Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepValue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying for residency, do you have to get your recommendation letters from the doctors you worked with on your school rotations? Or can you get them from doctors that you shadowed outside of school?

Members don't see this ad.

When applying for residency, do you have to get your recommendation letters from the doctors you worked with on your school rotations? Or can you get them from doctors that you shadowed outside of school?
wait i am confused. Are you asking about residency application or medical school application? (i see that it looks like you are just applying this cycle). Why are you asking so prematurely? trying to plan ahead?

wait i am confused. Are you asking about residency application or medical school application? (i see that it looks like you are just applying this cycle). Why are you asking so prematurely? trying to plan ahead?

Yes, trying to plan ahead. I was wondering about residency applications specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, trying to plan ahead. I was wondering about residency applications specifically.
right, ok. So for residency applications you will get the letter from attendings or program directors of your rotations (those could be away rotations or local rotations) AND a letter from your PI, if you did research for a while and want to apply to academic place. The idea is to get letters from people who saw you perform (actually do stuff) and perform like you would as a resident, and they can say that "yeah, this guy is hardworking, great to work with, etc". So they need to see how you actually function in a team.

right, ok. So for residency applications you will get the letter from attendings or program directors of your rotations (those could be away rotations or local rotations) AND a letter from your PI, if you did research for a while and want to apply to academic place. The idea is to get letters from people who saw you perform (actually do stuff) and perform like you would as a resident, and they can say that "yeah, this guy is hardworking, great to work with, etc". So they need to see how you actually function in a team.

So these rotations have to be school sponsored rotations? I can't just shadow any physician in my desired specialty outside of school and get recommendations from them?

So these rotations have to be school sponsored rotations? I can't just shadow any physician in my desired specialty outside of school and get recommendations from them?
SHADOWING is not what you will need. you will need to DO things, actively, you'll need to "be a doctor".

Reactions: 1 users
just curious, - why are you asking?

In case my school doesn't offer rotations in the specialty I want to go into, I'm wondering how I would go about getting recommendations when applying to that residency program.

In case my school doesn't offer rotations in the specialty I want to go into, I'm wondering how I would go about getting recommendations when applying to that residency program.
than you do elective. Every school has designated slots for electives. Its fine. but it is not "SHADOWING".

than you do elective. Every school has designated slots for electives. Its fine. but it is not "SHADOWING".

Ok got it. No shadowing. But if I do one of these elective rotations, can I pick anywhere in the country to do it with any doctor I want? Or do they usually restrict where you can do it?

Ok got it. No shadowing. But if I do one of these elective rotations, can I pick anywhere in the country to do it with any doctor I want? Or do they usually restrict where you can do it?
shadowing is very useful for medical school, but not in the way you think. You can shadow people to find your specialty of choice, or to explore subspecialties. But you dont get letters from those, because they are passive in nature. You need a letter that will reflect how you will act as a resident, as a doctor. and that is NOT shadowing. That is a rotation of M4 level, preferably.

whether they are restricted or not depends on the school policy. Our school doesnt restrict per se, but you have to fill out a special form to apply for your own elective. But also, you can apply for away rotations in other schools, - for that you go through a separate application service when you are an M3, and the rotations themselves take place during M4 year, - great opportunity to establish connections in a certain residency to increase your chances of being interviewed there. So for away rotations you are go anywhere in the country, essentially.

They have to be on letterhead so the programs would know.

Reactions: 1 user
the other important aspect - you will be able to provide only 3-4 letters for residency. Thats it. You need to make them count! get them from program directors, or attendings that have good pull.