research in other fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have all my research/pubs in surgery, yet I want to do derm...will that hurt me a lot?...I am a US img at a very reputable european med school(we had people go into many competitive specialties from our school, though I havent heard of any derms though)...Plan on doing loads of electives in derm, havent take the boards yet, but am very soon(i know i need a 240-260) ...think i have a chance?
Reason I have my research in surgery is because it was the first place I could get it at...It is very difficult for any img to get research, esp in derm, so I took the first thing available, but it is at a reputable institution in the states.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that research and publications in any field is useful. (I'm sure there are those that prefer derm-related research but there might be others who appreciate students who keep an open mind and did research in what initially interested them)

Again, I'm not completely sure, but my guess is that your IMG status might play more of a role than the field in which you did research!

Would have to agree with cdql. While Derm PD's usually look for a desire to do, and some experience in, research, your major stumbling block is likely to be your school, not your research field. With so many highly qualified applicants from LCME-accredited schools, you'd invariably be disadvantaged, unless perhaps if the PD is personally familiar with your school, or it happens to be Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial College (and even then, it's likely to be tough).
Obviously, you should apply to whatever field you feel suits you. However, you might end up with a lot of Derm electives, which aren't really going to help you. Honestly, it's fairly straightforward, that PD's in any field with many applicants can be selective, and that they - all other things being equal - would prefer a candidate coming from a known entity, i.e. a North American medical school.