This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can only speculate, but based on your MCAT and GPA it seems like you would have a good chance at getting accepted. RFU does like to look at applications holistically, so your experiences also play a factor in your acceptance. I applied last year in Feb and I know that there were people who applied later in the application cycle and got accepted.

how old were you when u applied and when did u get accepted after applying in feb?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you had your interview for CMS yet? Hope it went or goes well and that you get accepted! How have your classes been so far and how difficult would you say that they are? Also, do you still like the nutrition track?

I have had my interview yes! Thank you so much that means a lot! I would agree with the previous comments. For me personally, the medical classes are difficult. They are doable though, with a lot of effort and regular diligent studying. They have review sessions which are very helpful, and I also utilize office hours from professors to get extra help! Nutrition has been great so far! Those classes are very easy compared to the medical classes. They are all online and mostly just consist of weekly discussion posts and mini assignments and the longest paper we’ve had is like 2 pages. Some classes have open book midterms or finals as well. I’ve learned a lot and I’d recommend it to anyone! Good luck if you are applying this year! If you have more questions feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying to other med schools as well or did you just stick with CMS? I'm trying to imagine how difficult it would be to stay on top of school work in this BMS program while also doing interviews for other med schools. Or does Rosalind Franklin just assume you're putting all your eggs in one basket and committing to CMS?

I have had interviews at other schools, and honestly they do highly recommend that you apply to other schools in case you don't get into CMS. I also wouldn't recommend putting all your eggs into one basket because that's a very risky thing to do. It's completely doable to have interviews at other schools and keep up with BMS coursework. The only required classes are TIPs (Topics in Physiology) and HIPs (Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare) but you can miss up to 3 HIPs classes. There are recordings of old lectures that we have access to so you can always get ahead if you're going to be gone. The material rarely changes from year to year!

Reactions: 1 user
I have had interviews at other schools, and honestly they do highly recommend that you apply to other schools in case you don't get into CMS. I also wouldn't recommend putting all your eggs into one basket because that's a very risky thing to do. It's completely doable to have interviews at other schools and keep up with BMS coursework. The only required classes are TIPs (Topics in Physiology) and HIPs (Intro to Interprofessional Healthcare) but you can miss up to 3 HIPs classes. There are recordings of old lectures that we have access to so you can always get ahead if you're going to be gone. The material rarely changes from year to year!

did you retake your MCAT? do they recommend retaking the MCAT if your score is borderline?

did you retake your MCAT? do they recommend retaking the MCAT if your score is borderline?
The advisors will tell you that if your MCAT score is good enough for BMS then it will be good enough for CMS, and there is no need to retake the exam.

Yes exactly what semitrash said, an advisor told me above a 500 is competitive for BMS and once you get accepted into BMS they will tell you your score is good enough for CMS and there is no need to retake it, the main focus after that should be focusing on your classes. It would be incredibly difficult to study for an take the MCAT while doing BMS, I did have a friend who did it but she wouldn’t recommend it.

Is it true that BMS is essentially like a clean slate for those who wish to matriculate into CMS the following year? I read somewhere on the BMS application page that your acceptance into CMS or any professional school within RFU is independent of your performance in BMS. Does that mean even if I did really well in BMS and did good in the interview that if I had a really horrible undergrad experience then adcom will still take that into account and possibly deny me from entry?
What many have said on SDN is that if you get into the program with the MCAT you currently have, then as long as you get As and Bs in the classes in the MBS, you have a fair chance of matriculating as long as your interview is ok. Your undergrad experience shouldn’t have any weight in their decision at that point. But I would just email RFU about this as they would be able to officially answer this question for you.

Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if you could answer one more question. How is the grading scale in BMS? Like is a 90-100 considered an A? Or are the grades preset based on how the med students do?
I’ll ask around and post what I hear.

Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if you could answer one more question. How is the grading scale in BMS? Like is a 90-100 considered an A? Or are the grades preset based on how the med students do?

Currently how it works for us in the medical school classes is that for letter grades, 89.5-100 is an A, 79.5-89.4 is a B, and 69.5-79.4 would be a C, etc. For each exam, the grades are curved to 79.5% (80% for some courses) based on how the medical students averaged on the exam. For example, if the average for an exam by the M1’s was 75%, everyone would get 4.5% added to their test score. Letter grades at the end of the course are calculated by weighting each exam percentage by how much the exam is worth. Some exams are worth 35% of your grades, some are worth only 8% so it’s possible to recover from low scores. Hope this helps! Next year I know you will not be taking classes with the medical students so I am not sure how the curving will work for you!

@h23 NO. Lets put it this way. My MCAT is a 497. My uGPA is a 3.3, and my sGPA is a 3.2. I was just conditionally accepted. They will only look at your BMS grades for entry into one of the medical programs here. Whatever you read is not right. I was actually really scared about getting denied because of my 497 MCAT, but obviously, that doesn't matter anymore.

I talked to the head of the program, he pretty much said that if you have a 496+ you are gucci. One thing about the program, you'll meet quite a few people that are here because they have 0 people skills. These people will sit and tell you how they had a million and a half interviews the year before, and got waitlisted and denied at each one. They think that telling others this will only make you think that they are smart, or just got unlucky. Well in reality, these people just have terrible interview skills, and it shows in their character traits. Luckily, there are only a handful of people like this in my BMS cohort.

Also, CMS admissions requires all A's and B's, along with a good interview. I'm pretty sure that the other professional schools at RFU are not as rigorous with their admissions. Many people that get a C end up going podiatry, or PA or something. So, there is always a fallback if you get a C in BMS.

Last edited:
@h23 NO. Lets put it this way. My MCAT is a 497. My uGPA is a 3.3, and my sGPA is a 3.2. I was just conditionally accepted. They will only look at your BMS grades for entry into one of the medical programs here. Whatever you read is not right. I was actually really scared about getting denied because of my 497 MCAT, but obviously, that doesn't matter anymore.

I talked to the head of the program, he pretty much said that if you have a 496+ you are gucci. One thing about the program, you'll meet quite a few people that are here because they have 0 people skills. These people will sit and tell you how they had a million and a half interviews the year before, and got waitlisted and denied at each one. They think that telling others this will only make you think that they are smart, or just got unlucky. Well in reality, these people just have terrible interview skills, and it shows in their character traits. Luckily, there are only a handful of people like this in my BMS cohort.

Also, CMS admissions requires all A's and B's, along with a good interview. I'm pretty sure that the other professional schools at RFU are not as rigorous with their admissions. Many people that get a C end up going podiatry, or PA or something. So, there is always a fallback if you get a C in BMS.

You got into RFU with a 497? So as long as you do well in the SMP here, one is basically guaranteed an acceptance?

You got into RFU with a 497? So as long as you do well in the SMP here, one is basically guaranteed an acceptance?
And you need to do well in the interview. But keep in mind that the classes are not forgiving at all. If you do poorly on one exam, you'll be sitting in very hot water. For instance, cell bio at the beginning of the year consists of 4 tests, and that is pretty much it. People are usually tripped up by this class. It also seems to me, from my fellow BMS'rs that i've talked to, that the only people who got denied were the ones who got C's in one of the first two classes (CMCB and Biochem). There is never a guarantee, the only guarantee is the interview invite they will give you...but I feel like there is an "unwritten" rule that if a BMS student has above a 496, does well in the interview, maintains all A's and B's (you don't even need A's, you can get all B's), and said student shows their face around campus (talk to professors, join a club), then you are conditionally accepted. You also probably should have volunteering on your actual amcas app, along with all the other normal pre med stuff... Before the program starts, or 2 weeks before in my case, you'll get a call from one of the BMS advisors telling you that "the admissions committee at the chicago medical school has reviewed your application and recommends that you do X amount of volunteering." In my case, they said do 25 hours more, even though I had like 200 or so, and in some other people's cases they said to do 100, or 50 hours. Before the interview, they send out a form so you can update your app with things like the clubs you have joined, and the volunteering you have conducted both during the program and during the summer beforehand. Our program director really stresses doing well on the interview, and there have been stories of individuals from last year's BMS class who had all A's, and got rejected due to their poor interview skills. From the M1's descriptions of these past students, they sounded extremely awkward and were rejected because of it.

Oh and the MCAT is in no way going to tell you how well you'll do in med school. For instance, i had a 497, but have done fine in the program thus far... I took the test about a year or so ago, and i'm doing as well in this program as people who have gotten 508's. The information on the test is good background, but you'll need to learn it all again, and understand it at a much higher level in order to succeed in a medical school class. Plus way more detail.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, everyone! First and foremost, congratulations to the BMS students who have been accepted to CMS and the current applicants who have been accepted to the BMS program. I am more than willing to share some of my own unique insights into the program. I was a student in the BMS program way back during the 2013-2014 academic year. I was NOT ADMITTED to CMS that year. I spent a few years cleaning up my application and was accepted to CMS last year. I am currently almost done with my first year of medical school here. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program (BMS or CMS), my experience as a BMS student, or how I made use of my time after my BMS year. I am also friends with many BMS students here at Rosalind Franklin University, so I am up to date on how the program has changed.

Hey, everyone! First and foremost, congratulations to the BMS students who have been accepted to CMS and the current applicants who have been accepted to the BMS program. I am more than willing to share some of my own unique insights into the program. I was a student in the BMS program way back during the 2013-2014 academic year. I was NOT ADMITTED to CMS that year. I spent a few years cleaning up my application and was accepted to CMS last year. I am currently almost done with my first year of medical school here. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program (BMS or CMS), my experience as a BMS student, or how I made use of my time after my BMS year. I am also friends with many BMS students here at Rosalind Franklin University, so I am up to date on how the program has changed.
Did you apply at the beginning of the BMS program for the following school year or did you wait to apply after you completed the BMS program?

Did you apply at the beginning of the BMS program for the following school year or did you wait to apply after you completed the BMS program?

In order to get the guaranteed interview invite, you have to apply to CMS during the same year you are in the BMS program. So, if you start the BMS program in August of 2018, you have to get your CMS application in by the deadline for the 2018-2019 application cycle. I think that deadline is around October or November for the secondary application deadline (primary is due earlier). While you complete and submit the application to CMS, you will be working on your courses. Interviews for the school of medicine take place from about February through early March (for BMS students). Eventually, you will either be accepted, waitlisted (put on hold), or rejected. If you apply to CMS after you finish the BMS program, you will be treated as a normal applicant...aka you will not be granted a guaranteed interview and will be competing against non-BMS applicants. Does that answer your question? This is how they have traditionally done things up until this point, however this may change next year. Perhaps a current student can comment on any changes they might implement for next year.

In order to get the guaranteed interview invite, you have to apply to CMS during the same year you are in the BMS program. So, if you start the BMS program in August of 2018, you have to get your CMS application in by the deadline for the 2018-2019 application cycle. I think that deadline is around October or November for the secondary application deadline (primary is due earlier). While you complete and submit the application to CMS, you will be working on your courses. Interviews for the school of medicine take place from about February through early March (for BMS students). Eventually, you will either be accepted, waitlisted (put on hold), or rejected. If you apply to CMS after you finish the BMS program, you will be treated as a normal applicant...aka you will not be granted a guaranteed interview and will be competing against non-BMS applicants. Does that answer your question? This is how they have traditionally done things up until this point, however this may change next year. Perhaps a current student can comment on any changes they might implement for next year.
So next year the interview will still be guaranteed for any RFUMS program you apply to (podiatry/PA/MD...), but you will not be taking classes with the med students. The medical school is adopting a new curriculum next year where it is completely system's based, whilst the BMS students will retain the old system, with the same professors as the medical students. Many of the medical school professors are deeply involved with the admissions committee, and you might even be interviewed by a few of them during your CMS interview.

The issue now is that one of the selling points for the program was the fact that you were directly competing against a med student. So a student with a low MCAT/GPA like me could say to the adcoms, "Hey, I am getting better grades than your precious M1's, I am ready for med school!" This will not be the case anymore, since you will only be "competing" with other BMS students. I really hope that they don't make the program into some ultra competitive environment, because while some BMS students from my cohort (and past ones from what i've heard) would like to think that this program is some extremely competitive -dog eat dog- kinda hunger games thing, it's really not. We all have had an equal opportunity to get the grades for the classes, and have had equal access to the teachers. Our averages don't even go into the average calculated for the med students, so we absolutely do not compete against each other. Now, this could be subject to change, and i'll explain what I think will happen below.

I think that they will pretty much keep the same system, except instead of curving the exams to an 80%, they will curve them to a 75% or something and say that the students who receive A's and B's and do well in the interview get accepted. From the times i've spoken with the heads of the BMS program, it seems like they are extremely against creating a competitive environment, and they are really aiming to make the program as appealing as possible next year. Hopefully, this change of the curriculum will make it easier for students to matriculate into CMS, but we honestly won't know until we see the numbers from next year's class, and how many of them get in.

Interesting perspective, however, how do you know that those rejected with C's didn't just have a bad interview? Is CMS willing to discuss where your application was lacking?

Interesting perspective, however, how do you know that those rejected with C's didn't just have a bad interview? Is CMS willing to discuss where your application was lacking? .

I thought about that as well at the beginning of the year, but the BMS advisors along with several professors that have spoken to the BMS cohort pretty much hammered the fact into our head that if we received a C, whether it was a 79.94 or a 70.0 that "our chances for admission to CMS would be extremely slim." The advisors are also quite frank with the students, they will straight up tell you when the CMS acceptance is out of your grasp and that you pretty much don't have a reason for finishing the program besides getting a masters, or trying your hand at podiatry/pa/etc...

As for CMS being willing to discuss the lack in the application, I would really think that they would tell you if you asked them. Luckily I am not in the position where I need to ask about my application. There was a story floating around where last year during a TIPS class (Topics in Physiology, a class only for BMS students) that took place after everyone had received their conditional acceptance/hold/denied status, a CMS professor started speaking about the hold/conditional acceptance scenarios and what the students should do in order to matriculate. One, apparently awkward, student asked during this session if they could find the reason why they were denied from CMS, and the professor apparently said no.

Now this is just a story I've heard, and the professor that apparently said this was on the admissions committee last year and not this year.... but this is all hear-say. I know that if I were rejected, I would go down to the admissions office and request a meeting with someone in admissions, or at least a little reasoning for my decision. The BMS program director would also tell you why you were rejected most likely, and the next steps to take.

Also, lying is unfortunately a common thing in the BMS program. It can be small things like "oh my average in physio is an 86," when the person really has an 80, or big things like "I was put on hold," when the person was really rejected.

If you come to this program, just put your head down, work hard, and things will work out. Make friends and such, but don't ask about people's grades, and DO NOT ask about their status once decisions come out.

is it okay to use letter for medical school for the reccomednations rather than letters for SMP? I don't want to tell my writers to re-write a letter

is it okay to use letter for medical school for the reccomednations rather than letters for SMP? I don't want to tell my writers to re-write a letter
I asked this question to a few different programs and they all said it was ok to use your med school letters. But you could always call them and ask.

On your RFUCAS, does your app change after everything has been received? My finals transcripts arrived Friday, and it says arrived in red with everything else in green.

Those who were already accepted - around how long did it take for you to hear back?
I submitted my app 3 weeks ago and I haven’t heard back. When did you submit yours? Anybody submitted the application in February and got acceptance/rejection/waitlisted?

So let me get this straight just so I know I'm understanding correctly...

I applied to the BMS program already and am currently waiting for their decision. If I was to get accepted should I just apply to their medical school like normal applicant once AMCAS opens in addition to having applied to the BMS program and then they will just see "oh she's in the BMS so we'll review her application later" type thing or is that the wrong idea? And if I do have to apply to the medical school as well simultaneously, do you know if different recommendations are required or if we can just use the same ones as for the BMS?

So let me get this straight just so I know I'm understanding correctly...

I applied to the BMS program already and am currently waiting for their decision. If I was to get accepted should I just apply to their medical school like normal applicant once AMCAS opens in addition to having applied to the BMS program and then they will just see "oh she's in the BMS so we'll review her application later" type thing or is that the wrong idea? And if I do have to apply to the medical school as well simultaneously, do you know if different recommendations are required or if we can just use the same ones as for the BMS?
I believe you can use the same recommendations. And yes your idea of how things work is pretty much correct. Just make sure your AMCAS app doesn't have any typos or anything. Also, if RFU is the only MD school you are applying to, you could take the extra time to have one of the BMS advisors review your app (like your personal statement and such) before you submit (because from my understanding, BMS students who submit their primary to RFU late are not looked at any differently). You should be able to apply to CMS by the last possible day of the cycle (accounting for getting verified and such, so in reality a month beforehand or whatever), and they should still give you the interview and you'll still have the same chance as other BMS students.
This goes for secondaries too, i had some friends who submitted their secondary to RFU within 2 weeks of the deadline, and they were conditional accepted.

Last edited:
I believe you can use the same recommendations. And yes your idea of how things work is pretty much correct. Just make sure your AMCAS app doesn't have any typos or anything. Also, if RFU is the only MD school you are applying to, you could take the extra time to have one of the BMS advisors review your app (like your personal statement and such) before you submit (because from my understanding, BMS students who submit their primary to RFU late are not looked at any differently). From my understanding, you can apply to CMS by the last possible day of the cycle (accounting for getting verified and such, so in reality a month beforehand or whatever), and they will still give you the interview and you'll still have the same chance as other BMS students.
This goes for secondaries too, i had some friends who submitted their secondary to RFU within 2 weeks of the deadline, and they were conditional accepted.

Oh wow! That's great. Thank you!

Oh wow! That's great. Thank you!
The advisors will also pressure you into applying to other schools with the “don’t put all your eggs in one basket” argument. Mine persuaded me to apply to some DO schools with my 497 MCAT, which was a waste of time and money. Not that being a DO is any different from being an MD, but a 497 won’t get you anywhere with an admissions committee lol (of course except this program).

Does anyone know what the success rate of this program is? As in what % of their students get into med school?

Does anyone know what the success rate of this program is? As in what % of their students get into med school?
At the beginning of the year, they told us that "historically, about 60 to 70 percent of those who complete the BMS program are accepted to medical school." This doesn't account for the people who drop out early in the year due to getting a C or some other circumstance, and doesn't account for the people who drop out late in the year due to getting an acceptance somewhere else.

The formula for getting in is, get A's and B's, prepare and do well in the interview, join a club or two, and talk to a few professors. plus your MCAT and EC's as an undergrad.

For instance, last year's BMS class started with 90 or so, it dwindled to 65 that graduated, and of those 65, i believe 40 or 35 got in.

The year before that, apparently 60 out of the graduating 85 people got in, and around 10 dropped.

These are ballpark estimates, that have been gathered from the M1A's and other medical students/past BMS'rs. The numbers vary, and it's really dependent on the BMS admissions committee on how they admit applicants to the BMS program.

The only thing in my opinion that really holds people back in this program are their grades, or the interview. The advisors really stress that "We picked you to come to this program for a reason, and that's because we know you can do it."

Hey guys, I've been looking at this program for about 3-4 years. Could anyone chance me for this program?

cGPA:2.4
sGPA:2.6
MCAT:514
EC:
Went to a rigorous competitive research university
Captain of an award winning collegiate cultural dance team
President of a collegiate cultural club
Local representative to pass a bill in congress to provide electricity in Africa
Worked at a biotech company that consistently saved lives with DNA sequencing techniques to find organ donor matches for 1 year
Studied cell death in patients during brain trauma for 1 year at one of the top research centers in the U.S. post-grad. Still waiting to get accepted for a publication as a co-author.
Retook the prerequisites and took biochemistry for the first time for a semester - post bacc. GPA at my state university = 4.0
Shadowed at Pediatric Critical Care Unit in a big hospital

I know my uGPA is low. I was having a lot of family problems and put a lot on my plate which was not the smartest move at that time. Chance me and let me know what you think I can improve, and if this may be the program for me.

Thanks everyone
I wouldn’t be so down on yourself about your GPA. The good news is that you have a great MCAT and your ECs are phenomenal. How many credits do you have? I had 166 credits with a pretty low GPA as well and after doing 41 post-bacc credits, I brought it up substantially. But then again, it might not matter since you have some pretty stellar ECs. I would suggest calling RFU and asking them directly since they’re going to be best source. But I’m a big believer that you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take, you never know unless you apply. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m currently looking to apply to this program-graduated with a bachelors in Classics. I had a 3.3 cGPA and a 2.8 SGPA., First MCAT 504, second MCAT 500 (I’m still quite upset about the drop in my score) This is from a top ranked institution in the Midwest known for grade deflation. I also had significant health related issues during my first two years of school (almost died from a massive blood clot to my lungs) that caused me to fall behind on classes (imagine having to return back to your dorm because the blood thinning injections cause you to ooze onto your clothes and make them all bloody). I am currently doing Thrombosis research at a midwestern institution and presenting results at a national meeting next month and will probably get at least two publications from my research. I’ve also shadowed a cardiologist during my winter and spring breaks, and I have been very involved with public advocacy and education in regards to blood clots-worked with a national organization to have one of the governors proclaim Thrombosis awareness month in his state and founded my own patients support group.

Bottom line is that I realize that my GPA and MCAT scores are not going to make me competitive for an allopathic program, but I hope that what I have done outside of the classroom will spark the interest of either an osteopathic school or a Masters program such as this. Any thoughts or suggestions, be they positive or negative, are greatly appreciated.

I’m currently looking to apply to this program-graduated with a bachelors in Classics. I had a 3.3 cGPA and a 2.8 SGPA., First MCAT 504, second MCAT 500 (I’m still quite upset about the drop in my score) This is from a top ranked institution in the Midwest known for grade deflation. I also had significant health related issues during my first two years of school (almost died from a massive blood clot to my lungs) that caused me to fall behind on classes (imagine having to return back to your dorm because the blood thinning injections cause you to ooze onto your clothes and make them all bloody). I am currently doing Thrombosis research at a midwestern institution and presenting results at a national meeting next month and will probably get at least two publications from my research. I’ve also shadowed a cardiologist during my winter and spring breaks, and I have been very involved with public advocacy and education in regards to blood clots-worked with a national organization to have one of the governors proclaim Thrombosis awareness month in his state and founded my own patients support group.

Bottom line is that I realize that my GPA and MCAT scores are not going to make me competitive for an allopathic program, but I hope that what I have done outside of the classroom will spark the interest of either an osteopathic school or a Masters program such as this. Any thoughts or suggestions, be they positive or negative, are greatly appreciated.
Hey! I agree with everything in the previous post. I think you’d be a perfect candidate for this program, both your gpa and MCAT score are still very competitive for acceptance and it looks like your extracurriculars are also stellar. Once you’re in the program, of course you will get out of it what you put in. I would recommend one thing, if you don’t have a lot of volunteer experience working with underprivileged communities (nonmedical) now would be the time to do that! The admissions committee looks very favorably on this and might even tell you to get anywhere from 25-200 more hours if they feel you don’t have enough. Overall though I think you have a great chance of getting accepted! Best of luck!

They look favorably on non-medical volunteering in the community? So if I volunteered like about 200 hours with an underserved community in a medical setting then adcoms wouldn't look at it as favorably?

All kinds of volunteering will help! I wouldn’t say that the amount of volunteer hours you have will be the difference between you getting accepted or rejected from this program. They are really just looking for a well rounded applicant with experience in many different areas. I would say the 200 hours you have now is a great number! They definitely like to see that and of course it will be looked at favorably. I’m just speaking from my experience with talking to Admissions advisors, and them telling me that they like to also see nonmedical volunteering in the community. They are usually pretty nice about it though and will recommend a certain number of hours if they feel you don’t have enough. Also, it’s optional to do them but would be best to obviously. Hope that helps!

You seem like a good match for this program. I am a current BMS student and I know several other classmates with backgrounds like yours who are excelling here. You are a good test taker by your Mcat score, but a low GPA indicates poor studying habits which are essential for doing well here. That's just me generalizing you from your numbers, but if you attend here you need to make sure you are doing regular spaced studying so you don't fall behind. There will be a few exams that are disproportionately hard than others, in particular combined exam 3 which was Biochemistry, cellular biology, and the first Physiology exam. This is less than the M1 combined exam load, but they can afford to get C's and you really have to strive for 85%+ averages, or you will find yourself struggling to meet grade cut offs at the conclusion of a course.

I will say that the first six months of the program you need to work your rear off. Students have to make a good impression at this time with A/B grades in the first two M1 classes, your conditional acceptance will probably hinge on your Cellular Biology and Biochemistry grades. And a good interview of course. But these classes are not to be taken lightly, they require regular studying to absorb the crazy amount of information they require you to know for exams. Some professors also write unfair exams imo, you just have to suck that up and attend the optional group reviews conducted by M1 and M1A students which where invaluable.

At any point in the quarter for Biochem or CMCB, you might bomb a single exam that completely sinks your grade. Some students were in this boat and managed to recover, but others dug themselves too deep and ended up with a C or below grade because of a single really poor exam. You just don't want to be in that position, find whatever it takes to hit the ground running and keep your momentum through the Fall and Winter quarters, and you will be rewarded!

I mostly agree with this, but I do know of individuals that were conditionally accepted with an 82 or 83 in Cell Bio or Biochem, but definitely aiming for 85%+ is the way to go. You don't want to have to pull off a 100% on the final for a class to maintain a B.

Exam 3 that had biochem, cell bio, and physio was definitely tough, but I screwed up that exam and a few of my colleagues did and we were fine in the end. If you mess up an exam every once in a while it won't break you. I also managed to mess up the first exam cycle, and the third exam cycle, and ended up with mid B's in both cell bio and biochem. Now I also did really well on the second and fourth tests, so I did recover... It was really hard though.

And I attended the optional review sessions for the first 6 weeks of class, and stopped. Reason why I stopped was because it got to a point where there were so many "optional review" sessions led by student TA's that there was not enough time for me to sit by myself and just memorize the material. Also, the student led sessions are truly student led, the professors have no input into what the students include into their powerpoints, and while they may be helpful in some cases, sometimes they take up too much time and end up lecturing you on material that you either know really well, or don't know at all and need to sit down and memorize.

Also I've been told by the program head that the adcoms will see your current average in classes like physiology and TIPS when making a decision on you, so it's not only CMCB and Biochem that they take into account.

Exam questions can def be unfair, since med students learn and relearn some material over and over again, while BMS students have to see things for the first time every now and then.

Overall, everyone has a different BMS story... Some people get all A's, some people get all B's, some are rejected, some are accepted... Just try your best!

Last edited:
Just got accepted today! Did anyone else here get accepted yet?

When was your application complete?

I submitted it before I got my MCAT score on February 7th to get my course work verified early then I submitted my MCAT score on February 23rd to complete the application

I submitted it before I got my MCAT score on February 7th to get my course work verified early then I submitted my MCAT score on February 23rd to complete the application
Ah. Congratulations! So it wasn’t that long. I just got the email today saying my application was complete and to allow 2-6 weeks for a decision. Hopefully 2 weeks.

As far as the 3 LOR- can they be from two of my lab supervisors and one from a physician I shadowed, or do they have from actual classroom professors. Not sure what premedadvising letter says about me but I know that the 3 separate LOR would likely be fantastic.

As far as the 3 LOR- can they be from two of my lab supervisors and one from a physician I shadowed, or do they have from actual classroom professors. Not sure what premedadvising letter says about me but I know that the 3 separate LOR would likely be fantastic.
Shoot them an email and ask. I’m sure they won’t mind.

Hey! This was their response to my LOR question:
"Either one committee letter or three individual letters of recommendations from persons involved in your previous educational experience are required. For example, a college professor. Also, if you have done any physician shadowing or work in a health care profession one of your letters can be from them."
Thanks- the wording can go go either way- “persons involved in your previous educational experience”- that’s rather vague, but to clarify it I’m calling the Admissions office tomorrow to ask. I’d love to have some of my high school teachers write letters since they were involved in my educational experiences- haha good luck!

Hey guys! I have a question for any folks in/formerly in the program. My letters of recommendation from science profs were specifically for SMP programs; if I get in and apply for CMS will that end up being a problem for me, or will the program write me a letter after fall grades like EVMS for example. Thanks, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Hey guys! I have a question for any folks in/formerly in the program. My letters of recommendation from science profs were specifically for SMP programs; if I get in and apply for CMS will that end up being a problem for me, or will the program write me a letter after fall grades like EVMS for example. Thanks, sorry if this is a stupid question.
I’m not in nor am I a former student but I believe you’ll begin applying to medical schools at the beginning of the BMS program. Then CMS will be updated with your fall grades along with a letter from the program about you. It won’t be an official LoR, more like an update that will be sent to the program. I’m not sure if they’ll send updates to other programs, just CMS. This is what I’ve read on SDN.

Just get another set of recommendations from your profs. If they were willing to write you a LOR for an SMP, I think they would be more than willing to write you one for med school...simply by changing their original recommendation a tad bit.

You don't want to get denied midway through the year for something dumb like this.

Thanks everyone! It's been a few years and I know one of them has left my undergrad school. If the need arises I'll go back and reach out to them.

Hi! I talked about the curriculum changes in the previous comment, basically you won't be taking classes with the medical students it will just be with your BMS cohort, but you can be assured that they will still challenge you and make them as difficult as medical school courses, and the basic premise of the program won't change! Do well in your classes and the interview and you'll have a great shot at getting in! One thing I think people get confused about is they think you're competing against your classmates for a seat in CMS, which isn't true. Theoretically, 100% of the class could matriculate and they told us that, however the two main reasons of not getting in is getting a C or underperforming on the interview.

For the timeline, there is no criteria for getting an interview other than being currently enrolled in the program. You could have gotten a C in your first two classes and you'd still have a chance to interview, but your likelihood of being accepted to CMS would be low but they interview you anyway because it's guarenteed. The two classes that you will have grades from before the interview are Clinical Molecular Cell Biology (CMCB) which ends at the end of fall quarter so it just ended on a Friday for us and Medical Biochemistry, which ends 3 weeks later. Generally, interview invites begin in mid to late January to February and you should find out if you got conditionally accepted within a week. A conditional acceptance means your matriculation is contingent upon you maintaining B's or higher in the rest of your courses and maintaining professionalism, integrity, etc.

For mentors, you are assigned a mentor at the beginning of the year. It will be either Dr. Weiand, the director of the BMS program, Dr. Pomarico, a professor, Dr. Sukowski, or one other. For student mentors, during orientation week we were in groups of 6-7 students who had an Orientations Advisor who had been through BMS the previous year. Our OA still keeps in contact with us and is readily available to answer any questions or concerns we have throughout the year.

For Health Administration, I unfortunately do not know as much about it since I am in the Nutrition track. If anyone has questions about that track let me know! Basically for each track there are 4 classes; you take 1 during fall quarter, 2 during winter quarter and 1 during spring quarter. My friends have told me that for the fall quarter class for health admin they have weekly discussion posts based on weekly readings where you also comment on other people's posts and 5 papers, 3 short 2 page double spaced ones and 2 longer 4-6 page papers. All classes have the same basic set up with discussion posts and are generally easier than the medical classes. For my first nutrition class, we had one short double spaced paper and weekly online quizzes based on the readings!

I hope that helps! If there's anything else or something you need clarified let me know :) Good luck!

Hello!

What do you mean you're on the Nutrition track? The BMS degree has a nutrition track? or are you doing a whole different degree?

Hello!

What do you mean you're on the Nutrition track? The BMS degree has a nutrition track? or are you doing a whole different degree?
I believe you choose a small focus area when you start. You can choose between 3 or 4 different tracks. You’ll take all of the (old curriculum) medical school courses and then your track courses.