Clin Path Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peytonbramlett9

Reaction score
Just started second year clinical pathology. Does anyone have any good resources for flow charts? I'd make my own, but I'm so lost in the course so far, I wouldn't want to create something that's wrong or missing things. Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Eclinpath is amazing for a quick google. The book Stockham and Scott’s Fundamentals of Vet Clin Path has exhaustive lists and explains the physiology best of any book imo. I have flow charts but they were created by an instructor and not something I’m at liberty to share.

(Edit: Source: I’m a clinical pathologist)

Reactions: 4 users
Also, the Sharkey book of case studies is really great for working through if you struggle with clin path. I needed as much practice as I could get, and I found that book very helpful.

Link

Members don't see this ad :)
Eclinpath is amazing for a quick google. The book Stockham and Scott’s Fundamentals of Vet Clin Path has exhaustive lists and explains the physiology best of any book imo. I have flow charts but they were created by an instructor and not something I’m at liberty to share.

Yes, I looked at eclinpath but they didn't have flow charts. That's really the resource I'm going for. and shame about the instructor, thanks anyways!

Just started second year clinical pathology. Does anyone have any good resources for flow charts? I'd make my own, but I'm so lost in the course so far, I wouldn't want to create something that's wrong or missing things. Thank you in advance!!
A flow chart for what? Hematology vs chem? Differentials or next tests based on findings?

Stockham and Scott is excellent. My go to text for Clin Path. Sharkey and Radin (Manual of Veterinary Clinical Chemistry: A Case Study Approach) is also a great source of 'problem sets' in chemistry analysis.

I just thought of this one as well: Willard and Tvedten, Small Animal Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods is also great. This text will put the clin path findings into context for you.

You honestly might have to make them for yourself.

I highly recommend this.

Grab cMAP, a free concept mapping software (or something similar, hell you can just make them in Powerpoint if you really want) and make your own diagnostic flowcharts (and concept maps of anything else you like as well (Cmap | CmapTools)

Making the charts yourself forces you to learn it along the way, and you can customize it to the areas you need to most help in. We use these extensively in the curriculum I teach in. Passive learning (i.e. reading and highlighting) is the least effective form of studying. Active mind-building exercises are far better at promoting retention and retrieval.

(Edit similar to Jayna lol) Source: I'm an anatomic pathologist and teach at both medical and veterinary institutions

Reactions: 1 user