Rearview Mirror: Still haven't dropped and still not gettin lucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no whammy!

16candles

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
totally understand that one...do you know the way to figure fluid deficit?

It is clinical and is like less output (minimal) --> thick output (mild) --> no output (mod) --> dying/distress (severe). Not sure of a good way to memorize the percentages, but maybe 1% --> 3% --> 9% --->12%?

totally understand that one...do you know the way to figure fluid deficit?

fluid deficit (L) = weight (kg) × % dehydration, i think

It is clinical and is like less output (minimal) --> thick output (mild) --> no output (mod) --> dying/distress (severe). Not sure of a good way to memorize the percentages, but maybe 1% --> 3% --> 9% --->12%?

So in any of these types of problems, they'd pretty much have to give percentages or at least clinical symptoms?

So does %weight loss = %dehydration? Then you assume g=mL replacement?

yep, i think* of tachycardia ~5, orthostatic ~10%, hypotension >10%

(*minimal clinical experience at work here, but works ok for exam purposes)

yep, i think* of tachycardia ~5, orthostatic ~10%, hypotension >10%

(*minimal clinical experience at here, but works ok for exam purposes)

true, but in practice it's like less wet diapers --> thick mucous --> no tears --> lethargy because the thought is that kids often compensate without tachycardia/hypotension until just before they crash :)

true, but in practice it's like less wet diapers --> thick mucous --> no tears --> lethargy because the thought is that kids often compensate without tachycardia/hypotension until just before they crash :)

You guys are a great help! I should have asked all this stuff the first time we got this lecture (back in January/Feb sometime).

Hence my for-exam-purposes warning. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up getting this lecture to scribe. Probably a good thing so that I actually learn it this time (or at least try).

Hence my for-exam-purposes warning. :p

I know. That's how I learned it, too, thus you are more useful for her purposes :laugh:. It is sometimes used for adults, still, although they are big enough that if you think they look dry, you can just bolus 'em without actually calculating anything (generally you end up titrating to urine output or lactate normalization, anyway).

You guys are a great help! I should have asked all this stuff the first time we got this lecture (back in January/Feb sometime).

it's fun to talk about but don't forget to check up on what we say using legitimate sources. For all you know we might not even be medical students. :eek:

it's fun to talk about but don't forget to check up on what we say using legitimate sources. For all you know we might not even be medical students. :eek:

ha. I am double checking and referencing the notes to make sure it matches up. If it doesn't, I put it in the back of my mind for a time I might be in a pinch and can't do what I understood.

I don't think a person can fake being stressed about matching as well as you do :)

I don't think a person can fake being stressed about matching as well as you do :)

and seeing this probably made you compulsively check your emails :smuggrin:

% dehydration = fraction, you mean (ie not for 10% not 10 but 0.1) :)

No, I meant it to read as it is typed. Although, you could easily subsitute the fraction for the percentage. The math is the same.

10% = .1

40 x 10% = 4
40 x .1 = 4

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point?

I'm pre-law. :D

You totally caught me - I didn't even realize you triggered it! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm assuming that since it's past 5, you probably won't get any more emails until tomorrow...maybe it doesn't work that way though.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point?

Yes, thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I was pointing out that when you say % dehydration, the literal interpretation is that 10% dehydration = 10 in the formula. If you say dehydration expressed in terms of percent or fraction, it is clear that 0.1 or 10%, not 10, is meant to be used. So that in your example people do this:

40 x 10% = 4
40 x .1 = 4

instead of this:

40 x 10 = 400

I'm assuming that since it's past 5, you probably won't get any more emails until tomorrow...maybe it doesn't work that way though.

there is always the West Coast and industrious administrators to hope for :smuggrin:

Yes, thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I was pointing out that when you say % dehydration, the literal interpretation is that 10% dehydration = 10 in the formula. If you say dehydration expressed in terms of percent or fraction, it is clear that 0.1 or 10%, not 10, is meant to be used. So that in your example people do this:

40 x 10% = 4
40 x .1 = 4

instead of this:

40 x 10 = 400

I am forced to lend that benefit as I am sometimes slow to catch on. :) But, now, I'm with you.

there is always the West Coast and industrious administrators to hope for :smuggrin:

good luck with that one...past 4 there. Doesn't that mean they are done for the day too??? :laugh:

What's so bad about it is that when I checked my email just now I had a message from a faculty member at my home program, and earlier when I insisted on checking my email before lunching with a friend I got a NY interview - I know the more I am rewarded for this behavior, the more it will persist! :laugh:

what class are you taking now, hyperbaric?

Oh...didn't realize pre-law's learned all this science stuff. Must want to do malpractice. ;)

You know it. I troll SDN, spreading misinformation so that I might set the stage for future claims.

You know it. I troll SDN, spreading misinformation so that I might set the stage for future claims.

hahahaha...would be funny for a malpractice lawyer to state his site of info was sdn.

What's so bad about it is that when I checked my email just now I had a message from a faculty member at my home program, and earlier when I insisted on checking my email before lunching with a friend I got a NY interview - I know the more I am rewarded for this behavior, the more it will persist! :laugh:

very true. I'll email your programs for you and tell them to stop rewarding you if you want me to. :smuggrin:

Gotta go. Buenos noches.

ok, who wants to learn ENT?

we have been quite busy today!

I shall force myself to stay up until 8 or so, then I'm hitting the hay

Status
Not open for further replies.