Return of Service - none of the programs could answer my Qs!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrink_Rap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as an IMG I had some questions about these lovely mandatory ROS agreements. And they were pretty basic questions too - yet literally not a single program could answer any of my questions.

As well, when I asked one program about the length of their mandatory pre-residency training thing, they had no idea! Then they told me maybe I could do it online, or maybe I could do it from my own province - but they weren't sure.

... What?? Seriously? You'd think they'd know these things.

I found this pretty frustrating. Anyone else??

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard that they are very disorganized with these ROS agreements. You should just apply, and deal with the ROS when you are accepted.

Lol yeah... I don't like entering blindly into things where I'm going to be bound for 10-12 years of my life, but it seems that's the only option.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's one of the reasons they can't enforce them. When I started my PD had no idea I'd done a pre-entry course.

The reason they can't answer their questions is it's not set out by the program itself. It is set out by the governing health care division in that province. So for Ontario it's healthforce ontario, saskatchewan it's SaskDocs, etc.

Each province has their own requirements. I know the Ontario one has two dates, each one 4 weeks long and is mandatory according to your contract, however exceptions can be made.

As for Saskatchewan, there's an option to do the 6 week course, or a 4 hour online version. The 4 hour online version is only available to canadian citizens though and you have to apply for exemption to do it that way.

the best way to get information on the ROS agreements is to check out the website of the governing bodies, again HealthForce Ontario, SaskDocs. It's on their websites, if you're willing to sift through the drivel.

Hope that helps a bit.

I think OP is referring to the 2-5 years of mandatory service that you have to do after residency not the 4 week courses you have to take before you start residency.