Re-applicant WAMC/School List Help -- URM, 515 MCAT, 3.82cGPA/3.78sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FernThePlant

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had an atrocious school list for the '22-23 application cycle and need some insight as to where I should be shooting my shot. Just graduated in December and am in the process of preparing for a gap year and new application.

1. GPA: 3.82cGPA/3.78sGPA
  2. MCAT: 515: 127 C/P -- 130 CARS -- 126 B/B -- 132 P/S
  3. Residency: Kansas resident, born and raised here
  4. Ethnicity/Race: Mexican-American, U.S. citizen, mom immigrated at age 19
  5. Undergrad: University of Kansas
  6. Clinical experience: Just started a scribe job a few weeks ago, currently working over 40h/week, anticipating keeping it up until I am accepted -- Not really clinical, but I also have over 3,500 hours as a pharmacy technician
  7. Research experience: 150 hours doing an independent project in a psych lab two years ago, nothing notable came out of it -- currently in the works of getting onboarded onto another psych lab
  8. Shadowing: 80 hours across various specialties (hospitalist, cards, ER, surgery, nephrology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: About 50 hours so far working in homeless shelters -- Really enjoying it, planning on 3-10 hours/week for as long as I can
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 2 years leadership experience in a social fraternity, published album reviews online as a hobby, obsessed with weightlifting and running (when the weather is good), 1 semester as an RA
  11. Relevant honors or awards: None
  12. Miscellaneous: From a rural area -- low-income, single parent household -- speak Spanish natively

I'm looking to shoot around the T20-60 range but I am wanting to gauge my competitiveness before I get ahead of myself -- all feedback is welcome and very much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Had an atrocious school list for the '22-23 application cycle and need some insight as to where I should be shooting my shot. Just graduated in December and am in the process of preparing for a gap year and new application.

4. Ethnicity/Race: Mexican-American, U.S. citizen, mom immigrated at age 19
  5. Undergrad: University of Kansas
  6. Clinical experience: Just started a scribe job a few weeks ago, currently working over 40h/week, anticipating keeping it up until I am accepted -- Not really clinical, but I also have over 3,500 hours as a pharmacy technician
  7. Research experience: 150 hours doing an independent project in a psych lab two years ago, nothing notable came out of it -- currently in the works of getting onboarded onto another psych lab
  8. Shadowing: 80 hours across various specialties (hospitalist, cards, ER, surgery, nephrology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: About 50 hours so far working in homeless shelters -- Really enjoying it, planning on 3-10 hours/week for as long as I can
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 2 years leadership experience in a social fraternity, published album reviews online as a hobby, obsessed with weightlifting and running (when the weather is good), 1 semester as an RA
  11. Relevant honors or awards: None
  12. Miscellaneous: From a rural area -- low-income, single parent household -- speak Spanish natively

I'm looking to shoot around the T20-60 range but I am wanting to gauge my competitiveness before I get ahead of myself -- all feedback is welcome and very much appreciated
I saw that you asked for help with your school list last cycle, did you use the suggestions or go your own way? #1
Which schools interviewed you? Any wait lists?

I saw that you asked for help with your school list last cycle, did you use the suggestions or go your own way?
Which schools interviewed you? Any wait lists?

I went my own way and learned my lesson. I was interviewed by both Kansas (rejected) and a T40 school (WL). I am self-supported financially and had lots of trouble with FAP because of parental estrangement, so my school list was very small.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your lack of clinical experience and non clinical volunteering were major factors in your poor application cycle.It appears that you will be correcting those deficiencies in the coming months before you reapply. I suggest these schools:
Kansas
Creighton
TCU
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Kaiser
Colorado
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Boston University
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
You need to apply to many schools in order to maximize your chances for interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Posted a similar thread a few months ago and am looking to optimize my school list with my updated hours and activities. I am currently on one waitlist but am assuming a rejection until an email from that school tells me otherwise. Thanks in advance for the help!
  4. Ethnicity/Race: Mexican-American, speak Spanish natively
  5. Undergrad: University of Kansas -- Molecular Bio major with minors in Sociology and Psychology
  6. Clinical experience: 350 hours as a medical scribe at an ortho clinic -- Conservative projection of 25 hours/week from here on out
  7. Research experience: 150 hours doing an independent project in a social psych lab two years ago -- 100 or so hours in a clinical psychology lab where I am primarily helping write a manuscript and doing some data coding on the side (5 hours a week projection from now)
  8. Non-Clinical Employment: 4,000+ hours as a retail pharmacy technician, 150 hours as a Census worker in SW Kansas
  9. Shadowing: 80 hours across various specialties (hospitalist, cards, ER, surgery, nephrology)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: 100-150 hours in homeless shelters doing supply distribution, serving meals, and general maintenance of facility (projecting 3-6 hours from here on out)
  11. Other extracurricular activities: 2 years leadership experience in a social fraternity, album reviews and general music discourse online as a hobby, weightlifting and running, 1 semester as an RA
  12. Relevant honors or awards: Several honors rolls, $1,000 undergrad research grant
  13. Miscellaneous: First-generation U.S. citizen, low-income single parent household, from a rural and underserved area. Writing in application is centered around social determinants of health.

Current School List:
  1. Kansas (post-II R this cycle)
  2. Brown (post-II WL this cycle)
  3. TCU
  4. Colorado
  5. Miami Miller
  6. Cincinnati
  7. USC-Keck
  8. BostonU
  9. Dartmouth
  10. UVA
  11. Arizona-Phoenix
  12. Arizona-Tuscon
  13. Wake Forest
  14. USF Morsani
  15. Jefferson
  16. Tulane
  17. Hofstra
  18. Vermont
  19. UChicago (reach)
  20. Northwestern (reach)
  21. Case Western (reach)
My goal here is to expand this list by approximately 10 schools. I'd like to look at schools like Creighton, Loyola and SLU but I feel that my low volunteer hours rule me out. I also don't know if my ECs warrant a shot at the T30 range regardless of my URM+stats combo, though I really would like a research component to my future work. I am also averse to any schools in NYC as I have a strong preference for places that are not-so-densely-populated as a product of my upbringing in rural KS.

Last edited:
Good luck with Brown, but you were really a post-interview R with your in-state? Tell us more about why you think that happened. Did you apply to all the schools on your list this past cycle, or which ones are newer?

Have you connected with LMSA student officers at the schools of greatest interest to you?

Reactions: 1 user
Posted a similar thread a few months ago and am looking to optimize my school list with my updated hours and activities.

I have merged your threads.

Apply using Faha’s list. You could try Albany since that school is in a less dense area elsewhere in NY state.

Good luck with Brown, but you were really a post-interview R with your in-state? Tell us more about why you think that happened. Did you apply to all the schools on your list this past cycle, or which ones are newer?

Have you connected with LMSA student officers at the schools of greatest interest to you?
I honestly had an atrocity of an interview and was not at all surprised by the R.

Kansas and Brown are the only schools I plan to re-apply to, all others are new.

I have not connected with anybody within LMSA and was unaware about this possibility. I will look into it soon, thank you for the info!

Huge thanks to everybody on SDN that helped along the way 🙏🙏 Happy to say that my cycle is over -- Sankey diagram below for anybody with similar applications looking to get a feel for how they might fare

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 8.02.39 PM.png

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users