Letter of Recommendation or Networking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConstantlyFailingUp

Reaction score
M3 here. I'm on a block that I'm not interested in pursuing as a career, but I've really hit it off with the attendings. One was impressed enough to mention they want to write me a letter of rec for residency. I've never directly worked with this attending, but I've signed out/presented patients to them, and they have heard great things about me from the attendings I have worked with. In addition, the attending has mentioned this is the FIRST time in a long career that they have gone out of their way to offer a LoR to a student. This attending was chief resident at T20 residency for their field, with a similarly ranked IM program. With my scores, research, and background, this program would be a reach, but not a pipe dream.

Should I just take the W, accept the letter graciously, and move on with my life?

or

They've already said I've impressed them enough I'll be the first person they go out of their way to recommend, should I go for broke and ask them to help me network with the IM program at their residency institution? Would this be pushing my luck too far or insulting?

Editing to add: This attending knows I'm not interested in their field and also knows what I AM interested, they've offered a letter regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the letter, for sure.

As a fourth year who had not one, not two, but THREE letter writers bail, it’s way better to have too many letters than not enough. I asked a bunch of people, so I was fine… but I know students who only asked a few people for letters and ended up with their apps being complete late. Whatever else you do with your time, don’t turn your nose up at a letter. You can have unlimited letters in ERAS, so you lose nothing by getting a letter from this person.

If they’ve said things that nice about you, I don’t think it would hurt to also ask them to help you network. But I’d do it AFTER you have your letter from them, just in case.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above post. Get the letter first. Most of my letters were from folks outside of my intended specialty. A great letter tops a good/BS letter from someone in the field. It's all about the connection. As for the prying into, it depends on your relationship with the attending. If close, then should not hurt. You don't want to come off as too aggressive.