Rearview Mirror: The Mods Don't Want to Shut Us Down, So We did it Ourselves.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...and the new page is mine!

Members don't see this ad.

Super-busy between having USMLEWORLD kick my butt and this class I'm TAing

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully no one will come to my office hours today so I can study

I also need to deliver a review session on sunday :scared:

i love gmail...

my life used to be so dark and disorganized...

the way emails are just grouped together nicely... it's organized and LOGICAL

Did you guys see this article in the ACEP today email?

Medicare to stop paying hospitals for preventable medical errors.

The AP (2/19, Neergaard) reports that, beginning in October, Medicare will no longer "pay hospitals when they commit certain errors." Additionally, hospitals will be barred from "bill[ing] the injured patient for those extra costs." Furthermore, "[n]ext year Medicare will add three more errors to the no-pay list" for a total of 11. Hospitals are "exploring innovative programs to prevent injury and infection," including "[h]and-washing spies," urgical sponges that sound an alarm if left in the body," or "a room sterilizer that promises to wipe out bacteria left lurking on bedrails." According to Dr. Steven Gordeon, infectious disease chief at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, this increased attention to hospital safety is because "[m]oney talks," and the new regulations get the attention of "[e]very hospital CFO."

In a separate story, the AP (2/19) details the eight preventable medical errors that Medicare will no longer cover as of October, including "rinary tract" or "bloodstream infections from using catheters," falls, bedsores, equipment "left in a patient during surgery," incompatible blood transfusions, "[a]n infection after heart surgery called mediastinitis," and "[a]ir embolism."

I was under the impression that catheters will eventually cause infections after long term use. Am I misled on this?

Did you guys see this article in the ACEP today email?

I was under the impression that catheters will eventually cause infections after long term use. Am I misled on this?

I think the point is they want people to change IVs frequently. I know the hospital I transport to as an EMT wants all IVs started in the field/ED changed within 12 hours of the patient getting to the floor. The theory (whether this is true or not, I don't know) is that the field and the ED are "dirtier" than the floors, so changing the IVs reduces the chance of a hospital acquired infection.

in other news ef has been named chief for next yr

Members don't see this ad :)
This afternoon I did 7 paps/culpos.

ewww...

Assuming you didn't find that too fun either.

Would rather do them myself than stand and watch someone else do them. Besides I'm a believer in the 'it could be worse' mentality...

missed out on h24g again!

Hopefully i can finish in the top 5 of this thread.

time will tell esp if they arent gonna shut this thing down anytime soon.

EM2BE 252
sleepymed 178
Hard24Get 152
Dr. Dukes 74
EctopicFetus 63
SoCuteMD 61
roja 32
WallowaWanderer 31
Dr.McNinja 8
Toohotinvegas33 7
hyperbaric 4
ccfccp 4
EvoDevo 3
Dr. Will 2
iatrosB 2
theCamel 1
wistarrat 1

This Dukes fella is rollin me up

I have some stamina though.. Dukes are you new or just someone who changed their name

speaking of, I wonder where he is tonight...

I'm listening to my motivational song...heard it through the grapevine

Don't ask why it's motivational...no sensical reason.

I have found out through a few misfortunes that my school is actually very nice and understanding. Always a way for the school to get some bonus points.

em2be Im at almost 8500 you have a way to go my friend

EM2BE - I don't think you were around for the original. EF was the MASTER PADDER!

I guess I should have clarified...a new competitor in this thread.

EM2BE - I don't think you were around for the original. EF was the MASTER PADDER!

Socute.. i prefer IS over was.. i dont add anything to this whole site but i have almost 9k posts. :)

yes we will see.. im aiming for a top 5 finish.. I dont fail in my goals..
I remember. You showed me how I had no chance at beating you once. Won't even bother trying again.

im so tired and the in service is around the corner

tomorrow will have to be another quality day.

i would like a decent showing you know?