WAMC/School list help 3.68cGPA + 503 MCAT, URM, FL, re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moldybread

Reaction score
Hi. Will be applying for 2024/5 cycle. Trying to get ahead with re-writing primary app + pre-writing secondaries:
  1. cGPA (3.68) and sGPA (3.5)
  2. MCAT score(s): taken 3 times: 495 in 2021, 496 in 2022, and most recently 503 (124/126/124/129). Considering taking a 4th time although this isn’t ideal.
  3. State of residence: FL
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Black + Hispanic = URM. SES disadvantaged.
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UCF ‘19
  6. Clinical experience: Volunteer at local hospitals/ clinics (~150 hrs) and paid work Scribing for 3.5 yrs so possibly ~2000 hrs + more bc gonna continue with current Doc
  7. Research experience: Research assistant during undergrad but it was non-science (social work). Helped with project planning + grant writing in Spanish
  8. Shadowing experience: (same as scribing)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: a lot of hours but experiences are old bc I did them during undergrad. Planning on doing more recent stuff now that I have an MCAT break (after the MCAT broke me, again)
  10. Other extracurricular activities: (again, all during undergrad): TA + pre-med club leadership + dancing club. Fun new hobbies though (outdoor activities + language learning)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s List (3.5+ GPA) for majority of semesters during undergrad + president’s honor roll (4.0)
  12. Non-clinical Work Experience: Years worth of PT + FT service industry (hostess at fancy shmancy restaurants)
  13. Application Focus: underrepresented in medicine + healthcare disparities + underserved communities.
As stated above, I’m a reapplicant (applied/submitted in 2022 before I took the MCAT). I received Fee assistance before and I will be applying for it again so there’s a possibility I can apply to 20 schools for free. Still, because of my lower stats, I’m aware that I need to apply broadly so I’m looking for help with a school list to apply to extra MD schools and however many DO schools that will be a good fit for me + my stats.

Current MD list (open to change + includes 20 schools that I may apply to if awarded fee assistance again):
  • FIU
  • UF
  • FSU
  • UCF
  • FAU
  • UM
  • Howard
  • Morehouse School of Medicine
  • Meharry
  • Tulane
  • NOVA
  • George Washington
  • Virginia Tech SOM
  • Wake Forest Univ SOM
  • Rush
  • Larner COM, Univ of Vermont
  • Georgetown University SOM
  • Eastern Virginia Med
  • Emory - REACH
  • UCLA David Geffen SOM - REACH
DO school list (incomplete bc I need to do my own research + will be adding way more):
  • Rowan
  • NYIT
  • PCOM
  • LECOM
  • VCOM
  • ACOM
  • KCU-COM

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice. Anything at all is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You should do better in the next cycle with a MCAT of 503. I suggest these MD schools:
Florida State
U Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
NOVA MD
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Tulane
Emory
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Indian
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM Bradenton
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Non-clinical volunteering: a lot of hours but experiences are old bc I did them during undergrad. Planning on doing more recent stuff
What did you do in undergrad with non-clinical community service?

Also, have you connected with any current students or been part of mentoring organizations for URM aspiring physicians? LMSA or SNMA chapter officers at the schools where you want to go?

If you previously applied for FAP, you may want to check with them if you can reapply. I think there is a limit, but I could be mistaken. You should plan on making a list presuming you will not qualify again for FAP. You should ask for the AACOMAS FAP if you did not apply before.