Resources for clinics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_2025

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I’ll be starting clinics this March (!!!) and am just posting to see what resources you all recommend that you found helpful! Certain books? Particular notebooks for jotting stuff down? Study guides? I would appreciate any suggestions :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Buy a plumb’s subscription. It’s like 20 dollars for the year and it’s worth it to have the app on your phone to quickly look up doses.

There are a number of calculator apps out there that are nice to have. I personally have Vetpocket, but it’s far from the only one. Again, a paid subscription (I think it’s 4 bucks a month) but I’ve found it’s worth the money.

I use Clinician’s Brief often for step by step instructions on procedures. Consensus statements are always good if they exist.

Reactions: 1 user
Cote's Clinical Vet Advisor
Merck Manual
Blackwell's 5 Minute Vet
Small Animal Medical Differential Diagnosis
VIN
Other than that I looked back at my class notes for a lot of things, sometimes ended up diving into the more specialty textbooks

I kept a small pocket notebook for quick patient notes and a large A5 size for topic notes and such

Edit: I second Plumb's and Clinicians Brief! I had to look at which calculator app I use, it's VetCalc+.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! For some of the big books(like Blackwell’s) did you try to get ebook versions? Or did you find that you were using them more when you were home from clinics to prep for things? I’m definitely more of physical copy type of person but some of those seem pretty big to lug around the hospital, unless you didn’t have issues with it!

Thank you both! For some of the big books(like Blackwell’s) did you try to get ebook versions? Or did you find that you were using them more when you were home from clinics to prep for things? I’m definitely more of physical copy type of person but some of those seem pretty big to lug around the hospital, unless you didn’t have issues with it!
I used ebooks (or apps depending on the book) pretty much exclusively because they were cheaper and more portable. After graduation I did buy physical copies of my favorites.

Reactions: 1 users