Applying to a Backup Specialty when Applying to Derm, other competitive specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magneto1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this as it seems to be a common inquiry as well as personally for me. Is there any good way to gauge if applying to a backup specialty is necessary/worth the time when applying to more competitive specialties such as Dermatology, Orthopedics, etc.? Specifically, this question is regarding applying to TWO specialties, one being the competitive specialty and the other (no disrespect to these specialties) being IM, Family, Peds, etc.

My hinderance to applying to two specialties, especially when the first feels like such a great fit, is that I would basically be putting on a dual identity when interviewing at the other specialties programs and be concerned that if word got out between the specialties (within a program for example) that I would be seen as not committed and be dropped by both. Any insight is appreciated, especially from seasoned veterans of this process!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I'd start this as it seems to be a common inquiry as well as personally for me. Is there any good way to gauge if applying to a backup specialty is necessary/worth the time when applying to more competitive specialties such as Dermatology, Orthopedics, etc.? Specifically, this question is regarding applying to TWO specialties, one being the competitive specialty and the other (no disrespect to these specialties) being IM, Family, Peds, etc.

My hinderance to applying to two specialties, especially when the first feels like such a great fit, is that I would basically be putting on a dual identity when interviewing at the other specialties programs and be concerned that if word got out between the specialties (within a program for example) that I would be seen as not committed and be dropped by both. Any insight is appreciated, especially from seasoned veterans of this process!

There's no great answer.

You'll get the purists who argue that if specialty #1 is your true goal, then you should plug away with no backup to prove you are truly committed.

You'll get the realists who argue that going unmatched can be a disaster professional and financially and that you should protect yourself by having a backup plan in place.

I don't think anyone can really give you a true gauge of who needs the backup and who doesn't. You are always welcome to use the WAMC sticky thread to get a general consensus from others on this board but we are all guessing when we offer our advice. While the likelihood of anyone finding out that you are dual-applying is low (assuming you keep a low profile), the chances aren't zero. And if someone finds out, it can certainly backfire.

I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but in the end, it's usually a decision each individual applicant has to make and there is no correct answer. FWIW, I applied without a true backup plan. I would have been happy going into IM. I matched into a very competitive community IM program for my prelim year. They knew me well enough as a medical student that they would be happy to accommodate me as a categorical IM resident if things did not work out for me in dermatology (and even let me know this during my interview). If you can finagle a similar arrangement, that may not be a bad way to approach it.

This is a tough question to answer without knowing your odds of matching. If you are a superstar candidate (260+ step 1, derm publications, top 10 Med school, stellar recommendation letters from well respected academic dermatologists), then certainly the risks of dual applications outweigh the potential benefit. If you are a weak candidate, the opposite is perhaps true.

If you are more of a "pretty good shot, but not guaranteed" type of applicant, then one good option is to apply to really competitive IM programs for your intern year (MGH, UCSF, etc) and then, if you don't match, your intern year will at least look impressive. Also, you could do further derm rotations or research during intern year at those kind of places and improve your chances down the road. Also could complete the IM residency at one of those places and apply after having completed one residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no great answer.

You'll get the purists who argue that if specialty #1 is your true goal, then you should plug away with no backup to prove you are truly committed.

You'll get the realists who argue that going unmatched can be a disaster professional and financially and that you should protect yourself by having a backup plan in place.

I don't think anyone can really give you a true gauge of who needs the backup and who doesn't. You are always welcome to use the WAMC sticky thread to get a general consensus from others on this board but we are all guessing when we offer our advice. While the likelihood of anyone finding out that you are dual-applying is low (assuming you keep a low profile), the chances aren't zero. And if someone finds out, it can certainly backfire.

I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but in the end, it's usually a decision each individual applicant has to make and there is no correct answer. FWIW, I applied without a true backup plan. I would have been happy going into IM. I matched into a very competitive community IM program for my prelim year. They knew me well enough as a medical student that they would be happy to accommodate me as a categorical IM resident if things did not work out for me in dermatology (and even let me know this during my interview). If you can finagle a similar arrangement, that may not be a bad way to approach it.
Thanks that actually helps a bit. I've heard that "Pre-lim accommodating as a categorial IM" for a few others, does that mean you wouldn't have to go through the Match again (just interview at that program and get offered the spot or you do the match but its just a guarantee pretty much?

This is a tough question to answer without knowing your odds of matching. If you are a superstar candidate (260+ step 1, derm publications, top 10 Med school, stellar recommendation letters from well respected academic dermatologists), then certainly the risks of dual applications outweigh the potential benefit. If you are a weak candidate, the opposite is perhaps true.

If you are more of a "pretty good shot, but not guaranteed" type of applicant, then one good option is to apply to really competitive IM programs for your intern year (MGH, UCSF, etc) and then, if you don't match, your intern year will at least look impressive. Also, you could do further derm rotations or research during intern year at those kind of places and improve your chances down the road. Also could complete the IM residency at one of those places and apply after having completed one residency.
When you say "apply to ...IM program for Intern year" do you mean a TY/Pre-lim or an actual IM residency?

Thanks that actually helps a bit. I've heard that "Pre-lim accommodating as a categorial IM" for a few others, does that mean you wouldn't have to go through the Match again (just interview at that program and get offered the spot or you do the match but its just a guarantee pretty much?

Yes it means you wouldn't have to go through the match again. It's not a guarantee however as the program either jettisons one of its other residents to make room for you or keeps slots unmatched to fit in prelims converting to categoricals after PGY-1. There isn't anything guaranteeing they have to give you a spot beyond the PGY-1 year that you matched into.

I would also double check but my understanding is that this is a legitimate pathway as a prelim IM intern but not as a prelim surgery intern.

Does anyone know if any DO's ever matched in MGH dermatology?