health Professions Education and Population Health Strategies. These classes are typically low time commitment and much easier than the medical coursework. When you’re an M1, you can choose to continue taking courses on your track to earn another masters! I’m in the nutrition track and I really love it! If you have specific questions about it feel free to message me.

Is the MBS program difficult to maintain A's and B's? How is it going for you? And have you been accepted into CMS? (I don't remember if I read that you were accepted sorry)

Is the MBS program difficult to maintain A's and B's? How is it going for you? And have you been accepted into CMS? (I don't remember if I read that you were accepted sorry)
I can’t speak for RFU BMS or CMS but I took two medical school courses at a top 30 school and they weren’t bad to get Bs. But to get an A, you had to memorize so much more because the extra points you need to go from a B to an A come from the small minutia that you might not think are that important. I took pharmacology and neuroscience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t speak for RFU BMS or CMS but I took two medical school courses at a top 30 school and they weren’t bad to get Bs. But to get an A, you had to memorize so much more because the extra points you need to go from a B to an A come from the small minutia that you might not think are that important. I took pharmacology and neuroscience.

Oh okay. Gosh I really want to get in but can't help being so afraid about this gamble. I have confidence that I could get good grades in this MBS, but then again you really never know and that "what if" is driving me crazy lol esp having to relocated ugh. Are you feeling that way as well?

Oh okay. Gosh I really want to get in but can't help being so afraid about this gamble. I have confidence that I could get good grades in this MBS, but then again you really never know and that "what if" is driving me crazy lol esp having to relocated ugh. Are you feeling that way as well?
Of course. I think it would be naive to come into a program like this or any other SMP without some fear. But use that fear to drive you. I promise if you and I get in, we will bond together with our classmates and as a group help each other rise to the challenge. Strength in numbers, fam.

Of course. I think it would be naive to come into a program like this or any other SMP without some fear. But use that fear to drive you. I promise if you and I get in, we will bond together with our classmates and as a group help each other rise to the challenge. Strength in numbers, fam.

That is very reassuring :) If we get in, is this kind of like a "clean slate"? I talked to admissions a while ago and she said they look at everything, not sure if she new what she was talking about but she seemed shocked at the rumor of "clean slate". I was reading around and basically if you rock the masters and the interview you should be golden, but she thought otherwise.

Last edited:
That is very reassuring :) If we get in, is this kind of like a "clean slate"? I talked to admissions a while ago and she said they look at everything, not sure if she new what she was talking about but she seemed shocked at the rumor of "clean slate". I was reading around and basically if you rock the masters and the interview you should be golden, but she though otherwise.
I don’t know. I’ve read the same things on SDN. I don’t think it’s a complete clean slate but someone said that if you get into the program, they think you’d be a good candidate for CMS so you just need to prove to them that you can handle the classes, carry yourself in a professional and respectful manner, and do well in the interview. Maybe someone in the program can chime in and tell us their thoughts but past commenters either in the program or alumni have said that once you are admitted, just get As and Bs in your classes, act professionally, and do well in your interview.

How does the program factor in more than 1 MCAT score? My first score was 504, second one went down to 500? I know many med schools specifically look at the most recent score, but not sure how the MBS looks at it.

How does the program factor in more than 1 MCAT score? My first score was 504, second one went down to 500? I know many med schools specifically look at the most recent score, but not sure how the MBS looks at it.
The current class profile shows that the average MCAT is a 503 so you aren’t in bad shape with either of your scores. I’ve heard that someone got in with a 497, did well in the program, and got into CMS. But you could call them to make sure.

Hi all!

Does anyone know if RFU has a regional preference for their applicants? For instance, do they prefer IL applicants over out-of-state applicants? I'm very interested in this program, and I'm working on my application now. I'm from VA. Where's everyone else applying from?

Hi all!

Does anyone know if RFU has a regional preference for their applicants? For instance, do they prefer IL applicants over out-of-state applicants? I'm very interested in this program, and I'm working on my application now. I'm from VA. Where's everyone else applying from?

When the committee evaluates you, they will not know anything about you except your resume. I talked to my advisor about this. Anything about your location and hometown is not known to them, so there is absolutely no preference for in state vs. out of state. I would say a good portion of our class is not from Illinois, there are a lot of people from California. Definitely apply for the program! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion the beginning of the year is the most difficult part to BMS. When I spoke to the program head over the phone during the summer prior to my BMS year, he basically said that "We will put your BMS group through a few days of orientation, and then we are throwing you into the deep end." This is not to say that the advisors/various resources at RFUMS abandoned us, because that is definitely not the case. Everyone was super helpful and wants the BMS students to succeed, but it's just a really difficult transition for many people coming from a semi-laid back undergrad experience, to a difficult medical school curriculum. I've maintained all B's in my medical school courses, and A's in every other course (health administration track courses, and topics in physiology). This has been difficult in my opinion, because i went from studying for around 3/4 hours a day in undergrad, to 14 hours a day in BMS. And it's not just about the amount of time you put in, it's about how you study. Luckily, there are plenty of people here at RFU that will teach you "how to learn." You'll be fine, you just need to be able to adapt to the situation, and put forth 110% effort for one year.

That is very reassuring :) If we get in, is this kind of like a "clean slate"? I talked to admissions a while ago and she said they look at everything, not sure if she new what she was talking about but she seemed shocked at the rumor of "clean slate". I was reading around and basically if you rock the masters and the interview you should be golden, but she thought otherwise.
Speaking from my BMS cohort, BMS is sort of a clean slate...for your grades/MCAT. If you committed like 4 felonies or something, then you are kind of screwed. You need the basic premed stuff, like shadowing and volunteering and such, and good LOR's. Also it's not a clean slate if you don't get into CMS obviously, since if you apply to any other med school after rejection from CMS, all your grades will follow you.

I don't think they will care about your MCAT score going down from a 504 to a 500 too much. This is just my opinion, but if you got a 504, that means you obviously have the capability of succeeding on a difficult test, and that should speak to the BMS admissions committee. And once you are in BMS, your MCAT isn't going to matter to the CMS adcoms. As i've said earlier in the thread, i've been conditionally accepted with a 497 MCAT.

Any scholarship opportunities available for CMS/BMS students?
I don't think there are any scholarships for BMS students, but there are definitely scholarships for CMS students. If you would like an alternative to the BMS program, look into the PMP or Pre-Matriculation program. I believe this program is designed for students with below average grades, from low income/under-represented areas that would like to take medical school classes for possible admission into CMS. The program is free, but it is quite different from BMS, and I really have no idea how it will be structured next year. Plenty of information about the program is on the RFUMS website. Some of my friends who are in BMS right now applied to PMP first, and they were rejected from PMP during the first few days of orientation for BMS.

Hi all!

I don't think RFU has any preference for in state/out of states, but they do manage to keep a 50/50 in state/out of state ratio of students for BMS. In my opinion, they probably accept all of the strong applicants, and put the "in-between" applicants on a waitlist. Then once they start pulling off the waitlist they'll attempt to reach the 50/50 out of state/in state mark. That's just speculation though. The 50/50 could have just been achieved by chance!

And for CMS, I don't think they have any preference, considering around 30% of this year's M1 class is in state.

Reactions: 3 users
All kinds of volunteering will help! I wouldn’t say that the amount of volunteer hours you have will be the difference between you getting accepted or rejected from this program. They are really just looking for a well rounded applicant with experience in many different areas. I would say the 200 hours you have now is a great number! They definitely like to see that and of course it will be looked at favorably. I’m just speaking from my experience with talking to Admissions advisors, and them telling me that they like to also see nonmedical volunteering in the community. They are usually pretty nice about it though and will recommend a certain number of hours if they feel you don’t have enough. Also, it’s optional to do them but would be best to obviously. Hope that helps!
Are you referring to volunteering to get into the BMS program or from the BMS program into CMS??

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email last week that says it should take 2-6 weeks for my decision. To folks that have heard back: has it generally been on the 2 or 6 week end?

I got an email last week that says it should take 2-6 weeks for my decision. To folks that have heard back: has it generally been on the 2 or 6 week end?
I also received this email and am interested in what others have to say.

I’m pretty sure committees meet once a month so it would depend on when you submit your application. I heard back at the beginning of the 3rd week of the month so I believe if your application was verified (which took mine about a week) then your application will be reviewed at the following committee meeting.

Has anyone applied with a GRE score? If so anyone know the average score accepted into the program?

Do any former students have any opinion as to how this program may help gain admission to other medical schools during the same year application cycle, or do the other schools want to see a full year of great before considering a student for admission?

how long does it take for your application to be complete after you submit the application? I sent the transcripts and LORs this last week and was received and I submitted after everything was received? Im worried I might be a bit late after everything is said and done

Hey guys! So, I'm interested in potentially applying to this program, but I have a 2.9 gpa from a prestigious university, a 496 mcat, and A LOT of extracurriculars (several years of research with publication, lots of volunteering, leadership, shadowing, etc). Do you think it would benefit me to complete this semester with a 3.0 and retake the mcat (scoring ~510) before I apply to this program? So, it would be very close to the deadline by the time I apply. Or do you think I should just give it a shot with what i have currently? I did actually apply to CMS this cycle and just recently got rejected, but I would really love to attend. Thanks in advance for any help!

I think the MCAT part would help a lot - I'm not sure how the early vs. late application for this works. I think you need to get verified as well - i just applied and I don't know if my application is under review or not. Are you from Illinois? also did u already graduate?

I think the MCAT part would help a lot - I'm not sure how the early vs. late application for this works. I think you need to get verified as well - i just applied and I don't know if my application is under review or not. Are you from Illinois? also did u already graduate?
I'm out of state! Just afraid I won't get in since my stats are below their listed averages, but also don't want to wait too long and ruin my chances that way????

Hey guys! So, I'm interested in potentially applying to this program, but I have a 2.9 gpa from a prestigious university, a 496 mcat, and A LOT of extracurriculars (several years of research with publication, lots of volunteering, leadership, shadowing, etc). Do you think it would benefit me to complete this semester with a 3.0 and retake the mcat (scoring ~510) before I apply to this program? So, it would be very close to the deadline by the time I apply. Or do you think I should just give it a shot with what i have currently? I did actually apply to CMS this cycle and just recently got rejected, but I would really love to attend. Thanks in advance for any help!
I would just apply now. All of those things you are doing sound good. If you don’t make it into the program then follow through with the classes and MCAT retake. It takes awhile for your app to get verified so the sooner you apply, the better.

I would just apply now. All of those things you are doing sound good. If you don’t make it into the program then follow through with the classes and MCAT retake. It takes awhile for your app to get verified so the sooner you apply, the better.
Forgot to mention in previous reply, but I would be graduating this semester (end of April) and applying for the next cycle again this summer. Do you think I should call them and see if they give any advice? I just don't want to be rejected before the potential retake because this might be my best bet!!

Forgot to mention in previous reply, but I would be graduating this semester (end of April) and applying for the next cycle again this summer. Do you think I should call them and see if they give any advice? I just don't want to be rejected before the potential retake because this might be my best bet!!
I’d call them. They are going to give you the most accurate information.

I am def no expert. However, I remember reading past BMS threads that several 2.9ish gpa applicants got in so I def think you have a decent shot. The median GPA is a 3.2 so you are not that far off. Good luck.

Although I posted my perspective earlier, I'll note that I was DENIED from CMS. It was likely due to a C grade in one of the Fall classes. I am still in the program and plan to finish and I will spend a gap year to reapply. Regardless, the knowledge and experience that I gained here was invaluable and I can provide a more detailed look in PMs.
Did you interview for CMS?

Yes, I dont believe my issue was the MMI because I felt confident after, and I have good healthcare exp that allowed me to be comfortable with all 7 scenarios. The interview was really NOT as nerve wrecking as it may seem.

For me and many other classmates, it came down to grades. I strongly believe most rejections to CMS were due to grades rather than a poor MMI. In recent times CMS has been getting flak because of low Step 1 scores, and this may be due to the BMS med students. Perhaps they want to maintain strict grade requirements to increase their average Step scores. Despite my experience, this is a valuable program and if you truly apply yourself you will succeed.
Do you think this will affect the linkage from BMS? Would you say the material and tests are def doable if you work
Hard? I would love to PM you if possible? I am an older applicant and this prob would be my last shot at med school. However, I am a little scared of the uncertainty and the debt.

I'm out of state! Just afraid I won't get in since my stats are below their listed averages, but also don't want to wait too long and ruin my chances that way????

I have no idea to be honest, my stats are above average and I think i'm not going not get in

During my friend's interview they said that CMS's step scores were actually above the national average. Talking to one of my M1A friends (person who did BMS and now takes 1/4th of an M1 course load) he said that BMS students would usually get lower step scores than usual. He attributed it to the fact that since BMS students basically took the didactic portion of med school over 3 years, it leads to a laid back M1A year coming from an extremely stressful BMS year, and then once STEP preparation comes around during M2 year it gets really tough for past BMS students.
Luckily, the M1A thing is now out of the window due to the new curriculum next year, thank god. Reason why I say this is because I would much rather retake these difficult M1 classes, and really hammer the material into my head, and then go and kill the STEP exam. Also, M1A year is awesome in the fact that it seems really chill for the ones who participate in it, but from my perspective it doesn't look like how med school is supposed to look. It's too laid back.
If you come here, do well in BMS, get into CMS (or go to any other med school), you'll do great because of the amazing work ethic you have developed, along with the huge amount of knowledge you have gained over the year. As @Superrambo said,

When do you get interviewed for the CMS medical school if u are in the BMS program? If you get a 4.0 the first semester, are things looking good for you or what would u say? I my grades are below average for the accepted CMS class and my MCAT is average or slightly below average I think as well.

When do you get interviewed for the CMS medical school if u are in the BMS program? If you get a 4.0 the first semester, are things looking good for you or what would u say? I my grades are below average for the accepted CMS class and my MCAT is average or slightly below average I think as well.
So there are 4 interview dates, and they space them out from January to February if I remember correctly. They space the interview dates out well so they don't coincide with exams. If you get a 4.0 for the first and second quarter, i'd say you have a very high chance of matriculating (as long as you do well in the interview and have a 496+ MCAT/the advisors told you that your MCAT was good). Basically, once the advisors tell you that your MCAT is fine, it doesn't matter anymore. You could have a 528, and get a C in one of the classes and you'll still get denied from my understanding. And your uGPA doesn't matter once you are in, it's all about your BMS performance.

Take this all with a grain of salt though, i don't know what is going to happen for next year's class. I assume it will be the same as this year. I was accepted to CMS with all B's in the med school classes, a 497 MCAT, and my first quarter GPA at BMS is probably around a 3.4 or something lol...

So there are 4 interview dates, and they space them out from January to February if I remember correctly. They space the interview dates out well so they don't coincide with exams. If you get a 4.0 for the first and second quarter, i'd say you have a very high chance of matriculating (as long as you do well in the interview and have a 496+ MCAT/the advisors told you that your MCAT was good). Basically, once the advisors tell you that your MCAT is fine, it doesn't matter anymore. You could have a 528, and get a C in one of the classes and you'll still get denied from my understanding. And your uGPA doesn't matter once you are in, it's all about your BMS performance.

Take this all with a grain of salt though, i don't know what is going to happen for next year's class. I assume it will be the same as this year. I was accepted to CMS with all B's in the med school classes, a 497 MCAT, and my first quarter GPA at BMS is probably around a 3.4 or something lol...

Oh the BMS is graded by quarters? I see - do you think I'll get accepted with a 506 and 3.3-3.4 GPA into the program? Im 26 and its been few years since college.

also do most people live on campus or outside

Oh the BMS is graded by quarters? I see - do you think I'll get accepted with a 506 and 3.3-3.4 GPA into the program? Im 26 and its been few years since college.
Yes I think you are fine with your stats, and most people live in the on campus dorms, or the woodlands. They are basically the same, but you can look online at the RFUMS website to find out more.

Yes I think you are fine with your stats, and most people live in the on campus dorms, or the woodlands. They are basically the same, but you can look online at the RFUMS website to find out more.

do you think commuting 30 min to the campus would hurt my academics/chances? I just want to save $

do you think commuting 30 min to the campus would hurt my academics/chances? I just want to save $
Personally I wouldn't do that since I can only study in libraries. I like to use my home for rest and relaxation, not studying/working, but this is all up to you. If you are able to study for 12 to 14 hours a day at home, or are up for the hour of commuting each day, go for it! I do have some friends in the BMS program that live in the city of Chicago and commute. The lectures are all recorded, and they pop up online usually 2 or 3 hours after the lecture has happened. The only mandatory classes are in topics in physiology (the BMS only class), and it's only "mandatory" when there are clicker quizzes during class. You can skip and miss the points, but i wouldn't do that.

Personally I wouldn't do that since I can only study in libraries. I like to use my home for rest and relaxation, not studying/working, but this is all up to you. If you are able to study for 12 to 14 hours a day at home, or are up for the hour of commuting each day, go for it! I do have some friends in the BMS program that live in the city of Chicago and commute. The lectures are all recorded, and they pop up online usually 2 or 3 hours after the lecture has happened. The only mandatory classes are in topics in physiology (the BMS only class), and it's only "mandatory" when there are clicker quizzes during class. You can skip and miss the points, but i wouldn't do that.
I never really learn much sitting in class. Is it looked down upon skipping class and learning the material on your own? In addition I have heard that textbooks are really not needed everything tested will be in the lecture notes. Is this true?

does the faculty dislike students who do not show up to lecture and study at home? I'm assuming building rapport will be beneficial for getting into CMS. Also, is there a chance you could work part-time during the masters or no? How busy were you

Do you think this will affect the linkage from BMS? Would you say the material and tests are def doable if you work
Hard? I would love to PM you if possible? I am an older applicant and this prob would be my last shot at med school. However, I am a little scared of the uncertainty and the debt.

how old are you? I'm an older applicant and I'm worried as well lol

I never really learn much sitting in class. Is it looked down upon skipping class and learning the material on your own? In addition I have heard that textbooks are really not needed everything tested will be in the lecture notes. Is this true?
In my opinion class in general, whether it be med school or undergrad, is useless. I attended classes for a little while and was doing very poorly, so i stopped going and started doing much better. RFU has advisors that are legitimately only here to teach students "how to learn," and they are amazing. They actually encouraged me to stop going to class! It is not looked down at to learn the material on your own, and the textbooks are not necessary in my opinion. You'll get some M2's and M1A TA's raving about castanzo's physio textbook, but i didn't find it useful. Practice problems are the best way to study.

does the faculty dislike students who do not show up to lecture and study at home? I'm assuming building rapport will be beneficial for getting into CMS. Also, is there a chance you could work part-time during the masters or no? How busy were you
Best way to build rapport is by visiting teachers during office hours and asking questions about the material. If a professor asks if I go to class when I attend their office hours, which they rarely do, I just simply tell them that I don't go to class because I like to go at my own pace, and they talk too fast lol. Also, I've barely attended class and the teachers know me really well since I'm always in office hours. The teachers aren't going to get to know you by possibly seeing you sit in their class.
I don't know a single BMS student that works, and I would highly advise against it. It sucks to say, but if you are short on money, take out more loans. Don't sacrifice study time.
Also, building a connection with professors/getting involved on campus is said to boost your chances. I'd like to think that it helped me get the conditional acceptance, but I have friends that didn't join a club, haven't visited a professor once, have the same grades as me, and have been conditionally accepted. Every applicant is different though, so they could have had something stellar in their EC's. It's so hard to gauge.
How busy am I: I'm in the lib for 14 hours a day, i take about 2 hours a day for lunch and dinner, and half an hour for exercising. its great........

In my opinion class in general, whether it be med school or undergrad, is useless. I attended classes for a little while and was doing very poorly, so i stopped going and started doing much better. RFU has advisors that are legitimately only here to teach students "how to learn," and they are amazing. They actually encouraged me to stop going to class! It is not looked down at to learn the material on your own, and the textbooks are not necessary in my opinion. You'll get some M2's and M1A TA's raving about castanzo's physio textbook, but i didn't find it useful. Practice problems are the best way to study.

Best way to build rapport is by visiting teachers during office hours and asking questions about the material. If a professor asks if I go to class when I attend their office hours, which they rarely do, I just simply tell them that I don't go to class because I like to go at my own pace, and they talk too fast lol. Also, I've barely attended class and the teachers know me really well since I'm always in office hours. The teachers aren't going to get to know you by possibly seeing you sit in their class.
I don't know a single BMS student that works, and I would highly advise against it. It sucks to say, but if you are short on money, take out more loans. Don't sacrifice study time.
Also, building a connection with professors/getting involved on campus is said to boost your chances. I'd like to think that it helped me get the conditional acceptance, but I have friends that didn't join a club, haven't visited a professor once, have the same grades as me, and have been conditionally accepted. Every applicant is different though, so they could have had something stellar in their EC's. It's so hard to gauge.
How busy am I: I'm in the lib for 14 hours a day, i take about 2 hours a day for lunch and dinner, and half an hour for exercising. its great........

thanks for the response my man! what does the conditionally acceptation depend on? also, did u room with other people from the class? I really hope i get into this program - I'm banking on it. i just submitted recently - I don't know how long the verification process is going to take and then application review -

thanks for the response my man! what does the conditionally acceptation depend on? also, did u room with other people from the class? I really hope i get into this program - I'm banking on it. i just submitted recently - I don't know how long the verification process is going to take and then application review -
No problem! I was lucky enough to room with an M2 (randomly assigned) who did BMS. You and @Dochopeful13 shouldn't be concerned with being older. It seems like older students in the program have a strong drive to succeed!

No problem! I was lucky enough to room with an M2 (randomly assigned) who did BMS. You and @Dochopeful13 shouldn't be concerned with being older. It seems like older students in the program have a strong drive to succeed!

Im concerned about being older as well as my debt hahah. already 60k-70k in the hole. also nice - keep in touch I'm gonna send u messages about the program/etc if I get in

Reactions: 1 users
I really appreciate the insight bud. In your opinion if someone buckles down and works hard it’s not too hard to get A’s and b’s? I have seen conflicting stories that the tests are hard and tricky. I hope that’s not the case.

26, whats your background? did u have a previous career? also what are ur stats? I think you will get in if you are solid!
I feel like I had a whole other life before this lol. I got burned out of the sales game and decided to go back to school. My overall gpa is prob close to a 3.4, should be higher but I really didn’t care too much in undergrad. I was young and dumb. Since going back I have a 4.0 in my post bach classes I have been taking. I hope an upward trend helps who knows.

I really appreciate the insight bud. In your opinion if someone buckles down and works hard it’s not too hard to get A’s and b’s? I have seen conflicting stories that the tests are hard and tricky. I hope that’s not the case.
No problem! Personally, I think the tests are difficult. If you were going to grade it from 1 to 10, i'd say high school is a 1/10, undergrad is a 3/10 or 4/10, and med school classes are like an 8/10. Reason why it's not a 10/10 is because they are doable, people get A's, people do well, it just requires a lot of work. Just imagine having to memorize 30 hours of lecture notes/material, and having to understand it all. That's going to be as hard as it will get, and you'll have exactly 3 weeks to do it.
In one lecture we went over around 30 different cell transporters, where we had to know all the mechanisms and such for an exam that was a week away. Prof went over it in 50 minutes like it was nothing. But that doesn't happen too often luckily.