Returning to Canada after US residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossled

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a canadian citizen at a usmd school just trying to figure out which speciality I am interested in. I wanted to eventually come back to Canada to work, and I see that the J1 visa is the easiest option for that. I am pretty new to all of this, but on the canada website for statement of need it has a list of specialities which are in limited demand making it hard to find a job, I was wondering if this has affected anyones choice of speciality? I was originally interested in general surgery but after checking my home provinces health page for jobs there are literally only 2 jobs being offered in the whole province. While for FM there is like 60+. Also interested in radiology but it is listed as limited as well. I was also wondering is it requird for me to return to my home province for the two years or can it be anywhere in Canada?

Also, if I wanted to do a fellowship in Canada after residency, would this be included in the two years that I am required to be in Canada after residency due to the J1 visa or is it required for me to work only for that period? Basically at what point can I apply for a Canadian fellowship after usa residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a canadian citizen at a usmd school just trying to figure out which speciality I am interested in. I wanted to eventually come back to Canada to work, and I see that the J1 visa is the easiest option for that. I am pretty new to all of this, but on the canada website for statement of need it has a list of specialities which are in limited demand making it hard to find a job, I was wondering if this has affected anyones choice of speciality? I was originally interested in general surgery but after checking my home provinces health page for jobs there are literally only 2 jobs being offered in the whole province. While for FM there is like 60+. Also interested in radiology but it is listed as limited as well. I was also wondering is it requird for me to return to my home province for the two years or can it be anywhere in Canada?

Also, if I wanted to do a fellowship in Canada after residency, would this be included in the two years that I am required to be in Canada after residency due to the J1 visa or is it required for me to work only for that period? Basically at what point can I apply for a Canadian fellowship after usa residency?

Just a word of advice. Do whatever speciality you like. Don’t worry about job opportunities unless your only goal is return back to Canada without any concern of personal happiness.

If you’re interested in surgery, apply for it. If it’s FM, apply for that. There is always routes back to practicing in Canada regardless of demand in one province.

As you’re a USMD, I recommend taking your Canadian exams at the same time of your USMLEs and apply to both residency matches. When you apply, consider in your rank order based on H1b vs J1 for USA programs IF you want to remain in the states. Otherwise it doesn’t matter.

If you match in Canada, then problem solved. If you match in the USA, you would have already completed the MCQE1 and MCQE2, you would be eligible to take the royal college (for non-family medicine) on your final year of residency. When you pass that, you’ll be able to get an independent license in any province generally speaking. You’ll just need to make sure if you complete the same number of years of residency that you would do in Canada in the states.

If you’re family medicine, then ignore the above, Canada will just take your American boards without making you re-take the rest. FM is 3 years in the states so no additional years. After you take your board in USA, you’ll be able to practice in Canada with ease and no restrictions.

Fellowship wise, you can apply to either however you must complete the MCC exams for Canada. It would count towards the 2 year home residency requirement for J1 in case you’re looking at getting a green card in the states. Otherwise if you stay in the states, you’re J1 would be extended.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a word of advice. Do whatever speciality you like. Don’t worry about job opportunities unless your only goal is return back to Canada without any concern of personal happiness.

If you’re interested in surgery, apply for it. If it’s FM, apply for that. There is always routes back to practicing in Canada regardless of demand in one province.

As you’re a USMD, I recommend taking your Canadian exams at the same time of your USMLEs and apply to both residency matches. When you apply, consider in your rank order based on H1b vs J1 for USA programs IF you want to remain in the states. Otherwise it doesn’t matter.

If you match in Canada, then problem solved. If you match in the USA, you would have already completed the MCQE1 and MCQE2, you would be eligible to take the royal college (for non-family medicine) on your final year of residency. When you pass that, you’ll be able to get an independent license in any province generally speaking. You’ll just need to make sure if you complete the same number of years of residency that you would do in Canada in the states.

If you’re family medicine, then ignore the above, Canada will just take your American boards without making you re-take the rest. FM is 3 years in the states so no additional years. After you take your board in USA, you’ll be able to practice in Canada with ease and no restrictions.

Fellowship wise, you can apply to either however you must complete the MCC exams for Canada. It would count towards the 2 year home residency requirement for J1 in case you’re looking at getting a green card in the states. Otherwise if you stay in the states, you’re J1 would be extended.

Awesome!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Regulations differ by province, but it is definitely doable. This link is from a community of US-trained physicians who want to move and practice medicine that is new and should be useful for you.

Hi I finished my training in USA and I need help with upcoming Rc IM exam 2021 study partner, materials, advice) I will be appreciated for any kind of help regarding what kind of material used to pass the exam written and oral / Clinical
thank you