NAVLE and Clinics/Clinical Year - questions about your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetExplorer

Reaction score
I would like to know about your school and your experience (bring on the data!!)

1. Clinical year - is sitting for the NAVLE an excused absence from your clinical rotations?
  2. NAVLE prep - did/does your school give or subsidize a NAVLE prep program (i.g. VetPrep)?
  3. Pre-Clinical - when did/does your school introduce the details of clinical year to you?
  4. What school do/did you attend? Feel free to skip if you'd prefer
  5. Anything else you want to share I would love to hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

UMN 2022 grad:
1. Sitting for NAVLE is an excused absence (I expect this is the case at every school since it's critical for licensing and accreditation) Students often choose to take NAVLE during lighter rotations or vacation blocks to have more prep and decompression time.
2. No subsidizing that I'm aware of. VetPep and Zuku have sales around the same time each year that most students take advantage of
3. UMN does tracking (small animal/large animal etc), so it's discussed somewhat in first and second year. Tracks are chosen during 2nd year and determine 3rd year courses and 4th year rotations. 4th year electives are chosen/requested during 3rd year fall (October-ish) and the schedule is generated by Jan I think?

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to know about your school and your experience (bring on the data!!)

1. Clinical year - is sitting for the NAVLE an excused absence from your clinical rotations?
Yes, and I would expect this to be the case at every program.
  1. NAVLE prep - did/does your school give or subsidize a NAVLE prep program (i.g. VetPrep)?
No. I know there are some programs that do and I am jealous, tbh.
  1. Pre-Clinical - when did/does your school introduce the details of clinical year to you?
I think 3rd year? I did not have a traditional path through vet school so SnowJ's experience is probably more current and accurate than mine.
  1. What school do/did you attend? Feel free to skip if you'd prefer
Minnesota c/o 2020 initially and now c/o 2024
  1. Anything else you want to share I would love to hear it!
I see a lot of people stressing about how they're going to study for NAVLE on clinics while forgetting that your rotations are, in effect, also studying, just in a different form than plugging through VetPrep or Zuku. Of course, you'll have more study time on some rotations than others, but I found that I was able to stick to the schedule VetPrep made for me really regardless of what rotation I was on. I haven't taken my NAVLE yet (about 2 weeks away), but I've reached 94% completion following that schedule, completing all of my clinical duties, and still managing to have a life outside the hospital most of the time too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. It technically is an excused absence but the school warns us to always check off the rotation director to ensure we can take the day off during that rotation. Usually students don’t have problems take the day off when taking the NAVLE while on rotation.
2. Nope. We had to pay for our own study materials.
3. We started having meetings regarding clinical year around Oct of our 3rd year. We get our clinical year schedule around Dec/January of our 3rd year and start clinics in Mar. There are a few weeks that we are allowed to request specifically to have off for ie a very competitive rotation when administration is formulating the schedule.
4. Tufts

2. NAVLE prep - did/does your school give or subsidize a NAVLE prep program (i.g. VetPrep)?
  3. Pre-Clinical - when did/does your school introduce the details of clinical year to you?
University of Glasgow
1. Our school is 5 years with 5th year being rotations and when we sit the NAVLE. When setting final year schedules they ask which block you'd like to take off.
2. Yes. We are provided VetPrep
3. Third year we are told about the different core rotations and choosing our selective. But not details on day-to-day (such as schedule). Beginning of 4th year we are given our final year schedule.
5. They're adding that the results of our 4th year will allow us to either get permission to sit in the fall or April. If we are told we have to take it in April then we can have the opportunity to take a practice test and must pass. ( this is in order for their pass rates to increase because they have been pretty bad in recent years)

1. Yes, we get one day off rotations for the NAVLE no questions asked. A couple of rotations offer an additional day off if you want.
2. Yes, we got the VIN NAVLE prep paid for by the school and a small subsidy for a prep program (I did vetprep)
3. We started talking about it second year.
4. Michigan state
5. I thought clinicals were better studying than any prep program could ever be.