Osteopathic dermatologists: Able or unable to obtain MOHS and other fellowships not being AAD board?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermatoFIGHT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was told recently that DO cannot do MOHS fellowships if they are not boarded by AAD according to secretary. Does anyone know if this is fact or that fellowship in particular?

Has anyone experience with this in the past 3 years as I was told this changed in 2011 restricting them.

Members don't see this ad.

ABD, not AAD.

A DO can do a fellowship if they complete an ACGME derm residency as that is how you get ABD to board you. Try a DO fellowship, there are a few.

ABD, not AAD.

A DO can do a fellowship if they complete an ACGME derm residency as that is how you get ABD to board you. Try a DO fellowship, there are a few.

Thank you for the reply. Is there a way to do a ACGME fellowship while completing an AOA residency? I know in internal medicine specialties this is possible but was not sure with dermatology programs.

Was told recently that DO cannot do MOHS fellowships if they are not boarded by AAD according to secretary. Does anyone know if this is fact or that fellowship in particular?

Has anyone experience with this in the past 3 years as I was told this changed in 2011 restricting them.

Not sure how this works with the upcoming merger. But in general, there is a bias against DO applicants for ACGME Mohs fellowships (but not impossible, I've met quite a few DOs who have done ACGME accredited Mohs fellowships). I have heard of DO Mohs fellowships where your chances for acceptance are higher. Again, this may change with the upcoming merger.