This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like I had a whole other life before this lol. I got burned out of the sales game and decided to go back to school. My overall gpa is prob close to a 3.4, should be higher but I really didn’t care too much in undergrad. I was young and dumb. Since going back I have a 4.0 in my post bach classes I have been taking. I hope an upward trend helps who knows.

What sales were u doing and at least you got $ saved up for med school and what not. Did u already take your MCAT or GRE? I think you should get in

Members don't see this ad.

No problem! Personally, I think the tests are difficult. If you were going to grade it from 1 to 10, i'd say high school is a 1/10, undergrad is a 3/10 or 4/10, and med school classes are like an 8/10. Reason why it's not a 10/10 is because they are doable, people get A's, people do well, it just requires a lot of work. Just imagine having to memorize 30 hours of lecture notes/material, and having to understand it all. That's going to be as hard as it will get, and you'll have exactly 3 weeks to do it.
In one lecture we went over around 30 different cell transporters, where we had to know all the mechanisms and such for an exam that was a week away. Prof went over it in 50 minutes like it was nothing. But that doesn't happen too often luckily.
I’d like to chime in. I agree with what @arkansas420 said but the reason I would put these classes at 9/10 is that there are usually cumulative finals. I took two medical school courses at a top 30 medical school: pharmacology and neuroscience. Neuro wasn’t bad from a culmulative sense but pharm was awful. We had around 75 total lectures for the semester and the final was cumulative plus the last bit of new material we were given. If you cram for exams, this is where it’ll catch up to you. So if you were going into the final with an A, you could blow it down to a B in one fell swoop since there were so many points you could miss. I could see a biochem final being like this with all of the little details involved.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
arkansas420 did anyone get a 3.8-4.0 in the program and not get in? I'm worried that might happen and then I'd be screwed

arkansas420 did anyone get a 3.8-4.0 in the program and not get in? I'm worried that might happen and then I'd be screwed
In the program we don't really talk about each other's grades too much, and nobody here really cares about their GPA, we care about the grades associated with the GPA. You could have all A's and one C, and therefore a 3.7 GPA, and get denied. Or you could have all B's, and a 3.0 GPA, and get accepted. Only reason why you would be denied is either getting a C, or messing up the interview. This was the case for my year though, i think it'll be the same next year.
My GPA here is probably a 3.4/3.5 or something, and believe me i came in here thinking i would have a 4.0 with the amount of work i put in. It's not like we are trying to get 3.4's, or 3.0's, everyone here is trying to get all A's, it's just really difficult.

Bro calm down lol. I understand it's in the premed nature to be overly neurotic (been there done that) but forreal there's no use just worrying about every single bad thing that could happen while you're in this program. I remember hearing about a study that was done which highlighted that individuals who stress a lot, thereby producing more cortisol (the stress hormone), actually did progressively worse on certain assigned tasks than their peers who were not as stressed. Just focus on the material and do the best you can. Stressing this much won't help you in the long run. Even the people who didn't get into CMS still managed to matriculate eventually. There's still hope for all of us.

and that is so true, right before the first test my heart rate shot up to like 130 because i was anticipating the difficulty of the program the entire summer, and was so anxious for that first exam. I was thinking, my entire life has led up to this, or some crap like that, and I failed that exam real hard lol. So please, don't stress about this like crazy, don't try to cram in a bunch of science studying during the summer before BMS either, just enjoy yourself and come to RFU nice and relaxed.

Bro calm down lol. I understand it's in the premed nature to be overly neurotic (been there done that) but forreal there's no use just worrying about every single bad thing that could happen while you're in this program. I remember hearing about a study that was done which highlighted that individuals who stress a lot, thereby producing more cortisol (the stress hormone), actually did progressively worse on certain assigned tasks than their peers who were not as stressed. Just focus on the material and do the best you can. Stressing this much won't help you in the long run. Even the people who didn't get into CMS still managed to matriculate eventually. There's still hope for all of us.

fair enough lol -

how long after submission does it take to get verified to get your application under review? I'm still waiting. Im debating if I should apply to other SMPs or some of the new med schools that just opened up this year. I really want to go here though

fair enough lol -

how long after submission does it take to get verified to get your application under review? I'm still waiting. Im debating if I should apply to other SMPs or some of the new med schools that just opened up this year. I really want to go here though
It takes longer than other applications since they have to verify your grades with your transcripts. You should apply to other programs. It’s usually not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. Might as well apply to those medical schools too if you can afford it. What medical schools are you talking about?

It takes longer than other applications since they have to verify your grades with your transcripts. You should apply to other programs. It’s usually not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. Might as well apply to those medical schools too if you can afford it. What medical schools are you talking about?

how long does it take to verify? I submitted my application but I have not received a response yet if its complete - I'm banking on this SMP - i got a 3.3 and 506 - didn't apply anywhere else

how long does it take to verify? I submitted my application but I have not received a response yet if its complete - I'm banking on this SMP - i got a 3.3 and 506 - didn't apply anywhere else
My last transcript was received 3/9, everything was verified by 3/14, and I got an email on 3/19 saying my application was complete and being reviewed.

My last transcript was received 3/9, everything was verified by 3/14, and I got an email on 3/19 saying my application was complete and being reviewed.

wow you were verified pretty early. I was told it takes 3-4 weeks for verification of the transcripts/etc

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted end of February and got the email that my app is under review last week so it took a long time for verification for me... and their email stated it takes 2-6 weeks to make a decision, hopefully 2

I submitted end of February and got the email that my app is under review last week so it took a long time for verification for me... and their email stated it takes 2-6 weeks to make a decision, hopefully 2

damn - this makes me super disappointed - i feel like my application is late now. Did you send your transcriptions before or after you submitted your application?

I only have good things to say about the RFU BMS program! I am a bit biased because I got into CMS, but from what I saw, most people who had Bs or higher and performed decently at the interview got in. I was really worried about RFU only looking at my BMS grades and the interview, but if I got in with my sub 3.0 cGPA/sGPA and many red flags on my account (won't go into specifics), I truly believe that this program is the blank slate type program that you want.

Doing decently on the interview is quite subjective though since we aren't very good judges of our performances, but you can do lots of mock interviews with the advisers and former BMS students now in CMS to get a good gauge of how you are doing! The schedule is changing up next year so I can't comment on that, but I feel like RFU really focuses on the BMS kids and tries to get them into CMS so I would think this trend would continue. The main RFU allopathic 2017-2018 thread talks about how no one has been getting acceptances for a while, but the BMS kids have been getting acceptances throughout that time period so this means that RFU places a huge emphasis on getting BMS kids in the program. Furthermore, I know some friends who had Cs in classes currently in progress and got acceptances after initially being on hold. Of course we have conditional acceptances where you need to have a B or higher in all your classes so getting a C in the end won't do you any good.

I can answer some questions about the program if anyone wants to know more, but I'm sure the new BMS program is still having its details worked out. Feel free to PM/reply to this message. Just be aware that if you come to RFU, you will most likely be going to CMS if you do well in the program and interview. Make sure you are okay with that.

Reactions: 1 users
Long time lurker!

I recently applied to this program. ~3.2 gpa 505 mcat , pretty good ECs (shadowing volunteering research etc). Has anyone around these stats gotten accepted this cycle?
I am non-URM (Asian american) so I was wondering if that affects my chances of getting into this program as my stats are hovering around the average

Long time lurker!

I recently applied to this program. ~3.2 gpa 505 mcat , pretty good ECs (shadowing volunteering research etc). Has anyone around these stats gotten accepted this cycle?
I am non-URM (Asian american) so I was wondering if that affects my chances of getting into this program as my stats are hovering around the average
Yeah, as good as anyone else applying I would think.

Would going to one of their information sessions (open houses seem to be done for the year) help in demonstrating interest in the program?

Would going to one of their information sessions (open houses seem to be done for the year) help in demonstrating interest in the program?

Not sure. I think it couldn’t hurt, unless you go and are a huge jerk, then it could. Don’t do that.

I only have good things to say about the RFU BMS program! I am a bit biased because I got into CMS, but from what I saw, most people who had Bs or higher and performed decently at the interview got in. I was really worried about RFU only looking at my BMS grades and the interview, but if I got in with my sub 3.0 cGPA/sGPA and many red flags on my account (won't go into specifics), I truly believe that this program is the blank slate type program that you want.

Doing decently on the interview is quite subjective though since we aren't very good judges of our performances, but you can do lots of mock interviews with the advisers and former BMS students now in CMS to get a good gauge of how you are doing! The schedule is changing up next year so I can't comment on that, but I feel like RFU really focuses on the BMS kids and tries to get them into CMS so I would think this trend would continue. The main RFU allopathic 2017-2018 thread talks about how no one has been getting acceptances for a while, but the BMS kids have been getting acceptances throughout that time period so this means that RFU places a huge emphasis on getting BMS kids in the program. Furthermore, I know some friends who had Cs in classes currently in progress and got acceptances after initially being on hold. Of course we have conditional acceptances where you need to have a B or higher in all your classes so getting a C in the end won't do you any good.

I can answer some questions about the program if anyone wants to know more, but I'm sure the new BMS program is still having its details worked out. Feel free to PM/reply to this message. Just be aware that if you come to RFU, you will most likely be going to CMS if you do well in the program and interview. Make sure you are okay with that.
Was your mcat high to balance out the low gpa for BMS??

When is their information session? I doubt I will go even though I am highly interested in the program. Do you guys know what the age range for the people in the program is? Are most people straight from college of few years out or completely non-trad? Is their any class culture or no?

At least for this month, the information sessions are on Thursdays. As I’m doing research this year in Chicago it’s abwuick train ride up to the area for me.

When is their information session? I doubt I will go even though I am highly interested in the program. Do you guys know what the age range for the people in the program is? Are most people straight from college of few years out or completely non-trad? Is their any class culture or no?
There are people here that are straight out of college and started BMS at 21, and there are a few students in their 30's. CMS's age range is around the same, i think the youngest M1 is 20, and the oldest is in their 30's.

Was your mcat high to balance out the low gpa for BMS??
Yes, my MCAT was higher than the average for the BMS class. I think it helped me in the program. I also applied two years so they could have liked my perseverance. (had an expired older MCAT score the first time, but also higher than average)

Yes, my MCAT was higher than the average for the BMS class. I think it helped me in the program. I also applied two years so they could have liked my perseverance. (had an expired older MCAT score the first time, but also higher than average)

why do you think you didn't get accepted the first time you applied? What was your MCAT if you don't mind me asking.

Does anyone know how many students they accept into the program? Last year 361 applied and 93 enrolled.

Does anyone know how many students they accept into the program? Last year 361 applied and 93 enrolled.

Not sure but I won’t be surprised if they accept more applicants this year since now the curriculum isn’t with M1 students. Does anyone know if they waitlist candidates?

Not sure but I won’t be surprised if they accept more applicants this year since now the curriculum isn’t with M1 students. Does anyone know if they waitlist candidates?
Well I’m going there next week and will try to ask this information and post it here.

Hey! Would you mind asking them for us about the new BMS curriculum? I.e. If there will be a change in the list of courses taken by BMS students, how the grading system will be determined (since no longer based on the MS1 curve).
Certainly!

Does anyone know if I am at a disadvantage applying with a gre score and not an MCAT score?
A friend of mine applied with a GRE score, took the MCAT in the summer before BMS, and is now conditionally accepted.

why do you think you didn't get accepted the first time you applied? What was your MCAT if you don't mind me asking.

There were a lot of things. Such as an expired MCAT score, an incident that happened recently before I turned in my app, and turning the application in right near the deadline. MCAT scores were both above the MD matriculant MCAT averages so I don't think that was a problem.

A friend of mine applied with a GRE score, took the MCAT in the summer before BMS, and is now conditionally accepted.
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I am going to do. I just wanted to make sure they didn’t have a quota of people they can accept based on what test they take. I.e 50 mcat scores, 20 gre scores etc. if accepted I will take the mcat in June.Should I tell them when I apply I only have a GRE score but I am planning to take MCAT??

There were a lot of things. Such as an expired MCAT score, an incident that happened recently before I turned in my app, and turning the application in right near the deadline. MCAT scores were both above the MD matriculant MCAT averages so I don't think that was a problem.

I think an expired MCAT would do cause major problems to be honest lol - but nice you finally got in
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I am going to do. I just wanted to make sure they didn’t have a quota of people they can accept based on what test they take. I.e 50 mcat scores, 20 gre scores etc. if accepted I will take the mcat in June.Should I tell them when I apply I only have a GRE score but I am planning to take MCAT??

did you apply yet? I would just apply and everything before its too late and then figure the semantics out later

Hey! Would you mind asking them for us about the new BMS curriculum? I.e. If there will be a change in the list of courses taken by BMS students, how the grading system will be determined (since no longer based on the MS1 curve).

I went to an information session back in January and was told courses would remain the same. The grading system will also remain the same but will be determined by BMS performance only

I went to an information session back in January and was told courses would remain the same. The grading system will also remain the same but will be determined by BMS performance only

I do not believe the courses will remain the same since they specifically stated the program is going to be changed. What change is there then?

Do any of y’all know when the committee meets? Getting really anxious here

Reactions: 1 users
Same! I got the confirmation email on 3/19 and hoping to hear back soon

good luck brotha! even though my stats are a bit above average I'm worried i won't get in because i applied late or lack of major ECs

You should probably tell them your expected testing date, and when you will have your score by. I would recommend, that for anyone looking to apply with a GRE, and then take the MCAT in the summer, to make sure that you take your MCAT one month before the start of school at the latest. The reason why I say this is because personally, I don't think it's the best idea to take the MCAT in August a few days before class starts, pay 15 grand for 1st quarter's tuition (or 5k with payment plan for the first month of school), and then realize that you got a 490 in September, and that CMS admissions won't even look at your app.

I think an expired MCAT would do cause major problems to be honest lol - but nice you finally got in

did you apply yet? I
You should probably tell them your expected testing date, and when you will have your score by. I would recommend, that for anyone looking to apply with a GRE, and then take the MCAT in the summer, to make sure that you take your MCAT one month before the start of school at the latest. The reason why I say this is because personally, I don't think it's the best idea to take the MCAT in August a few days before class starts, pay 15 grand for 1st quarter's tuition (or 5k with payment plan for the first month of school), and then realize that you got a 490 in September, and that CMS admissions won't even look at your app.
Thank you. You need a 496 or higher correct?

Does having your application verified mean your application is complete and ready for consideration? My transcripts have been saying arrived for the past 3 weeks despite getting verified earlier

Does having your application verified mean your application is complete and ready for consideration? My transcripts have been saying arrived for the past 3 weeks despite getting verified earlier

I'm not sure but I am on the same page as you.

Thank you. You need a 496 or higher correct?
This was what I was told for this year by the advisors, I would really recommend calling one of the BMS advisors and asking as well. Hopefully nothing has changed