Letter of Recommendation from a rotation where you only see residents but not attendings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Currently on a rotation where I talk with residents every time and barely get to see attendings. The only time I can see an attending is when we are doing rounds but there are two problems with that: 1) Rounds are with several different attendings and rounds for any single attending is only 15-20 minutes and 2) there are a million med students and residents and med students are only supposed to "speak when spoken to" during rounds.

The residents and interns are super nice. But I want an LOR from this rotation. So, how does does this work? Do the residents just tell the attending about my performance, or maybe the resident writes the letter and attending signs it? Would anyone advise against getting this type of LOR in the first place?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a reason you’re hoping to get a letter from this rotation? It seems like you don’t get to spend a significant amount of time with any attendings so I’m trying to understand why you would want a letter from someone who won’t know you well.

Is there a reason you’re hoping to get a letter from this rotation? It seems like you don’t get to spend a significant amount of time with any attendings so I’m trying to understand why you would want a letter from someone who won’t know you well.

I want to go into the specialty

Members don't see this ad :)
Resident letters are worthless unless they write it for the attending who then signs it. If you are on really good terms with a resident, suggest this. Otherwise, don’t.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice is tell the attendings at the start of your work with them - the sooner the better, Say you want a letter this rotation. That gives them time to use the residents to collect data about you, and pay close attention during rounds.

Resident letters are not a thing. The attending may have a resident who worked close with you draft something… but thats not your business. In the end, the attending is the reference.

Reactions: 1 user
Resident letters are worthless unless they write it for the attending who then signs it. If you are on really good terms with a resident, suggest this. Otherwise, don’t.

My advice is tell the attendings at the start of your work with them - the sooner the better, Say you want a letter this rotation. That gives them time to use the residents to collect data about you, and pay close attention during rounds.

Resident letters are not a thing. The attending may have a resident who worked close with you draft something… but thats not your business. In the end, the attending is the reference.

Should I just ask some of the residents I’ve become close with about how to get an LOR from the attending? And they could tell me exactly what to do?

Just ask the residents directly. Tell them you’re going in to that field and need letters and ask how to go about it. Surely you’re not the first or last student facing this same issue on this rotation. It’s ok to be direct; everyone knows students need letters. They all did the same thing a couple years ago!